Poll: Does it make sense to tie Pogba down to a new long term contract?

Should we give Pogba a new contract?

• Yes

Votes: 107 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 640 85.7%

• Total voters

jem

He’s a very good player but I think it’s a mistake given outrageous wages to a player who we struggle to get the best out of.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
W
Pretty sure that's on Ole. In fact, it's textbook Solskjaer.

- Pogba has a worldie against spurs on the left - barely featured centrally since.
- We get hammered at home by Spurs 6-1 - the previously hugely successful combo of Pogba, Matic, Bruno is dead.
- Following the same game McFred is born and reigns supreme forevermore.

Kind of ironic that Mourinho finished the attacking football under Ole. Since then it's been a back 6 with 4 attackers and utterly dire football.
What shit are you absolutely dribbling?

Firstly, Pogba’s most consistent run of performances at United have come playing off the left wing.

Secondly, centrally he is a liability and it’s shown virtually every time he plays there. Matic cannot play every game and post covid was an Indian summer in terms of ability to play every week.

How about instead of making things up in your head, you actually watch the games we play.

thirdly, at no point has Ole’s football been dire. It is inconsistent, but perhaps again, you should go watch the tumescent shit after January 2018 that Mourinho played before criticising ole. We legitimately create 4-6 decent chances every game which is far better than mourinho’s drab rubbish.

jem

W

Firstly, Pogba’s most consistent run of performances at United have come playing off the left wing.

Secondly, centrally he is a liability and it’s shown virtually every time he plays there. Matic cannot play every game and post covid was an Indian summer in terms of ability to play every week.

How about instead of making things up in your head, you actually watch the games we play.

thirdly, at no point has Ole’s football been dire. It is inconsistent, but perhaps again, you should go watch the tumescent shit after January 2018 that Mourinho played before criticising ole. We legitimately create 4-6 decent chances every game which is far better than mourinho’s drab rubbish.
Seems like you’re the one with the selective memory. Just this season we’ve had our share of dire performances: Young Boys, Villareal, Everton, to name but 3. As well, Pogba’s best run of form was when Ole first joined.

This is an astonishingly inaccurate post for someone with such a condescending tone :lol:

Pogba's best seasons for us (including the one that got him into the Team of the Season, and the one before that which remains our best league campaign since he's been at the club) have come in a central role, chap. He only started playing on the left last season, and even then his most consistent run of the season (from the Wolves game to when he got injured against Everton) came when he was playing in the center.

We legitimately create 4-6 decent chances every game
No, we absolutely do not. We create marginally more chances than we did under the previous manager. We scored 5 more goals last season than we did in 2017/18, and our XG was exactly 5 higher too (and the actual number was underwhelming as hell in both cases - not nearly good enough for a title challenge)

Amazing how you can charge in accusing the other guy of dribbling shit and making things up in his head, then follow it up with this.

thirdly, at no point has Ole’s football been dire. It is inconsistent, but perhaps again, you should go watch the tumescent shit after January 2018 that Mourinho played before criticising ole.
Yet more of this utterly tedious fallacious logic that Ole's football cannot be criticised because Mourinho's was worse and only one of them can be bad.

Last edited:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
This is an astonishingly inaccurate post for someone with such a condescending tone :lol:

Pogba's best seasons for us (including the one that got him into the Team of the Season, and the one before that which remains our best league campaign since he's been at the club) have come in a central role, chap. He only started playing on the left last season, and even then his most consistent run of the season (from the Wolves game to when he got injured against Everton) came when he was playing in the center.

No, we absolutely do not. We create marginally more chances than we did under the previous manager. We scored 5 more goals last season than we did in 2017/18, and our XG was exactly 5 higher too (and the actual number was underwhelming as hell in both cases - not nearly good enough for a title challenge)

Amazing how you can charge in accusing the other guy of dribbling shit and making things up in his head, then follow it up with this.

Yet more of this utterly tedious fallacious logic that Ole's football cannot be criticised because Mourinho's was worse and only one of them can be bad.
I couldn’t be fecked with this shit.

He played “left wing” dropping centrally for most of last season where his form picked up.

Secondly, thanks for proving my point that we create more chances than mourinhos absolute best season at United, ignoring his horror show post January 2018 and the fact that our team pretty much checked out in April last year because we had qualified for Europe and weren’t catching city.

Good luck in the newbs, you won’t be getting out anytime soon.

Strelok

He was deployed as a free attacking player on the left, not central when Ole was caretaker. He was flying so were us. That got him into the PL Team of the Year.

He was deployed as a free attacking player on the left, not central when Ole was caretaker. He was flying so were us. That got him into the PL Team of the Year.
He was the left-sided midfielder in a three. That's a central position, the same one Silva played for City or Iniesta played for Barcelona. Martial was our left winger.

I've already posted our results from the season before that when he was playing the exact same position people now believe he's incapable of. We were flying until he got injured.

Strelok

He was the left-sided midfielder in a three. That's a central position, the same one Silva played for City or Iniesta played for Barcelona. Martial was our left winger.

I've already posted our results from the season before that when he was playing the exact same position people now believe he's incapable of. We were flying until he got injured.
In the starting line up yes. Not how he played. He was a free attacking player who roam across with Matic and Herrera who played central below. It's pretty much the same lately without the roaming part, because we have Bruno now.

And it was not because he was injured, it was because Matic legs were gone, Herrera was "injured" and teams found out how to played against him. Or him being inconsistent, maybe all of the above. His form dropped a cliff by the last 10 matches. Which resulted in the incident in the Cardiff match where fans throwing abuses at him when he went to the crowd to say hi.

It seems you don't have the best memory.

Strelok

Read my post again, tell me if you spot the bit where I say "the season before", then we can talk about my memory, eh?
What do you mean by "the season before"? You mean the 2017-2018? I think we're talking about the 2018-2019 season?

And in which post you posted the "results"? And what is the "exact same position" you're talking about?

432JuanMata

He was the last piece of the puzzle not the first. He would make a elite side better but doesn’t make a good side great.
Too be fair to him he’s in a midfield with Fred and Mctominay which doesn’t help. We really need 2 top CM’s

I think we're talking about the 2018-2019 season?
No. I was talking about both 2017/18 and 2018/19 in the first post you quoted, and I reiterated that in the second one that you then responded to with a sly dig that completely missed the mark because you didn't even read (or perhaps understand) my post.

Strelok

No. I was talking about both 2017/18 and 2018/19 in the first post you quoted, and I reiterated that in the second one that you then responded to with a sly dig that completely missed the mark because you didn't even read (or perhaps understand) my post.
No I understood it perfectly especially the part you said he only played central in that two seasons, and only started playing on the left last season. Which is completely not true because he started playing on the left when Ole was a caretaker, which is the season 2018/2019. And it was not because he was injured like you said that he stopped playing that role.

he started playing on the left when Ole was a caretaker, which is the season 2018/2019. And it was not because he was injured like you said that he stopped playing that role.
I'll give anyone in this thread a fiver if they can explain to me how this guy is repeatedly reading my post about Pogba getting injured in 2017/18 and coming out with this interpretation (maybe translation is the better word?)

And "playing on the left" means being the attacker or midfielder charged with staying the widest with or without the ball. Pogba playing in a free role in a 3 in 2018/19 does not mean he was playing on the left in that season - that was Martial, who was our left-sided forward when we played 4-3-3 and the striker on the left of the pair when we played the split striker formation.

Last season, Pogba was that player responsible for lining up on the left, as the left-sided attacker in our three behind the striker. That was the first time he played that position over a run of consistent games - I think Mourinho used him in a similar role in one-off games here and there, maybe the home win against Chelsea in 2017/18.

They're not the same positions at all, and you said as much yourself in your first post: " Free attacking player who roam across with Matic and Herrera [/ Fred and McTominay] who played central below " is Fernandes's position in our current team. He's our central playmaker, and so was Pogba in 18/19.

Last edited:

The_Midfielder

He was the last piece of the puzzle not the first. He would make a elite side better but doesn’t make a good side great.
Too be fair to him he’s in a midfield with Fred and Mctominay which doesn’t help. We really need 2 top CM’s
I keep thinking where would we play him ?? his best position is lw .. lm.. but once Rashford comes in , Rashford and him have to rotate .. He is not as good as Bruno on the 10..
The only option we have is get a DM like Kante and see if Pogba can play with them..
but do you want to pay 400k / week for that??

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
No, he is too expensive, too inconsistent, too poor in passing and defending for a well-rounded midfielder, and most importantly - I am sick and tired of his b..ch-ass agent's constant disrespect of our club!

That last part is a total deal-breaker. :D

Seriously, though, we already have one top attacking mid-fielder who is very bad at defense - Bruno, no team can afford two midfielders that have low passing accuracy and are bad at defense. This is why teams overrun us, it is not just Fred being very poor #6. And if we have to choose between tolerating Bruno or Pogba, clearly Bruno wins because he is more consistent, scores and assists more, has more thirst for winning and nobody even knows the name of Bruno's agent!

Last edited:

Strelok

I'll give anyone in this thread a fiver if they can explain to me how this guy is repeatedly reading my post about Pogba getting injured in 2017/18 and coming out with this interpretation (maybe translation is the better word?)

And "playing on the left" means being the attacker or midfielder charged with staying the widest with or without the ball. Pogba playing in a free role in a 3 in 2018/19 does not mean he was playing on the left in that season - that was Martial, who was our left-sided forward when we played 4-3-3 and the striker on the left of the pair when we played the split striker formation.

Last season, Pogba was that player responsible for lining up on the left, as the left-sided attacker in our three behind the striker. That was the first time he played that position over a run of consistent games - I think Mourinho used him in a similar role in one-off games here and there, maybe the home win against Chelsea in 2017/18.

They're not the same positions at all, and you said as much yourself in your first post: " Free attacking player who roam across with Matic and Herrera [/ Fred and McTominay] who played central below " is Fernandes's position in our current team. He's our central playmaker, and so was Pogba in 18/19.
Pogba even when deployed as a LW was never truly a winger. He operates like a left midfielder who often move inside, pretty similar to when he was deployed as a free attacking player who roaming across from his starting position in the left when Ole was a caretaker.

When he was deployed centrally he was often very bad, and that's also why he fell out with Jose in the first place. Same thing happen under Ole. So you saying his best seasons are from central positions is simply not true.

Ibi Dreams

If he signs a new contract I genuinely think we'll still be wondering what his best position is and how to fit him into the team in 2-3 years time.

Red_Aaron

I've no doubt the club would've sold him the past 2 summers if they could and I've no doubt he'd have happily accepted.

We'll offer him a contract but I can't see us paying him over our current top earner, he might get parity on account of the commercial aspect but he wouldn't deserve it imo

With rashford fit he doesn't get in the first 11 for me. No ill will towards the guy but I wouldn't be bothered if he left nor care where he went

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Top clubs don’t lose their best players for free so we absolutely should be renewing. Crazy to think otherwise. Although he splits opinion, he’s still one of the first names on the team sheet for me, and our most creative player.

Bondi77

When the whole squad is fit Pogba is a squad player and we will see that when Rashford is fit again and more so if Sancho starts to come good.
It will come down to if we want to offer him a squad player money contract or offer him a lot more based on his social media profile.
I cannot be bothered mentioning anything else as the same things go round and round and round.

Kostov

I posted this in the performance thread, but it's a worthy discussion in its own right.

Is it to the benefit of the team as a whole to extend his contract? He's a tactically demanding player and the wages he's on and his profile mean he's a pretty guaranteed starter. We've got a better and more natural alternative on the left in Rashford, if we're playing in a 4231 shape, and we've already seen that there is no silver bullet midfielder (at least not currently at the club) who can make up for what he lacks in a midfield 2. There was a rumour this summer that Ole would go to 433 which made people think Bruno and Pogba would both play as #8s, but again, we don't have that superhuman midfielder to hold that together and we've yet to see how that would affect Bruno's output.

Given this will be his last major contract, it's likely he'll push for at least 4 years. I can't help think that we are doing a similar mistake to the Rooney deal, for different reasons (Rooney was declining fast), with limiting our tactical options and how we can develop this team.

Caveat: He's a class player. Just a difficult fit.
Why is this “superhuman” bullshit thrown around so often can someone please explain? Just because our two average to shit B2B midfielders (McT and Fred) and way past his best Matic, can’t do it, automatically this CDM that we don’t have and never had him in his prime, must be superhuman?

How about we bring in a top class CDM first and try a different approach? Yes Pogba should be tied down to a reasonable contract extension because as it is, we are absolute shambles in centre midfield even with him as an option.

Kostov

Another thing also to keep in mind, we are absolute shambles in buying good CDM/CM in recent years. Schneiderlin, Fred, Bastian, DvB, Matic, so what is next? Buy Brozovic for 40m in January?

Bondi77

Another thing also to keep in mind, we are absolute shambles in buying good CDM/CM in recent years. Schneiderlin, Fred, Bastian, DvB, Matic, so what is next? Buy Brozovic for 40m in January?
That would be madness as he has one year left on his contact.
If Pogba leaves as a free agent at the end of his contract and we pick up Brozovic as a free agent it could be a better fit for us and it would probably work out cheaper as well.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why is this “superhuman” bullshit thrown around so often can someone please explain? Just because our two average to shit B2B midfielders (McT and Fred) and way past his best Matic, can’t do it, automatically this CDM that we don’t have and never had him in his prime, must be superhuman?

How about we bring in a top class CDM first and try a different approach? Yes Pogba should be tied down to a reasonable contract extension because as it is, we are absolute shambles in centre midfield even with him as an option.
Calm down mate. It's based on Pogba not sticking to the centre when he plays there and us not seeing Bruno playing for us as an #8 (apart from that first half he played as a United player).

Also, this is flawed logic "Yes Pogba should be tied down to a reasonable contract extension because as it is, we are absolute shambles in centre midfield even with him as an option."

Because we are a shambles, also with Pogba, we should tie him down to a new deal? Doesn't really make sense given the premise. Unless you are trying to say that Pogba does not contribute to us being a shambles. But then you also infer that Pogba does not make us not be a shambles.

MUFC OK

W

I disagree with everything you've said. It's a first.

Oranges038

I'd let him go.

Simple as that, then we can stop watching him strolling round doing fcuk all and watch his highlights from wherever he is on youtube, but never watch full games. Like when he was at Juve. Then have people forget how shite he was for the most part here and maintain he should have been kept along.

Pretty much the same way the whole Lukaku thing turned out.

NewGlory

When the whole squad is fit Pogba is a squad player and we will see that when Rashford is fit again and more so if Sancho starts to come good.
It will come down to if we want to offer him a squad player money contract or offer him a lot more based on his social media profile.
I cannot be bothered mentioning anything else as the same things go round and round and round.
Current offer, which he is not accepting, is already waaaay too high for a squad player. It's one of the highest (3rd?) of anybody on the team so anything he accepts could be even higher. Paying him squad player salary is not even remotely an option. He would also whine and cry and make his agent bark non-stop if he felt he wasn't a starter

Zoo

There's no substitute for quality. Pogba is quality. What we need is quality management.

Chairman Steve

Depends on who we’re after next in the transfer market.

Are we after a Kante/Makelele level defensive midfielder who reduces the need for Pogba to track back to minimal? Then we should keep him because he’d fit well in that system.

NewGlory

Top clubs don’t lose their best players for free so we absolutely should be renewing. Crazy to think otherwise. Although he splits opinion, he’s still one of the first names on the team sheet for me, and our most creative player.
Right, chest-thumping is how top clubs make critical decisions, sure.

Pogba is already unsellable, due to how much salary he is making compared to his output and the fee we want to charge for him - nobody wants to pay that much for him and to him. So, clearly the solution is to pay him even higher salary... NOT

Not to mention that there is no guarantee he will stay no matter how much we [realistically] pay him

Bestietom

I think we would be making a mistake paying him 400k a week.
I would rather we got Tchouameni and Kessie with both costing less in wages than him alone, and with a high workrate.
I also think Bruno and the forward line would benefit more with these 2 players in our midfield.

NewGlory

Depends on who we’re after next in the transfer market.

Are we after a Kante/Makelele level defensive midfielder who reduces the need for Pogba to track back to minimal? Then we should keep him because he’d fit well in that system.
Neither Kante nor Makelele or anybody in the world can make up for BOTH Pogba and Bruno having poor pass completion percentage and being bad in defense. Sure, we need better DMF than fecking Fred but DMF is not a magic wand, to fix everything. You can have only so many defensively poor players in midfield and the number is ONE. We have two now: Bruno and Pogba. Gotta let one of them go, or be benched, if you want your midfield to stop being overrun by any (even lower tier EPL) team that cares to press us. Neither Bruno nor Pogba will tolerate being backup player and not starting when fit. So one has to go

Bestietom

Neither Kante nor Makelele or anybody in the world can make up for BOTH Pogba and Bruno having poor pass completion percentage and being bad in defense. Sure, we need better DMF than fecking Fred but DMF is not a magic wand, to fix everything. You can have only so many defensively poor players in midfield and the number is ONE. We have two now: Bruno and Pogba. Gotta let one of them go, or be benched, if you want your midfield to stop being overrun by any (even lower tier EPL) team that cares to press us. Neither Bruno nor Pogba will tolerate being backup player and not starting when fit. So one has to go
I agree. We are losing out in midfield by playing both together. Ole needs to get this right with 1 of the 2 dropped to the bench.

YeahYeah

Like I said in another thread if we plan on getting Conte then gotta keep Pogba. They worked great together once, Conte clearly knows how to use him.

If not he is a bit of a liability and a detriment here. Ole doesnt want to use him in the midfield and he is not a left winger, plus Rashford will be back soon.