5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertie Wooster

Van de Beek is clearly a talented player. But I don't think he's the kind of central midfielder that fits into all formations.

He isn't a defensive minded CM, but isn't a #10 playmaker either. He's most suited to an attack minded number 8 / 10 role, but not for ball playing creativity, more for linking up in attacks in and around the box and making off the ball runs into the box to score.

He's in the same mould as Frank Lampard imo. However Chelsea always had a top quality holding midfielder or two, and that allowed Lampard to play as a goalscoring #10. But with us already having Fernandes in the #10 role, and no top quality DM, it's a gamble to try and fit VdB in the same midfield as Fernandes and yet, play him instead of him, and he's a very different, less creative, #10.

VdB is most suited to Pogba's #8 type role, as a foil to a more effective DM and a ball playing #10, but he doesn't offer as much physicality or defensive work as Pogba so that leaves us even more vulnerable defensively when he starts there.

I can understand Ole's dilemma trying to fit him into our system without affecting results as, until we solve our defensive issues, we need to be playing two central midfielders who can contribute defensively to provide extra help - and that's why Ole is going for two of Fred, McTominay, Pogba or Matic in those roles and not DvB.

It's a shame though as, with one top quality defensive midfielder in front of a solid CB pairing, we could start two of Pogba, DvB and Fernandes each game in more attacking central midfield roles and get the best out of Donny in that role.

Reactions: Sultan

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We could get more out of him by signing DeJong. Jus saying
de Jong would be a dream signing but I have major doubts about the boards appetite to make the kind of moves that would enable us kick on as fast as possible. I’ve said it in a few threads it’s really starting to feel like the only reason they keep signing up players to new deals, loans and free transfers is to wait it out until the youth that they’ve been splurging on start breaking through. I think if that’s what they are at it’s quite a risky approach that could see us fall further behind in the short to medium term but on the other hand I’m all for giving youth a chance....

croadyman

He deserves an opportunity whilst Pogba is going to be out for a few weeks however expect him to play Fred & McTominay even more which will have a massive knock on effect later in the season. Teams will start to shut down Bruno and when that happens we will have absolutely zero creativity in the midfield area.

Mickson

Almost certainly a good footballer. I don't really see the point with him at United though, and he was very expensive too. I would love to hear what Ole really thinks. He doesn't fit in the way we want to play. For me, I would rather promote Hannibal Mejbri and play him. I just hope that Danny won't hinder Hannibal from coming up.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Big game for Donny tonight playing as a #10. Strong side with many first team players, but not with the brutal intensity and pressure of playing Liverpool. Now is as good a time as any to make an impression and not have the game pass him by. I'm hoping he finds the net!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Meh. More interested in seeing him alongside Fernandes than instead of Fernandes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He'll probably be invisible. It's not the way to use him, at all.

First of all, he doesn't suit us and our style at all. He is a system based player and we use much more of an individualistic style of play (nothing wrong with that, it's just not his type).

Since we have him, he isn't suited to our #10 so we need to stop playing him there. #10 for us is basically the most important position for us, has to get involved and be risk taker and do things on their own/make things happen. Van de Beek is a support player who is far more suited to playing as one of the deeper 2, next to a DM who can help progress the ball up the pitch, control the ball, play through pressure and occasionally provide attacking support while providing defensive support.

If we keep playing him as a 10, he'll continue to do nothing. His only hope at finding a role at United is basically to rotate with Fred and McTominay, not replacing Bruno.

Man Utd 1:0 West Ham

evil_geko

A great player whose confidence is shot because of being underplayed and played out of his position when he is. He should be playing with Bruno, not taking his role. Ole just doesn't know how to use him pretty much. He should just move on to another club where he will be appreciated.

The United

A great player whose confidence is shot because of being underplayed and played out of his position when he is. He should be playing with Bruno, not taking his role. Ole just doesn't know how to use him pretty much. He should just move on to another club where he will be appreciated.
What is his position again?

lost7

That's such a pathetic excuse.

Lassitude42

Let's play Donny excuse bingo;

- He's being played out of position
- He actually played brilliantly but you're too stupid to notice
- He's being ignored
- They don't play this way at Ajax

Ultimately you have to step up and impose yourself on the game. These are vanilla 6/10 performances not worthy of a start.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Looks a very ordinary player who offers very little. Can’t see what his speciality/skill set is.

Would like to see him play deeper to see if he’s better suited there, but at this point you can absolutely see why Ole doesn’t play him.

mu4c_20le

More like Donny van de Meek right now. Needs to wise up.

I do think he should be playing deeper in the Fred/Pogba role, he looks clueless in the hole.

Jackal981

He’s the Dutch Cleverley. Wasting 40 mil instead of adding more and buying Grealish

Based Adnan

He's clearly a good player but I feel the team doesn't trust him enough. So many times he's got his arms in front of him asking for the ball between the lines and it just goes sideways. Kagawa used to do the same. We're not playing to his strengths just yet.

el3mel

He definitely isn't a number 10 considering he's not adventurous enough with the ball but let's keep playing him there whenever we decided to give him a chance. It'll work one day, right ? right ?

Mainoldo

He’s not going to make it here under this set up. Looked like a lost puppy.

Some of his touches though. Silky.

Kag

You can’t play like that and expect to play regularly at Manchester United. He needs to get a hold of himself and start getting more involved because that just isn’t acceptable.

acnumber9

It took Bruno one touch to show him up. He gets the ball in a forward position and his first thought isn’t to drive at the defence or look for a killer pass, it’s to look for somebody else to pass responsibility to.

Mindhunter

He is a nothing player. Wants to play touch and move football and needs speedier teammates running around him to be effective. Lacks the initiative to make something happen on his own.

Doesn't carry the ball, doesn't have quick feet, doesn't shoot well from distance, doesn't have a good passing range, doesn't have vision, doesn't have the confidence to shoot when is the the furthest forward with the ball at his feet.

I am afraid he is another "system" player like Kagawa and will be gone in a few more windows.

NinjaFletch

He had a nice moment just before he was hooked where he span someone and made a run into the box and was harshly called offside.

Other than that, it was another impressive highlight reel of receiving the ball under no pressure and turning back to play a safe pass. His lack of vision and range of passing is a real worry, and I'm not at all convinced it's just a lack of confidence or match rhythm.

Lassitude42

Not sure what playing him deeper will achieve. He's a luxury player who drifts in and mostly out of games. Playing him in a midfield two just feels like an open door for the opposition. He had the freedom to pretty much attack as he wanted today as a no.10 but didn't bring anything. I can't see him contributing much defensively.

Real Name

I'm not trying to make an excuse for him but he's just not a number 10. Saying that he definitely should have imposed himself more.

Jacob

What is his preferred position? No attacking threat and not good defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.