Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sooner or later he will get drag down to our level, I can already tell.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Played on a different speed compared anybody else around him. Constantly moves around, plays one-touch passes – and even managed to score! A shame that his energy and enthusiasm weren't contagious.

Mercurial

Took his goal well and that's about it. There were a few moments in the game where he paused on the ball,. Clearly waiting for a teammate to make a run, but there was.no movement ahead. Can see him getting very frustrated with that soon.
U can tell he is fostered in the same one touch academy & setup at Ajax so many greats came from, curiously so also Zlatan. He seem used to fast paced action and still maintain a good pass under immense pressure in final third. Liked what he showed. Will be a fan favourite.

Himannv

A rare bright spark in a terrible game. I'm not too hopeful of his career here though; he plays the same position as Pogba and will eventually lose his enthusiasm after spending too much time on the bench and facing many situations like he did last night. Nobody likes to lose this often and in this manner.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would like to see us playing diamond formation more often this season if we don't get Sancho but sign attacking full back like Telles. There is a gem in this guy I believe we can get the best out of him if he has Bruno, Pogba & Telles to find him and supply the ball to him in the box. So composed when finishing his chance today, he wasn't trying to hit the ball very hard but it's about placement to put the ball into the net and it wasn't the only time I've seen him scoring such goals with Ajax.

eire-red

Given Rashford's and Pogba's showings, I'd like to see Bruno maybe pushed into that inside left role and maybe van de Beek through the middle.

Currently, would our best front 6 be Matic, Fred and van de Beek in midfield, and Bruno, Martial and Greenwood as a front 3?

I don't see how Ole can continue picking Rashford and Pogba with such lacklustre performances devoid of any intensity or desire, nevermind quality.

Jericho

Sooner or later he will get drag down to our level, I can already tell.
Yep. It happened to everyone else. Seems like we need a completely clean break from the past - just sack every single person at the club and start fresh.

Crashoutcassius

A rare bright spark in a terrible game. I'm not too hopeful of his career here though; he plays the same position as Pogba and will eventually lose his enthusiasm after spending too much time on the bench and facing many situations like he did last night. Nobody likes to lose this often and in this manner.
Lose this often.... What are you on about haha

Meep

Given Rashford's and Pogba's showings, I'd like to see Bruno maybe pushed into that inside left role and maybe van de Beek through the middle.

Currently, would our best front 6 be Matic, Fred and van de Beek in midfield, and Bruno, Martial and Greenwood as a front 3?

I don't see how Ole can continue picking Rashford and Pogba with such lacklustre performances devoid of any intensity or desire, nevermind quality.
I like the idea. Until Rashford (heals) and Pogba shows up again. Given that the whole team moves the ball quicker VDBs movement will be great to test there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Him & Pogba are playing different type of role. It's like saying De Gea will make us realise that Pogba isn't as good as many think he is. :houllier:
It really isn't. VDB can play further up as a 10 but his work-rate and covering spaces in a box-to-box role are also part of his skill-set. The only thing he's not particularly used to doing appears to be a role as a traditional holding player, which Pogba hasn't been deployed at. Pogba is part of a midfield pivot and has been quite inconsistent at it. He's not been consistent enough at driving forward with the ball, working quickly in tighter areas, finding pockets and a close press - all of which VdB would excel at.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It really isn't. VDB can play further up as a 10 but his work-rate and covering spaces in a box-to-box role are also part of his skill-set. The only thing he's not particularly used to doing appears to be a role as a traditional holding player, which Pogba hasn't been deployed at. Pogba is part of a midfield pivot and has been quite inconsistent at it. He's not been consistent enough at driving forward with the ball, working quickly in tighter areas, finding pockets and a close press - all of which VdB would excel at.
2 players with different style & roles, it's fact. I don't know what you want and how you can argue about it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
2 players with different style & roles, it's fact. I don't know what you want and how you can argue about it.
They don't have different roles. I just explained that. Pogba has a different style of play - that doesn't mean VDB can't play in the same role as he does in our system.

What are you exactly saying? That VDB is just a 10 and nothing else? :lol:

He was clearly brought in to fill in either for Pogba in a pivot or for Bruno as a 10, because it's well reported he can do either role with some comfort.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They don't have different roles. I just explained that. Pogba has a different style of play - that doesn't mean VDB can't play in the same role as he does in our system.

What are you exactly saying? That VDB is just a 10 and nothing else? :lol:

He was clearly brought in to fill in either for Pogba in a pivot or for Bruno as a 10, because it's well reported he can do either role with some comfort.
That's not what I said you clearly didn't read the post from the other poster that I replied to at all. No 6, 8, 9, 10 are just number, it doesn't define as role. There are different type role in those position, not everyone plays as a no 6 will have the same role like Carrick & Makelele, the same with 8 and others. Pogba & VDB have different great strength & ability what they offer means the role they are given should be different in the team thus why I against the other poster point who said that VDB gonna make us realise that Pogba isn't as good as what people think, know what you replied first before jump in mate.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's not what I said you clearly didn't read the post from the other poster that I replied to at all. No 6, 8, 9, 10 are just number, it doesn't define as role. There are different type role in those position, not everyone plays as a no 6 will have the same role like Carrick & Makelele, the same with 8 and others. Pogba & VDB have great strength they offer means the role they are given should be different in the team thus why I against the other poster point who said that VDB gonna make us realise that Pogba isn't as good as what people think, know what you replied first before jump in mate.
You love to chat shit and then try and get passively aggressive.

Literally every player will have different strengths and weaknesses, that doesn't mean they can't be compared. Its clear posters are implying that VDB can plausibly operate the pivot role better than Pogba and make us realise Pogba isn't as good as we think.

You chatting absolute shite like "they have different roles" doesn't mean they cant be compared. They can both play further up and they can both play in the pivot. VDB can operate better in the pivot and make people realize Pogba may not be as good in that exact role - that's what people are implying.

I still can't believe you think they play different roles at all times :lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You love to chat shit and then try and get passively aggressive.

Literally every player will have different strengths and weaknesses, that doesn't mean they can't be compared. Its clear posters are implying that VDB can plausibly operate the pivot role better than Pogba and make us realise Pogba isn't as good as we think.

You chatting absolute shite like "they have different roles" doesn't mean they cant be compared. They can both play further up and they can both play in the pivot. VDB can operate better in the pivot and make people realize Pogba may not be as good in that exact role - that's what people are implying.

I still can't believe you think they play different roles at all times :lol:
I still can't believe even after I explained in my previous post you still don't get it. Not everyone are playing in pivot are playing in the same role, it defines nothing but position not the role he plays in the team. Are you telling me that when Carrick plays in pivot, he plays in the same role as Makelele in pivot?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
DVB can fill in as a CM or a more advanced midfielder, like a 10 if you will. I also think that he may have been brought in to replace Pogba, who I think will leave the club next year, as I don't see him signing a new contract, when we probably won't offer him more money to stay. I can see Fred possibly leaving, more likely the season after that as I think he'll be 29, and (hopefully) we could have Garner, Levitt, Galbraith, Mejbri Puigmal, Traore etc all pushing for midfield spots, and by then DVB would be our senior/ best midfielder, who is quite versatile, so could fit in with any system that the manager deemed fit.

lRed

I don't really know if I'm the only one who thinks that, but I see van de Beek as the Fernandes supersub.
I don't see him playing in a double pivot with Pogba or Fred or McTominay or Matic, maybe in a 433.
He'll replace Pogba or Fernandes during games in my opinion, and if it's Pogba, Fernandes will drop deep like saturday.

Let's see if he can grab some minutes against Luton tonight.

UnitedFan93

Honestly don't understand why we made this signing this summer. Obviously a good player, however there are 4/5 positions that need strengthing first. Stupid from the club.

romufc

Honestly don't understand why we made this signing this summer. Obviously a good player, however there are 4/5 positions that need strengthing first. Stupid from the club.
How is that stupid from the club? A 23 yr old at a great price. Yet everyone wanted us to sign Thiago..

UnitedFan93

Did you see how knackered Bruno and Pogba were at the end of the season ?
I did

I also saw Maguire playing every game last season because our other CB's are crap, Mata playing on the right wing, Matic being run into the ground because no one else can play his role in the team, and an over-reliance on Martial playing well upfront.

I get what you're saying, however there are bigger issues than spending 40 million on back up for Pogba/Bruno.

UnitedFan93

How is that stupid from the club? A 23 yr old at a great price. Yet everyone wanted us to sign Thiago..
He's a good player, however there are bigger issues in the squad to resolve, like at CB, LB, RW

kirk buttercup

I did

I also saw Maguire playing every game last season because our other CB's are crap, Mata playing on the right wing, Matic being run into the ground because no one else can play his role in the team, and an over-reliance on Martial playing well upfront.

I get what you're saying, however there are bigger issues than spending 40 million on back up for Pogba/Bruno.
I agree with most of that to be fair. But CBs wise you would hope one of Tuanzebe or Mengi will make a break through or Bailly stays fit . We do need a RW so hopefully we sign someone for there if not Sancho ,and it seems to me that McT and Fred are being looked at in the Matic role. I think next summer we will be looking to Actively replace him when it proves neither can do that role . Yes we probably did need Other positions filled before what Donny will do but he is quality and we need as much quality in this team when it is available and we can get it done .

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The way I see it is we could have signed VDB or we could have signed nobody because that's where we'd be if we hadn't signed him.

His position wasn't the most urgent but I'm glad we have him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I still can't believe even after I explained in my previous post you still don't get it. Not everyone are playing in pivot are playing in the same role, it defines nothing but position not the role he plays in the team. Are you telling me that when Carrick plays in pivot, he plays in the same role as Makelele in pivot?
I'm saying if VDB was placed in the exact role that Pogba is expected to play for us, then he might do better. This is what the other posters were saying was conceivable.

What bit about this do you not get? No one is comparing one system in a team vs a diff system in another team. They are comparing two midfielders in the same current squad as competition for an identical role. You're a bit lost mate, gone on a complete tangent.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm saying if VDB was placed in the exact role that Pogba is expected to play for us, then he might do better. This is what the other posters were saying was conceivable.

What bit about this do you not get? No one is comparing one system in a team vs a diff system in another team. They are comparing two midfielders in the same current squad as competition for an identical role. You're a bit lost mate, gone on a complete tangent.
No one talking about system here, you are just making assumption aka chat shit and arguing for no reason.

Pogba was given role to do his playmaker job like how Deschamps gave in France and that's not the type of role that VDB is better than Pogba. Which is back to my point that if manager give VDB a role that suits his strength then he'll be better than Pogba while if you give the playmaker role then Pogba is better than VDB.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He looks a good player but where does he fit into our best XI? Or have we just brought him in to add depth and allow more rotation?

Adamsk7

Looking forward to seeing him play tonight but if there’s two things that’d make you think you’ve made the wrong decision to play for us, it’s the performance at the weekend and an away trip to Luton :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No one talking about system here, you are just making assumption aka chat shit and arguing for no reason.

Pogba was given role to do his playmaker job like how Deschamps gave in France and that's not the type of role that VDB is better than Pogba. Which is back to my point that if manager give VDB a role that suits his strength then he'll be better than Pogba while if you give the playmaker role then Pogba is better than VDB.
Posters said that DVB can come in and maybe do a better job than Pogba.

What do you think they meant by that? In a different role? :lol: clutching at more straws than a masturbating strawman here mate.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Posters said that DVB can come in and maybe do a better job than Pogba.

What do you think they meant by that? In a different role? :lol: clutching at more straws than a masturbating strawman here mate.
The reason why Ole played Pogba in double pivot is because he wants to utilise his assets to drop deep, get the ball and find his team mate to play different range of passes, similar to how France used him. This is the asset that Pogba has better than VDB which is why I replied to the poster that it's not always the case because it depends on the role that manager gives him, playmaker or box to box, two different roles mate. You are dragging this into argument for no reason, get a better hobby ffs!!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The reason why Ole played Pogba in double pivot is because he wants to utilise his assets to drop deep, get the ball and find his team mate to play different range of passes, similar to how France used him. This is the asset that Pogba has better than VDB which is why I replied to the poster that it's not always the case because it depends on the role that manager gives him, playmaker or box to box, two different roles mate. You are dragging this into argument for no reason, get a better hobby ffs!!
Youre arguing for the sake of arguing. Pogba plays in a double pivot, posters suggested VDB can come in and show we don't need Pogba as a starter, which obviously insinuates its for same role, and you go off on tangents about Carrick v Makalele.

Just very bizzare. It's like me saying Sancho can come on and do a better job than James, before you saying "oh no but it depends on the role, sometimes Sancho can be a 10 or a LW" :lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Youre arguing for the sake of arguing. Pogba plays in a double pivot, posters suggested VDB can come in and show we don't need Pogba as a starter, which obviously insinuates its for same role, and you go off on tangents about Carrick v Makalele.

Just very bizzare. It's like me saying Sancho can come on and do a better job than James, before you saying "oh no but it depends on the role, sometimes Sancho can be a 10 or a LW" :lol:
Oh I get it now, you don't know that playmaker & box to box can play in double pivot right? And I take it that you don't know the difference either. I have no time to educate you about them mate :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Oh I get it now, you don't know that playmaker & box to box can play in double pivot right? And I take it that you don't know the difference either. I have no time to educate you about them mate :lol:
Now you're just making shit up. Jog on son

Status
Not open for further replies.