Does Rooney deserve a statue?

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Hell no. feck no.

Only one of Cantona. The rest of the SAF legends are well-documented in the museum.

RooneyLegend

Yes, your argumentation is!

What has Best and Law done - that Scholes, Giggs, Schmeichel, Rooney, Ferdinand and Keane to name 5, haven't done ?

They were both amont the best players in the world - but so were those 5. They won some league titles and The European Cup - so did the rest.

The only reason they get a statue is because this happened 50 years ago - based on stats and trophies, there are many players who have had better careers.
They've won ballon d'or's. Those others did not. They're in contention for the greatest brittish players of all time, those guys aren't. Those guys weren't amongst the best players in the world. Maybe for a year. You can't compare 'world class' players to genuine superstars. We have no business considering those guys before Eric anyways. Maybe big Pete.

poleglass red

I'm not a fan of statues,where do you stop. But in line with others who have them he probably does deserve one. Id knock this tribute on the head though.

lysglimt

Scout
They've won ballon d'or's. Those others did not. They're in contention for the greatest brittish players of all time, those guys aren't. Those guys weren't amongst the best players in the world. Maybe for a year. You can't compare 'world class' players to genuine superstars. We have no business considering those guys before Eric anyways. Maybe big Pete.
Best and Law weren't up against the 2 best players in the history of football - so your Point of Ballon d'Or is hardly relevant. Schmeichel is arguably the best goalkeeper the world has ever seen - Denis Law is hardly top 20 on that list in his position.

PieCrust

I agree, he was a great player but not a legend like Law, Best, Charlton, Edwards, Robson, Cantona, Keane, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs or Ronaldo, he lost the chance to be compared with the real Greats when he tried to hold the club to ransom, claiming its ambitions didnt match his own, but as soon as he got a big pay rise he backed down. Some would argue in that case Denis Law doesnt deserve to be a Legend as he demanded a pay rise in 1964/65 ann was immediately put on the transfer list by Busby lol! Later, according to Denis, he apologized and told Busby he didnt want to leave, and Busby gave him the rise but warned him that "no player is bigger than The Club!" Rooney never learned that lesson. I include Beckham inmy list of legends despite his sad ending at United, for which I blame his missus!
I agree with that until you included Ronaldo. He choose Madrid over United for the prime of his career. He's in no way ever in consideration as a club legend for me.

redmanx

I agree with that until you included Ronaldo. He choose Madrid over United for the prime of his career. He's in no way ever in consideration as a club legend for me.
Ronaldo was a great player for us and never disrespectful to the club, manager, his colleagues or the fans. Even after he had left he never bad mouthed United and has never over celebrated a goal against us. He regards United as his home and loves the club and its supporters. When a player holds his former club in such high regard thats special.

RoyH1

No. Statues are reserved for mythical players. Rooney was great, but I wouldn't call him mythical.

patty123

Ronaldo was a great player for us and never disrespectful to the club, manager, his colleagues or the fans. Even after he had left he never bad mouthed United and has never over celebrated a goal against us.
:lol::lol::lol:
In an utterance as remarkable as any he has issued this summer, Cristiano Ronaldo declared last night that he agreed with the Fifa president Sepp Blatter's assertion that Manchester United should stop treating him like a "modern-day slave" and release him to Real Madrid.

I agree with the statements of the president, he is right," Ronaldo said and, pressed on where he would spend next season, he reiterated the point. "You know what I said, what I want and what I would like. Let's see. I agree completely with the president of Fifa.

Snuffkin

If he stays out of trouble then maybe in a few decades a statue might me appropriate

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Right. It wasn't beaten for how many decades, but suddenly someone will do in the next 5-10 years. :lol: Some fans are beyond delusional.
Rooney actually only averaged 19 goals a season, albeit for 13 seasons. In this era that’s definitely manageable. I wouldn’t be surprised if his record isn’t usurped within the next couple of decades.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I don't really feel so. It depends on how many statues we want to have.