Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No, but they have been after Trump since he took office. They appear to be continually opposing the man not his ideology, hence since they have not been able to lay a glove on him, then whatever the impeachment plays like in the US, to the outside world it looks like another attempt to 'get Trump' and a ham-fisted one at that. The numbers across both houses do not add up and there has been no sign whatsoever that enough Republicans would vote against in the Senate to get a guilty verdict. This is not a surprise, not an unknown, not an unforeseeable outcome, it is as clear as day.

Hence, for the Democrats to proceed on this basis then this has indeed become a 'coup,' they have taken a serious constitutional process and used it very wantonly, simply just as a big stick to beat Trump about the head, to embarrass, to wound, but knowing it cannot to kill. I'm afraid that's what it looks like to all but the most ardent Democrats. The fact that Pelosi had to hold up her hand to prevent Democrats cheering at the announcement of Article 1, says it all, that shot went around the world!
He has been breaking the law since before he was elected. You can't just ignore that.

And the use of the word coup is silly so please stop it. If his impeachment resulted in a conviction the Republican VP would become president. Not a democrat.

Worst coup ever.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
OK clear on 1) sorry Sir!

2)Disagree. If it looks like a coup, the result is the same as a coup, is undertaken like a coup...then its a coup!
In order,

It doesn't
It isn't
It isn't
It isn't

If Trump is convicted his Republican VP would become president. That isn't even close to a coup as it lacks every single feature of a coup d'etat.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
OK clear on 1) sorry Sir!

2)Disagree. If it looks like a coup, the result is the same as a coup, is undertaken like a coup...then its a coup!
If you think that it looks like a coup, that the result is the same of a coup and is undertaken like a coup then quite simply you have no idea what the definition of a coup is.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If you think that it looks like a coup, that the result is the same of a coup and is undertaken like a coup then quite simply you have no idea what the definition of a coup is.
Oh he understands what a coup is alright. We all do. He just doesn't have a basic grasp of US politics.

Maticmaker

I think this other definition of 'coup' may just apply to you

coup (Köö) n. successful stroke or move - The Little Oxford Dictionary, Fourth Edition, Compiled by George Ostler,Edited by Jessie Coulson, OXFORD at the Clarendon Press 1969 page 121

In this case a completed impeachment process therefore would be a successful stroke or move (i.e. coup) that would remove Trump from the Presidency and install Pence, who would be an easier target for the Democrats (a 'bullseye' painted on his back).

Unfortunately for the Democrats the impeachment process will not end in a successful stroke or move, hence a failed coup!

NWRed

coup (Köö) n. successful stroke or move - The Little Oxford Dictionary, Fourth Edition, Compiled by George Ostler,Edited by Jessie Coulson, OXFORD at the Clarendon Press 1969 page 121

In this case a completed impeachment process therefore would be a successful stroke or move (i.e. coup) that would remove Trump from the Presidency and install Pence, who would be an easier target for the Democrats (a 'bullseye' painted on his back).

Unfortunately for the Democrats the impeachment process will not end in a successful stroke or move, hence a failed coup!
You're looking at the wrong definition, in this context coup is short for coup d'etat. Look that definition up.

Dante

Average bang

Is the 2020 election an attempt at a coup?

Maticmaker

You're looking at the wrong definition, in this context coup is short for coup d'etat. Look that definition up.
coup (Köö) n. successful stroke or move
coup d'état (Köö datah') n. (esp) violent or illegal change of government by ruling power. (F)
coup de grace (Köö de grahs) n. finishing stroke (F)

Above are the top three items listed in
- The Little Oxford Dictionary, Fourth Edition, Compiled by George Ostler,Edited by Jessie Coulson, OXFORD at the Clarendon Press 1969 page 121

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Ffs. This guy is definitely trolling. Quoting the same definition over and over again as if it's going to change anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
You know what... If trump can spin that and use it as a chance to suspend elections he will

I have actually wondered if (when) he gets acquitted in the senate does he then go to the supreme court to get the impeachment overturned ... Frame it that his impeachment was a political move to interfere in the 2020 election and run on the promice that he's going to try pelosi for treason if he wins ... Lock her up MK2

Maticmaker

No, because there has to be an election; however of course many will see it as a successful outcome, if their man/woman wins.

Impeachment decisions are taken as and when, and are not subject to a regular timetable, and they have to be instigated. As such impeachment does not feature as part of a cyclical process of Government

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You know what... If trump can spin that and use it as a chance to suspend elections he will

I have actually wondered if (when) he gets acquitted in the senate does he then go to the supreme court to get the impeachment overturned ... Frame it that his impeachment was a political move to interfere in the 2020 election and run on the promice that he's going to try pelosi for treason if he wins ... Lock her up MK2
There is absolutely zero chance he will do that. Zero.

Democrats would be the defence and the Supreme Court will never be a Kangaroo court no matter how ridiculous it gets with McConnell appointees.

Democrats would then have full discovery rights and would have every right to request Supreme Court subpoenas for all the evidence that would prove their case was legitimate.

NWRed

coup d'état (Köö datah') n. (esp) violent or illegal change of government by ruling power. (F)

- The Little Oxford Dictionary, Fourth Edition, Compiled by George Ostler,Edited by Jessie Coulson, OXFORD at the Clarendon Press 1969 page 121
Yes exactly, and the correct definition depends on the context in which the word is being used.

For example if United were to sign Messi, it' could be said "United have pulled off a real coup", in that context only the first definition applies.

In the context of the overthrow of a government, only the second definition applies.

You are using the wrong definition.

Maticmaker

Almost certainly...Trumps saying to the Democrats "come on boys/girls pitch me some more of those balls, I just love watching them leave the ground".

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Btw, fun stat: the senate repubs could acquit him with senators representing just 7% of the voting population.

They can also hold the Senate I believe with just 18% of the population.

Just in case anyone believes it's a 50/50 thing.

Maticmaker

Yes exactly, and the correct definition depends on the context in which the word is being used.

For example if United were to sign Messi, it' could be said "United have pulled off a real coup", in that context only the first definition applies.

In the context of the overthrow of a government, only the second definition applies.

You are using the wrong definition.
If the Democrats get Trump removed via the impeachment process the headline will be;

"Democrats pull off a real coup"

If Trump survives the impeachment process the headlines will be;

"Trump defies coup attempt"

You pays your money you take your choice, for me impeachment is looking like a failed coup!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If the Democrats get Trump removed via the impeachment process the headline will be;

You pays your money you take your choice, for me impeachment is looking like a failed coup!
Which as everyone has pointed out to you numerous times shows your fundamental lack of understanding. Whether that’s deliberate or because you’ve been indoctrinated by disinformation campaigns is up for debate but the fact it’s been explained to you about 20 times now and you’re still trying the same flawed argument shows you’re not interested or not capable of critical thought.

NWRed

The phrase "failed coup" only applies to the second usage of the word (Trump defies coup attempt), it has no meaning in the context of the first usage of the word, you can't use that definition in the context you want to.

I can only assume you're not a native speaker of English. It's known to be a confusing characteristic of the English language that many words can mean the same thing and one word can mean many different things. Even though they are spelled the same the word coup in the sentence "Democrats pull off a real coup" is not the same word as the word coup in "Trump defies coup attempt".

To understand this try replacing the word with synonyms.

If I said "Democrats pull off a real triumph" the sentence still works, but if I said "Trump defies triumph attempt" it no longer makes sense.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Why are you quoting a 50 year old dictionary?

Maticmaker

Which as everyone has pointed out to you numerous times shows your fundamental lack of understanding. Whether that’s deliberate or because you’ve been indoctrinated by disinformation campaigns is up for debate but the fact it’s been explained to you about 20 times now and you’re still trying the same flawed argument shows you’re not interested or not capable of critical thought.
Think you forgot to pull out your tongue and wiggle your fingers at me at the end of that!

This place is all about opinion and I have given you mine.

For me and I suspect millions of Republicans, the impeachment process is being used (attempting to anyway) as a coup to remove Trump and install Pence.
I've not been indoctrinated, I understand very well your points (but you don't to seem to understand mine), and I do not care how many times you try to convert me to your way of thinking, it won't wash.

Accept I have a different perspective to yours, thats all I ask?

Maticmaker

The phrase "failed coup" only applies to the second usage of the word (Trump defies coup attempt), it has no meaning in the context of the first usage of the word, you can't use that definition in the context you want to.

I can only assume you're not a native speaker of English. It's known to be a confusing characteristic of the English language that many words can mean the same thing and one word can mean many different things. Even though they are spelled the same the word coup in the sentence "Democrats pull off a real coup" is not the same word as the word coup in "Trump defies coup attempt".

To understand this try replacing the word with synonyms.

If I said "Democrats pull off a real triumph" the sentence still works, but if I said "Trump defies triumph attempt" it no longer makes sense.
Please read my post, I refer to 'headlines', not noted for Grammar/syntax

NWRed

Please read my post, I refer to 'headlines', not noted for Grammar/syntax
What does that have to do with anything? It in no way effects what I said.

I now think you're just taking the piss, or are extremely dim. Either way I'm done.

Maticmaker

Oh my god why are people still entertaining this idiot?
They are hanging in there...see you packed in ages since!

Anyway don't worry I'm out of your hair now, off to take presents to my grandchildren.

Happy Christmas

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yes because it was obvious from the beginning that you’re either an idiot, a wum, or both.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

Your pathetic wumming attempt at trying to wiggle out on semantics has already been extensively exposed:

But that definition is inherently apolitical and lacks the pejorative slant you seek to lend it. It just means that some surprising objective or other has nevertheless been achieved. Under this definition Ancelotti to Everton would be considered a coup; it would be a failed coup every time Colchester were defeated by Manchester United, or every time the execution of my Christmas dinners failed to live up to the ambition. Politically speaking it would refer to Trump outlasting the Republican field or AOC beating a powerful incumbent to wrest control of Queens from the Democratic establishment. A failed coup in this sense is just the expected outcome, something unworthy of note. That you choose to nevertheless note it demonstrates that it really isn't the definition you're actually using and that what you're really doing is obfuscating between meanings in order to imply Democratic malfeasance.
Adding your obvious additional framing such as "stop wasting taxpayers money" it is clear what your intentions are.
Maybe it's time you stop with your wannabe "playing the devil's advocate" act and feck off to 4chan or similar whereabouts where they appreciate boring trolling.

Oh feel free to whine about my abusive language in order to (yet again) ignore the point made above by Ekkie.

LARulz

The guy is a moron and his windmill talk was mind blowingly stupid BUT his joke about orange being his favourite colour was actually quite funny/unexpected. I don't think I've ever heard him make a joke and that seemed a bit off the cuff

Conor

Think you forgot to pull out your tongue and wiggle your fingers at me at the end of that!

This place is all about opinion and I have given you mine.

For me and I suspect millions of Republicans, the impeachment process is being used (attempting to anyway) as a coup to remove Trump and install Pence.
I've not been indoctrinated, I understand very well your points (but you don't to seem to understand mine), and I do not care how many times you try to convert me to your way of thinking, it won't wash.

Accept I have a different perspective to yours, thats all I ask?
Your opinion is idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.