Does Jesse deserve to start?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Lingard is better than VDB.
I didn't argue that, but have notice all the complaints that he isn't getting play time.
Would be fun to see their reaction when someone sneaks in before him ;)

Glorio

I don't expect Jesse to start most games, but if Bruno is having a mare or needs a rest, I'd expect him to be the next logical option, much as I'm a big fan of Hannibal

UpWithRivers

I don't expect Jesse to start most games, but if Bruno is having a mare or needs a rest, I'd expect him to be the next logical option, much as I'm a big fan of Hannibal
CAme here to say exactly this. Jesse is our best back up to Bruno. Ole needs to be brave enough to drop him when he's not playing well or to rest him now and again. Jesse is a class player but we never use him properly. No good on the LW or RW and no good against low block. He's a number 10 against sides that press us.

Swiss_Red89

I really don't get why Southgate still selects Lingard over Greenwood. Surely it would make more sense to let Mason bag his first England Goals vs the likes of Andorra and build his England career as he is the future. Jesse will never win him anything countable, Mason on the other side is capable of.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I expect him to start against Newcastle if Sancho isn't deemed fit enough.

Pogba will drop back in to midfield with McTominay still injured.

Fred Pogba
Greenwood Bruno Lingard
Ronaldo

No chance I'd play Martial off the left so the only other option is CR7 as the LW and Cavani up top, but with Pogba in a midfield 2 that seems way too attacking and lacking in work rate

francobaresi

Before I get laughed out of my own Thread - Here are my reasons for Jessie to get a start
His form for West Ham was great, his England form although against weak opposition has also been good. Rashford and Sancho are injured. That leaves Greenwood and Martial has his competition for a starting spot surely he has done more than Tony to get a start especially against a team like Newcastle.
The answer is 'no'

Bobski

Lingard is better than VDB.
Nothing in the last year to suggest that VDB should start over Lingard, far more proven player in the PL.

If that Ajax CL run was the only truth of a players level then Dusan Tadic would be replacing Messi at Barca.

redshaw

Depends who is fit. If there's a space I guess he should be considered. For the majority of the season I'd expect him to be behind most of our attacking options that have proved themselves in a United shirt or cost a bomb.

Really he should've gone, he deserves a start somewhere for sure, been playing well for a while.

Problem for Jesse is if he doesn't do much in 3-4 games we can't afford to play him again and again like before That's what the pressure should be at United, sadly when Ole came in he spent 12 months trying to play Jesse into form with zero in return. Ole can't go down that road and have United finishing out the top 4 plus we have more options. Jesse has to contribute any time he comes on or starts.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Despite his West Ham and England performances I just can't help but feel like he'll get too inside his own head and fall off a cliff if played regularly for United.

CloneMC16

Absolutely not. We have Ronaldo, Pogba, and Greenwood that should be in the front 3. Bruno behind them. If he plays instead of any of those, it would be a joke. The reports are that Sancho should be fit for Newcastle as well.

If Sancho and McTominay are injured, there is a chance he gets a start on the left. It's either him or Martial. Pogba will get picked to play in the pivot. I think Ole would pick Martial in that scenario. Based on current form, I don't think you can say Martial deserves to play over Lingard. If he started and Martial doesn't, I would fully understand that.

Redlyn

Yeah he does deserve to start. For another team. We don't have the space for him.

Martialfc

Absolutely not he’s had his chance sell the stupid immature idiot.

I do find it very funny that this forum will have multiple people saying things like "Ronaldo will find it much harder now that he's playing against PL defences in a much faster league", or "Sancho is completely unproven outside of the Bundesliga, we don't know if he's good enough for the PL".

And then it'll also have people saying things like "Lingard scored twice for England against Andorra, probably done enough to earn a start in the next PL game!"

Strats

I do find it very funny that this forum will have multiple people saying things like "Ronaldo will find it much harder now that he's playing against PL defences in a much faster league", or "Sancho is completely unproven outside of the Bundesliga, we don't know if he's good enough for the PL".

And then it'll also have people saying things like "Lingard scored twice for England against Andorra, probably done enough to earn a start in the next PL game!"
Astonishing, isn’t it?

wolvored

Didnt he play for about 14 months in his preferred position and never scored or assisted in this time? We should have sold him while his stock was high. He will be loaned out in Jan you watch!

mu4c_20le

I think he's earned a chance over Sancho, I mean he scored two goals for his country over the weekend, what did Jadon do?

Eddy_JukeZ

No he doesn't.

He should never start a league game unless we're in an injury crisis.

Bertie Wooster

If we've opted to keep Lingard - a current England International - in the first team squad rather than sell him or loan him out, then I can't see why he won't be in most matchday squads as a sub or starter.

I'd be surprised to see him start many PL games - even with Rashford and Sancho out, he'll still be behind the likes of Greenwood, Pogba, probably Martial. But he should be next in line, and so I can see him getting game time from the bench and starting some of the cup matches.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Starting? No. Coming in with 30 mins (not 3 mins!) to go? Yes.

He needs to earn his starting place as a United player.

Bondi77

Before I get laughed out of my own Thread - Here are my reasons for Jessie to get a start
His form for West Ham was great, his England form although against weak opposition has also been good. Rashford and Sancho are injured. That leaves Greenwood and Martial has his competition for a starting spot surely he has done more than Tony to get a start especially against a team like Newcastle.
What is going to be covered here that has not been discussed in the Performances thread????
Seriously :houllier: :houllier:

stevoc

Yeah Lingard could and should be starting for United regularly. West Ham United that is.

------------------------------Bruno/Pogba/VDB/Lingard/Mata

Sancho/Greenwood/Diallo-----------------Rashford/Pogba/Martial/Lingard/Elanga

-----------------------------Ronaldo/Cavani/Greenwood/Martial

How does he get into this United team?

He's within his rights to stay but he should have left and went somewhere where he'll play more than 4-5 cup games.

stevoc

So is it only Jesse's international form against a pub team that is being taken into account?

Or has Martial starting and scoring for France at the weekend also been factored into your thinking?

Also do you think Pogba or Ronaldo could play on the left maybe?

hobbers

Power of sentimentalism and the fact that people just never seem to learn. Lingard has proven over many years with us that he cant score or assist in a United shirt unless it's in a cup final or we happen to be up against Watford.