Poll: Does it make sense to tie Pogba down to a new long term contract?

Should we give Pogba a new contract?

• Yes

Votes: 107 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 640 85.7%

• Total voters

AneRu

He has been here for five and a half years but we are still shifting him around from position to position. I don't see how another five years in eye watering wages would change that and benefit us. Yes he is a brilliant player on his day but his days are few and far between.

I am of the opinion that the team will benefit more from a more natural CM, who is less flashier but does the midfield basics well on and off the ball and is more consistent.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He dictated play alone.
Alone, with Pogba, Vidal or Marchisio. It's silly to even try to question that. While I agree with the idea that Pogba doesn't have the ideal profile for our team, it's a bit ridiculous for anyone to not only criticize him for not being like Pirlo which is a rare profile of player but also act as if Pirlo wasn't someone that has been heavily supported his entire career whether we are talking about Milan or Juventus because he had quite obvious limitations.

SMNRe"d"volution

I like Pogba, he is an excellent player but I don't think it'll be a smart move to make him one of the highest-paid players and giving him a long-term contract. Especially with the agent he has and all the other frequent media interviews from himself, his brothers where the general tone is his uncertainty towards United. We can definitely use his wages in getting a good replacement who is metronomic in his performances.

telstar96

Pogba's a great player, but he's never going to fit in the current formation that Ole likes to deploy. I can't ever see United playing 3 in midfield while Bruno is at the club. Whichever formation Ole choses, Bruno is guaranteed to be playing at #10, leaving us with 2 holding mids.

In my opinion, I think we've seen on multiple occasions Pogba's talents are wasted in a 2 man midfield, especially when his attacking nature isn't compensated for. I know for France he played well there during their World Cup win, but having Kante and Matuidi in midfield to support you is very different to having Fred and McTominay.

I reckon both the both club and Pogba will be better off parting ways. He's never going to fit Ole's vision and we're only keeping him out of fear he'll tear it up in La Liga/Serie A (which he probably will do).

BuzzKillington

I think he’s a great player, but at the wrong club and with the wrong set up. He’ll be a great player for somebody, but not for us. We’ve been open to offers for him for some time and they haven’t really materialised, so the commercial reason doesn’t really stack up. That being the case, let his contract lapse, save the cash and put it into somebody who fits into whatever it is we’re trying to do.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think it's best for both parties he leaves and I rate him but we'll never use him to his full potential and just waste loads of money on him

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I am calm, sorry if it comes out as rude, just I think it's very cheap argument, "superhuman", some want to portray that out midfield/CDM woes are so horrific, when in reality we are a very badly run football club, which neglects team problems and expects some things to solve by themselves. And as soon as we solve one problem, there is another. By the time we find a partner for Pogba and Bruno, they will probably be past their best.

Pogba should be tied down to a new contract, because we lack the quality in the position he plays, among other things like, why lose a player worth 80m pounds for nothing? And yes if he does leave we automatically need 2 midfielders, while also functioning on a 150m yearly budget. So I think my point is clear. Even if he does leave, I hope we get some transfer fee to reinvest in a replacement.

I meant the quality even with him as an option is pretty disappointing,, we are left with very very average set of players who offer zero quality in most aspects of the game. He is the only player who CAN play that further behind and offer some footballing quality, even as inconsistent as he is.
I don't disagree with any points about how the club is run. On a capable CDM, I'm not sure that will do the trick if we're fielding both Pogba and Bruno, but that's also an issue with other parts of the team (full backs, a defense capable of playing a high line, a keeper who is comfortable sweeping up, wide players who stretch play, a striker who can hold up the ball, etc). And the biggest issue is what is the plan? It's quite convenient to know before tying down a very expensive player for the remainder of his career.

I have high expectations of Mejbri and hope to see him given a chance very soon. I also don't think it's outlandish to think we'd sign two midfielders if Pogba were to leave on a free. Matic is nearing the end of his career, might leave next summer. Fred and McTominay are squad players and would be quite decent if they were used as such (the latter still improving). And Donny might push to leave in January - which is probably the best thing he can do for his career.

Wilt

Change of plan …..he’ll leave on a free and sign for Newcastle.

Massive signing on fee and ridiculous wages.

You heard it here.

Bondi77

I would laugh my head off if he went to Newcastle!
I can see it now with him and pizza boy telling us about how excited they are with the new project and how they match his ambition :lol:

Pronewbie

Peep
There should be a poll on this. I'd vote no if it's on ridiculous sums (350K+/w) He has glaring holes in his game for the position he plays. I hope we aren't that daft.

Kostov

I don't disagree with any points about how the club is run. On a capable CDM, I'm not sure that will do the trick if we're fielding both Pogba and Bruno, but that's also an issue with other parts of the team (full backs, a defense capable of playing a high line, a keeper who is comfortable sweeping up, wide players who stretch play, a striker who can hold up the ball, etc). And the biggest issue is what is the plan? It's quite convenient to know before tying down a very expensive player for the remainder of his career.
Yes there are many question marks over different aspects of the team, but surely the plan can not involve loosing your third best player for nothing? And yes imo we can exten on reasonable terms if we are smart, which is doubtfull to be fair but not impossible.

I have high expectations of Mejbri and hope to see him given a chance very soon. I also don't think it's outlandish to think we'd sign two midfielders if Pogba were to leave on a free. Matic is nearing the end of his career, might leave next summer. Fred and McTominay are squad players and would be quite decent if they were used as such (the latter still improving). And Donny might push to leave in January - which is probably the best thing he can do for his career.
I hope Mejbri makes it, but I am doubtful with Ole around to be fair, he's rather stick Fred there then play the kid.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I've thought about it. Not a good idea tbh. It's a tough decision to make mind you. Our midfield is not exactly the best but we've persisted with Pogba for close to 5 years now and he's been nowhere near as consistent as he should be for a player of his reputation and talent.

I'd say rip the bandage off and start over. Free up a starting position in midfield. The club should be doing all it can to properly identify a new signing in that position. Someone who has the potential to take us up a level.

Pogba will give you YouTube moments every other game but he just isn't a good centre midfielder for us.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yes there are many question marks over different aspects of the team, but surely the plan can not involve loosing your third best player for nothing? And yes imo we can exten on reasonable terms if we are smart, which is doubtfull to be fair but not impossible.

I hope Mejbri makes it, but I am doubtful with Ole around to be fair, he's rather stick Fred there then play the kid.
I cannot imagine that.

There should be a poll on this. I'd vote no if it's on ridiculous sums (350K+/w) He has glaring holes in his game for the position he plays. I hope we aren't that daft.
He's an incredibly talented player, but yes, it's a consideration.

@jojojo is this poll worthy? A) Lose him the 2nd time for nothing B) Tie him down with a 400K deal for 4-5 years ?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If we ever want to win the title we will need to properly high press. So no Ole, no DDG, no Ronaldo and no Pogba.

But in our finish top four through individual skill and a basic bitch system, he's pretty handy. If we have a DM to free him up

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Paul is best suited as an advanced playmaker in a 4-3-3 midfield. He;s magnificent in that role however he lacks the eye for goal to play as a no 10 and his defensive ability aren't good enough to play in a deeper role. Sure he did the latter with France. However France have Kante whose a beast. Not to forget that they only play together for few games every year. Would Kante be able to sustain Pogba 2 games, week in week out? I doubt it.

Once we signed Bruno, Pogba's role was under threat. We might have tried playing Fernandez as a false 9 in a 4-3-3 system but that went out of the window the moment we signed Cristiano.

In my opinion its time we bid Pogba's goodbye. He doesn't fit in our system and quite frankly I doubt he wants to stay at OT any longer. If he does stay it would be down to us drowning him in money. That would be stupid as we would soon face a queue of players who will be knocking at our door asking for a pay rise.

Joseunited

If we ever want to win the title we will need to properly high press. So no Ole, no DDG, no Ronaldo and no Pogba.

But in our finish top four through individual skill and a basic bitch system, he's pretty handy. If we have a DM to free him up
Is that a new system?

wolvored

Paul is best suited as an advanced playmaker in a 4-3-3 midfield. He;s magnificent in that role however he lacks the eye for goal to play as a no 10 and his defensive ability aren't good enough to play in a deeper role. Sure he did the latter with France. However France have Kante whose a beast. Not to forget that they only play together for few games every year. Would Kante be able to sustain Pogba 2 games, week in week out? I doubt it.

Once we signed Bruno, Pogba's role was under threat. We might have tried playing Fernandez as a false 9 in a 4-3-3 system but that went out of the window the moment we signed Cristiano.

In my opinion its time we bid Pogba's goodbye. He doesn't fit in our system and quite frankly I doubt he wants to stay at OT any longer. If he does stay it would be down to us drowning him in money. That would be stupid as we would soon face a queue of players who will be knocking at our door asking for a pay rise.
Saw Maguire who has 4 years left on his contract been offered double now. 300k a week. This club really haven't a clue and if Pogba asked for 500k I think they would pay it

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Saw Maguire who has 4 years left on his contract been offered double now. 300k a week. This club really haven't a clue and if Pogba asked for 500k I think they would pay it
If Maguire's story is true then we are really led by morons

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If Maguire's story is true then we are really led by morons
I get the strong sense that salary is much less of an issue that asset value to the owners. I suspect it has something to do with capital assets versus running costs and what each allows them to pay themselves in dividends. But that would be pure guesswork. Clearly huge salaries are much more acceptable to them than huge transfer fees - especially when it comes to players whose asset value is declining. Perhaps there is an accountant out there who can explain this?

wolvored

I get the strong sense that salary is much less of an issue that asset value to the owners. I suspect it has something to do with capital assets versus running costs and what each allows them to pay themselves in dividends. But that would be pure guesswork. Clearly huge salaries are much more acceptable to them than huge transfer fees - especially when it comes to players whose asset value is declining. Perhaps there is an accountant out there who can explain this?
In Maguires case though its not as if hes got a year left and other clubs are sniffing round. It simply doesnt make sense, unless there are issues we don't know about.

Dante

Average bang
After 5 years of underwhelming performances and excuses, I'm not too fussed about Pogba leaving. So the priority for the club re:contracts should only be about getting Bruno to sign his own extension.

But since Bruno is reportedly keen to keep Pogba in the team, I don't think United will want to do anything to upset the negotiations with Bruno. So the most likely outcome is that Pogba will be allowed to run down his contract up to the summer. That way the club can keep a bit of plausible deniability that Pogba leaving was the player's choice not the club's.

I reckon he'll leave on a free for the second time. And that his departure won't hurt us on the pitch even a teeny tiny bit.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What seems to be the consensus on what's happened thus far? He's been offered a 400K deal and still keeping his options open, or have we not offered him a deal yet?

Hammondo

What seems to be the consensus on what's happened thus far? He's been offered a 400K deal and still keeping his options open, or have we not offered him a deal yet?
Hes not worth anywhere near that, jesus christ.

Levi1

Unfortunately, we never make risky decisions, so we would never sell him. But we should. He is the kind of player that Sir Alex would never buy or play. If he cared more, he could be the best player in the world: I remember when he joined, he had some games where he was bossing midfield and also assisting, ala Yaya Toure, but we haven't seen anything like that in a long time. He might become that if he is motivated at his next club, which is why I say we would never sell him. But for us, he's a luxury player and can't be played in midfield. Winning teams never have players like that in the team.

Hammondo

Unfortunately, we never make risky decisions, so we would never sell him. But we should. He is the kind of player that Sir Alex would never buy or play. If he cared more, he could be the best player in the world: I remember when he joined, he had some games where he was bossing midfield and also assisting, ala Yaya Toure, but we haven't seen anything like that in a long time. He might become that if he is motivated at his next club, which is why I say we would never sell him. But for us, he's a luxury player and can't be played in midfield. Winning teams never have players like that in the team.
You need offers to sell a player, no one wants to buy.

RedDevil@84

If we had any sense, we would withdraw any negotiations and wish him luck. But we are run like a circus. So I fully expect both Pogba and Lingard be paid silly money and be talking about what is his best position for years and years to come.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Sadly he has become a bit 'Gareth Bale' - is only really interested when playing for his country. I don't know what he does in his spare time (don't think it's golf) ballroom dancing perhaps? Whatever, he is done as a club player - very much a talent wasted which is sad really.

eire-red

It's a hard pass on Pogba for me. You don't know where to put him, you don't know what you'll get from him. In a squad with the amount of attacking talent we have, we don't need him anymore, and aren't we all sick of the saga with him? If someone can give me a reason why we're a better team with him, without pointing to some random run of 4 games where he looked good, then I'm all ears.

I'm certain Ole will try to hold onto him, and he'll eventually sign on some bumper package that he doesn't deserve, because Ole knows in some random game he might just deliver the goods and save Ole his job.

We're going nowhere with Pogba, he's never been the main man, never will be and the sooner we move on from him, the sooner we'll actually be forced to fix our midfield and not play him there in the hope of some world class performances around the corner, which he never looks like producing when it actually matters.

Dante

Average bang
Sadly he has become a bit 'Gareth Bale' - is only really interested when playing for his country. I don't know what he does in his spare time (don't think it's golf) ballroom dancing perhaps? Whatever, he is done as a club player - very much a talent wasted which is sad really.
Basketball, judging by his social media.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I really wanted him to sign until I realised I wanted that just so we could get a good fee for him.

He can go for free now he hurts us as much as he creates for us.

Write it off as a bad signing - wish him well and get some replacements.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He left us free once.

Why do people think he would be willing to stay here and sign a contract long term?

He is very clearly going.

Waste of money but hopefully him leaving makes our scouts go and find that player that can play as a modern deep lying playmaker as a replacement to Pogba.

He's a good player but there's just weird feeling with Pogba for me that when he goes that things line up better for us as a team.

Our weaknesses get shown more obviously as a gap that needs replacing rather than trying to get the best out of Pogba.