Does Ole have it in him to drop De Gea for the last 2 PL games?

hmchan

Well because he doesn't have any other alternatives, unless suddenly he starts trusting Romero to play every game.

People said same thing about Lingard, Pereira, once Bruno was signed Lingard barely makes first team squad. When you have good squad, you can drop any player. When your depth is so shit that one injury means Lingard or Pereira will play, then he can't drop anyone.
The reason why we have Romero (and Grant) as our backup is that he's capable to step up when needed. I don't see a reason why we can't start him, especially when the main goalkeeper is in such a bad form (or decline). Fergie dropped de Gea on multiple occassions and I don't think Lindegaard back then was a much more reliable option compared to Romero.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
You can’t make the decision in isolation. The only reason to do this is because you’ve already decided De Gea won’t be involved next season.

As others have mentioned though, De Gea has essentially been given the status of undroppable, so it becomes a big deal if he’s not there.
Agreed. DDG was very good against Palace, and it is too late in the season to send out such a strong message and take the gamble. Romero's not played for awhile and could be rusty as well.

I hope DDG starts against West Ham and Leicester.

AshRK

It's not the time to do that. It will just create unnecessary drama and will put extra pressure on romero too. Just get this 2 games done and then in europa play romero even if we are playing the finals.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The reason why we have Romero (and Grant) as our backup is that he's capable to step up when needed. I don't see a reason why we can't start him, especially when the main goalkeeper is in such a bad form (or decline). Fergie dropped de Gea on multiple occassions and I don't think Lindegaard back then was a much more reliable option compared to Romero.
SAF dropping De Gea is much more different, he was just a young player. Now it's different.

Did SAF drop Schmeichel when he made many mistakes in 1999? I don't think so, maybe wrong here.

MoskvaRed

Imagine Ole drop him for Romero who is also capable of making mistakes and we end up finishing outside of top 4?

Everyone will blame Ole on this one without a doubt, so I'm certain he will not make the change at this stage of the season.
I agree that Ole will cop the blame either way if there is a goalkeeping foul up on Wednesday or Sunday. Football management is a thankless task sometimes.

I just see Romero as the least bad option albeit with risks attached. If I were David Moyes (and what an unpleasant thought that is...) or Rodgers, I’d be instructing my players to shoot on sight against De Gea any time they are near the box.

norm87cro

I was thinking the same thing but in reality we should be aiming crushing West Ham 4 1 or 5 1 and that is not down to the keeper or the CBs. If we win convincingly there is no way we are losing 3 0 to Leicester

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Agreed. DDG was very good against Palace, and it is too late in the season to send out such a strong message and take the gamble. Romero's not played for awhile and could be rusty as well.

I hope DDG starts against West Ham and Leicester.
He will. Ole has shown faith in DDG but maybe it's waning a bit.

You're right though, it's too late to make that change. It'll only spread disruption

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I was thinking the same thing but in reality we should be aiming crushing West Ham 4 1 or 5 1 and that is not down to the keeper or the CBs. If we win convincingly the is no way we are losing 3 0 to Leicester
We're not losing 3-0 to Leicester anyway.

They are abysmal and to do that they have to raise their game more than 100%. Without key players and relying on Vardy/Barnes the whole time, they'll be fortunate to scrape a draw. win tomorrow and we don't even have to chase the game against them

Nikelesh Reddy

I still believe he's the best goalkeeper in the squad. Bit of a knee-jerk reaction to an admittedly terrible game yesterday, when he's actually been quite good recently. People have a narrative and every mistake will further convince them, while they'll fail to internalise his good performances.
Agree with this.His mistakes have certainly become more frequent and some of his errors have been inexcusable(including yesterday),but Ole wouldn’t be doing David or the club any favours by dropping him.I think that we should back him and support him through this rough patch....

Smores

Terenie are hardly 13 players of top 4 quality in our squas. Thanks Moyea, Van Gaal and Jose.
Didn't we finish top 4 under both Van Gaal and more recently Jose with those squad players in even more prominent roles? They're not as reliable but they were good enough for a 2nd place finish just two seasons ago.

On topic though there's not much reason to drop him in such a public manner with 2 games left, just needlessly escalates an issue.

HarryRedCrumbs

Ole is not SAF, and never will be, but perhaps the ruthless decision is what's needed. Get Romero in for the last few games and bring Henderson in next season. I'm not convinced that Romero can communicate well enough, that's my only worry.

DDG is a world class keeper albeit with a serious issue that needs to be sorted. Can we afford the time to sort it...? I don't think so, it's gone on for too long.

bsCallout

I don't believe for a second Ole intends to keep De Gea next season, despite his words of praise for De Gea. He'll be gone if there is any chance of it but a 375k sub wont be an option.

De Gea should start the next two games. Dropping him now would be stupid.

Red_toad

We went through a lot of the current stuff with Dave early in his United career, I remember all the people who had Lindegaard down as a better keeper . Dave did show excellent mental strength at the time and came through it all to establish himself as one of the best of his generation.
But looking at him now, he's simply not getting to stuff he used to be able to do, no idea if it's physical or mental, but it's been going on for a few years now, lord knows what happened in the Spanish camp in the World Cup. He returned without his swagger. I don't know if he'll ever recover.
Ole is doing just what Sir Alex did and backing him all the way. Time will tell if it's the wrong or right approach.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
See you'd hope after a mistake DDG would get his shit together for the game immediately following it but it does seem to be rarely a game goes by without there being a talking point around him

I don't think you drop him for these last two games, creates too much of a sideshow, what you do do though is keep Romero in goal for the EL games given he is the cup keeper (and should have played for that reason alone yesterday)

Pearl's a minger

I'm still struggling to see why he seems undroppable. Any other player in any other position who constantly underperformed over a long period of time would of been hooked by now. Either way, it sends a negative message 1. No matter how poor he is he still plays. If you were backup to these shit show performance's surely you'd be thinking you can't be rated by the gaffer. And the same goes for Henderson if he isn't at least given a chance to stake a claim. Unfortunately due to de geas astronomical wages I'd be amazed if anyone would touch him with a bargepole. In my opinion he's used up nearly all of his credit from previous seasons. Perhaps a kick up the arse and a spell on the bench now and at the start of the season may help,maybe it won't. Either way he's a liability at the moment and shouldn't be playing as 1st choice.

Lentwood

I'm hugely pro-Ole but I suspect the answer is, unfortunately, "no".

For me, that would be the wrong decision. I think it is clear to all now that this is not a 'blip' and we should no longer be putting De Gea's feelings above the well-being of the club. In all likelihood, the top four race (and by proxy how the entire season will be viewed) could come down to one goal.

We cannot afford to have a GK who's confidence is at rock-bottom and who's game has been riddled with mistakes for 18-mnths

See you'd hope after a mistake DDG would get his shit together for the game immediately following it but it does seem to be rarely a game goes by without there being a talking point around him

I don't think you drop him for these last two games, creates too much of a sideshow, what you do do though is keep Romero in goal for the EL games given he is the cup keeper (and should have played for that reason alone yesterday)
I agree with this.

There are optics the club and the manager need to think about carefully.

It’s just about ‘having balls’. OGS is perfectly capable of making any selection decision, but he needs to factor in what he’s going to do with DDG this summer to this a decision (which clearly we are not aware of yet).

Superunknown

I wonder how many players in our squad or members of staff laid into De Gea after yesterday's performance. I'm going to guess very, very few. I don't believe that De Gea feels threatened or in danger of losing his place at all.

He will play the next two games. If Ole doesn't trust Romero enough to play in the semi-final of a competition that he has played every game in, then he certainly isn't going to trust him in the two crucial games which dictate whether or not we get top four.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
His confidence is broken. He's just a post-2011 Victor Valdés by now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I wonder how many players in our squad or members of staff laid into De Gea after yesterday's performance. I'm going to guess very, very few. I don't believe that De Gea feels threatened or in danger of losing his place at all.

He will play the next two games. If Ole doesn't trust Romero enough to play in the semi-final of a competition that he has played every game in, then he certainly isn't going to trust him in the two crucial games which dictate whether or not we get top four.
Problem is it's the type of mistake where DDG doesn't need telling, at the end of the day they'll all be mates so they're not going to lay into him

If they're not all secretly thinking he needs to be replaced though I'd be shocked

OleGunnar20

It's a tough one. Inevitable blow to David's confidence aside, imagine the pressure that'd put on Romero's shoulders - an admittedly great backup keeper who seems more than happy being just that.

If it were up to me I'd drop him, but I doubt Ole will. Easier to stick with De Gea and show faith than make a switch and be bitten in the ass for it.

TheLord

There are four major issues here.

1. Ole has defended De Gea all season, even after shambolic performances. He even mustered enough courage to say a few weeks back that he is convinced De Gea is still one of the best goalies in the world. Once you stick with someone so strongly, it is difficult to eat your own words and that too for only a handful of matches that remain.

2. De Gea is on a bumper contract - £375,000 - for two more years. Moving him on is close to impossible in this economic climate. And on top of that, if you drop him for Romero for the most crucial part of the season, what happens to his valuation? Ed would no longer be able to fool any Spanish club, which he still could! The United board would still be hoping that De Gea can play “first team” football for two more years.

3. I don’t think Romero is any better.

4. Dean Henderson is only a marginal upgrade. He is not world class by any stretch of imagination.

There is no plan B for next season. United clearly need a world class keeper. Having two keepers on a mammoth payroll is difficult. This is one of the big transfer tests for United after the season ends.

I think it would be one of the stupidest decisions a Manchester United manger could make and honestly think anyone seriously considering it an option needs to think long and hard about the repercussions of it with 2 games to go and top 4 on the line.

If you’re Solskjaer and you bench De Gea these last 2 games you commit to selling him. You are publicly making a vote of no confidence in him having backed him all season and then casting him aside at its most crucial point. You then open up an even greater media storm around De Gea’s future for the last few games and into the summer. There is no recovering from that.

Equally say Romero makes a mistake you then have the worst of both scenarios.

Back De Gea. Bear in mind how often he has pulled off the incredible and saved our arses he’s certainly built up enough credit for me to be back for two more games.

His performance in the FA Cup was poor and I won’t defend that, but it’s one thing criticising a player for mistakes that shouldn’t be made and another removing them from play.
And what if Les Sealey made a mistake in that final replay?

FattyFooty

Look at SAF's record in this regard:
1990 drops Jim Leighton for FA Cup final replay
2003 - Barthez never kicked another ball for us after the 4-3 v Real Madrid
2004 - Tim Howard spills it against Porto, we get knocked out Roy Carroll starts the rest of the season
2005 - Roy Carroll spills Seedorf's shot v Milan, we get knocked out, Carroll is finished at United

Ole has to be ruthless here, he should have dropped De Gea for Romero on the run in for top 4 last season, he didn't and it cost us
Fergie was ruthless when it came to United. The old United would have moved on by now. But we have just given Gea a new contract, and we will stick with him.

On the bright side, has probably the keeper with the coolest win complication AND the coolest fail compilation.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He won't... it's just two games - so it's a lot easier for him to keep it as is.

Romero should start all the Europa League games anyway, so it won't be an issue after these 2 games are done.

Edy2

No just replace him in the summer as number 1. It might re-motivate him having to fight for his place back.

LDUred

After that game I am sure that David De Gea would have felt like absolute shit. The first goal was soft but the second was an absolute howler. I would have backed myself - as I'm sure a lot of fans would have backed themselves - to comfortably deal with Mount's shot. It was embarrassing to see an international goalkeeper beaten so easily on two occasions by innocuous efforts.

In David De Gea we have a world class goalkeeper who is occasionally costing us games through lapses in concentration. Personally, I would try and find out what's wrong with the guy rather than kicking him in the nuts and dropping him for Romero. If his attitude suggests that he's keen to put things right, I would back him 100% and keep him in the side for the last two games.

Ultimately, this is a goalkeeper who has been excellent for us over nine seasons. I would have a lot of difficulty as a manager dropping him from the team based on a few ropey performances. The moment that OGS as manager shows he has lost confidence in DDG, there is virtually no going back. De Gea will be gone. There's a kind of magnitude to dropping your number one that isn't the same as giving an out of form striker a break. I really don't think we are anywhere near that stage with DDG.

He is still 29 years old which is young for a goalkeeper. He's a massive asset to the club and dropping him weakens the side and also lowers his value if he were to be sold. Even Van Der Sar went through a lull in his career around a similar age. There's no reason why David De Gea cannot set things straight and raise his standards again.

I think fans want to see DDG punished because he cost us a game. Think about the points he has saved in the past. As long as his mindset is right, which I am 100% sure it is, I would write his name first on the teamsheet for West Ham.

The Red Thinker

Now is not the time to seed doubt into the minds of players. Now is the time to stick together and pull through.

When this season is finished, before the next one begins Ole needs to make his move.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He won't... it's just two games - so it's a lot easier for him to keep it as is.

Romero should start all the Europa League games anyway, so it won't be an issue after these 2 games are done.
But surely the issue is these 2 games? They are the gateway to CL qualification with literally £50m+ at stake - they are huge games, pivotal. you might as well call them a semi final and a final.

De Gea's, Romero's or Ole's feelings aren't really that important in light of that. In an ideal world, De Gea gets through the games and doesn't cost us and everything is right with the world. If, however, he costs us with a blunder or two, there's going to be outrage.

Ole is damned whatever he does if it doesn't come off. That much is for sure.

GBBQ

No just replace him in the summer as number 1. It might re-motivate him having to fight for his place back.
I think this is the sensible solution. Give Henderson a shot and see how it works out.

I just don't see DDG regaining form without valid competition and I don't really see Romero as good enough to push DDG. More importantly, Solskjaer clearly doesn't see Romero as good enough so one wobble and DDG would be back in.

padzilla

Hipster
The only thing that matters now is CL qualification. We would already be comfortably in third place without DDG's errors this season.

croadyman

If Ole drops De Gea in the next 2 matches, we may still lose top 4. However it would really convince me that Ole has it in him to be ruthless when necessary and he really learned his traits from the great Fergie. If not, his words about "being ruthless" were just all-talk.
Yeah this could be his chance to show he has that ruthless streak which made Fergie so successful for so many years.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
And what if De Gea let’s in another howler and we miss out on top 4 because of it? He would be hounded even worse
Then you deal with it. Players make mistakes and the fact is De Gea is better than Romero.

I like Romero but if you have Jamie Vardy coming through 1 on 1 regardless of prior mistakes I’d be far more confident in De Gea being the man to stop him.

It would be the single stupidest thing Ole will have done as manager of United to drop him and would show a complete lack of man management understanding and context.

I think the criticism here is reactionary to a disappointing performance in the FA Cup. Consider who has been in goal for our longest unbeaten run who has been in goal when we have been playing our best football and you stick with them for the next two games.

Even if you want to sell De Gea at the end of the season it makes sense to back him now. There is no valid argument for Romero being a good decision from a footballing, financial or management perspective.

Play Romero in the Europa fixtures. Keep De Gea in goal for our best chance at top 4.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yeah this could be his chance to show he has that ruthless streak which made Fergie so successful for so many years.
There is no need to be ruthless in this scenario. It would be stupid to try and make a statement over one serious error.

When Ole is encouraging the team to play without fear, to try risky passes, to have a strong mentality you don’t get that from just dropping someone when they make an error.

You give them the chance to rectify the mistake first.

croadyman

There is no need to be ruthless in this scenario. It would be stupid to try and make a statement over one serious error.

When Ole is encouraging the team to play without fear, to try risky passes, to have a strong mentality you don’t get that from just dropping someone when they make an error.

You give them the chance to rectify the mistake first.
I would totally agree with you if it was one serious error but he made two in the game alone yesterday. Not forgetting about the other eight or so he has made since Arsenal away last season.

He has just not looked there at all since the last world cup and cannot trust a GK who is in that sort of form for such a long period of time.