Does our form/mess affecting your desire to watch football?

BigDycheEnergy

If lads only want to support us 'cos we're good then who is fussed if they don't?
I don't agree with this mindset. The kids who don't "inherit" a team to support are generally gonna be gloryhunters. But once they get older, typically in their early teens, they wont change teams even when things look bleak. They're in too deep. That is why success and entertainment is so important for future financial success.

Right now there are a feckton of international United supporters in their 30's and early 40's who are ready to have kids of their own. Their kids will of course become United supporters, but will they be as passionate? First of all they might not even be into football to begin with, but even if they are they might not enjoy it as much as they could. Boredom, lack of genuine highlights and school banter will very quickly turn kids into passive fans.

Lynty

Nope. Our form or league position has no bearing on my love of football.

I disliked watching us towards the end of Jose' tenure, as it was just boring defensive displays. You can't say its boring now :lol:

I'll watch whatever game is on TV if I have the time on a Saturday afternoon/evening. I just go out of my way to make time to watch United.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't agree with this mindset. The kids who don't "inherit" a team to support are generally gonna be gloryhunters. But once they get older, typically in their early teens, they wont change teams even when things look bleak. They're in too deep. That is why success and entertainment is so important for future financial success.

Right now there are a feckton of international United supporters in their 30's and early 40's who are ready to have kids of their own. Their kids will of course become United supporters, but will they be as passionate? First of all they might not even be into football to begin with, but even if they are they might not enjoy it as much as they could. Boredom, lack of genuine highlights and school banter will very quickly turn kids into passive fans.
Exactly that.

Dr Foo

Hmm it makes it depressing to watch us for sure. But it's the hope and support that keeps drawing us back, esp with a new manager now.

However, I find that because of our absolute crapshow of football played the past few years, I now find enjoyment watching other teams play. From a neutral football perspective, there's a lot to admire - maybe because United has set the bar so low. In the opening PL games we are rightfully the worse team now - the likes of Leicester, Southampton etc all played better than us. I enjoyed the Spurs Chelsea game last night too, which illuminated just how far far away we are from the top 6 atm

avgp_1

Yes it does when other teams are playing well and you look at what we serve up but you still realise that the games around are entertaining if you keep United out of it.

Harold_Giles

No, I still watch as much PL footie as I can.
Fantasy football is a nice way to keep it interesting.
Our form over recent years has been frustrating. There was a time where I would not miss a United match, but it's no longer a priority for me if I have a conflicting schedule. Might have something to do with getting older and having a family.
Forget us. Will young tennagers around the world grow up supporting this united in coming years?

Liverpool being shit for about 25 years doesn't seem to have affected their support. I don't know why it shouldn't be the same for us.

pseudo_canadian

No, the other games help me keep my sanity. I enjoy watching the rest of the Prem teams/other games across Europe.

If I was only allowed to watch United games then I would be admitted to an insane asylum.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Yeah I’ve been watching more swedish football and less premier league last few years. I obviously watch every United game but I was more emotionally invested before.
I dont get angry or depressed when we lose anymore. It’s like when your best friend fecks you over and over again. You stop caring eventually.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I've only really watched United games for a while now anyway. Outside of international tournaments, non-United football doesn't really interest me much regardless of how we're doing, I'll usually watch the highlights on youtube of certain PL or CL games that don't involve us, but rarely a full 90. That said, I keep watching United. Even the drubbings, I watch to the final whistle.

Nothing comes close to the emotional attachment to United, but at the same time, I don't find football to be a particularly great neutral spectator sport, so I just don't watch much of it anymore. For watching two teams I have no attachment to, I'd rather watch rugby league, NHL or NFL/CFB.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yes but in a weird kind of way. My passion for football overall is down but I also do enjoy watching non-United games a lot more because football's just better and I don't have to watch those clowns attempt to replicate what their colleagues do as business as usual.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Absolutely! Use to enjoy watching rivals games aswell hoping we’d gain points over them like yesterday, Chelsea and spurs drawing would of been good for us if we’d of WON but no. No other result matters for us anymore as we can’t win ourselves.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Absolutely!

Haven't watched MOTD in God knows how long. Can't stand watching city or Liverpool games because of how good they are. I didn't even bother with the game yesterday, Chelsea v spurs, usually id always watch it as they tend to be tasty encounters.

I'm even at a stage where I avoid watching highlights of our games under fergie. Just makes me feel sad thinking how far we've regressed :(

cj_sparky

I really enjoyed watching other matches yesterday.

Forest's first game at home being back in the Premier League. What seemed like a great atmosphere, having no fear and going out from the start on the front foot. Had 8 new signings starting, 16 signed already with 2-3 still on the cards. Yet look far more together, drilled and coordinated than us, despite barely knowing each other. Westham played their part in an entertaining match too.

Fiery London derby, full of controversy.

Then watched Roma, in a pretty one sided game. But time still seemed to fly by and certainly wasn't dull.

Watching other teams for me just highlights how disjointed and broken we are confidence wise right now. Worst start to the weekend watching the 21's get spanked 5-1 on Friday and being on the end of a 4-0 loss 24 hours later with the first team. Glutton for punishment.

Harold_Giles

It's a bit worrying for me how I'm starting to enjoy City wins.
My hate for Liverpool runs deep, so it's a matter of anyone but them.

littlepeasoup

It has an impact on my mood, sure, but I don't think it'll ever impact my love of football in general. Chelsea Spurs yesterday was so much fun to watch regardless of the shitshow that was Saturday.

CM10

It actually makes me appreciate good football a little bit more, I think. There's a bit of frustration mixed in but we're a club who are rotten right from the very top. Might as well try and get some enjoyment out of football somewhere because we won't have any here for a while.

Von Mistelroum

Forget us. Will young tennagers around the world grow up supporting this united in coming years?
Absolutely not, and this is the thing that the Glazers seem to be overlooking. If they want this cash cow to continue producing milk, they need to address this.

Young fans see the state we're in and are generally not likely to become fans. This was true years ago of casual fans, but will now be affecting serious football fans who might otherwise be United fans.

My cousin lives in Manchester (I don't) and has three sons. Takes them to matches where he can etc, he's a huge United supporter so obviously took them to United matches. Then the eldest two wanted to start going to City matches...

Long story short, even the younger son now supports City despite being very loyal to his dad and refusing to budge before. I'm not saying this will happen everywhere, but I live in Bradford and there used to be loads of United shirts around in the summer. Now it's mostly Liverpool (counting premier League teams... Obviously Bradford shirts too) and a few Chelsea/Arsenal/City. Haven't seen a United shirt in a very long time until the other day when I spotted one and remember it because I was quite surprised.

It stands to reason though. Kids want to be entertained. They do not want to be constantly humiliated and having to defend the likes of Maguire in school. They have enough problems without that

Andersons Dietician

Second season in a row it is happening to me. All these years, despite our form and results, i would watch other games, watch all highlights next day and spend some time on web during the week to see what is happening in PL and around Europe.
At this moment i don't do anything of that. I watch United of course and read about us and that is it. I didn't even have any desire to watch Chelsea-Spurs.

So am i the only one whos desire in football (not counting United games) is at rock bottom at the moment?
I’ve been like this for a few years. Started around Jose time but yes. I used to watch all football just because I loved it. But then slowly I just lost interest and stopped watching other games as it just made me depressed.

I did start watching more woman’s games mind.
Now I only ever watch United because I’m a sadist that likes to feel pain.

soapythecat

I cancelled Sky sports last season and won’t be paying for it this season either. I can’t watch other PL teams doing well when United are so poor, as petty as it sounds I just can’t.
I struggle to watch MOTD too. Watching United play so badly is just not enjoyable at all. It’s painful to watch players not giving a shit.
Sky and other outlets will start hitting the panic button if we continue to languish in the bottom 3. Us getting relegated would massively hit them in the pockets.

Back To Madeira

Indeed, I feel the same as many others here. For me it's a lot harder to watch exciting football and teams you dislike doing well when your own team is in the mire.

I never seen as much as a goal in any of the other games last weekend. Similarly, I only caught Chelsea's opener yesterday via a video posted in the Premier League thread.

And to think I was excited for the start of the season!

Andy_Cole

Yes - I used to watch it all. Whenever we lost (which previously less than now!) I’d avoid all other football for the weekend. Now it seems we’re losing every week so my football intake is minimal. I’ll watch most games in World Cup. Probably should find a second club in a different league to support so I can watch more football. Maybe Dortmund or Milan.

Robbie Boy

Nah, I've always been a massive footie fan in general. I enjoyed both the Chelsea/Spurs and Almeria/Real games yesterday. Even at our pomp, I enjoyed football outside of the Manchester United bubble.

I've become totally numb to our sorry state over the last decade or so. A United loss used to be absolutely unbearable to me, and would genuinely affect my whole weekend. Now though, it's just become the norm.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I watch more football than ever tbh - well EPL stuff. United is just like watching a good sitcom now.. I don't even watch the games with any seriousness now it is that bad.

lex talionis

Watching United these days is a bit like watching a grisly murder on television. It’s déclassé but you can’t help but watch it.

RedorDead21

I left the pub at half time for the last game and didn’t watch our opening game. I don’t like watching us if I’m being honest. Never used to enjoy watching the big games as I was so nervous so I’d follow instead just on radio or text updates. Starting to feel the same no matter who we play.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
No, for whatever reason I'm actually looking forward to the Liverpool game.

wangyu

It doesn't affect my mood whatsoever. I only grow disinterested during our games, so I can barely formulate anything substantial because I just switched off mentally after we went 2-0 down. It has been a long time when I actually celebrated a goal (I'm talking about years), I just watch emotionless for the most part.
I still enjoy watching other teams (except Liverpool I can't stand watching them)

sokol11

If lads only want to support us 'cos we're good then who is fussed if they don't?
For a new fans what would then be a reason to start supporting United currently? McTominay and Fred press resistance? Dalot aimless long balls and crosses? Bruno wasting pass after pass? DeGea playing out from the back?

Will Singh

Completely gone off footie, I watched a little of Forest yesterday and couldn’t get my head round how well other teams looked organised and in sink. So yeah I’ve gone off watching footie and normally can’t wait for the World Cup but that doesn’t excite me now either.…

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
With United, I've grown more apathetic. The losses don't hurt as much as they used to when we were good, and the wins (lol remember them?) don't feel as good anymore. These days I'm more inclined to say Yes to a day out with the missus, even when I know I'll miss the match (Saturday, for example). Whereas about 5 years ago I would watch every United game at all costs.

Football in general; I'm still probably as engaged

RedDevil@84

Forget us. Will young teenagers around the world grow up supporting this united in coming years?
Nobody does already. My niece supports Liverpool and Juventus. Many of her PL watching friends support Pool and City

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Yes it has. Mainly because I still care so deeply. It has the ability to ruin my weekend. I’m a single dad to a 7 year old girl, and now I tend to prioritise doing activities with her instead of watching the games, not least because she doesn’t have to put up with me moping about for hours after another humiliating loss. If I didn’t get so down after the games, I’d probably stick it through a little more but they’ve pushed me to the point of actually avoided most of the games.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
United constantly shooting themselves in the foot vis a vis new fans too. Things like not letting FM use their name, how does that actually help them?

motsjo

I take such great pleasure in watching liverpool fail to reach their goals (like losing the CL final, and losing the league in the final 20 minutes of the season was hilarious :lol: ), and combined with my all time low expectations for united, it is what it is. Also, I'm Norwegian, and I don't mind city winning with Haaland, he's such a beast.