Does Ole have it in him to drop De Gea for the last 2 PL games?

MadMike

Play Grant. Hopefully CL is secured this week so EL will just be a bonus chance at a trophy.

DDG needs a proper wake up call. Sending him on holidays when the rest of the squad is fighting for a trophy will send a loud and clear message.
I also firmly believe that he does now. Protecting him and showing faith hasn't worked. I'm just not sure about sending him on hols while there are trophies on the line.

Making him sit and watch will likely be more infuriating to him than sitting on a beach sipping beers as well.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I was dead serious about us should drop DDG next match. Then suddenly I remember Romero's distribution and passing. It kinda sucks imo. We'll have the majority of possession for sure, and we probably would dominate the game as well. And we'll build from the back like the recent matches. So imo we should play DDG next match, just because he's better with the ball than Romero. Please don't bash me, just having a logical opinion.
DDG distribution is not great. If you want to play from the back you need players who can actually do that. Our CB's appear scared of the ball we do not get enough attacking from the fullbacks(but think that can improve). However most of all we have a goalkeeper who was fantastic but now drops clangers.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I don’t think he will drop him and I’m not sure if I would either, its a huge call. After last nights performance I want Henderson back to challenge him next season.

Keefy18

I've posted this elsewhere and I'll post it here as the opening 15 mins explains perfectly what he does with a player not performing.

He won't and likely shouldn't drop him for the last 2 games.

People need to consider man management here when handling this situation, there is a large Spanish / Latino contingent within the squad and dropping a player who was one of the worlds best suddenly will send on ripples of unhappiness quickly I reckon.

He'll get the final 2 games and then a word will be had that he isn't up to it and Ole can prove it with mistake after mistake and say that isn't good enough, you know it isn't yourself. So Henderson is #1 come game 1 next season and you'll be back up. I want you to fight for that jersey again, but I don't think he has it in him to retake it myself.

CG1010

I'm not saying we shouldn't consider our options. DDG is no longer a world-class goalkeeper and he doesn't earn his salary, we all know that. That doesn't mean he's crap, though, and with the contract he's on, realistically he's not gonna leave. At the moment I believe that, while a shadow of his former self and probably likely to decline further fast due to the reasons you're mentioning, he's still, as of now, the best goalkeeper in the squad. Whether that will still be the case when Henderson's back, time will tell. What we won't do is buy a new elite goalkeeper as long as DDG is here and have two goalies earning around 300,000 a week.
The key is we need to have a quality reliable goal keeper and if we don't then all our team building efforts will be ruined. Changing his status from automatic starter to having to prove himself will either lift him up again to the quality of performances we know he is capable of, or give opportunities to a new player who may or may not be good enough. The status quo isn't changing by itself, that's for sure.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Ole is extremely ruthless and decisive. He's proven that beyond doubt.

Think the thread title is kind of presenting itself as a weird dig.

PieCrust

No way he's dropped right now. Romero will start the Europa games.

Maybe he'll have to fight for his spot next season, but I doubt it. He'll either be first choice or be sold, but his wages will be a problem for any other club.

Davs

As I said a bunch of times already. I don't think.he knows there's more the 13 players in the squad. He doesn't rotate these days.
This is a thread about De Gea not our squad but hey ho.

Obviously Ole knows there's more than 13 in the squad. If you were in charge, would you trust any of our players outside of our starting 11 plus one or two more to keep up the levels of performances we have been getting? I wouldn't, that's why we need to strengthen.

MadMike

No way he's dropped right now. Romero will start the Europa games.

Maybe he'll have to fight for his spot next season, but I doubt it. He'll either be first choice or be sold, but his wages will be a problem for any other club.
Same as Sanchez in a way but we might find a taker that will pay a large portion.

People have failed to recognise/admit the progress he's made recently. There was a period when these kinds of mistakes were way too commonplace, but lately he hasn't made too many mistakes and has saved us on quite a few occasions. Been an overall good goalkeeper since the lockdown. Then he had a mare yesterday but let's just see whether that was a freak occurrence or a return to poor form.
Hang on... Last few games here:

Everton away - masssive mistake
City home - error free
Spurs away - poor on their goal
Sheff U home - error free
Brighton away - error free
Bournemouth home - very poor on their first, easily beaten at beaten at near post
Villa away - error free
Southampton - error free
Palace - error free
Chelsea - awful

If an error every few games is progress, we should be terrified.

Keefy18

As I said a bunch of times already. I don't think.he knows there's more the 13 players in the squad. He doesn't rotate these days.
I'll correct your statement for you brother...

"he knows there's not more than 13 players of genuine quality in the squad".

Who would you have Bruno replaced with currently? Lingard? Chong?

We don't have the depth in quality so the same players are being ran into the ground to see out the season.

MoskvaRed

I’d go with Romero for what are effectively two cup finals. He may not be a world beater but his confidence and concentration levels are not shot to pieces. Some have already mentioned Jim Leighton. A more recent comparison for me is Joe Hart’s last few years with England when he was an accident waiting to happen whenever anyone had a shot at goal.

Will Ole go for it? I suspect he might well do so. He has.a ruthless side and, compared to Fergie in 1990, he has a lot less emotional investment in his first choice keeper.

Web of Bissaka

Look at SAF's record in this regard:
1990 drops Jim Leighton for FA Cup final replay
2003 - Barthez never kicked another ball for us after the 4-3 v Real Madrid
2004 - Tim Howard spills it against Porto, we get knocked out Roy Carroll starts the rest of the season
2005 - Roy Carroll spills Seedorf's shot v Milan, we get knocked out, Carroll is finished at United

Ole has to be ruthless here, he should have dropped De Gea for Romero on the run in for top 4 last season, he didn't and it cost us
Can add Foster to the list.

SAF knew very soon he can't hack it as United's #1.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Picking De Gea for the remainder of this season could cost him his job, it’s that bad. It will also undermine his ruthless reputation. If we are serious about this cultural reboot then De Gea should never play for the club again. This is not reactionary, he has been costing us for two years now.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Ole has dropped players from starting XI when they haven't performed for him after prolonged runs. Lukaku, Sanchez, James, Lingard and spring to mind.

I'm not sure why he defends De Gea so blindly that it becomes comical.
Because we don't have a back up that is that much better.

Romero should have played the Cup match yesterday. Ole got that one wrong.

DDG would have benefitted from the rest. The game was a monumental feck up from our defence. Thank god it wasn't a league game.

SteveW

I still believe he's the best goalkeeper in the squad. Bit of a knee-jerk reaction to an admittedly terrible game yesterday, when he's actually been quite good recently. People have a narrative and every mistake will further convince them, while they'll fail to internalise his good performances.
Narrative....you've got to be kidding surely

Keefy18

Because we don't have a back up that is that much better.

Romero should have played the Cup match yesterday. Ole got that one wrong.

DDG would have benefitted from the rest. The game was a monumental feck up from our defence. Thank god it wasn't a league game.
I agree he should have, but I think a bigger plan is in action with De Gea starting.

I think he's already had a word with DDG and said look you gotta perform or your out and Henderson is in.

He sealed his own faith yesterday I reckon and Henderson will be our #1 on match day #1 next season.

SteveW

I've posted this elsewhere and I'll post it here as the opening 15 mins explains perfectly what he does with a player not performing.

He won't and likely shouldn't drop him for the last 2 games.

People need to consider man management here when handling this situation, there is a large Spanish / Latino contingent within the squad and dropping a player who was one of the worlds best suddenly will send on ripples of unhappiness quickly I reckon.

He'll get the final 2 games and then a word will be had that he isn't up to it and Ole can prove it with mistake after mistake and say that isn't good enough, you know it isn't yourself. So Henderson is #1 come game 1 next season and you'll be back up. I want you to fight for that jersey again, but I don't think he has it in him to retake it myself.

Mental. Can't drop him because it might upset Mata?

Inigo Montoya

Hang on... Last few games here:

Everton away - masssive mistake
City home - error free
Spurs away - poor on their goal
Sheff U home - error free
Brighton away - error free
Bournemouth home - very poor on their first, easily beaten at beaten at near post
Villa away - error free
Southampton - error free
Palace - error free
Chelsea - awful

If an error every few games is progress, we should be terrified.
Masssssive indeed:lol:. Needs to be emphasised

You have to say that at Palace, he kept us in the game. Credit where it's due

Strelok

DDG distribution is not great. If you want to play from the back you need players who can actually do that. Our CB's appear scared of the ball we do not get enough attacking from the fullbacks(but think that can improve). However most of all we have a goalkeeper who was fantastic but now drops clangers.
Problem is Romero's distribution and passing is even below meh. He's really bad with the ball at his feet. It would feck up our whole recent system.

Anyway it's just my thought. Can't deny that DDG has been horrible recently and any shot at him now scares the feck out of me. And our players as well imo.

Inigo Montoya

I agree he should have, but I think a bigger plan is in action with De Gea starting.

I think he's already had a word with DDG and said look you gotta perform or your out and Henderson is in.

He sealed his own faith yesterday I reckon and Henderson will be our #1 on match day #1 next season.
He's a Catholic isn't he?

Keefy18

Mental. Can't drop him because it might upset Mata?
And the rest?

What of Bruno? Fred? Periera? Dalot?

It's Ole's way of handling things and I'm applying the same logic to it.

One thing Ole shouldn't be questioned on is his man management skills to date, he's done a very good job of it thus far.

PieCrust

Same as Sanchez in a way but we might find a taker that will pay a large portion.
Always possible. Maybe some type of loan deal, again as you say, similar to Sanchez.

I only worry because as bad form as De Gea has been in, I don't think Romero or Henderson are better. Romero gets rose tinted glasses on here because he hardly ever plays. I think he's a great #2, but I don't rate him as a #1. I'd rather live with the growing pains of playing Henderson if Ole thinks he's ready and/or good enough.

I could proably live with moving De Gea on, Romero starting next year with Henderson #2 with an eye towards him being #1 in 2 years. But honestly De Gea is still the best option if we're looking to compete next season.

And the rest?

What of Bruno? Fred? Periera? Dalot?
You honestly think Brazilian Fred, who has been unlucky to be dropped himself, will cause a fuss about De Gea getting dropped for a couple of games after making a goal costing error every few games? :lol:

Or Periera and Dalot, both bench themselves at best?

Bruno has just joined and all he gives a shit about is winning, and if all “latinos” are one, Romero should be one they’ll accept.

ICHM

The points are too important to risk playing DeGea. DeGea needs to understand he needs to improve quite a lot to still be No1, and just playing him when he messes up frequently is not working.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
What inspires dedication and a will to improve yourself?

Backing from your boss when you make a mistake.

I'm legitimately concerned about De Gea's mistakes, it has cost us and *may* have cost us the cup final yesterday, we can't know that.

I don't believe dropping De Gea is the right thing to do at this stage in the season. We got 2 games to go, De Gea has put in some very, very good saves recently. Unfortunately that is all undone by the next bad performance.

What inspires dedication and a will to improve yourself?

Backing from your boss when you make a mistake.

I'm legitimately concerned about De Gea's mistakes, it has cost us and *may* have cost us the cup final yesterday, we can't know that.

I don't believe dropping De Gea is the right thing to do at this stage in the season. We got 2 games to go, De Gea has put in some very, very good saves recently. Unfortunately that is all undone by the next bad performance.
was dropping Leighton the right or wrong thing Tom?

DDG has been backed to the hilt by his boss.

James Peril

Ridiculous, sorry to say. Romero is the backup for a reason and he hasn’t played in a good while. So I turn the question back around, would you trust your life on a backup keeper who is used to playing without pressure in the cups and one that hasn’t played in ages? I admit DDG has done enough now to be criticised and then some, but he literally saved our asses against Palace a few days ago with a vintage display.

Solskjær will NEVER drop DDG for the last two games, it’s silly to even suggest it, waste of time. For next season he will also play all of the games, but after that it’s up in the air, especially if he looks human once more like this season. The risk of playing Romero is higher than playing DDG, like I said, the former always play in games without any pressure so to speak.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Problem is Romero's distribution and passing is even below meh. He's really bad with the ball at his feet. It would feck up our whole recent system.

Anyway it's just my thought. Can't deny that DDG has been horrible recently and any shot at him now scares the feck out of me. And our players as well imo.
Think when we signed DDG he suited our style and probably the style of most teams, he is a brilliant shot stopper. However the very top teams are moving away from that and are playing out from the back and their goalies are almost like outfield players and are part of the attacking process. It is like we are trying to go that way without actually having the components to do it consistently. I hate mentioning Liverpool, but look at their fullbacks and goalie, the production from their fullbacks. People say about them not being great defensive fullbacks, they don't have to be as their CB's are rock solid.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He does have it within him, but whether he does it for these last games is the question.

I would go by DDG's state of mind. If he shows any hesitancy or hint of doubt, then you have to drop him regardless. How he assesses that I don't know. Probably could use Sir Alex's skills with this one.

It's a difficult decision.

Hellboy

Ole’s loyalty to De Gea could have get him sacked last year. Same thing again this year, he should be dropped and sold in the summer !

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think we overrate Romero somewhat, but I'd have gone with him yesterday and I'd go with him the next two games. He might not have match-winning performances in him like De Gea used to, but he doesn't have a total howler in him like that either. You can forgive a goalkeeping howler if it's once now and again, but two in one game, plus the amount he's had this season alone should be putting him on the bench.

Keefy18

You honestly think Brazilian Fred, who has been unlucky to be dropped himself, will cause a fuss about De Gea getting dropped for a couple of games :lol:

Or Periera and Dalot, both bench themselves at best?
Folks seriously don't get man management at all.

As much as I disliked Jose, he was right that there was a cancer within the dressing room and he couldn't fix it himself. I actually think he aided it myself. Previously we had a culture of self entitlement, players promoting their own brands and putting in lazy performances.

Do you understand how strong the connection is with the latin players within the group? Go through Mata or De Gea's social media profiles for examples and that group of 5 or 6 players are joined at the hip pretty much. Mata himself stated he ran discussion nights at his own restaurant and tried to help Ole improve the morale and attitudes around the club.

It doesn't matter if they are first team players or not, if you upset the apple cart unfairly (to their minds) then it could have a knock on affect with attitude across the squad. They could well believe DDG should still be #1 going into next season

Ole as he has stated himself will give a player every chance to prove themselves to a point where it can no longer be justifiable and then silently drop them and sell them.

It's exactly what happened to Herrera and many others since he's been here.... why shouldn't we take Ole at his word and previous examples for use?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Does anyone know if we can play Henderson in the Europa?
Is there a rule that bans returning loanees doing so?

Folks seriously don't get man management at all.
Yes I do, first off you back a player to the hilt, for 1.5 seasons despite tonnes of mistakes. That shows loyalty and confidence in said player. However, after that backing not showing to have any effect, you show the players that you have a certain level of expectation and drop a player for a couple of games.

Anything else is simply showing the players that fecking up every few games is just fine by you.

And why are you ignoring that a latino is sat on the bench whilst DDG is making all these mistakes?

Okey

Tough decision no doubt. He'll probably stick with him for the last 2 games then get Romero in for Europa league. He's the Cup keeper after all. I was surprised DDG was in goal yesterday. Going forward, surely Henderson has to come back and get tested here. There's no guarantee he's good enough either. Romero is of course not the answer for our No. 1. DDG does need some time off but I think it'll be with the EL, not the Prem.