Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Is this all a bit pointless when the next vote is his own party?
He's the classic narcissist playing his game on the world stage and I truly hope he's fecked off out of it.

The decision to remove should be independent judges. Not a bunch of his own mates FFS

LordNinio

He's the classic narcissist playing his game on the world stage and I truly hope he's fecked off out of it.

The decision to remove should be independent judges. Not a bunch of his own mates FFS
Quite agree, this system effectively gives the president the opportunity to do whatever they like as long as they have a strong representation in the Senate.

It's a farce.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Haven't really been following this so just one quick question: what's the point of impeaching him when the senate are going to acquit him? Does it just weaken him/them politically?

Revan

Assumptionman

It is the same as in any other democratic country. Only senate can remove the head of state, not a group of independent judges.

Classical Mechanic

Heard a bloke from a radio station in Iowa yesterday, an area that went to Trump after being democrat for a long time, he said they were barely reporting it on their station because the public generally perceive the whole thing to be a nothing burger.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It is a pointless waste of time. Next vote he'll win, I'm still not sure why they're bothering with all this!
Because it’s the right thing to do, regardless of the fact that the corrupt GOP will kick it out of the Senate.

The Democrats are a bunch of feckless wankers but there are countless examples of impeachment worthy offences from Trump that shouldn’t just be ignored.

It’ll also go down against his name in history forever which will be killing the giant fecking baby.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The people saying there's no point cause the Senate will acquit him don't get it. Oversight is Congress' duty. Of they don't the institution is useless.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Also it’s a humiliation for him, and you can see just how furious it makes him from his frothing rants.

Infra-red

Haven't really been following this so just one quick question: what's the point of impeaching him when the senate are going to acquit him? Does it just weaken him/them politically?
This is less about Trump and more about getting Republicans to have to bend over backwards to defend an obvious crook, which will, the Dems hope, prove politically damaging for the GOP with swing voters, next year and beyond.

Whether it works or not, remains to be seen.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Everytime I see a video of a Trump rally I like to play count the non whites, I counted two, the two females behind him.
It always reminds me of a wrestling crowd. Are there studies about his support among wrestling fans?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is less about Trump and more about getting Republicans to have to bend over backwards to defend an obvious crook, which will, the Dems hope, prove politically damaging for the GOP with swing voters, next year and beyond.

Whether it works or not, remains to be seen.
If I'm american at best I'd not vote.

If i indeed vote it's due to trump being too much to take. You tell me this spineless democrats knew how to lead a nation?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
If I'm american at best I'd not vote.

If i indeed vote it's due to trump being too much to take. You tell me this spineless democrats knew how to lead a nation?
Someone’s going to lead it, and if you were American and didn’t vote you don’t have any right to complain about who does.

DVG7

Because it’s the right thing to do, regardless of the fact that the corrupt GOP will kick it out of the Senate.

The Democrats are a bunch of feckless wankers but there are countless examples of impeachment worthy offences from Trump that shouldn’t just be ignored.

It’ll also go down against his name in history forever which will be killing the giant fecking baby.
Also it’s a humiliation for him, and you can see just how furious it makes him from his frothing rants.
You just know he'll eventually spin it to make it a good thing he was impeached

"You know, Im one of only 3 presidents to have ever been impeached, and I think I've handled better than those other guys.You could say I'm the greatest impeached president in the world I dunno, a lot of guys are saying that some really great people are saying it and I think it might be true"

fergieisold

Yeh, I suppose from a historical point of view it is of some value...if you are impeached nobody is gonna think you are innocent other than your staunch supporters.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Funny how he referred to Barron in his rally yesterday but Melania has not tweeted a thing about it? (as if she would anyway). Couldn't even refer to him as his son.

Classical Mechanic

History will be written by the winner. If Trump gets reelected then the impeachment will be seen as folly, if he loses to the Dem candidate it will be lauded as a shrewd political operation, even if it didn't significantly impact the result.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
History will be written by the winner. If Trump gets reelected then the impeachment will be seen as folly, if he loses to the Dem candidate it will be lauded as a shrewd political operation, even if it didn't significantly impact the result.
Hundreds of years from now the only thing we will remember about Trump will be that he was one of a handful who were ever impeached. It will be a stain on his name in every history book going forward.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hundreds of years from now the only thing we will remember about Trump will be that he was one of a handful who were ever impeached. It will be a stain on his name in every history book going forward.
There is also more than enough evidence on record of his brazen corruption which Republican's have stopped bothering to deny and are now attacking the process by which he is held accountable.

Once he is out of office and they no longer need to protect him, his reputation will plummet further amongst Republicans as he will be casually referred to as a rogue, albeit by those on the right as a rogue who acted unethically "for Republican causes" which is obviously nonsense as everything he has done has been to benefit Trump rather than the GOP. If the Democrats offered Trump total exoneration and a rewriting of the history books if he switched sides, he'd bite Nancy's arm off up to the the shoulder.

diarm

If this is thrown out in the senate, can Congress keep voting to impeach him for other things he's done wrong?

Even if he's never going to be kicked out of office, it would feel better to see him finish his presidency with 15-20 counts of impeachment against his name.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
If this is thrown out in the senate, can Congress keep voting to impeach him for other things he's done wrong?

Even if he's never going to be kicked out of office, it would feel better to see him finish his presidency with 15-20 counts of impeachment against his name.
It's entirely possible that once the senate cashes him a get out of jail free card he'll feel untouchable and commit even more and even worse impeachable offences.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

As things stand the Democrats have changed tact. They're no longer sending it straight to the Senate for it to be dismissed by McConnell and Graham in a sham trial and Trump "TOTALLY EXONERATED" straight away.

They're going to sit on the articles of impeachment until they have a Senate trial process confirmed that will see Senate Democrats able to call all the witnesses into the trial and relevant subpoenas served for the missing documents and testimonies that Trump has blocked.

In the mean time there are cases moving up to the Supreme Court which should see Trump's blocking of subpoenas ruled unlawful which will put the likes of McGahn, Mulvaney, Pompeo, Barr and co in legal jeopardy personally along with any staffer working within any of the institutions within the executive branch who receive request for documents. The cases have moved up through the lower courts without any resistance so even with this supreme court it is unlikely that it will be overturned as it is diametrically opposed to the separation of powers defined within the constitution.

If they win this case then it's round two of impeachment articles which will be based around the Mueller investigation with subpoenas served for the underlying evidence and redacted content along with several articles around emoluments when Trump's tax returns are reviewed.

Between now and the 2020 election, there's likely to be another 3 or 4 trials with more and more evidence going on public record and Republicans up for senate reelection under increasing pressure to put on a fair trial to get it all over with.

Drifter

American
What he said about John Dingell at his rally yesterday ,even had his supporters groaning .

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
It’s only 20 years since Clinton was impeached and nobody gives a shit about it.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

They're just gonna use it as fuel to "prove Trump being victimized". Although this was the correct thing to do, I fear and predict this will contribute to stronger republican voter turn out. Those who thought he deserved to be impeached still think that but the Trump voters are now thinking "dirty dems using their tactics. We wont let this happen again".

So yeah, it was right to do but going to have the wrong impact I think.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think this should be a conversation.
The president blatantly abused power. You have to bring a case against him whether he is impeached or not. The way it should be seen is that Congress' hands was forced. Not about a political calculation.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Is it utterly unthinkable that he may end up stabbed in the back here? Was thinking about it earlier today: a handful of Republicans can - effectively - get rid of the fecker for good. Has to be pretty tempting, you'd think, for those who were never too keen on Trump in the first place - and that's a fair few, after all.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Is it utterly unthinkable that he may end up stabbed in the back here? Was thinking about it earlier today: a handful of Republicans can - effectively - get rid of the fecker for good. Has to be pretty tempting, you'd think, for those who were never too keen on Trump in the first place - and that's a fair few, after all.
There’s more chance of United winning the league this season.

Fergies Gum

Unfortunately no, I really think he stumbled into that last joke by accident, most of them are just horrible attacks with no punchline. I really can't believe where the Dems are, he might just get another term out of this.
So you think its acceptable for Trump to abuse the power of his office for personal and political gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.