Does Jesse deserve to start?

432JuanMata

His form for West Ham was great and good to see him back in the England set up. I’m all good with him being a squad player but it seems that fans are really in the moment or just forget very quick. This guy went a whole year with a goal or assist for us he is obviously better than that but his level is below top 6 and good form for 6 months doesn’t erase 5 years.
Yes he’s good player but never good enough for us when we were top 4 nevermind trying to win the league.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hes a #10 not a winger. Bruno is our 10. If not Bruno then Pogba.

For the front 3 positions, we have Cavani, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Martial and Pogba on the left sometimes too.

To be honest it doesn't make sense why he stayed. Obviously he isn't going to get much get time.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Clearly, Jesse knew even before the return of Ronaldo that he wouldn't get much playing time. The only hope he has is to be Ronaldo's wingman and do all the running for him in some matches, creating spaces by dragging defenders out of position for Ronnie to shoot. We will need runners to accommodate Ronnie... regardless if Jesse stays on or not.

EtH

In any position we could think about running him out in there is Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno, Greenwood, Sancho, Cavani (who can play as a second striker) and Rashford. Whether he is or should be ahead of DvB or Mata is up for debate. Does he deserve a start. Does he feck.

Nikelesh Reddy

Before I get laughed out of my own Thread - Here are my reasons for Jessie to get a start
His form for West Ham was great, his England form although against weak opposition has also been good. Rashford and Sancho are injured. That leaves Greenwood and Martial has his competition for a starting spot surely he has done more than Tony to get a start especially against a team like Newcastle.
No he doesn’t.He is/was never good enough to play for a club like United.We need some functional/squad players to play in midfield and defence,but in the attacking positions we need 5/6 top class options.Lingard is good enough to play for a club in the Premierleague,but he’s nowhere near good enough to play for United.

jeepers

If he’s leaving on a free at the end of the season then feck him and play a kid instead.

Marcus

With Ronaldo and Sancho coming in, it is going to be tough. He should have left United for fee. Since he is waiting out his contract, I would not play him unless we have an injury crisis.

tbee

For the front 3 positions, we have Cavani, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Martial and Pogba on the left sometimes too.

To be honest it doesn't make sense why he stayed. Obviously he isn't going to get much get time.
my feeling on lingard is he is not willing to leave utd. utd willing to accept a gd/reasonable offer. ogs will of course say what needs to b said in public to protect lingard. utd will offer an extension but i believe the contract offer will not b up to what lingard expects. most likely he will leave on a free transfer. so a lose lose for everyone. utd lose a fee and lingard lose a year of playing regularly.

Tony247

Only place I could think of is false 9 or striker. He is not good enough to play in the middle for sure.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Only place I could think of is false 9 or striker. He is not good enough to play in the middle for sure.
But even up top... Cavani, Ronaldo, Martial, Greenwood. If all 4 are out then we can still have a front 3 of Rashford, Sancho and Pogba on the left. We need 4 attacking injuries for him to get actual gametime on the wings or up top, or Bruno being injured with some midfield issues so that he's used as a 10. I feel bad for him, he's a very good player and severely underrated by United fans but I just don't see him getting many games unfortunately.

Tony247

But even up top... Cavani, Ronaldo, Martial, Greenwood. If all 4 are out then we can still have a front 3 of Rashford, Sancho and Pogba on the left. We need 4 attacking injuries for him to get actual gametime on the wings or up top, or Bruno being injured with some midfield issues so that he's used as a 10. I feel bad for him, he's a very good player and severely underrated by United fans but I just don't see him getting many games unfortunately.
Agree. He is our doomsday sub. If he starts in PL or CL match then we have to be already royally fecked...either by injuries or by players' form.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
His lengthy goal/assist drought was too much. He is not reliable enough to play for Utd.

DSG

No. He’s had His run here, scoring in a FA Cup final, etc. He’s fine for a mid table club, but his patterns of play, unimaginative passing and poor finishing means he’s not good enough for United. Great work rate though…

MinGin

If he is in form, why not.
More competitive spirit will make the team better and better.

keithsingleton

United well and truly fcuked up here. Should of sold him to West Ham and bagged 20 million which could of gone towards another signing even if it's for the January window. Almost cert to leave on a free now.

RooneyLegend

What does Jesse offer us based on his skill set? I’ve not watched him enough to know what his unique attributes are. Or maybe I just blocked him out. Does he have any? Daniel James had pace
Movement, speed, decision making and hes double footed.

wolvored

All those goals and assists for West Ham, all the goals and assists for England...yet never got on against Poland. Hes a 2nd 11 player and we have plenty of those. Remember he went 13-14 months without a goal or assist for Utd, played regular as well.

Martialfc

Absolutely no way does he deserve to start. He’s had his chance it’s time to sell the “young player” that is Jesse lingard.

van Persie

No point. He's leaving on a free next summer and we have zero need for him

Yakuza_devils

United well and truly fcuked up here. Should of sold him to West Ham and bagged 20 million which could of gone towards another signing even if it's for the January window. Almost cert to leave on a free now.
He refused to sign for West Ham. Also, refused to sign contract extension with us.

It's clear that he wants to run down his contract to be free agent with sign on bonus and higher salary elsewhere next year!

It's Raiola's core strategy for all his clients (See Pogba and Donnarumma). Lingard was under Raiola previously.

Varane around town

No he doesn't.

I like Lingard and I think we've got a perfectly good squad player with him. I'm sure that he'll be swapped in for Bruno for the cup games and he'll do the Dan James job in some of our league games but he certainly isn't a starter.

I imagine that his plan is to run his contract down, so he can have a pick of clubs and get a bonus for signing on and I don't blame him

Tiber

Nope. But he chose to sit on the bench when he decided to hang around

Gasmeter

I washed my hands of him a long time ago. The video he recorded whilst the bus was being attacked at West Ham will always make me cringe, and his end product on the pitch made me tap out a long while back. Will be glad to see the back of him.

Mike Smalling

We can't keep going back and forth on this project. He goes from being shite to ok, and then straight back to being shite. He really should have been sold this window with the forwards we have gotten in. We should prioritize given youngsters like Elanga playing time instead.

captaincantona

He appears to be choosing to play, at best, a limited role this season in order to receive a better financial package When he leaves for free next year. Good luck to him. It’s doesn’t get more complicated than that I reckon and while he will no doubt give his best for the next few months...Utd/Ole owe him nothing. He should be treated as a last resort option if we have anyone else on the bench that can step in who is actually part of the clubs plans long term (Amad, Elanga, Martial, Sancho, Rashford, Bruno, Mata, Greenwood...I’d say we are covered).

And just to try beat the JLingz fan club to the punch...even though Pogba is doing the exact same thing to the club...he is good enough and brings enough to the team to warrant being played regardless of his desire to leave. Lingard has done nothing to suggest he deserves to play full stop - never mind the fact that he is running down his contract.

Hughie77

Lingard was missed at the end of last season when Bruno was shot in the Europa league final, and last few league games, hes stayed, and should be on the bench and if Bruno is having a off day, then Jesse is the option off the bench. Can see him starting in cup games.

Crustanoid

How much are we paying for him to not play and turn down chances to leave the club and provide us with funds that we need?

edgecutter

Can we not remember the piss poor performances he put in time after time when he was starting for us? He offered feck all for years and he's lucky to see the bench never mind being in the main 23 man squad.

eire-red

Nowhere near the level required. Amad should be the one getting his minutes when he's fit. Jesse really should have left in the summer.

Would have been a excellent move for both himself and West Ham.