5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph1386

I’m not buying the whole ‘he needs time to adapt’ explanation. I think his confidence got shot after he was frozen out of the team, and that’s on the manager.

I think he had a good initial start to his career here and was offering us something different, and then the more Ole made it clear that he wasn’t going to be used often, the more his performances and confidence suffered.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’m not buying the whole ‘he needs time to adapt’ explanation. I think his confidence got shot after he was frozen out of the team, and that’s on the manager.

I think he had a good initial start to his career here and was offering us something different, and then the more Ole made it clear that he wasn’t going to be used often, the more his performances and confidence suffered.
Bingo. Scored on his first start, played excellently against RBL at home - then subbed whenever he started to look a bit more tired, constantly subbed whenever the team needed Fernandes to come in and save their asses.

He's been made the scapegoat. I really did think he'd get more chances in CM, but seems as though Ole's caution just won't allow it.

Ralph1386

Bingo. Scored on his first start, played excellently against RBL at home - then subbed whenever he started to look a bit more tired, constantly subbed whenever the team needed Fernandes to come in and save their asses.

He's been made the scapegoat. I really did think he'd get more chances in CM, but seems as though Ole's caution just won't allow it.
I’m surprised nobody else talks about it here. How do you expect a player to perform well when you’ve treated him like he’s surplus to requirements and showed him that he’ll never get ahead of others no matter what he does?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’m surprised nobody else talks about it here. How do you expect a player to perform well when you’ve treated him like he’s surplus to requirements and showed him that he’ll never get ahead of others no matter what he does?
People don't care. They'd rather just say he's not as good as Fernandes and laugh because they said he'd never be good in the first place.

His thread is one of the strangest I've ever seen. How can people expect him to play at his best when he plays 1 game every month, usually with a completely mixed up team?

It's the same with Telles.

lex talionis

I was going to say Bingo, but Adam beat me to it.

Donny did start very well for us, but Ole fukked his head by freezing him out of the squad. Now we have a wrecked Bruno, Pogba of course is out with injury, and we’re relying on Fred for creativity. Brilliant management.

Gandalf

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at all these comments about Ole messing with his head and ruining his confidence by daring not to play him every week. I hope the guy makes it here but if he is such a lightweight that not being guaranteed first team football sends him into a slump then he frankly has no business being here.

DVB is a developing player, not signed to be a starter as both Pogba and Bruno are ahead of him and more experienced so he needs to compete and show that he is worth a spot in the team. To date Donny has been fairly ineffective when he plays, he is clearly uncomfortable played in an attacking position and struggles to get into the game but on the flip side he is clearly not a CDM as his tackling is atrocious. No doubt he would have been given a run of games with Pogba sidelined but sadly he has picked up an injury of his own which has cost him the chance.

I still hope he comes good but to blame his inadequacies on his fragile ego being damaged by not being handed a starting spot on a silver platter does him no favors. If he is going to succeed here then he needs to pull his socks up and work harder, get in the team and make a case for staying there. Greenwood did so last season with far fewer minutes to begin with, he impacted the games he came into and forced his way into the first team picture and DVB now has to do the same.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
DVB is a developing player, not signed to be a starter as both Pogba and Bruno are ahead of him and more experienced so he needs to compete and show that he is worth a spot in the team.
You do know that Donny has played more CL matches than Bruno and only a few less EL matches? Also he has played around 250 senior matches. Sure he can still grow as a player, but it's not like he's an inexperienced youngster.
So i'm not sure why people think that. Also Bruno only has 1 year more experience in the PL, the rest were at the same or lower level as Ajax.

Bruno is a better player ofcourse, but not that much more experienced as DVB, despite being a bit older.

For me it's the same as Klaassen at Everton(only a bit higher level). They are the type of player who are dependent on their teammates to excel. So when his teammates ignore him(or his runs), it's not gonna work out.
If Ole wanted a midfielder to play in our current tactics, DVB would be the wrong player to buy. Why buy a player who's already on the level to get atleast a few starts in a certain tactical style, but then play him in a totally different style that doesn't suit him. Just buy a different player then. It really makes no sense, Ole's ruining his career and wasted 40 million in the process.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at all these comments about Ole messing with his head and ruining his confidence by daring not to play him every week. I hope the guy makes it here but if he is such a lightweight that not being guaranteed first team football sends him into a slump then he frankly has no business being here.

DVB is a developing player, not signed to be a starter as both Pogba and Bruno are ahead of him and more experienced so he needs to compete and show that he is worth a spot in the team. To date Donny has been fairly ineffective when he plays, he is clearly uncomfortable played in an attacking position and struggles to get into the game but on the flip side he is clearly not a CDM as his tackling is atrocious. No doubt he would have been given a run of games with Pogba sidelined but sadly he has picked up an injury of his own which has cost him the chance.

I still hope he comes good but to blame his inadequacies on his fragile ego being damaged by not being handed a starting spot on a silver platter does him no favors. If he is going to succeed here then he needs to pull his socks up and work harder, get in the team and make a case for staying there. Greenwood did so last season with far fewer minutes to begin with, he impacted the games he came into and forced his way into the first team picture and DVB now has to do the same.
agreed. If he doesn’t have the mental fortitude and attitude to come out the other side - then he will never make it at a top club.

he needs to get a grip of himself and show everyone how much he wants it.

OGS is not a manager who would throw players under the bus, and he’s not making a point to anyone.

simply put, the lad has not been good enough on the training ground or when selected.

we all want him to succeed, and the timing of his injury couldn’t have been worse because he would have had chances over the past few weeks.

lex talionis

The suggestion that Donny is a developing player is absurd. No, he’s not the next prime Zidane and he never will be, but he’s a footballer who has plenty of experience and didn’t come to Old Trafford only to be passed over in favor of Fred, who has absolutely zero attacking acumen.

Had he shitted his shorts when first brought on the claim that we needed to be patient would have made sense. But Donny did in fact start brightly for us. It was not world class stuff, but it miles better than Fred or James. But here we are now, stuck with a player Ole doesn’t fancy, which is well within Ole’s right, but this episode underscores the mismanagement of the club, the expenditure of 35m on a player (plus his wages) the manager sees no value in having.

Ralph1386

I still hope he comes good but to blame his inadequacies on his fragile ego being damaged by not being handed a starting spot on a silver platter does him no favors. If he is going to succeed here then he needs to pull his socks up and work harder,
Not everybody’s temperament is the same, a good manager knows which players need an arm around their shoulder and which ones can be managed differently. Look at how Rashford and Martial’s form improved when Ole came in after Mourinho and instilled confidence in them. He instilled the exact opposite in VDB by freezing him out despite his good performances at the beginning of his tenure here.

It’s very easy to put the entire blame on a player just to deflect the manager from any criticism. Ole has gotten many things right since his arrival , but in my opinion (and many others here as well) his management of VDB has been wrong.

There is absolutely no evidence from his current or former managers that suggests that VDB does not work hard enough in training. I stand by my opinion: the whole ‘he needs time to adapt’ theory is nonsense. His confidence has been shot by a manager who has not instilled any trust in him.

acnumber9

There’s a very simple path to the first team for him, don’t be shit when you play.

Not everybody’s temperament is the same, a good manager knows which players need an arm around their shoulder and which ones can be managed differently. Look at how Rashford and Martial’s form improved when Ole came in after Mourinho and instilled confidence in them. He instilled the exact opposite in VDB by freezing him out despite his good performances at the beginning of his tenure here.

It’s very easy to put the entire blame on a player just to deflect the manager from any criticism. Ole has gotten many things right since his arrival , but in my opinion (and many others here as well) his management of VDB has been wrong.

There is absolutely no evidence from his current or former managers that suggests that VDB does not work hard enough in training. I stand by my opinion: the whole ‘he needs time to adapt’ theory is nonsense. His confidence has been shot by a manager who has not instilled any trust in him.
it does take time to adapt. The PL is a faster pace. Furthermore, it’s just the fact it’s a different team, different culture and different country.

I doubt anyone is saying he doesn’t work hard enough - but that doesn’t mean he’s working well enough.

What do you think The manager could have done differently?

we 6 midfielders for 3 positions. He was never going to immediately start. Look at someone like McT who doesn’t start every match - but you can see he often makes an impact when he plays.

you can’t be suggesting that he should have been given a free run in the team irrespective of form, training performance and how he actually plays on the pitch?

He'sRaldo

And later we'll wonder why players come to Old Trafford and immediately turn to shite, only to shine once they leave.

We can keep blaming the players till kingdom come, let's see where it gets us.

Gandalf

I just can't agree. There is no evidence his confidence has been shot, that is just pure speculation on the part of those who seem determined to stan for Donny. The empirical evidence we do have is 26 appearances so far this season in which he has so far shown he is not good enough to get in the team, there has been no decline over the course of the season as he was poor from the start. I hope he finds his feet and pushes on but so far he looks like a waste of money.

Matriac

There’s a difference between being rotated and being frozen out.
He has featured in 26 games this season. That is far from being frozen out.
Truth is he hasn't shown much when he's gotten the chance.
Would have loved for him to play some while Pogba is out, but he's been unlucky with his own injury.

lex talionis

How many of those “appearances” have been late substitutions? Quite a few. How many of his starts have been in the PL? Very few. How many of his appearances have been with Fernandes and Pogba from the start of the match. I doubt it would be even one, but maybe one.

When you’re brought on in the 86th minute you’re really thrown into shit. Sometimes it’s to close out a winning position, so nothing much is expected excepted to run the clock out. Sometimes it’s to snatch a late winner, but by then hope is shattered and there not much you can do.

Ole as manager has every right to freeze out anyone of the squad. It’s only a suggestion, but we might as well sell Donny in the summer to make room for a player Ole feels can contribute to the squad. Seriously, we have not been so amazing this season, so full of incredible talent, that Donny just can’t get a game, a full 90, in.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
How many of those “appearances” have been late substitutions? Quite a few. How many of his starts have been in the PL? Very few. How many of his appearances have been with Fernandes and Pogba from the start of the match. I doubt it would be even one, but maybe one.

When you’re brought on in the 86th minute you’re really thrown into shit. Sometimes it’s to close out a winning position, so nothing much is expected excepted to run the clock out. Sometimes it’s to snatch a late winner, but by then hope is shattered and there not much you can do.

Ole as manager has every right to freeze out anyone of the squad. It’s only a suggestion, but we might as well sell Donny in the summer to make room for a player Ole feels can contribute to the squad. Seriously, we have not been so amazing this season, so full of incredible talent, that Donny just can’t get a game, a full 90, in.
He's played 1053 minutes in 26 matches, which means an average of 40 minutes and 30 seconds per game(Only 24 minutes in the PL). That's really low. Ole might have reasons for it, but i really doesn't allow DVB to show himself or even get "match fit".

Matriac

He's played 1053 minutes in 26 matches, which means an average of 40 minutes and 30 seconds per game(Only 24 minutes in the PL). That's really low. Ole might have reasons for it, but i really doesn't allow DVB to show himself or even get "match fit".

That also means a goal involvement per 526 minutes.

He has featured in all the cup matches, where you as a player get the opportunity to prove yourself if you are a squad player, to get a chance to feature more in the league. He hasn't taken his chances. I still have hope for him, but I also understand why he hasn't played more.

A midfield of VdB, Pogba and Bruno? Really? This isn't FIFA.
Most of his cupgames are 60-90min, and he hasn't produced much there so far.

acnumber9

Yet players like Rashford, Martial, Fred, Lindelof, De gea etc can be as shit as they like but still get chance after chance.

Makes sense.
Well, only one of those plays in the same position. And he’s been worse than any of them.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
it does take time to adapt. The PL is a faster pace. Furthermore, it’s just the fact it’s a different team, different culture and different country.

I doubt anyone is saying he doesn’t work hard enough - but that doesn’t mean he’s working well enough.

What do you think The manager could have done differently?

we 6 midfielders for 3 positions. He was never going to immediately start. Look at someone like McT who doesn’t start every match - but you can see he often makes an impact when he plays.

you can’t be suggesting that he should have been given a free run in the team irrespective of form, training performance and how he actually plays on the pitch?
You can't compare McT with VDB. McT is one of the chosen who's played in 23 of our 27 league games and I'm betting all the Cup games unless injured. The only time McT doesn't play is when he's being rested for an important game the next match. Of course McT is always going to be motivated.

Ralph1386

the posts above show that he’s far from been frozen out. He’s currently injured, and as i said earlier would have no doubt played games over the past few weeks.
Nothing shows anything, it’s all a matter of opinion and agenda. I can have 26 appearances and be brought in for only several minutes in most of these appearances or play with the B team, while another player can start only 15 times but play 90 minutes with the strong team. If he wasn’t frozen out we wouldn’t even be having this debate.

Renegade

It was criminal not using him more over the xmas period. Now there’s no chance of being integrated in the team at this stage.
Expect Bruno to play every game from this point now. League,cups and Europe.

Chairman Steve

His non-use is fecking bizzare. The most bizarre transfer and following events since Zoran Tosic.

Robindinho

Well, only one of those plays in the same position. And he’s been worse than any of them.
That wasn’t the point. You said if he wasn’t shit when he played, he’d stay in the team...

That only applies to Donny and not to all players?

Unfair to judge him when he only gets thrown a start to rest Bruno and then it’s back on the bench for a month... That’s nothing like being rotated - he’s never been given a chance.

croadyman

We may as well have just kept that £35m in the transfer kitty for the summer with how little he has been used

acnumber9

That wasn’t the point. You said if he wasn’t shit when he played, he’d stay in the team...

That only applies to Donny and not to all players?

Unfair to judge him when he only gets thrown a start to rest Bruno and then it’s back on the bench for a month... That’s nothing like being rotated - he’s never been given a chance.
It applies more to players who have better options in their position. Rashford’s competition has been considerably worse than him all season. Bailly is injured half the time etc. The players you listed have all had better performances than Van De Beek this season, no competition or have far greater pedigree. In some cases they have all three. Lindelof being shit and still playing is because he doesn’t have players of the quality of Pogba and Bruno in his position.

POF

If he was fit right now he'd be getting plenty of minutes. The timing of his injury has been disastrous, like his United career so far.

I'm sure Ole would have loved to play him more but he's had limited game time because he's not been playing well enough and United needed to play better players in order to win games.

lex talionis

A midfield of VdB, Pogba and Bruno? Really? This isn't FIFA.
Most of his cupgames are 60-90min, and he hasn't produced much there so far.
Which suggests the answer is probably never. It's actually not unheard of for top midfielders to play together.

It's highly likely that Fred and McTominay, neither of whom can be understood as holding midfielders, have played with both Bruno and Pogba. I actually like the job Fred and McTominay have done for us, despite neither being an especially gifted passer of the ball, but the point is that Donny not been allowed a proper run of games in the PL.

It's perfectly reasonable for those who view Donny as a useless footballer to praise Ole for not using him. But it is not reasonable to argue that Donny is a decent footballer (no one is arguing that he's a Zidane or even Gullit) and that Ole has managed him properly. When Van Der Sar sold him to us he he asked the club that we take care of him. We cannot say that we have.

Yet we are second in the PL, probably exceeding the expectations of most here, and we're very likely to finish in the top four -- although to be fair the wheels are flying out of Ole's hands as every matchday comes and goes with another dour performance and dropped points. The manager has to have the final word and I'll back Ole for taking a hard line on players he feels are useless to him but from Donny's point of view there really is no reason not to start looking around at other clubs who could use him.

Nothing shows anything, it’s all a matter of opinion and agenda. I can have 26 appearances and be brought in for only several minutes in most of these appearances or play with the B team, while another player can start only 15 times but play 90 minutes with the strong team. If he wasn’t frozen out we wouldn’t even be having this debate.
frozen out. Don’t be so bloody dramatic you drama Queen.

Romero has been frozen out. DVDB has been given chances, and at every turn has failed to impress.

he can still run it around, and will be given more chances. But currently he’s done the square root of sweet FA to be given an extended run.

edit. Having an opinion, or perspective isint a fecking agenda. Agenda is overused on the Caf, and very rarely used correctly.

Andersonson

Well, he isnt good enough. Atleast yet.

Playing him could damage our point tally. If Ole was playing him more and he was dogshite, wouldnt that be on the manger too? He cant really do nothing right ,Ole? It has to be his fault ....

He'sRaldo

Well, he isnt good enough. Atleast yet.

Playing him could damage our point tally. If Ole was playing him more and he was dogshite, wouldnt that be on the manger too? He cant really do nothing right ,Ole? It has to be his fault ....
Well in that case no more complaining about Ole not being backed.

If he can't even manage to integrate a CL level squad player into the team, then we have no right to be moaning about lack of depth the way we did last season.

R'hllor

Mentioning number of games as a proof of someone being frozen out or not :lol:, imagine if he played 90 games for us x 1min per game, people would claim he is on the same level as starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.