Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedred

That tells you the Republican base is stirred up by the process. And you can bet your ass they won't hear or accept any of the evidence, so all it does is rally them behind the orange buffoon.
They were stirred up in 16 as well , yet lost the popular vote. Trumps base is not going to get any bigger because of this impeachment proceedings.
Democrats have to appeal to those who sat out in protest in '16 and this is their message to them. " Look what your non-action has led to" and get them to the polls.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
As most of you have already commented, there is no chance of the senate convicting him, and I fear that this could actually end up winning him votes when he gets to tweet out “TOTAL EXONERATION!!! TREACHEROUS DEMS LIKE SHIFTY SHIFF AND HIGH CRIME NANCY OBLITERATED BY THE TRUE PATRIOTS IN THE SENATE!!!”

Many of those on the fence will then think that maybe it was all just a big hoax after all and maybe I’ll vote for Trump even if I don’t particularly like him as those dems can’t be trusted as clearly shown by this phony trial.

Fosu-Mens

As most of you have already commented, there is no chance of the senate convicting him, and I fear that this could actually end up winning him votes when he gets to tweet out “TOTAL EXONERATION!!! TREACHEROUS DEMS LIKE SHIFTY SHIFF AND HIGH CRIME NANCY OBLITERATED BY THE TRUE PATRIOTS IN THE SENATE!!!”

Many of those on the fence will then think that maybe it was all just a big hoax after all and maybe I’ll vote for Trump even if I don’t particularly like him as those dems can’t be trusted as clearly shown by this phony trial.
Why do you think the other world leaders are openly making fun of him at the Nato meeting? Because they want him to lose the election next year since they now the Senate will not impeach him unless the polls actively shows it. Instead of being sneaky bois like the Russia and China with Bots, backdoor money into GOP etc, they (Macron et al.) are openly showing their contempt for Trump so that the average American citizens might understand how the world views their president.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The only thing that matters in the next election is the votes of folks in 3 states in the middle of the country.

If democrats who voted for Obama, but stayed home for Hillary show up, Trump will lose. If they don't, Trump will win.

Trying to appease his base is utterly moronic, they will support him until the moment Fox News stops supporting him. Ie, never.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
The only thing that matters in the next election is the votes of folks in 3 states in the middle of the country.

If democrats who voted for Obama, but stayed home for Hillary show up, Trump will lose. If they don't, Trump will win.

Trying to appease his base is utterly moronic, they will support him until the moment Fox News stops supporting him. Ie, never.
If those three states your refer to include Michigan then I'd say there is no way in hell he takes it again. The margin was already tiny and since Trump s trade war Michigan lost 1 billion in trade last year alone. He clearly did nothing to support the blue collar workers striking at GM - and the red part on the west side is probably more fractured than its been before. There are also still a decent amount of republicans in Lansing who never embraced Trump. The Dems killed themselves in MI more than Trump did. Hillary took MI for granted and Bernie didn't so you saw a huge split in the dem vote which lead to either votes for Trump or people staying home. Come to think of it - he could win it again if the Dems haven't learned anything from the last time I guess.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

Yes. You have to give people something to vote for, not someone to vote against.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
AFAIK first the senate has to decide on the procedure for the vote, with only a simple majority required to vote through a proposed set of rules. So it's possible they could decide on a secret vote on impeachement, in which case there may be enough GOP senators willing to vote against Trump when the time comes.
Though it seems unlikely to me that any GOP senators would vote for a secret vote (as anybody who does is basically saying - yeah I might vote against)
I am expecting a whole raft of tricks / rules to be proposed and basically it will be pushed as far as possible to make the trial a GOP political stunt / rally
I expect something like the following to be happen - not sure which will get through but i suspect a fair few of them
1. Joe Biden and hunter Biden called to testify (and if they refuse the trial postponed whilst they very slowly... probably past the election) seek to force them through the courts
2. Witnesses and Jurors facing criminal prosecutions if they discuss the trial publicly whilst ongoing (also giving the pretext to say this has made the trial unfair) - basically stopping warren, sanders and biden talking about it ... though somehow trump will be allowed to tweet constantly
3. Further investigations as they will say the house investigations were incomplete - these will include background into ukraine corruption - so hunters job and his qualifications (quite probably expending out into china etc as well) , possibly even bringing Hillarys emails back into the mix
4. Politically motivated witch hunt - opening up a long and drawn out process of calling witness after witness to say this is all a political hit on the president
5. Dems basically allowed to call no witnesses
6. If proceedings start soon then dragging them out through the Iowa primary to keep sanders / warren stuck in DC (and biden if he is a witness)
7. Corruption allegations to be thrown at pretty much every senior democrat who was involved in the house proceedings
8. A narrative of Trump is draining the swamp and these people are trying anythinng to stop him fighting corruption ( yeah i know but it will play well with the Trump base)
9. The president of the Ukraine "volunteering" to be a trump witness (and possibly even announcing an investigation into the bidens when giving testimony)
10. Fox news basically saying its a democratic coup and next they will come for your guns and hopefully stopping short of saying the only good democrat is a dead democrat but knowing fox news they wont be far short of that

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I personally can't wait to hear character witnesses such as Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham and Kim Kardashian speak at his trial. It will be a glorious testament to what a shithole US politics have become.

Precaution

I hope Fox announce a new pay per view channel and gain exclusive rights to the show, Trump can also advertise by putting half his tweets behind a paywall "GUESS WHO I'VE CALLED TO THE WITNESS STAND?! YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT - CLICK HERE FOR MORE"

Emoluments clause be damned, lets go full hog on 'er

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Could the impeachment shut down the government????

I can't imagine it's going to be a condusive atmosphere for compromise and collaberation

The government is facing another shutdown deadline. Here's what it means for impeachment.
From CNN's Phil Mattingly

Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images

Congress has until December 20 to pass a spending resolution and avert a government shutdown.
There is cautious optimism, but still work to be done. There has been progress made, but the largest outstanding issues still stand. Everyone involved wants an agreement, but those same lawmakers and administration officials are still haggling over issues large and small. In other words, Congress Is once again running right up to the brink of a government shutdown.
This comes as the House is also proceeding with articles of impeachment against President Trump.
Remember: Once the House votes to impeach the President, it will essentially shut the Senate down until the trial is complete.
In other words, that vote likely needs to come after any spending vote for the Senate to have a chance to vote to keep the government open. That complicates things. Again, this is a traffic jam right now.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Could the impeachment shut down the government????

I can't imagine it's going to be a condusive atmosphere for compromise and collaberation
The impeachment proceeding won’t shut down the government. Trump might though.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Biden really should do this, he’s got nothing to lose. There’s absolutely no way in hell that Trump will testify so he just needs to call him out and say that if Trump and Pence testify, Joe and Hunter will testify the following day.

Absolutely zero to lose.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Biden really should do this, he’s got nothing to lose. There’s absolutely no way in hell that Trump will testify so he just needs to call him out and say that if Trump and Pence testify, Joe and Hunter will testify the following day.

Absolutely zero to lose.
It could hurt his 2020 chances which is fine by me.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Biden is a fecking idiot. His insane rant and argument the other day shows he's just the Dem version of Trump. HE is costing Bernie votes and will cost Bernie the election and ensure four more years of captain Alzheimer's

Nucks

RT History Department

Trump has lost voters. Without question. There are plenty of people who ride more towards the middle who voted Trump, who will not vote for him again. His core base is rock solid, he could decide to start WW3 and they'd say "BEST PRESIDENT EVAR". However, his base didn't win him the election. "Independent" types, who bought into his bullshit did, and they've fled enmass from camp Trump.

The only question is, what dem will THEY vote for, they might opt to stay home.

Problem is, the people the MSM are pushing on the Dem side are not going to move the needle.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

If a candidate like trump isnt enough to make them vote i doubt anything will

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
How did Trump take over a party?
Extortion and bribery. Worth remembering the GOP was subject to a successful hacking campaign too and yet nobody has a clue what is being held on them.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Ted Cruz must be one of the most despicable of them all. He was absolutely slaughtered by Trump and his base in the Republican primaries by accusing his father of having a big hand in the death of JFK amongst other things and now he is playing lip service to Trump.

To be fair the Lyin’ Ted moniker was genius by Trump along with others he came up with I just cannot see how these fecks have so little backbone or pride to roll over for Trump.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He was absolutely slaughtered by Trump and his base in the Republican primaries by accusing his father of having a big hand in the death of JFK
That's what pissed Trump off: someone having bigger hands than his.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ted Cruz must be one of the most despicable of them all. He was absolutely slaughtered by Trump and his base in the Republican primaries by accusing his father of having a big hand in the death of JFK amongst other things and now he is playing lip service to Trump.

To be fair the Lyin’ Ted moniker was genius by Trump along with others he came up with I just cannot see how these fecks have so little backbone or pride to roll over for Trump.

Its because Trump controls conservative media, who in turn have a massive influence on Republican voters in Cruz's state. Rinse and repeat for all other Republicans with no backbone to speak up. They are scared he will turn the public against them and ruin their base of support.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

You'd be hard pressed to find any Republican turn against Trump while he enjoys overwhelming majority support within their party. The ones who do like Jeff Flake typically quit and move on.

It would have been interesting had McCain stayed alive because he's not one to back down from a fight but none of these opportunistic dudes have a similar spine.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Its because Trump controls conservative media, who in turn have a massive influence on Republican voters in Cruz's state. Rinse and repeat for all other Republicans with no backbone to speak up. They are scared he will turn the public against them and ruin their base of support.
It's probably not just the media either. I doubt the party would react kindly to disloyal members either. I find it hard to imagine how this would be anything but career suicide to everyone bar a selected few household names.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat

When a shit person debate another shit person.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

What an absolute flannel

Drifter

American
Doug Collins is desperate for a gotcha moment. Talking fast and not giving them time to give an answer ,seems to be his way.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
This feels like what the Republicans imagined they would have with the Benghazi hearings, email server probes and so forth in 2016 to taint Hillary's candidacy.

Watching the GOP circle their wagons around Trump, she must be feeling envious that she didn't get half this level of solidarity from her party back then.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This feels like what the Republicans imagined they would have with the Benghazi hearings, email server probes and so forth in 2016 to taint Hillary's candidacy.

Watching the GOP circle their wagons around Trump, she must be feeling envious that she didn't get half this level of solidarity from her party back then.
The republican filled me with disgust, the democrats with disdain...

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Just about as good as it gets from Swalwell

Status
Not open for further replies.