Does Rooney deserve a statue?

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Again, my point was that if Rooney gets a statue, then C. Ronaldo would be deserving.
We have to understand that modern athletes/sports is different. One club players are as rare as @Eboue being in a good mood!
It's not about being a one club man. We didn't even have the player at his peak, he chose to leave the 2nd best team in Europe and go somewhere else.

Polar

I wouldn't. His body may have been at United but his heart was always at Everton.

If a bronze statue ever gets cast, Rooney would deep down be wishing the shirt was blue rather than red. Statues aren't just snapshots to help people remember the good times; they're also memorials to the individual and what they stood for. As much as I admire, respect and even loved him as a player, I couldn't ever support the idea of immortalising an Evertonian who still bleeds blue. That's also the reason I don't think Ronaldo should ever get anywhere near Old Trafford.

Cantona, Scholes, Giggs and Keane are all ahead of Rooney in the queue, imo. Hell, I'd probably put Evra ahead too as I think he embodies the passion of the United cause to a greater extent.

For a club of our size, we should never be building a statue for a player who considers United his second team.
Very very relevant and good point. We should never build a statue of a person who doesn’t bleed for United and put our club first unconditionally.

Obiorahking_

#1 and#2 in all time goals and assists respectively for club and #2 and #3 all time for prem with numerous trophies to go with them. No brained.

Siorac

The only frustrating thing about this thread and topic is that some people are absolutely convinced of the opposite.
It's one of the most frustrating things about our fanbase in general: Rooney is castigated for flirting with the idea of leaving while Ronaldo, who actually left, is adored.

There's also people who think Keane should be ahead of him:
he lost the chance to be compared with the real Greats when he tried to hold the club to ransom
Roy Keane in 1999:

“If the new contract is not right then I won’t sign it,” he said.

“I won’t undersell myself. I would think that this is my last big contract so it has got to be right. Even though I am United’s captain, have moved into a new house and my family are settled here, I won’t sign a deal I am not happy with.

If it isn’t sorted out I will have to look at the bigger picture and I would be prepared to go.
Having said that, ultimately I'm with those who say Old Trafford shouldn't be littered with statues. It's not a museum.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I’d be more inclined to give Cantona a statue over Giggs!
As far as Ronaldo...I’m not saying that I want him to have one, but he’s just as important to our history as Rooney
Ok, we disagree on that. Cristiano and Rooney are not even close. One won everything and is our best goalscorer of all time.
Other one had 3-4 great seasons, was our main man in that seasons and left.

Red_Aaron

Statues shouldn't be handed to guys in their thirties (unless you're a tin pot club like City or something) especially not if they're still involved in the game.

His records at this point are impressive of course but both could fall within say 5-10 years and at that point Rooney could banged up for human trafficking or worse be the Chelsea manager or something

He was a great player for us, one of the very best and his on field contribution deserves some recognition but I've no doubt there's plenty of imagery in the museum, that's enough at this stage imo

SirAF

Ageist
Sort of, but how many statues are you going to have? A class of 92 statue should go up first, if anything.

davidmichael

Cantona is the one who should have a statue as he took you to the next level along with Fergie.

Collar up after that goal (not sure who against) but he just stood there as the King he was.

Rooney, naaah.

edit: and if Ole takes you to the title he should be a contender.
You mean the chip against Sunderland in 1996 ? Where he then casually turned around acknowledging the fans around the ground then slowly raised his arms as Brian McClair hugged him ? If so that’s for me his most iconic goal and celebration, still get chills watching it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Sort of, but how many statues are you going to have? A class of 92 statue should go up first, if anything.
We could have a revolving statue stand... Every week it's a different statue, chosen randomly from the legends

Scenes when O'Shea's statue (goofy look after the chip against Arsenal) is up

Devil81

Robson, Eric Cantona, class of 92, Keane and I suppose Rooney deserves his place due to the length of service and goals.

Rio, Vidic and Bruce all deserve a notable mention as well

Lentwood

I don't think any club should rush to put up statues to be honest. It should be reserved for the most iconic players, who's legacy stands the test of time.

Bear in mind, the 'Unity Trinity' statue of Best, Law and Charlton wasn't unveiled until 2008. The fact it's obvious that Best, Law and Charlton deserve a statue 50 years later shows that was the correct decision.

For me, there are more obvious candidates to consider before Rooney. I would say Eric Cantona should be next, given how he transformed our fortunes and has consistently maintained and preserved his legacy after leaving OT. Perhaps a statue depicting his iconic celebration after that chip against Sunderland? That would be amazing!

Wilt

Sort out a statue for Cantona before talking about anyone else.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Absolutely no

Theres a number of players who deserve a statue over him and let's be honest he's only in the conversation for being our current top goal scorer a record that stood for decades, give it 5 years or so and who knows if Rooney will still be our record goal scorer...

GueRed

Statues shouldn't be handed to guys in their thirties (unless you're a tin pot club like City or something) especially not if they're still involved in the game.

His records at this point are impressive of course but both could fall within say 5-10 years and at that point Rooney could banged up for human trafficking or worse be the Chelsea manager or something

He was a great player for us, one of the very best and his on field contribution deserves some recognition but I've no doubt there's plenty of imagery in the museum, that's enough at this stage imo
I agree

definitely should be considered.

but when he's retired

SirAF

Ageist
We could have a revolving statue stand... Every week it's a different statue, chosen randomly from the legends

:lol:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
We could have a revolving statue stand... week it's a different statue, chosen randomly from the legends

After reading the bold I thought you was going to say for Eric's celebration :lol:

The Urban Goose

Possibly, but not yet, it's too soon. He needs to be older, so that e.g. when he shags a granny it's simply a marital act after Kai has had a child.

Infra-red

He probably deserves one and will probably get one at some point in the next few years. Giggs, too, I would assume.

RUCK4444

After reading the bold I thought you was going to say for Eric's celebration :lol:
This would be incredible!! A bronze statue right in front of the stadium just slowly turning.

OMG :drool:

pacifictheme

Absolutely no

Theres a number of players who deserve a statue over him and let's be honest he's only in the conversation for being our current top goal scorer a record that stood for decades, give it 5 years or so and who knows if Rooney will still be our record goal scorer...
Who's beating it in 5 years then?

iato89

he deserves one as he sacrificed his play a lot for the team and ronaldo !! Having said that, I would first put a statue of the class of 92 and cantona before and thats it.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Who's beating it in 5 years then?
No one, it was a rediculous thing to say. Rashford could do it if he keeps up the form but even then it will take around 10 years.

DoomSlayer

No one, it was a rediculous thing to say. Rashford could do it if he keeps up the form but even then it will take around 10 years.
Right. It wasn't beaten for how many decades, but suddenly someone will do in the next 5-10 years. :lol: Some fans are beyond delusional.

Devil81

I like this idea, the walk of fame.

Like the hall of fame but in front of the stadium, if a player is iconic enough he gets a plaque in front of the stadium.

That way we don't have statues everywhere.

For me personally Rooney would fall into the plaque bracket as he's achieved great things but he slightly tarnished himself on several occasions.

crossy1686

career ending
he deserves one as he sacrificed his play a lot for the team and ronaldo !! Having said that, I would first put a statue of the class of 92 and cantona before and thats it.
Surely Ji Sung Park deserves one then if that's what gets you a statue these days?

If Rooney deserves one it because he's United all time leading goalscorer, not because he played left wing sometimes. The class of 92' deserve one first, even if it's just Cantona wearing a crown that has 92' on it.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
You mean the chip against Sunderland in 1996 ? Where he then casually turned around acknowledging the fans around the ground then slowly raised his arms as Brian McClair hugged him ? If so that’s for me his most iconic goal and celebration, still get chills watching it.

Yeah that is the one. I could have swore he was wearing the green kit though until I watched the goal.

Chabon

No non-youth player has made more appearances for the club. In terms of contribution to success over a prolonged period he’s probably more deserving of a trophy than Law or maybe even Best. It’s just we remember the bullshit with him in a way we don’t with others who retired long ago (loads of United legends declined pretty badly towards the end of their time with us, for example).

That said, we’re not City. Can’t just be throwing up statues every couple of years. Maybe thirty years from now, long after the inevitable ‘Class of 92 leaning on each others’ shoulders’ and ‘Eric with his arms up’ statues.

lysglimt

Scout
Yes, your argumentation is!

What has Best and Law done - that Scholes, Giggs, Schmeichel, Rooney, Ferdinand and Keane to name 5, haven't done ?

They were both amont the best players in the world - but so were those 5. They won some league titles and The European Cup - so did the rest.

The only reason they get a statue is because this happened 50 years ago - based on stats and trophies, there are many players who have had better careers.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Don’t agree with the bold part! He was massive!
I understand your attitude/anger with him leaving for Madrid, and I felt like that when he left too, but as the years go by, I’ve slowly forgiven him (in my head).
C. Ronaldo is considered one of the GOaTs and he played for us!! That counts for something! Maybe not a statue, but some love surely!
Of course he deserves our admiration but he will never be a big part of our history. Our history is glorious, with or without him.

Achilles McCool

There's a statue at OT that actually is of a guy who played for City.
Tell me, did Law act like Rooney and want a move midway through the season?
Get serious! Denis Law and Wayne Rooney’s situations were worlds-apart. I hope you’re trying to be funny

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Why would he deserve a fecking Statue?
Why does any footballer of the modern day deserve a Statue?
A few goals ?