Does Jesse deserve to start?

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
Before I get laughed out of my own Thread - Here are my reasons for Jessie to get a start
His form for West Ham was great, his England form although against weak opposition has also been good. Rashford and Sancho are injured. That leaves Greenwood and Martial has his competition for a starting spot surely he has done more than Tony to get a start especially against a team like Newcastle.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Before I get laughed out of my own Thread - Here are my reasons for Jessie to get a start
His form for West Ham was great, his England form although against weak opposition has also been good. Rashford and Sancho are injured. That leaves Greenwood and Martial has his competition for a starting spot surely he has done more than Tony to get a start especially against a team like Newcastle.
Greenwood-Ronaldo-Pogba should be our front three until Rashford is back.

SuperiorXI

For West Ham he had the space to turn and run and also for England it was against shite.

See how he does against teams that restrict the space and sit back, he won't be as effective.

red4ever 79

Andorra - feck me. Jessie should be nowhere near the first team. In the wide positions Greenwood and Pogba will surely start with Sancho and Rashford to come back. Martial is also hovering around.

Idxomer

His competition is Bruno, not Martial or Greenwood.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Greenwood-Ronaldo-Pogba should be our front three until Rashford is back.
This. And after Rashford is back too.
With Sancho and Rashford coming off the bench.

Whilst Rashford is out, I’m not against Jesse getting minutes off the bench, especially if we are winning, as he works his socks off and is a cracking player on the counter attack.

Skeezix

He has a chance if the FA allows us to start 16 outfield players

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Start vs Newcastle?

He deserves to start few cup games but don't think he should start regularly in PL. Also he played his best football as AM, that's Bruno's position.

dal

Ronaldo, Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani, Bruno, Sancho, Lingard.

Lingard just replaces James in the squad and to be honest he’s better than James.

I can’t see Ole selling him if I’m honest this year.

Next summer maybe.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's well within his right to sit out his contract. He deserves a fair chance. If he does well in whatever cups/sub apps he gets, why not? We shouldn't freeze him out if he's performing.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Start this weekend? No chance as we have so many attacking options ahead of him: Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, Sancho (might be fit)

But he should be high up the pecking order on the subs bench based on current form and if he delivers then we can start talking about PL starts

And he'll obviously start in some cup matches

He obviously should never play insead of:

Ronaldo
Rashford
Sancho
Greenwood
Bruno
Pogba

Lingard should just get a bit of league cup football, if he's lucky. Since he'll be leaving in a free at the end of the season there is no need to give him minutes to protect his transfer value.

Lingard should have gone in summer, he dug his heals in to stay and should have no complaints. A player with any ambition would have left, particularly in a world cup season.

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins

Ronaldo
Rashford
Sancho
Greenwood
Bruno
Pogba

Lingard should just get a bit of league cup football, if he's lucky. Since he'll be leaving in a free at the end of the season there is no need to give him minutes to protect his transfer value.

Lingard should have gone in summer, he dug his heals in to stay and should have no complaints. A player with any ambition would have left, particularly in a world cup season.
Two of those are injured, Ronaldo plays up top and if Scott is injured then Pogba moves further back that leaves Tony has Jessie's direct competition for United's next game.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We can finally see Ronaldo playing with Messi, I mean Jessie.

Lyng

It was against Andorra. That game tells you nothing at all.

I think there are many options preferable to Lingard, even with Sancho and Rashford injured, in my opinion.

Options beneath are all in case Sancho and Rashford are not available.

1)

Greenwood – Bruno – Pogba

Ronaldo / Cavani

This is without any doubt our strongest attack, and thus should be our starting line up in the league and CHL whenever possible.

2)

Amad – Hannibal – Elanga

Greenwood

This one is for cup games. We should aim to get Amad, Elanga and Hannibal as much time as possible, now that we have not sent them on loan. They are the future. Lingard is not.

The cup games are perfect for that.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He'll probably start in the Champions League next week against Young Boys.

CL group stage, domestic cups and coming off the bench will rack him up a fair amount of minutes this season, but I don't see him starting too often in the league.

Does he deserve to start? He deserves to be playing for a good PL team as he is a very capable player, but when his competition here is Bruno, it's hard to make a case for him to deserve a start ahead of Bruno.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Current Lingard is a very good player. The issue is he’s a number 10 and Bruno is better. I say issue - it’s only an issue on this forum because many wanted yet another new toy - in reality for the club it’s brilliant to have the depth we currently have - especially when COVID is likely to play havoc in the coming months.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He'll probably start in the Champions League next week against Young Boys.

CL group stage, domestic cups and coming off the bench will rack him up a fair amount of minutes this season, but I don't see him starting too often in the league.

Does he deserve to start? He deserves to be playing for a good PL team as he is a very capable player, but when his competition here is Bruno, it's hard to make a case for him to deserve a start ahead of Bruno.
Perfect teams for him. Destroying Andorra and Young Boys

JL Siuuuuuu

Jericho

Ronaldo
Rashford
Sancho
Greenwood
Bruno
Pogba

Knowing this club you think we won't offer him a new contract?

BlackBen

Yes he deserves to start in place of Pogba who will soon be forced to play for the u23s for not signing a new contract like some posters on here said.

lex talionis

Jesse performed well against Andorra, but such a side does not the inference that he “deserves” to start ahead of Ronaldo, Bruno or Pogba. Or even Sancho or Greenwood.

RUCK4444

No! My worst fear for the weekend is I buy a ticket, Bruno is dropped for Jesse just for him to do his anonymous act that invariably happens for us and totally starves Ronaldo of service on his 2nd Debut for us!

That cannot be allowed to happen! :nono::nono:

Nickelodeon

My priority list for our starting front 4:

Bruno
Greenwood
Ronaldo
Pogba
Cavani
Rashford
Sancho
Martial
Elanga
Amad
Lingard

MrEleson

No! My worst fear for the weekend is I buy a ticket, Bruno is dropped for Jesse just for him to do his anonymous act that invariably happens for us and totally starves Ronaldo of service on his 2nd Debut for us!

That cannot be allowed to happen! :nono::nono:
Where can you still get tickets?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I like the lad but the idea he fits into our squad this year in any sort of meaningful role is a bit far fetched. Tbh in the League cup I want the likes of Hannibal and Shoretire to get plenty of game time so even there where does he fit? Right wing maybe?

mav_9me

Much rather give the game time to Elanga or Amad. That's who Lingard is blocking now.