Does our form/mess affecting your desire to watch football?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
For me it has, though age and other responsibilities likely play a part as well. I used to stay up and watch every champions league game (2:45am kick off here), and other mid week games. Now I just don't bother. Its more an assumption we are not going to win anyway, so can just watch the highlights at a later date. Nowadays I'm only watching live games that are on at times that suit me.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not necessarily true. Go to Asia and it's still all Utd and Liverpool, with the odd Arsenal thrown in, even amongst kids. As it always has been.
Not exactly true. What you see today is the byproduct of united dominance in the 90s and 00s.

10 15 years from now it'll be like when i was young and all i see is Manchester supporter with patches of Liverpool supporters.

This thing arent magic. If you're shit nobody would start supporting you.

caid

It affects my desire to watch United.
Theres some slapstick fun to our football but its generally just kind of painful to watch. Glory hunter probably isn't far off, i'd say entertainment hunter is closer to the mark. United in particular are way too soulless to be attached to much else. But then i've hung around and watched all our matches the last 10 years for some reason. Maybe it would be easier to accept if we were just a regular mid table team looking for bargains and gambling on Aurnautovic (thank feck I dont have to learn to spell his name) but it was somewhat coherent and there was some structure and plan to our play instead of such an expensively assembled band of misfits
It kind of feels like i'd nearly be doing the club a favour by not watching them at this point too? Which is a bit weird. I mean i'm pretty sure it makes no difference whatsoever but what other protest is available to me ultimately?
There is a breaking point. I've basically ignored Italian football since Calciopoli and I used to watch that a lot. I could probably get back into it now but its been 14 / 15 years or something.

lee82gx

Not exactly true. What you see today is the byproduct of united dominance in the 90s and 00s.

10 15 years from now it'll be like when i was young and all i see is Manchester supporter with patches of Liverpool supporters.

You can't tell the future for sure. But United dominance was ADDED with Satellite TV ubiquity. Even Liverpool were not so dominant in the 90s and they still to this day have plenty of supporters who have seen little of the 70's and 80's dominance too.

I'd say its history, the story, the romance, the swagger and the ups and downs of Utd throughout its own existence that really pulls in the fans. But let me say, we have thoroughly dragged ourselves through dung for the past decade and it is NOT looking good.

What I do not absolutely like is the animosity or the perceived animosity of the match day going crowd who belittle or abuse us overseas fans as bandwagoners, glory hunters, or just fickle.

As if there should only 75,000 permanent people who can call themselves fans of MUFC. As if they are the only ones who can criticize the club, manager or players.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I grew up in India in the 00s and there were plenty of Pool fans, 15 years after their last title. It's pretty much the same now with Utd. Clubs this size of Utd and Liverpool will always maintain a fanbase.

BackfromtheRed

Personally the sheer money involved has been a turn off for a while for me. I dropped my Sky subscription a year or so back, not because I couldn't afford it but I just resented the cost and hyperbole that went with it.

I have a French team I support also (Nice) because I lived down there a while and I actually prefer the more low key approach.

The fact that the team is so awful and insipid clearly doesn't help....

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I grew up in India in the 00s and there were plenty of Pool fans, 15 years after their last title. It's pretty much the same now with Utd. Clubs this size of Utd and Liverpool will always maintain a fanbase.
Case in point. I go to pubs and we have Chelsea City supporters en masse, something that's I never encountered before.

And that City / Chelsea fans comes from liverpool and ours pool of potential supporter.

downunder red

I must be mad. I'm still getting up all hours of the mornings. If and I hope things get turned around, I guess it will be all the sweeter.

matsdf

I feel the exact same way, and have for a couple of years. I used to look forward to big CL games, but I don't anymore. I missed the last two finals after watching the previous twenty or so.

kthanksbye

It has affected my desire to watch United and questioned my loyalty to the club, but on the contrary, I've started to enjoy watching other games now, I watched the Liverpool game last night and I quite enjoy watching other teams play now. Watched most Barca games last season, since Xavi took over.

Loon

:lol:
I would have been all over the Chelsea Vs Spurs game normally. I worked on the car instead.

United I'm with until I die.

Last edited:

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I have been a fan for 65 years. I live in Kent, so I'm called a Cockney Red and been abused as a glory hunter by Reds and ABU's since and have to put up with plenty of stick now but Manchester United is my one and only club (apart from the mighty Vigo RFC). I will continue to follow them whatever. I followed them in what was the 2nd Division , collected a few bumps and bruises along the way - Millwall was interesting - and I shall continue even if we did get relegated. . No compromises. Venceremos.

ManRed

Last few years my interest has dropped and also my excitement. I cant even bother to watch after we go a goal down as their is no spirit or characters in the team. Its difficult to see such a beautiful successful club being run down to the ground. To make it worse its our bitter rivals who are at the top of their game and really showing us up.

CloneMC16

I don't know how foreign fans that have to watch games during the night do it. If you stay up or wake up specifically to watch this shit every game, you're insane.

I went through a period during Mourinho's time that I lost complete interest. I just looked at the scores. I didn't watch United or any other football. Started watching again when Project Restart happened. Even though 90% of the games last season were awful, I watched almost all of them. I've also enjoyed watching other teams play. The only issue is, I get frustrated watching other teams play better than us.

I keep watching and hoping for the best, but the team continuously fails.

JB7

What I do not absolutely like is the animosity or the perceived animosity of the match day going crowd who belittle or abuse us overseas fans as bandwagoners, glory hunters, or just fickle.

As if there should only 75,000 permanent people who can call themselves fans of MUFC. As if they are the only ones who can criticize the club, manager or players.
I think it's fair to say there is just as much, if not more, more animosity towards match--going fans from the overseas fans than vice versa.

JB7

I don't know how foreign fans that have to watch games during the night do it. If you stay up or wake up specifically to watch this shit every game, you're insane.
It's just what you do. I don't get this attitude, your team is your team so when they play you watch them if you can. Just because United aren't as good as they used to be it doesn't make them any less the team we all support so staying up to watch your team play is certainly not "insane". There are considerably worse teams than United that people stay up all hours to watch.

LARulz

Well, I stopped having that much interest since pre Fergie retiring but then lost even when we were a chore to watch and had my own personal issues. Now the personal issues are slightly more manageable but my interest in football is nowhere near the same. I of course still care to some degree but enjoy discussing it more - if I miss a United game I am not that bothered and therefore care even less if it's a non United game

Maybe it's just a part of growing up, most people I know (non United fans) also feel the same. Football is important but we now have more important things in life to deal with than when we were younger - football essentially takes up less of the pie than before

Paul_Scholes18

I am talking about desire to watch other games and love for football in general. Not about love for United and desire for watching our games. That thing can't change.
Agree well I did enjoy Liverpool suffer and Nunez red, but it would help if we played better.

CloneMC16

It's just what you do. I don't get this attitude, your team is your team so when they play you watch them if you can. Just because United aren't as good as they used to be it doesn't make them any less the team we all support so staying up to watch your team play is certainly not "insane". There are considerably worse teams than United that people stay up all hours to watch.
True. I guess they're better fans than I. I highly doubt I would get up to watch these lads get thrashed every other game. It isn't enjoyable. Even living in England, I feel like I'm wasting my time watching some of these games. I'm hate watching at this point.

mctrials23

Nah, I watch the bigger games for the other top teams in the league and enjoy watching them.

I've been doing it for years which is why I was completely flabbergasted at the number of people in here who genuinely thought that Ole was building something that could compete with them. Our level has been miles off City, Liverpool and Chelsea for years now.

scottser

it's very unhealthy to only watch your own team, i think. could you imagine only watching united this last year? it would put you off the game for life..

lee82gx

I think it's fair to say there is just as much, if not more, more animosity towards match--going fans from the overseas fans than vice versa.
Why? I certainly don't. If anything they are living the dream. I work in a relatively nice job in my country, have a stable income and even so, its really hard for me to imagine a day where I'd be watching a match live. We envy, and at the same time respect those who trudge through the gates and pay that expensive ticket to see the lack of desire from our team today.

But it is true, I have not missed a match, even at 3am, from the day I had my own TV and satellite account from 2008 to 2020. Before that we make our ways to pubs and cafes at 3am too. I once stayed at an apartment that had a direct view of a projector screen, but I watched from roughly 400m away, with a binocular. Ok, I should've made my way down.

JB7

Why? I certainly don't. If anything they are living the dream. I work in a relatively nice job in my country, have a stable income and even so, its really hard for me to imagine a day where I'd be watching a match live. We envy, and at the same time respect those who trudge through the gates and pay that expensive ticket to see the lack of desire from our team today.

But it is true, I have not missed a match, even at 3am, from the day I had my own TV and satellite account from 2008 to 2020. Before that we make our ways to pubs and cafes at 3am too. I once stayed at an apartment that had a direct view of a projector screen, but I watched from roughly 400m away, with a binocular. Ok, I should've made my way down.
I'm not saying you do or that everyone does, it's just how it comes across on here at times. I'm not saying it doesn't go both ways because at times it does. I don't want to derail the thread or make it a one side vs the other side so I'll leave it there and say this; the belittlement of the fanbase from either side is very disappointing as ultimately we should all want the same thing, a successful Manchester United.

I watch an MLS side every week so I know exactly your feelings, I tend to get to watch them in person once a year but other than that it tends to be midnight kick offs after midnight every week. Once the club gets under your skin it's a part of you whether you like it or not and that doesn't matter where in the world you are. I love your story about watching from 400m away by the way, I'm so intrigued as to why you didn't go down. :lol:

matsdf

Nah, I watch the bigger games for the other top teams in the league and enjoy watching them.

I've been doing it for years which is why I was completely flabbergasted at the number of people in here who genuinely thought that Ole was building something that could compete with them. Our level has been miles off City, Liverpool and Chelsea for years now.
Really? I mean... Kind of weird to include a team that has finished 26, 33, 19 and 19 points behind the champions for the past four seasons. Oh, and they have finished behind us in two of those four seasons as well.

Last edited:

mctrials23

Really? I mean... Kind of weird to include a team that has finished 26, 33, 19 and 19 points behind the champions for the past four seasons. Oh, and they have finished behind us in two of those four seasons as well.
They still regularly play football that is a country mile above us, won the CL a few seasons back and are generally in a way better position than us and are far far more entertaining. Even when we came second we weren't close to playing as good football as any of the teams around us. Personally I don't enjoy watching us bumble around the pitch for 85 minutes and then score with a few flashes of inspiration.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I can’t lie. When we were losing 4-0 the other day I was still watching it. I wasn’t shouting at the TV, I wasn’t oooo and ahhh- ing. I was just numb. That’s what United has done to me over the last 10 years. Something keeps pulling me back to the club when I get annoyed or upset at our results. Even when losing and getting bartered, I still sit and watch them.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I can’t lie. When we were losing 4-0 the other day I was still watching it. I wasn’t shouting at the TV, I wasn’t oooo and ahhh- ing. I was just numb. That’s what United has done to me over the last 10 years. Something keeps pulling me back to the club when I get annoyed or upset at our results. Even when losing and getting bartered, I still sit and watch them.
That is because you are a proper Manchester United supporter. It is in your blood and it matters to you.
I too feel numb. Especially because there is precious little light at the end of a very long and dark tunnel.

It is only 2 games so let's give the guy a chance.
I just hope that the players do the same.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Us getting ripped apart and then seeing the live meltdown in the matchday thread and then after full time is entertaining.

You see my expectations is us finishing bottom half so its hard to be disappointed if we get trounced.

OpenIntrovert

Anybody who says they don't want to watch the club's games because of the form we are in, cannot call themselves fans. I have watched this club across all managers and regardless of our form, I have always watched. Its called hoping that the club turns around and gives a performance.

Those who have said they watch other clubs or refuse to watch the club's games simply because you only want to see the club when it is at its best, can find another club to support. Do leave the forum as well.

Lyng

Not at all. I love watching football. It does hurt to watch how bad we are at the moment though.

DevilRed

Absolutely. Depressing to watch. I skipped so many matches last season. I think the same will be true of this season.

Just can't stand watching these bunch of clowns disgrace the shirt.

little.triangles

Serious question, if (for example) you only watch Chelsea games (because you enjoy watching them and United are too hard to watch) and find yourself starting to back Chelsea to win, are you still a United fan?

I’m not being a top red, I’ve been thinking about watching other teams, but have always been a United fan rather than a football fan previously so don’t know what I’m doing.
Not sure what you mean, but I can enjoy a football match for the skill and the spectacle without the emotional investment that goes with watching United. It's like watching the world cup because my country is never in it. I can never "support" another club, not even in a different league. I have thought at times of following Madrid or Bayern and basking in their guaranteed glory, but the thought disappears in seconds. Just can't muster up the emotional connection I have with United.

Now as far as United is concerned, I have gone past worrying about out dire situation and have come to the view that the Glazers will feck off in the next three years, either forced out or by the club descending into a state where it is no longer a cash cow (there are some indications already regarding cash reserves etc.). More hope than anything.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Yep I'm truly bored with it all. It's dire watching us get worse with each passing year and City/Liverpool improving with each passing year. I'd rather not watch any football than suffer week in week out.

Nickelodeon

I usually enjoy watching all PL matches. But once we feck up our game, I don't feel like watching any remaining PL games on that weekend. It does come back in a couple of days, particularly for midweek matches, but if we lose an early kick off on Saturday, I barely watch any other PL games.

For United games, it is a pain I always inflict on myself. Don't think I missed a single game last season.