Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Romney's niece, who dropped the Romney from her previously hyphenated name because Trump hated her uncle, is now forced to attack her own uncle at Trump's behest.

Jericholyte2

Acquitted on the first charge of abuse of power, 52-48.

Acquitted on second charge of obstruction, 53-47.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The case that he obstructed Congress is even stronger than the case for abuse of power. Don't understand voting for one but not the other.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's funny Republicans are so patriotic but have basically returned us to the tyranny of an oppressive (foreign?) power. Freedom my ass.
Nothing about them is patriotic. They’re essentially traitors at this point.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
What a fecking farce.
The first thing that is remarkable that the senate voted to refuse direct eyewitness accounts of what Trump exactly intended when he withheld military aid to the Ukraine.
The second extraordinary thing is that many senators acquitted Trump because they argue that it’s up to the electorate to judge Trump.
I’m struggling to get my head around either points. It’s insane that the senate refused vital evidence. How can a proper judgement be made if all the available and legally obtained evidence isn’t considered? And if the senate does think that Trump acted illegally and abused his power then surely the senators are obliged to find him guilty and remove him from office no matter their political persuasion?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Romney must have really irked him :lol: Everyone expected the acquittal and that's not news.
Romney is the first ever senator to cast a vote to convict a member of his own party in impeachment proceedings.

Considering we knew what the result was going to be, that is quite rightly the headline now and it completely blows apart the “Partisan Impeachment” narrative.

Trump might be more popular in Ohio but Romney isn’t up until 2022 and has already said he won’t be casting a vote for Trump in November. Mensa overachiever Trump Jr wants him expelled from the party, which will reduce the Republican majority down to 52 and without RNC backing I think Romney will refuse to vote for anything that benefits Trump in future. Conservative causes definitely but I can’t see him being whipped for evidence/witnesses/ect in any future trial if they go to war with him.

Sanche7

Tend to agree. Dems didn't gain anything from it other than consolidate Trump supporters more firmly behind him. If any, Trump's support has probably gone a bit higher than before.
So the dems should have done nothing even after the whistle-blower report, the transcript of the call in which he clearly asks a foreign country to help his reelection campaign, revelations by Parnas, Bolton and Trump asking other countries openly to intervene in the elections?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Tend to agree. Dems didn't gain anything from it other than consolidate Trump supporters more firmly behind him. If any, Trump's support has probably gone a bit higher than before.
At the very least they’ve gained Parnas flipping and sharing all the dirt he’s acquired. It’s going to be a long slow drip of damaging material from him over the next 10 months.

The Firestarter

Romney is the first ever senator to cast a vote to convict a member of his own party in impeachment proceedings.

Considering we knew what the result was going to be, that is quite rightly the headline now and it completely blows apart the “Partisan Impeachment” narrative.

Trump might be more popular in Ohio but Romney isn’t up until 2022 and has already said he won’t be casting a vote for Trump in November. Mensa overachiever Trump Jr wants him expelled from the party, which will reduce the Republican majority down to 52 and without RNC backing I think Romney will refuse to vote for anything that benefits Trump in future. Conservative causes definitely but I can’t see him being whipped for evidence/witnesses/ect in any future trial if they go to war with him.
I think they will be a lot of barking but I doubt they will expel him. A single senator holds far too large of an influence in this configuration.

DVG7

a friend of mine thinks there is a possibility of him becoming King Trump.

DVG7

"Supreme Leader" seems to be the preferred title for dictators these days.
He’s serious. And he’s a very smart guy. I don’t know enough about it to comment on the legality or seriousness of it, but he sees a second term turning into something much, much worse.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
He’s serious. And he’s a very smart guy. I don’t know enough about it to comment on the legality or seriousness of it, but he sees a second term turning into something much, much worse.
If Trump gets a second term and holds on to the Senate then I think he is absolutely right. We’ve seen what he has got away with already, he knows what he can do now and he knows he can’t be impeached and convicted because Senate trials no longer have witnesses or evidence.

Gerrymandering and voter suppression will increase, more right wing judges, RBG will be replaced (by Giuliani probably) and Fox, Facebook and co will fall in like with whatever he demands.

Worse still, the economy is going to falter at some point and Republicans are not going to put regulations in place and increase taxes to save it. It will be social security, Medicare and education that will be cut first and it won’t be nearly enough considering the size of the deficit. It’s going to get seriously ugly and naturally the Republicans will be the ones to capitalise on the fear and chaos.

DVG7

Is re-election a foregone conclusion now, if it wasn't already?
It will be if the left insist on telling the right how wrong their ways are. Complete overhaul in tactics is surely necessary. Hilary Clinton thought the endorsement of jay z and beyonce would help her in an election, and thats probably the best idea the democrats have had in the last decade.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Trump will have a bullet in his head before that happens in the United States.
The shooting kind all love him, don't they?

If he gets reelected I don't think it's that far fetched he will do something like that. He's officially above the law now, the party has chained itself to him, since he doesn't care about institutions he has nothing to lose by trying and staying in control is the best insurance against being prosecuted.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
What the feck - I just read McConnell gifted Robert's a golden gavel with that stupid grin on his face right after the vote? Every time when you think it can't get any psychotic.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
So in the end, the final result was one we all knew was going to happen. Along the way, the public was informed by hours and hours of testimony from numerous witnesses of the President's criminality. The public opinion was strongly in favor of the Senate calling in new witnesses, which the GOP loudly and proudly blocked. Then all but one GOP senator voted to acquit him of the charges, with several publicly explaining they believed Trump to be guilty of the accusations but judging it not worthy of impeachment.

Setting aside the trolls, I don't see how some of you are drawing the conclusion that this will be a negative against Democrats. They may not beat Trump in the end but it won't be because their actions on impeachment.

InfiniteBoredom

So in the end, the final result was one we all knew was going to happen. Along the way, the public was informed by hours and hours of testimony from numerous witnesses of the President's criminality. The public opinion was strongly in favor of the Senate calling in new witnesses, which the GOP loudly and proudly blocked. Then all but one GOP senator voted to acquit him of the charges, with several publicly explaining they believed Trump to be guilty of the accusations but judging it not worthy of impeachment.

Setting aside the trolls, I don't see how some of you are drawing the conclusion that this will be a negative against Democrats. They may not beat Trump in the end but it won't be because their actions on impeachment.
The public saw and heard all that, and per the new Gallup poll, that made them like him even more. Even if we discard that, his approval has stayed steady throughout the process.

Despite protestations to the contrary, half of America couldn’t give less of a shit about the constitution, in their quest to ‘ own da libs’.

Revan

Assumptionman
Holy shit, wasn’t expecting Romney to follow his strong words with actual actions. Come on Romney, do a favor to the world and run independent!

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
So the dems should have done nothing even after the whistle-blower report, the transcript of the call in which he clearly asks a foreign country to help his reelection campaign, revelations by Parnas, Bolton and Trump asking other countries openly to intervene in the elections?
They should have used that as election propoganda. Impeachment was a effort doomed to fail as they were never getting a Senate majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.