Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Devin Nunes being the ranking member makes mockery of the whole process. The Republican Party is a lost cause. It is like trying to have a civilized conversation with a fish.
I always knew the Ukraine election fraud angle was a red herring, It's only a matter of time now before he's put in his plaice.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Is this hearing a continuation of the previous ones with questioning of more witnesses or is it something more final?

Amarsdd

Is this hearing a continuation of the previous ones with questioning of more witnesses or is it something more final?
its more of a next phase. This hearing is now with the House Judiciary Committee where the House Intelligence Committee (Adam Schiff) will present their findings from the previous hearings. Today I think is more of a debate regarding what is impeachable for the president if I'm not mistaken.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
its more of a next phase. This hearing is now with the House Judiciary Committee where the House Intelligence Committee (Adam Schiff) will present their findings from the previous hearings. Today I think is more of a debate regarding what is impeachable for the president if I'm not mistaken.
Thanks.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Is Trumps early departure from the G7 due to other leaders joking about him being reported in the US?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Always the case. They would have looked like mugs if they ducked it. In a court of law this would be a cast iron case of bribery and extortion.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
There is no chance that the Senate will vote to impeach with a 2/3 majority, is there? Especially considering the republicans outnumber the dems.

bleedred

Turtle (McConnell) has already said it will go to trial.
So, they are going to set their own rules for the trial, just like the dems did. In an ideal world, the rules would be set only based on the clauses of impeachment, but knowing the GOP, I sense they are going to somehow find a way to subpopena Biden, Clinton and Obama or anyone to distract the process.

Carolina Red

Staff
So, they are going to set their own rules for the trial, just like the dems did. In an ideal world, the rules would be set only based on the clauses of impeachment, but knowing the GOP, I sense they are going to somehow find a way to subpopena Biden, Clinton and Obama or anyone to distract the process.
Chief Justice Roberts will be the one presiding over the impeachment trial in the Senate, so that might be able to bring a little order to it despite what the GOP is attempting to do with the rules right now.

Drifter

American
Trump does not want this over his legacy. He may not get removed ,but this will hurt him badly.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

It's going to be nasty isn't it...

Bidens... Presumably planning on calling Joe and hunter

Calling pelosi?

When is this shit show likley to start... I'm guessing January?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
There is no chance that the Senate will vote to impeach with a 2/3 majority, is there? Especially considering the republicans outnumber the dems.
Of course not, as Republicans don't have half a spine between the lot of them.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I think a lot of repubs are scared shitless that Trump would go postal if he got impeached. He must have a lot of dirt on lots of them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, I think the play from Dems is that the removal trial alone will do enough damage to him so it's worth pursuing.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I think they will cynically try to draw this out as long as possible so he's getting bad press throughout the election season.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I fear all kinds of tactics like these will only hurt the Democrats themselves. Among Trump's base and large parts of Rep voters nobody cares the slightest bit how morally and legally corrupt a politician is, as long as he's in the right party. They do care about sticking it to the Democrats though, and the longer this impeachment process goes on, the larger the backlash will be.

Amarsdd

I think they will cynically try to draw this out as long as possible so he's getting bad press throughout the election season.
I think this should be the plan. Its pretty much certain the Senate won't remove him. So moving the public's (obviously non-Trumpers) perception towards the corruptness of Trump should be the goal. And having this news as the headline as long as possible should help in that.

I fear all kinds of tactics like these will only hurt the Democrats themselves. Among Trump's base and large parts of Rep voters nobody cares the slightest bit how morally and legally corrupt a politician is, as long as he's in the right party. They do care about sticking it to the Democrats though, and the longer this impeachment process goes on, the larger the backlash will be.
I don't think those were ever the target demographic and I don't understand the argument that the impeachment process hurting the Democrats more than Trump. And weirdly enough that argument seems to mainly be coming from the Republican side more than anywhere else.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
And weirdly enough that argument seems to mainly be coming from the Republican side more than anywhere else.
That tells you the Republican base is stirred up by the process. And you can bet your ass they won't hear or accept any of the evidence, so all it does is rally them behind the orange buffoon.

NWRed

AFAIK first the senate has to decide on the procedure for the vote, with only a simple majority required to vote through a proposed set of rules. So it's possible they could decide on a secret vote on impeachement, in which case there may be enough GOP senators willing to vote against Trump when the time comes.

Amarsdd

That tells you the Republican base is stirred up by the process. And you can bet your ass they won't hear or accept any of the evidence, so all it does is rally them behind the orange buffoon.
Like I said, those Trumpers are beyond any help and are not the demographic this impeachment message is targeted towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.