Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
How the Democrats ever thought this was a good idea is beyond me, Trump was never gonna be found guilty, EVER and being cleared done nothing but fortify his position. Their thirst to feck Trump has totally clouded what the bigger Democratic picture should have been.
Absolutely. I don't know who they thought would be convinced by this move outside of people they've already got on side. It totally plays into the outsider/non-political elite narrative of Trump and equally shows the lack of faith in their own candidates to defeat him.

Notch the whole debacle down as (another) Trump win, and the inevitable basis of his re-election campaign.

I don't get this idea that the Dems should have done nothing because he was never going to be convicted.
It's more than that, this will fuel his entire re-election campaign. Attempting to impeach presidents rarely - if ever - works and often has the totally opposite effect.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
1. Bidens being investigated helps Bernard get the nomination.
2. Sanders defeats Trump
3. "Thank you Donald" becomes an unironic meme.
Ha, you might end up being right.

I don't understand people who said this impeachment thing was a bad thing for the Dems. Everyone I've heard who is against Trump - both Republican and Democrat are absolutely fired up right now. The only way I can see this backfiring is if the Dems don't get ahead of the news cycles. Now, perhaps it varies by state and urban vs rural environment how that sentiment translates to votes but just based on personal experience this impeachment thing and funny enough the acquittal more than anything inspired folks to get out and vote for whoever is his opponent more than before. The bigger concern is whether his following has grown and is fired up as much rather as the other side.

One thing I'd like to point out too is Pelosi tearing up the speech *might* be brilliant in that it drew a lot of attention to why she did it, what she tore up, and took attention away from the speech itself. Whoever is buying into lies about her tearing up the constitution instead of the speech was never going to be persuaded otherwise anyway.

Last edited:

GiddyUp

Fortify his position among who?
The GOP are with him, impeachment or not. He isn't more popular among the GOP than he was two months ago.
What message would it have sent to the Dems base if they just let him get on with it?
Forget all that, how about the Congress' constitutional duty?. They should have let a flagrant abuse of power slide with just tweets claiming righteous indignation?
Exactly, we heard the same shit after the release of the Mueller report (which lead to multiple convictions) and then Ukraine happened. This guy is going to fecking melt down this time around. He now has a record in public office to defend. Dems need to play dirty, come together and make real people the face of their campaign.Trump has a great chance to win re election but it's not going to be as easy as people think. The independents and new supporters he gains after a faux win turn on a fecking dime, like that woman that wanted her vote back because she found out Buttigieg was gay.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Ha, you might end up being right.

I don't understand people who said this impeachment thing was a bad thing for the Dems. Everyone I've heard who is against Trump -
Impeaching Trump was not a bad thing. How the establishment Dems handled the impeachment, bending over backwards to protect the shady (but not technically illegal) nepotism of the Bidens massively weakened their case and was a bad thing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Impeaching Trump was not a bad thing. How the establishment Dems handled the impeachment, bending over backwards to protect the shady (but not technically illegal) nepotism of the Bidens massively weakened their case and was a bad thing.
If they were ruthless they could have a hung the Bidens out to dry, established precedent around nepotism and emoluments and then gone hard after his spawn.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How is investigating the Bidens the job of the US Congress? Is there any actual evidence of anything?
It’s not. It was Congress who voted to approve the advice for the removal of the corrupt prosecutor Trump wanted Ukraine to reinstate.

bleedred

If Pelosi had stayed quiet after hearing from the whistleblower and all the other contents/witnesses were eventually leaked to the media, We would still be hearing how inept the dems were at not impeaching him. Remember, there were call from the dems to start the impeachment even with the Mueller report and Peolsi had to strongly resist it. But the Ukraine thing was the last straw. If they just let him get away with it after this, then there is no point of them holding majority in House and they would just have been mere puppets.

Now the message is clear to their base, He is corrupt, and the only way to get him out would be the polls, we have done our duty and you do yours.

For people claiming this has revitalised trumps support, Imagine what the democratic base would think of their leadership, if they had just let him walk away after this.

So, Impeaching him was the right option, irrespective of how it was going to end.

Maticmaker

From over here it seems the Democrats keep demonstrating to the US electorate that they have no idea how to bring down Trump, they keep pitching him balls he keeps knocking out of the ground. How are they going to convince non-aligned people to vote for them when they cannot seem to confirm who their own people have voted for in Iowa.
Can it get any worse? The Democrats will have to hope Trump gets so 'giddy' with his apparent success that he ignores warnings that he should take from the botched impeachment and trips himself up big time between now and the election... but they had better have a good candidate sorted, which doesn't seem to be the case just now?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Just saw sen. Collins comments. Christ.

American politics is a farce at this point. A President who lost the popular vote by three million gets to stay in office after grossly abusing his powers by trying to get a foreign nation to interfere in the coming election because sychophant senators of his party, which is supported by fewer voters than the opposition, have completely forsaken any dignity they might once have had.

A few of the republican senators seemed to imply that what he had done was wrong but he now knew not to do it again. I mean, what the hell. He explicitly said after the verdict that it was the perfect call. If anything, he’ll now be even more brazen with his attempts to solicit aid from abroad as he knows that no bridge is too far.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Let's just hope he feels untouchable now and really goes for it with his enemies. The pig can't hold in his petty revenge fantasies so he'll eventually destroy himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.