Does Rooney deserve a statue?

Counterfactual

If City can put up statues to David Silva and Vincent Kompany, I think we can do one for Rooney, our top goal scorer.

In fact, if we did all our legends, we'd need a boulevard of statues whereas City would struggle to fill Trafalgar Square's four plinths.

Last edited:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Depends if his contributions and records stand the test of time. You could have someone come along and blow his records out of the water.

I imagine back in 2007 you’d be thinking Ronaldinho would get a statue at Nou Camp, but he’s an afterthought after Messi now.
Ronaldinho was replaced and his career outclassed whilst he was still playing.

We've won nothing since he left. Zilch.

Offsideagain

I think Rooney’s legacy is tinted by the transfer request scenario and signing for City rumours. However, a statue in a few years time would be appropriate especially if it’s of him doing the overhead he scored in the derby.

lysglimt

Scout
Let me put it like this, there are many players at this club who deserve a statue as much as Best and Law.

Easily 7-8-9 players

Stevieboy

Wouldn't mind that: Line up the Ronaldo statue facing a statue of Phil Jones wearing his signature Phil Jones face and call it "The Woodward era: a monument to wasting cash" - that'd be art.
Chesterlestreet, that’s where Captain Marvel was born wasn’t it?

Cantonagotmehere

I love Wazza but to get a statue at OT is a tough one with so many others maybe equally deserving.

I'd give Vidic one today though, love that dude to bits.

BehemothTerror

I'd give him a joint statue with Ronaldo to symbolize that era for United. Class of 92 (Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Butt and the Nevilles should all get a joint statue first though.

MoskvaRed

I’d go for a group mural or mosaic as there are too many others also deserving of recognition. The Last Supper would be ideal but The School of Athens would also work.

Threesus

As much as I love Rooney, he doesn't deserve a statue. Law, Sir Bobby and Best have won the Balon d'or and are the only players who appear in all time forwards, midfielders polls who played for Man Utd. Ronaldo does too, but he is more Real Madrid than United.
Roy Keane is more deserving of a statue than Rooney IMO.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think a club’s top scorer of all time deserves a statue by default. Nevermind all the magical moments that he gave us within that period.

FattyFooty

If City can put up statues to David Silva and Vincent Kompany, I think we can do one for Rooney, our top goal scorer.

In fact, if we did all our legends, we'd need a boulevard of statues whereas City would struggle to fill Trafalgar Square's four plinths.
Heh...

We have like 20-30 legends over those two.
We need to measure against ourself, not City. We had so many more legends than them.

Achilles McCool

Let me put it like this, there are many players at this club who deserve a statue as much as Best and Law.

Easily 7-8-9 players
Agreed!
If Rooney deserves a statue, which I’d argue he DOES (club’s record goal scorer, League winner and Champions League winner), then so does Ryan Giggs, Eric Cantona and Cristiano

RedDevil@84

Does Rooney deserve a statue? Yes

His records and numbers speak for themselves. Legend of the club. Easily.

Should he get one? No
We are not a statue club. We cannot build a statue for all legends. At different times in history, certain players have come and influenced the team in different ways and been critical in achieving success and trophies. But unfortunately, if we start building statues, we would look like Vatican City.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Agreed!
If Rooney deserves a statue, which I’d argue he DOES (club’s record goal scorer, League winner and Champions League winner), then so does Ryan Giggs, Eric Cantona and Cristiano
Cristiano and a statue? Are you for real?

He was a great player for 3 seasons and then he fecked off.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Agreed!
Giggs 100%. Cantona had huge impact on this club and is our legend but statue...no.
Ronaldo? Is that a joke?

James Peril

Absolutely not. He flirted with another club, he caused a bit of controversy and he messed up with Sir Alex - the biggest of all. Wayne Rooney and Roy Keane do not even deserve free season tickets at Old Trafford, they made their bed and so on. Loyalty counts when legends are written.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I like the mural idea, agree with statues you end up looking like a museum and not a football club

MoskvaRed

Absolutely not. He flirted with another club, he caused a bit of controversy and he messed up with Sir Alex - the biggest of all. Wayne Rooney and Roy Keane do not even deserve free season tickets at Old Trafford, they made their bed and so on. Loyalty counts when legends are written.
Both Keane and Rooney were among the best players in the world at a time when other clubs were offering big wages. In such circumstances, and certainly for players who aren’t born and bred Reds, it is mainly the mediocre who will stay on without agitating for a pay rise.

Achilles McCool

Giggs 100%. Cantona had huge impact on this club and is our legend but statue...no.
Ronaldo? Is that a joke?
I’d be more inclined to give Cantona a statue over Giggs!
As far as Ronaldo...I’m not saying that I want him to have one, but he’s just as important to our history as Rooney

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Not sure why people keep bringing up his England credentials. Who gives a shit. Should be of no relevance to Manchester United.

He also achieved feck all with England from a team perspective, so he doesn't deserve one at Wembley either.

I'd give him a joint statue with Ronaldo to symbolize that era for United. Class of 92 (Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Butt and the Nevilles should all get a joint statue first though.
Ronaldo no... we need to get over this Ronaldo thing. He had 2 world class seasons at United and then went to Real Madrid where he spent 9 seasons averaged more than a goal every match, won 4 champions leagues, his greatest international achievements occurred while he was a RM player. History, will remember Ronaldo as Real Madrid legend. Ronaldo will remember himself first and foremost as a Real Madrid legend. Fans throughout the world think Ronaldo = Real Madrid.

In the same token Beckham had a few great years at Real Madrid but he is a a United legend first and foremost, he considers himself a United legend firstly and fans associate Beckham with United.

Last edited:

redmanx

Exactly I fully agree and those were names just quickly off the top of my head which didn’t include Nobby Stiles or Duncan Edwards or as you’ve said Jimmy Murphy so there’s simply too many and that right to a statue should be reserved for THE VERY biggest of our legends that have played for the club.

Right now I honestly think only Eric Cantona and Ryan Giggs are truly worthy of having a statue and that isn’t a slight on all our other legends over the years, simply more that those two are the two main standouts from the greatest period in the clubs history along with Sir Alex.
Cantona and Giggs most certainly, but Jimmy Murphy ought to have a statue too and last year there was talk of United erecting one or a memorial to him in the stadium; there is of course the Jimmy Murphy Award for young players.

Polar

I was a big fan of Rooney, but to even consider giving a statue to a 35y old guy is crazy.

Last edited:

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Cantona is the one who should have a statue as he took you to the next level along with Fergie.

Collar up after that goal (not sure who against) but he just stood there as the King he was.

Rooney, naaah.

edit: and if Ole takes you to the title he should be a contender.

Dante

Average bang
I wouldn't. His body may have been at United but his heart was always at Everton.

If a bronze statue ever gets cast, Rooney would deep down be wishing the shirt was blue rather than red. Statues aren't just snapshots to help people remember the good times; they're also memorials to the individual and what they stood for. As much as I admire, respect and even loved him as a player, I couldn't ever support the idea of immortalising an Evertonian who still bleeds blue. That's also the reason I don't think Ronaldo should ever get anywhere near Old Trafford.

Cantona, Scholes, Giggs and Keane are all ahead of Rooney in the queue, imo. Hell, I'd probably put Evra ahead too as I think he embodies the passion of the United cause to a greater extent.

For a club of our size, we should never be building a statue for a player who considers United his second team.

Last edited:

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I think Rooney’s legacy is tinted by the transfer request scenario and signing for City rumours. However, a statue in a few years time would be appropriate especially if it’s of him doing the overhead he scored in the derby.
That would be such a brilliant statue!

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I’d be more inclined to give Cantona a statue over Giggs!
As far as Ronaldo...I’m not saying that I want him to have one, but he’s just as important to our history as Rooney
Ronaldo is not as important to our history as Rooney. For Ronaldo, United was just a stepping stone for Madrid. I'm sure we would have managed the same number of titles and silverware without him.

Rooney on the other hand, left his boyhood club and served us well and long enough to be considered an important part of our history.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agreed!
He deserves it much more than Ronaldo.

Achilles McCool

Ronaldo is not as important to our history as Rooney. For Ronaldo, United was just a stepping stone for Madrid. I'm sure we would have managed the same number of titles and silverware without him.

Rooney on the other hand, left his boyhood club and served us well and long enough to be considered an important part of our history.
Don’t agree with the bold part! He was massive!
I understand your attitude/anger with him leaving for Madrid, and I felt like that when he left too, but as the years go by, I’ve slowly forgiven him (in my head).
C. Ronaldo is considered one of the GOaTs and he played for us!! That counts for something! Maybe not a statue, but some love surely!