Does Jesse deserve to start?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He looked very lively, made lot of runs, worked hard and did very well to score.

AttackAttackAttack

When he came on today he played as the left sided attacker. From all our players i would prefer Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Pogba over Lingard to start a game from that position.

Ronaldo will start as the most forward attacker, Sancho can play on the right and Pogba can play as midfielder. Martial can play as the striker.

The attacking midfielder position is Bruno his position and i would also prefer van der Beek or Pogba there over Lingard.

On the right side Greenwood and Sancho are players that i prefer to start over Lingard. Rashford has also started games from there, he is a better player than Lingard too.

For me Lingard is the second or third option subsitution for almost all front position. Usually a position taken by a young talented player but Lingard wants to stay (im sure there was interest in him since he did great at West Ham) and take that squad role. It does take away minutes from Diallo for example, i would still prefer to see him sold for a good amount of money to a club where he could start every week. That money will help getting an midfielder to replace Matic.

So no, he does not deserve to start. Maybe some smaller games or to rest other players but at all the position he can play at there are multiple better options to start.
I think when we want to shut up shop lingard is a good option to have. He works hard tracking back which is ideal when we are defending a lead and he isn’t bad on the counter. I would not be surprised if he got a new contract and we tried to sell martial.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I know. I was hoping someone would not make this obvious comment. I'm saying who is better and worth keeping.
I think Lindelof is worth keeping too.

The entire point of your post was name-calling people. That's all you were saying really.

USREDEVIL

I think Lindelof is worth keeping too.

The entire point of your post was name-calling people. That's all you were saying really.
I think Lindelof is too. Name calling was not the point of my post. The point was that despite current trends to call Lingard crap or whatever, he's actually a pretty effective squad player. Just my opinion anyways.

Mylock

Lingard loan move to West Ham helped to restore his confidence. For the previous 12 months before he went on loan, his game deteriorated so much so that you would have thought he was on the way out, but in his current form, he could be a good squad option.
Gone are the days when he'd come on and only play it safe; he has the talent to replace mata in the squad, but you can't see him been a starter when everyone is fit.
If Ollie manages his squad better than he has over the last few years and if we get a run in the cups, they'll be plenty of games for the like of Lingard.

shahzy

If he plays at the level he showed at west ham, he's definitely good enough as a bench option or a squad option. Especially when we need to rest players.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I think Lindelof is too. Name calling was not the point of my post. The point was that despite current trends to call Lingard crap or whatever, he's actually a pretty effective squad player. Just my opinion anyways.
I agree on that. Have said it for years now: an attacking JOS that provides good cover, has a decent understanding with other key fellow players, loves the club and won't kick up a fuss being a squaddie.

You could sign ten 40M players and not one of them turn out as useful. You wouldn't of course, but selling for 20M is destroying value. And no, he doesn't get in anyone's way, that's nonsense.

There was just no need for the dissing remarks compounded by turning it into an X vs Y. I'm pretty fed up with all that to be honest, seems like half the time people are just running down one player to prop up another and invariably end up "hating" some of our own fecking players. It's bonkers.

Chief123

Even though I’ve always felt he’s not good enough for Utd level (first XI in particular), I have to say he feels a better option than Martial at the moment. If anything I think he deserves to be higher up than Martial in the pecking order.

Chief123

Ronaldo Cavani Jesse would be my front three in Champions league and EPL games vs top 6.
You will rarely see Ronaldo and Cavani in the same team this season. Maybe for small periods at the end of the game where we need a goal. Ole is always talking about balance of the team. Cavani and Ronaldo together would leave a big imbalance.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agree with you. The top 6 are scared of our pace and neither Lingard nor Cavani has it.
I mean moreso form needs to be considered and depending on Sancho's he could be ahead. But now? I'm not adverse to either Lingod or Cavani starting.

davidmichael

Sancho and Greenwood are definitely ahead of Lingard on the right as may Rashford also be then Rashford, Sancho and Pogba are ahead of Lingard on the left so there’s next to zero chance he starts in a wide position.

It’s highly likely that Pogba would be used as a 10 ahead of Lingard if Fernandes was injured or rested but for me that’s the place to play Lingard when he plays as he’s a better shadow striker/10 than VDB, I don’t mind Lingard being back up to Fernandes for the season but no he shouldn’t start unless Fernandes or Pogba are injured or rested.

DoomSlayer

If Lingard can be an impact sub like this, it would be amazing for our season. Him staying probably means DVB won't play at all though, unless he gets trusted to play as a CM from now on.

SirAnderson

Sancho needs to play to get in form. He started slow at Dortmund last season. So for the majority of the games, Sancho should still start. Give Jesse the cup games. Shouldn't start on Tuesday, come on 70th min for Sancho, and then again against West Ham, then start in the cup after that.

Jibbs

You will rarely see Ronaldo and Cavani in the same team this season. Maybe for small periods at the end of the game where we need a goal. Ole is always talking about balance of the team. Cavani and Ronaldo together would leave a big imbalance.
I think Ronaldo will thrive with Cavani. He needs an experienced partner like Benzema and he will get that in Cavani.

JuriM

Lingard and Martial both are in rotation atm. They'll get plenty of game time.

Chief123

I think Ronaldo will thrive with Cavani. He needs an experienced partner like Benzema and he will get that in Cavani.
Honestly, you are rarely going to see them play together. Ronaldo and Cavani play the exact same position. Both used to play on the wings but rarely do now.

tomaldinho1

Actually feel sorry for him - came on apparently as a striker and then ended up in CM? Terrible back pass but lose lose for him.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I think when we want to shut up shop lingard is a good option to have. He works hard tracking back which is ideal when we are defending a lead and he isn’t bad on the counter. I would not be surprised if he got a new contract and we tried to sell martial.
That aged well.....

Robaldo

Actually feel sorry for him - came on apparently as a striker and then ended up in CM? Terrible back pass but lose lose for him.
It's not lose-lose; he just doesn't need to make an absolute spectacle out of himself and the club.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The only thing he should start is walking to fecking London and begging west ham to take him on.

Stadjer

That aged well.....
That was a reaction to my post but i didnt feel like coming back to this after that pass....

Atleast this hopefully stops the call for Jesse to start games. He should never start over much better and more talented players like Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Martial and maybe even van de Beek.

If he really wants to stay he should have the role of a young talented player. That means he will be taking easy cup game minutes or some minutes when a game is already won (like last saturday). That he takes away minutes of actual young talented players like Amad or Hannibal is a choice Ole makes.

tomaldinho1

It's not lose-lose; he just doesn't need to make an absolute spectacle out of himself and the club.
The way we were playing we could have brought on prime Zidane and it would've made no difference, the ball was just coming back time and again because this team refuses to be interested in positional possession. It was a bad error, there's no excusing it, but he should never have come on in the first place.

Red Stone

I'd say start him for the reserves, but then he'd be stealing a spot from some young, talented bloke that might actually do a job for our first team down the line.

Someone

Something
Awful mistake that'll crush his confidence. Always feel bad for the players when they do something like this, specially when they play for a club like United where the abuse will be relentless online.

rpg

what a twat. came on in 70th min and looked as if he is tired only jogged around. wishes he never played for the team again. he can take back that goal at Newcastle and shoved up his arse.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
what a twat. came on in 70th min and looked as if he is tired only jogged around. wishes he never played for the team again. he can take back that goal at Newcastle and shoved up his arse.
Posts like these should be merit for demotion.

Pronewbie

Peep
I hope he picks himself up for the League Cup game against West Ham. I'm sure it took a lot of effort mentally last season to play himself back into form. This is just a small blip to ground him for the rest of the season.