Does the club just lack character?

Lee565

What was sad was that not only was it a derby match with the incentive of still getting top 4 football and killing Liverpool's quadruple hopes but we also had the incentive to play with real spirit in support of the tragedy that has happened to Ronaldo and in the end we showed no fight, spirit or togetherness at all, just absolutely pitiful.

Reactions: Fortitude

MUW4Eva

I think it's true of the playing squad. I don't think everyone doesn't care, but when your team mates aren't even trying - at some point it'd got to demotivate you.

Management selection has not helped. Moyes was a shit appointment and in hindsight Ole was a cheerleader more than a manager. Mourinho and LVG were not great choices in terms of style and continuity but they were both proud men who set high standards. You could see the players were uncomfortable with them.

We made a few managerial mistakes.

1. Not getting Mourinho straight after SAF. That squad would have respected him and continued at a high level under him.

2. Not beating Liverpool to Klopp.

3. Oles extension. Hands up - I was all for it, but that was the time for Poch.
Poch??

Just no, he is and was NEVER the answer, he isn't a top level manager, never has been, never will be.

Drz

To the question in the title I'd say Yes.
I guess it depends on how one perceives things... for example if i were running the club players running down their contracts would be playing and training with the reserves once they are in their last 6 months.

Utd7

This might just be the clubs level. Apart from purple patches under Sir Matt and SAF, this has pretty much been the level.

Mid table finishes, and a few cup runs.
This point isn’t made enough. You may very well be correct.

Tyrion

I've thought this for a while, ever since Sir Alex retired the clubs never really shown any strength in character. You can say it's the players, but it was Sir Alex's left over squad that got pummeled 3-0 by Liverpool and Man City at home back to back.

It seems like the only character, we have came from Fergie. The clubs a bit soulless without him. Liverpool, Barcelona, Madrid and co those clubs have their an in-built character or fight. We don't have that.
Clubs don't have an in built character. Clubs don't play games or win trophies. People do. These people don't. That's it.

Tyrion

This might just be the clubs level. Apart from purple patches under Sir Matt and SAF, this has pretty much been the level.

Mid table finishes, and a few cup runs.
This point isn’t made enough. You may very well be correct.
Because this point is silly. Those "purple patches" were half a century. I could just as easily argue that this Liverpool team are an awful team if you ignore all the games they've won.

United is among the most widely supported and wealthiest clubs on the planet. They should be competing with the best. That's all that matters. There's no such thing as the "clubs level" whatever that means.

ExoduS

Yes - it lacks everything needed to be winners. Pride, character, guts, courage, skill, brain, mental strength, grit, speed, wisdom. You name it, we lack it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If it is true then there is a simple fix. Hire Brendan as a Director Of Psychology Expertise. DOPE.

Last edited:

jem

The biggest problem I see is that we have a squad full of mid-table caliber players (Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Fred, McTominay, Rashford, Matic, Mata, Telles, Martial, Lingard, Lindelof, Jones, Bailly, Henderson) making top-level salaries. Given that, it's not that big a surprise to see most (not all) of these guys failing to put in the required effort, seeing as how they've been disproportionately rewarded. None of these pretenders would get a look in at City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, or Arsenal and yet I'd wager that most, if not all, of their salaries would put them in the top bracket of earners at those clubs, at least in comparison to their positional counterparts.

Slysi17

It's not character. It's a reluctance to admit things have gone wrong and do anything about it. To use my life as an example I got an accounting degree and ended up in a low paid job with no luck in getting an accounting job. Instead of burying my head in the sand I tore up those 9 years and I am back studying at University doing statistics with a new 4 year plan. Manchester United need to do a similar thing to what I did. Tear everything up and start again. Just having a new manager won't change anything.

Submarine Chief

It's not character. It's a reluctance to admit things have gone wrong and do anything about it. To use my life as an example I got an accounting degree and ended up in a low paid job with no luck in getting an accounting job. Instead of burying my head in the sand I tore up those 9 years and I am back studying at University doing statistics with a new 4 year plan. Manchester United need to do a similar thing to what I did. Tear everything up and start again. Just having a new manager won't change anything.
That’s an impressive story. What you just described is character. Character and Drive.
Congratulations. Some employer is going to be lucky to have you.

lex talionis

We e all written hundreds of posts each over the last 5-10 years over what went wrong. There’s no single answer, but for me what’s clear is that club ownership have prioritized maximizing commercial success over performance results.

It was a brain fecking dead idea to bring in Moyes. And then Van Gaal, idiotic. I was opposed to bringing in Mourinho but there was at least a shred of plausibility to the idea. Ole should have been kept only as an interim manager, never permanent. Woody wanted shiny objects he could market, like Sanchez and then Pogba. Sponsorships galore, while the core product rotted.

Slysi17

That’s an impressive story. What you just described is character. Character and Drive.
Congratulations. Some employer is going to be lucky to have you.
Thanks mate. This is what Manchester United need to show. Pity the current players don't think like that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What United lack is a plan and that's felt throughout the board. Lets start from the defence. So we have DDG whose a WC shot stopper but nothing else. Then we spent 130m on Maguire and AWB who can only play in a deep line defence. 12 months later we try a high line and to make matters worse we didn't even bother adding a DM to the team. Which means that we've got a huge gap between the defence and the goalkeeper which is made worse by DDG lack of good passing ability and a lack of a top quality DM who can shield the defence. That's only example of this mess. We spent ridiculous money on Sancho, Diallo and Pellistri and yet we have yet to sign a natural RW. We ran Rashford to the ground, we couldn't be bothered to nip Greenwood's issues before they spiralled out of control and we went on signing a 37 year old striker and an injury prone old striker.

This mirrors the chaos at board level. No one seem experienced in his job (Fletcher, Murtough etc), we switch from a manager with a completely different style to another manager with a completely different style (ex from Ole to Rangnick) and the people we seem to hire up not up for grabs (ex Ramsay). The mistakes done border to the hilarious. We give contracts to players that don't deserve it, we send managers and players to holidays when the team is in crisis and should be working on tactics etc.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s a club that’s stuck in the past. We seem to be miles behind what other clubs are doing when it comes to training, data, nutrition. Didn’t Zlatan allude to how backwards the club was?

Look how long it took the club to have a women’s team for fecks sake :lol: biggest club in the world yet can’t even form a woman's team until recently

kthanksbye

It's a lot more tangible than that, character is an abstract idea, it’s the outcome of very specific things that we’re doing wrong. A club’s character is what its employees' personalities are, we’ve done a terrible job at recruiting players with a personality, what has then compounded it is lack of accountability and consequences for being mediocre. We’re also paying undeserved money to a lot of players.

So that’s what builds the character of the club, when you have technically inferior players with weak mentalities and big egos, who are overpaid, aren’t held accountable for regular mediocrity, and face no consequences for constantly failing at their jobs, the result of this will reflect on what we call the character of the club.

Same goes for the backroom staff too.