Doing the right thing by yourself and the club?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Nevermind whether a sacking is in the offing - if you're in over your head and the club you love is suffering for it, wouldn't you resign for your own sanity and peace of mind?

I don't do the Ole-bashing thing, or partake in many threads around these parts, but I can't help but conclude that Ole is overwhelmed here and that the job is too big for him. No shame in that, but prolonging the torture and anguish, why would he do that to himself?

You can't go away to a Bruce-managed Newcastle and look like the manager who doesn't know what to do, can you? With Liverpool our next opponent, surely Ole's time to dip out is now before, what will be a severe tonking, compounds the above.

If you were in his shoes, would you try and turn it around or simply accept defeat and hope something can be salvaged from the season due to your dignified act?

TheReligion

Abusive
Nevermind whether a sacking is in the offing - if you're in over your head and the club you love is suffering for it, wouldn't you resign for your own sanity and peace of mind?

I don't do the Ole-bashing thing, or partake in many threads around these parts, but I can't help but conclude that Ole is overwhelmed here and that the job is too big for him. No shame in that, but prolonging the torture and anguish, why would he do that to himself?

You can't go away to a Bruce-managed Newcastle and look like the manager who doesn't know what to do, can you? With Liverpool our next opponent, surely Ole's time to dip out is now before, what will be a severe tonking, compounds the above.

If you were in his shoes, would you try and turn it around or simply accept defeat and hope something can be salvaged from the season due to your dignified act?
It's hard to say as you don't know what's going on behind the scenes. I think we are short on players and injury ravaged at the moment.

Shaw
AWB
Pogba
Lingard
Martial

All the above injured does change the dynamic of things but yeah I agree. The team looks flat with no energy and no real fight. I don't know why. There were glimpses right before their goal but why is it not like that from the word go? Why did we not start more aggressively on the front foot? I put that on Ole. Rashford was isolated until Mata started playing closer to him and then Greenwood came on but why not start the game like that or make the adjustment early on and give us a chance?

Feels a bit cowardly.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Why would anyone resign when they can sit tight and get paid off several million to leave:confused:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's hard to say as you don't know what's going on behind the scenes. I think we are short on players and injury ravaged at the moment.

Shaw
AWB
Pogba
Lingard
Martial

All the above injured does change the dynamic of things but yeah I agree. The team looks flat with no energy and no real fight. I don't know why. There were glimpses right before their goal but why is it not like that from the word go? Why did we not start more aggressively on the front foot? I put that on Ole. Rashford was isolated until Mata started playing closer to him and then Greenwood came on but why not start the game like that or make the adjustment early on and give us a chance?

Feels a bit cowardly.
I was going to use the word cowardly, and the manly thing being to take your lumps and be sacked or go down with the ship, but that doesn't help him or the club and just prolongs the agony. Ole has aged before our eyes and the bags under his own eyes are testament to the stress and pressure he is clearly under. Nobody wants to be seen as a failure, but bravery does come in admitting defeat, too.

We've definitely taken a hit with the amount of players out, and things could be different but for those injuries, but the tactical approach as well as reaction to opposition switches and shifts in play is just not there, which is why we can go to any team in the league, literally, and make them look good no matter whether our players, man-for-man are their superiors (a lot of the time they should be!).

The last thing Ole needs is to be humiliated by a rampaging Liverpool side who will be looking to put nails in his coffin. I don't know how many games he actually has left before being sacked, but a tonking before said sacking would just be a brutal way to go out. Ole's out there like a lamb to the slaughter and he needs to throw the towel in, I think. If he were a fighter, his corner would've pulled him.

dogwithabone

Shaw
AWB
Pogba
Lingard
Martial

Feels a bit cowardly.

Lingard !!!!!! That’s a blessing if he’s injured, come on !!!!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ole should do the honorable. Hold his hands up and admit this shit's out of his league. It's plain obvious now.

Especially as he doesnt need the job for a living, nice wage but he can live without.

RedNed77

I'm not even convinced we'd be all that much better with the missing players to be honest. Pogba and Martial have plenty of previous for disappearing when the going gets tough, two of the others are fullbacks who don't add anything going forward and the other is Lingard.

Enigma_87

You know who
Dignity and association with the club. Dissolved employment by mutual agreement, mercy killing (with a pay off), if you will.
nah it's still business. He will pocket a lot from his sacking.

He can't find himself a good job after this so he will have his golden parachute.

red thru&thru

We are just making excuses for the board. Pathetic from the top down to the bottom.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I was going to use the word cowardly, and the manly thing being to take your lumps and be sacked or go down with the ship, but that doesn't help him or the club and just prolongs the agony. Ole has aged before our eyes and the bags under his own eyes are testament to the stress and pressure he is clearly under. Nobody wants to be seen as a failure, but bravery does come in admitting defeat, too.

We've definitely taken a hit with the amount of players out, and things could be different but for those injuries, but the tactical approach as well as reaction to opposition switches and shifts in play is just not there, which is why we can go to any team in the league, literally, and make them look good no matter whether our players, man-for-man are their superiors (a lot of the time they should be!).

The last thing Ole needs is to be humiliated by a rampaging Liverpool side who will be looking to put nails in his coffin. I don't know how many games he actually has left before being sacked, but a tonking before said sacking would just be a brutal way to go out. Ole's out there like a lamb to the slaughter and he needs to throw the towel in, I think. If he were a fighter, his corner would've pulled him.
It’s not even so much the ‘amount’ of players out. As has been said over and over, ‘injuries are a part of the game’. Our main issue here is the specific players that are out. Bar Maguire, we have literally lost every bit of quality we have in the squad. We could have 5 or 6 injuries and still have been a lot more fortunate. But we’ve had much of the quality removed from a light squad for most of the season.

Jippy

Staff
Dignity and association with the club. Dissolved employment by mutual agreement, mercy killing (with a pay off), if you will.
You can't expect someone to do that. Maybe he does believe he can still turn it round. When you're under pressure you do sometimes feel like you just need a break going your way and it will all turn, after all.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Shaw
AWB
Pogba
Lingard
Martial

Feels a bit cowardly.
Maybe all the pre season high intensity cardio and conditioning has contributed to a lot of our injuries?

It’s a hard one to call re Solskjaer: Not sure what he can do with an already unbalanced and inexperienced squad then decimated by injury to the few quality and inventive players. Add to that bad results that lead to lack of confidence and self belief. That’s why we have right now.

I also feel that the club lacks purpose: what exactly is the club trying to achieve? Does anyone know?

And then we have this entitled fan base who believe in win or bust: as evidenced by lack to recognition or celebration of genuine progress ie: Mourinho winning cups and coming 2nd.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
nah it's still business. He will pocket a lot from his sacking.

He can't find himself a good job after this so he will have his golden parachute.
Ole's no angel, but I feel there's more substance to his relationship with this club than just the cynical financial angle, personally.

We're edging toward dire straits now and it could take years for the club to recover - I really do believe Ole would hate to have any hand in that as part of his legacy here.
It’s not even so much the ‘amount’ of players out. As has been said over and over, ‘injuries are a part of the game’. Our main issue here is the specific players that are out. Bar Maguire, we have literally lost every bit of quality we have in the squad. We could have 5 or 6 injuries and still have been a lot more fortunate. But we’ve had much of the quality removed from a light squad for most of the season.
But the template throughout the squad - whatever it is we're supposed to be about - is just not there, is it? The coaching, the tactics the overall look of us; we're struggling, big time.

You can't expect someone to do that. Maybe he does believe he can still turn it round. When you're under pressure you do sometimes feel like you just need a break going your way and it will all turn, after all.
Managers who feel they've taken a club as far as they can do resign though. There's no real shame in Ole saying the gig's up and walking away, and I don't think the club would just wave him taa raa with no pay off.

You may be right that he feels he can turn it around; that's where he'll get sacked, which, financially will be a win, but in terms of reputation and historical note, it could well be an anchor he carries around his neck for some years unless he goes back to Norway and builds himself up from there.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ole's no angel, but I feel there's more substance to his relationship with this club than just the cynical financial angle, personally.

We're edging toward dire straits now and it could take years for the club to recover - I really do believe Ole would hate to have any hand in that as part of his legacy here.
If you have seen his latest interview you can see that he won't back away - fixing the mess, he believes, etc..

It's easy to sell the caring angle and still pocket the compensation.

To be honest I really don't fault him for that. It's the club that appointed him and gave him that contract.

I, among others, been saying for 6 months now that it would be even harder for the club to recover from his stint and he should have been sacked at the spot at the end of last season - but that ship is gone.

Regardless of how incapable is at managing - his stature as a player would not change IMO.

Jippy

Staff
Managers who feel they've taken a club as far as they can do resign though. There's no real shame in Ole saying the gig's up and walking away, and I don't think the club would just wave him taa raa with no pay off.

You may be right that he feels he can turn it around; that's where he'll get sacked, which, financially will be a win, but in terms of reputation and historical note, it could well be an anchor he carries around his neck for some years unless he goes back to Norway and builds himself up from there.
:lol:He's only been there 10 months. I wonder if it will be a millstone round his neck tbh, given the Woodward issue and fact that way more decorated managers before him like Mourinho and LVG also got canned.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I understand where you're coming from OP and it makes sense from a fan perspective but at the end of the day his (and everyone's) ultimate loyalty is to their family so no way is he resigning and losing millions that his family could use

Melville Red

What’s the point in that? Just carry on as best you can knowing full well if things don’t improve next year he’ll be sunning himself on a beach in Norway. Oh hang on.