Does having a shootout at your fans' end make a difference?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Has there ever been any research into whether having a penalty shootout in front of your own fans makes a difference to the outcome? I was looking into the ABBA penalty system and the claim is with the traditional penalty format the team going first wins 60% of the time so wondered if which end made a difference. On a related point, do teams playing at home have an advantage in shootouts from a statistical point of view?

Mihai

Only if the penalties are taken by right footed players.

Chipper

Adulterer.
One difficulty I suppose is defining exactly what qualifies or what doesn't.

Wembley cup finals and the like should be quite easy, but let's say there's a cup tie at Old Trafford and the away side doesn't have a large following so they haven't been given the whole of K stand/the East stand like they sometimes get if they take up their full allocation, they just have the corner away teams usually have for league games. Is that counting? It's where their fans are but there'd still be more United fans at that end of the ground altogether and it would be United fans directly behind the goal.

Edit:

Think that happened with this one.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Chipper

I hadn't considered that. I was thinking of occasions mainly where the away fans were behind the goal. Either way it could be measure with a variety of position of fans. All my thought is we could determine which end, if any, is fairer to have shootout

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Some people feel scared or extra confident when singing on stage in a choir with their family sitting in front - so I don’t see why taking penalties in front of certain group shouldn’t have an effect on the taker or the goalkeeper.

redrobed

It depends on the club. If it’s for example a City or a Liverpool and you’re taking them in front of a combination of glory hunters and plastic seats then it’s not really going to make a difference. Ask anyone who’s taken them in front of a full Stratford end though and I wouldn’t mind betting the pressure would get to a lot of opponents.