Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why are Trump's defense providing us with a history lesson?? They really are clutching at straws. They haven't spent much time refuting the actual evidence. Just harping on about the process. They are an embarrassment.
It would be an embarrassing strategy under normal circumstances. To his supporters, it paints him as a victim and that is all they care about.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

:lol: These people have zero sense of irony.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
0 gop senators will vote for impeachment. This whole thing is pointless.
Would you prefer his behaviour went by without any sort of official condemnation?

sport2793

I'd prefer they impeach him for things that people care about.

Do you think they should impeach him for tweeting Fredo at Cuomo?
I find that people don't care about most things in general when it comes to politics. Doesn't mean impeachment shouldn't have happened. Anyways, more than 50% of people think he should have been impeached so that's good enough in the current times.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I'd prefer they impeach him for things that people care about.

Do you think they should impeach him for tweeting Fredo at Cuomo?
Hilarious.

Personally I think it’s a bad idea to impeach him for the serious stuff “that people care about”, because it will go exactly the same way and he will be acquitted in the senate. At least this way, if he’s out of office this year he will be facing an absolute tonne of criminal charges as a Democratic appointed AG can appoint a special counsel to investigate the corruption of the previous Administration and the likes of Trump, Barr, Pompeo, Mnunchin, Mulvaney will have none of their political instruments to obstruct justice.

If he gets re-elected this year and the Democrats hold the house then they’ve got nothing to lose and they can go for a much slower impeachment process making sure that everything goes right through the courts this time.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's shaping up to be serious with Collins and Romney suggesting that they will vote for witnesses but I reckon they will end up at best being conscience votes agreed with McConnell leaving them 51/49 short. If it's 50/50 I can't see C.J. Roberts voting for anything other than allowing witnesses. It would be absolutely unprecedented if a Supreme Court Judge voted against having anything other than a legitimate trial.

It's either that or they choose to selectively pick the witnesses that favour them, hold them in a closed, classified setting and then have a series of votes deciding what evidence can be submitted on record from each testimony which would be the most Republican thing ever.
Don’t underestimate Murkowski. She does not talk too much, but she is the most independent voter from Republican senators. If it goes to a vote, I see her voting for witnesses to be allowed (Collins and Romney are all talk, so I don’t trust them voting for witnesses). Agree that in a draw, SJ Roberts will allow the witnesses.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
You were the one who made the initial claim that Americans work too much to follow impeachment. If you want to back that up then go for it, but until then it’s bollocks. As for this ‘traction’ stuff, that’s a whole other subject, and one I made no comment about.
And I explained in more detail what I meant in another post and you still spouted your "bollocks" comment like a troll.

Go ahead and keep euphemistically reducing the point I explained in further detail if you want but the fact is, most people are not paying attention to this and the idea that people have more time to pay attention to impeachment now than in 1970 is as you would so eloquently spout "bollocks".

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Hilarious.

Personally I think it’s a bad idea to impeach him for the serious stuff “that people care about”, because it will go exactly the same way and he will be acquitted in the senate. At least this way, if he’s out of office this year he will be facing an absolute tonne of criminal charges as a Democratic appointed AG can appoint a special counsel to investigate the corruption of the previous Administration and the likes of Trump, Barr, Pompeo, Mnunchin, Mulvaney will have none of their political instruments to obstruct justice.

If he gets re-elected this year and the Democrats hold the house then they’ve got nothing to lose and they can go for a much slower impeachment process making sure that everything goes right through the courts this time.
The difference is that people can follow simple stuff. Only people who read twitter or watch msnbc all day can even tell you what the impeachment charges are.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The difference is that people can follow simple stuff. Only people who read twitter or watch msnbc all day can even tell you what the impeachment charges are.
So you think impeachment is only a process that should happen if it’s simple enough for the lowest common denominators to follow?

The Firestarter

I think there's plenty to impeach him on and they chose poorly.
None of the previous stuff was as provable beyond a doubt as this one is : phone call recording, transcript, high profile witnesses. That's why he is not even denying it.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The reason they used impeachment in this case is because they found out Trump was corruptly using Congressionally allocated funds to pressure a foreign state into announcing a sham investigation into a political opponent and impeachment was literally the only tool they had to expose it and stop him as the whistleblower had already tried every protocol available to them through the executive branch and intelligence community but found their concerns had been stonewalled.

If they didn‘t use impeachment, Trump would have continued unperturbed.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It would be an embarrassing strategy under normal circumstances. To his supporters, it paints him as a victim and that is all they care about.
Well, his lawyers are media talking heads aren't they? Populism at its finest I bet.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
And I explained in more detail what I meant in another post and you still spouted your "bollocks" comment like a troll.

Go ahead and keep euphemistically reducing the point I explained in further detail if you want but the fact is, most people are not paying attention to this and the idea that people have more time to pay attention to impeachment now than in 1970 is as you would so eloquently spout "bollocks".
I didn’t say people have more time, but they certainly have much easier ways of keeping up to date with events now than they did back then, and back then people still managed just fine.

As for whether most people are paying attention, given that only around 57% of eligible voters actually even bothered to vote in 2016, that’s hardly either a surprise or a major issue. The people who are paying attention and putting pressure on their senators are very interested, as are many primary voters, donors etc.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Sorry but this is nonsense! Pelosi was loathe to impeach the Orange Turd and they resisted impeaching him till he absolutely gave them no option. They simply had to act once the whistle-blower complaint was made.
Maybe a lot of Americans don't care a whole lot about it but that's not the issue.
Trump abused his power in a blatant way.
They had to act.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Sorry but this is nonsense! Pelosi was loathe to impeach the Orange Turd and they resisted impeaching him till he absolutely gave them no option. They simply had to act once the whistle-blower complaint was made.
Maybe a lot of Americans don't care a whole lot about it but that's not the issue.
Trump abused his power in a blatant way.
They had to act.
Even if nothing comes of it, they still have to hold him accountable. And no impeachment has ever led to conviction and removal so it's not like there is some gold standard we can go by. It will also be important for historical purposes because Trump's legacy will always have impeachment. The guy's a megalomaniac so he deserves it.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

:lol: the best lawyers

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I have absolutely no idea what their angle is at this point? Are they straight on to: yes he did it, yes it probably was wrong but who cares?
Another one of Trump's dopey lawyers apparently made the case for witnesses by suggesting "we won't know if any of these allegations are true because there are no witnesses to substitute them".

Amarsdd

I have absolutely no idea what their angle is at this point? Are they straight on to: yes he did it, yes it probably was wrong but who cares?
They don't really care about making an argument for the impeachment jury. They know Trump is not getting removed whatever they say or don't say. They simply want to confuse the public. Well, that has been the republican go-to tactic for many many years.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm recording Dershowitz for whenever I get insomnia. I bet if they filmed the room half the people are asleep.

Amarsdd

So Ken Starr was arguing that we should not impeach Trump because it has become too common to impeach a President and it hurts the country?? The Ken Starr ? :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Anything short of jack nicholson i ordered the code red on live telly will not be enough to send the don packing
Would still be great to have witnesses though, as it would make the GOP Senators squirm in the lead up to elections (as well they should)

Status
Not open for further replies.