Does Solskjaer have the staff he needs?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Gary Walker resigned a few months ago and I'm surprised that we have not brought in a new man (or women!) for the job. Solskjaer seems very focused on improving the fitness of our players and bringing in the best man possible for this job sounds crucial. It would be surprising if the guy from the academy where the answer. On of the first things Klopp did when he came to Liverpool was to improve this area by "headhunting" the guy at Bayern (as he was very impressed by the fitness of the Bayern players).

Obviously, we have very little information about this area at the club and it might be in perfect order, but it does worry me a bit. Solskjaer recently hired a goalkeeper coach he had with him at Molde and also brought with him Mark Dempsey. Having people around you that you can trust is obviously very important. But it is also very important to be surrounded by the best people possible.

This might be the area where really Ferguson excelled. He always ensured that he were surrounded by experts, people who were better at him at specific area and trusted them. This way, he managed to keep up and adjust to changes in the game.

In my opinion, Carlos Queiroz is a good example of Fergusons ability to find people that could help keep him at the top the game. Mourinho was probably the first in a special generation of coaches from Portugal that set their mark on football the past two decades. The Instituto Superior de Educação Física in Lisbon (basically the University of Sports Science in Lisbon), where Mourinho got his education, has been frequently mentioned as a great influence on the methods and philosophy this generation of coaches. As it turns out, Carlos Queiroz was a teacher/speaker at this university in the 90s. Many would probably argue that Mourinho winning the Champions League in 2003 was the major breakthrough for the "Lisbon method/theory". That is probably true. But Ferguson must have identified it early, as he hired Queiroz (for the first time) in 2002, one year before Mourinhos mayor breakthrough with Porto. The knowledge Queiroz brought to the club was probably crucial for the success we had from 2002 to 2013.

Football is constantly changing and improving. The methods and theory of Benitez and Mourinho (and Queiroz), relating to for instance "periodisation", gave these coaches success ten years ago. It gave them an edge. They where ahead of the game. The same way Wenger was with his use of statistics in the 90s. In 2019 almost all coaches have picked up on it. The edge is gone. The best have even added a few elements or moved on. This is probably why very few managers are able to be successful for more than a decade. Ferguson was able to be successful for 30 years because he knew he had to bring in staff that could help him be part of the constant evolution.

Solskjaer is probably not a genius. And he don't have to be. He just have to realize that he is not and try identify staff in the game who can help him move the club forward. This will be more important than any signing he will make this summer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
According to this site Charlie Owen is promoted from academy as fitness coach.

ED LENG is set to leave Melbourne City to become Lead Sports Scientist at Manchester United, while fitness coach Charlie Owen has been promoted from Academy to first team.

Leng is due to join the club at the end of the season, TGG understands. He has been Head of Sports Science at Melbourne City - which is part of the City Football Group - since June 2015. Prior to that he worked at Tottenham’s Academy for six years.

He replaces Senior Sport Scientist Robin Thorpe, who left to join US company Altis at the start of April.United found themselves short on performance personnel at the end of last season when Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Gary Walker also left, for Cincinnati FC

Owen has worked with the Under-18s since the start of the 2017/18 season, initially with Kieran McKenna, who is now first team coach at United. During the international break at the end of March he was moved up to first-team duties.
https://trainingground.guru/articles/manchester-united-make-double-appointment-to-performance-team

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
If only we had someone senior at the club who could oversee the recruitment of these sort of staff. A director role, if you will. In charge of football.
I agree, but at the same time, you would hope that a manager like Solskjaer could take care of it.

Mourinho brought in a fitness coach from Sampdoria when Faria left. That imply we have two men in the staff who used to work on the players fitness. (Mourinho football obviously require a different type of fitness, but it is regardless surprising that we have not replaced them.)

TRUERED89

If only we had someone senior at the club who could oversee the recruitment of these sort of staff. A director role, if you will. In charge of football.
Yea they could call the role 'director of football' wouldn't that be something...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Paolo Gaudino and Charlie Owen are the fitness coaches.

cyril C

He has 3 goalkeeper coach for Christ sake, what more do you want? Only role missing is Technical Director who doesn't report to Ole.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He has 3 goalkeeper coach for Christ sake, what more do you want? Only role missing is Technical Director who doesn't report to Ole.
Quantity can’t replace quality.

I’m not saying that these are not good enough. That we can not know. What I am saying is that hiring the correct staff will be crucial to staying up to date. Furthermore, Solskjaer should probably look outside his circle from Molde when he builds his team.

Yesterday we hired Quinton Fortune. I have no idea if Solskjaer, who worked with him at Cardiff, was involved. I appreciate thay we bring in former players and people with a history at the club. But we can not hire former players at the expense of someone more better/qualified. Hopefully, we will be looking at a mix. Just like Ferguson always did.

cyril C

Quantity can’t replace quality.

I’m not saying that these are not good enough. That we can not know. What I am saying is that hiring the correct staff will be crucial to staying up to date. Furthermore, Solskjaer should probably look outside his circle from Molde when he builds his team.

Yesterday we hired Quinton Fortune. I have no idea if Solskjaer, who worked with him at Cardiff, was involved. I appreciate thay we bring in former players and people with a history at the club. But we can not hire former players at the expense of someone more better/qualified. Hopefully, we will be looking at a mix. Just like Ferguson always did.
The key position is given to Neil Wood, who has coached U16 U18 and U23 before. Fortune is hired as assistant to Neil. Since Fortune has completed his UEFA License he is qualified to assist. I only see him more qualified to assist Neil for U23, than Lampard to be in charge of the 1st team.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The key position is given to Neil Wood, who has coached U16 U18 and U23 before. Fortune is hired as assistant to Neil. Since Fortune has completed his UEFA License he is qualified to assist. I only see him more qualified to assist Neil for U23, than Lampard to be in charge of the 1st team.
Sbragia aside, we've seemingly done well in terms of coaching recruitment for the academy sides the past few years, hiring Kieran McKenna and Neil Wood.

Dolf

This might be the area where really Ferguson excelled. He always ensured that he were surrounded by experts, people who were better at him at specific area and trusted them.
Agree with this. LvG always did that in a way too. It's not just the manager, it's the people around the manager that can change the team the most. Clearest example is Moyes bringing in his own staff.

steve88

I think its impprtant to get people in who shares and supports sojasear and the clubs plan.Who we get in with him needs to be able to work well with him, you dont want someone in who has a different way of thinking about football working with him as they could clash but someone who he likes and respects but can tell him if he making a bad descion and who he will listen to. At the club i believe he has that with his staff.

Foxbatt

I think our coaching staff is weak in tactical nuance. I always felt that Phelan is not good at this and it was Rene that SAF always looked to during the games. I wish we had someone like Quiroz as the Assistant for Ole.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Once we get longstaff in we're sorted.
longstaff is without, the key to unlocking our potential.
PSG got Neymar and Mbappe, to propel them to CL glory.
longstaff is our version of Neymar AND Mbappe.

He'sRaldo

Good point. It is a worry since Solksjaer wasn't expecting to be Man Utd manager, so I doubt he had a shortlist ready of the best available coaches in the world at the time of his hiring.

Like others have said, I would guess such a shortlist is something our de facto DOF, Woodward, should be on top of.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
longstaff is without, the key to unlocking our potential.
PSG got Neymar and Mbappe, to propel them to CL glory.
longstaff is our version of Neymar AND Mbappe.
Whilst I'm in no way suggesting Longstaff is the saviour, it's worth noting that PSG have won precisely zero champions leagues...