Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There were many opportunities to integrate van de Beek. Ole never took it seriously. Personally I think it was a mistake, but surely now is too late to experiment.
As I said, playing him in a 10 or even in a box to box role today is hardly an experiment. This is why in my opinion, Ole is wrong to cast him out again.
That would be all well and good if he got a fair amount of experience playing in the PL and with the first team. He's hardly going to magically perform next season without anything to build from this season.
We just need to wait and see next season for that.

Jev

This feels like the final nail in the coffin to me. If he's not starting a game like this after nearly a season to bed in, it's hard to see the point in keeping him around. I don't think he's earned more playing time than he's gotten but if Ole still trusted him to come good, surely you'd play him tonight?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
As I said, playing him in a 10 or even in a box to box role today is hardly an experiment. This is why in my opinion, Ole is wrong to cast him out again.
Exactly. He could help us with pressing today, especially with full batteries not even remotely depleted this season.

Apart from obvious lack of match rhythm he got stamina and he can definitely exchange passing in reasonable tempo. Ole's definitely not telling us whole story, wish these so called journos could simply ask him real questions today.

Rustyspider13

I still won't write him off. Ole said in the last press conference that the thing that is most lacking in this season is the work on the training pitch. Players and coaches hardly have time to prepare different setups and are just going from one game to another focusing mainly on the next opposition. VdB being such a different player to all of of our midfield options means he can't slot in without some tactical work involved.

The question then is why bring him in at all. I think it was done because Pogba was about to leave and we made a judgment call of getting another midfielder in advance. Combine that with the ease of the deal due to VdS involvement resulted in VdB being here.

I just hope Ole has some kind of plan regarding him next season and if not, the club lets him go without much fuss about "getting some value back" or some other bs. Lad deserves to play.

Dve

absolute rubbish.

this is a CL semi finalist and an international player, not a 17 year old from the academy.

If we can’t hold a 2-0 lead against Grenada then how do we go about calling ourselves a big team? we should be steam rollering them.
I often see, and hear, this CL semi finalist thing as an argument for him to start. Dele Alli was a CL finalist, would you start him?

The bottom line is that Donny hasn´t performed very well when he´s gotten the chance. Ole cannot start him just because he´s handsome.

Anyway, I expect him to get 45 minutes today, so that could be another chance for him to prove he deserves more playing time.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

We just need to wait and see next season for that.
Bruno had some rest though, he didn't play every game for NT.

I consider this as right decision because we want Pogba and Bruno at their peak in the coming games, I think they are getting there rather than tired. Van de Beek is finished on serious level this season imo.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I often see, and hear, this CL semi finalist thing as an argument for him to start. Dele Alli was a CL finalist, would you start him?

The bottom line is that Donny hasn´t performed very well when he´s gotten the chance. Ole cannot start him just because he´s handsome.

Anyway, I expect him to get 45 minutes today, so that could be another chance for him to prove he deserves more playing time.
Ajax bought Charisteas after he won the euros with Greece. That's the first thing I think of when people say Donny is a CL semifinalist.

At least Charisteas was their star player.

RedIan

Decent half, looked brighter and more confident. Some nice touches and good movement. looked better.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He did everything he could to make an impression. Threw himself into a few tackles, a few nice touches, looked lively. Doing what he can.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Very pleased with what he showed tonight. Much braver, wanted the ball, happy to try and make things happen himself and had it not been for one or two bad decisions or lack of understanding from his teammates he might have had a couple of assists or goals to his name. Keep that attitude up Donny, definitely got talent with the ball at his feet.

DON’T PANIC ™

Credit where credit is due, played as well as I’ve seen him in a Utd shirt. Made some decent runs too, but not picked out. Slick passing.

MrBrightside1989

Looked very sharp tonight. He could easily have started instead of Bruno or Matic. He deserves more football but with Bruno's impact it's unlikely just now.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
On current form he should get a chance ahead of Fred. Really liked this display. He would do well in midfield alongside McTominay IMO.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I’m not sure I understand all the crying over Donny. He’s a young lad adapting to a new style of play, in a new league and a new country. He will come good in time. Also Bruno is a key player, he isn’t going to be benched just to give Donny minutes.

Similarly we signed Alex Telles, he hasn’t played much cos Shawberto is in form. We signed Dan James and he hasn’t played much this season because Mason is a better player on the right - it’s just normal dynamics of a squad sport.
He did well tonight, shame that shot didn’t just creep inside the post.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He needs movement around him. Mata, Greenwood, James provided that.

Unfortunately, Pogba or Bruno doesn't give that.

OverratedOpinion

I think it is so obvious that he is a very good player who is best in a position that we have a better player. Weird signing but not his fault, I can not imagine he was high on Ole's list during the summer. Weird all around and we will lose money on him because his stock has dropped needlessly. If you need a player in that position then you can probably get an absolute bargain in the summer due to our mistake.

kundalini

Some good moments. Had a shot just wide from near the edge of the area, almost played Amad through. Looked to play forwards.

OmarUnited4ever

Yes, finally applied himself today, run with the ball, passed forward, tackled strongly, made runs into the box, shot from outside the box..

Not a super 45 performance but it's a start of him playing in a way that suits the players around him..

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
That was a positive half to build on. I hope Ole gives him a start over Bruno at some stage this season. Put some pressure on Donny to be creative and see how he reacts. We all know he can do the neat and tidy stuff but can he kick it up a gear in a league game. Why not.

HailtotheKing

Almost scored. Should've had an assist from Greenwood's header. Almost put Amad away. Not bad. Noone's arguing that he should replace Bruno. But he should be getting more minutes. And he should be getting starts in midfield. He's not just a no 10.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The most enjoyable phase of the game was when he was brought on. His touch, technique and movement is superb.

OverratedOpinion

Almost scored. Should've had an assist from Greenwood's header. Almost put Amad away. Not bad. Noone's arguing that he should replace Bruno. But he should be getting more minutes. And he should be getting starts in midfield. He's not just a no 10.
This is true.

Bruno is obviously exhausted and I think Ole has given VDB 20 minutes here and there and then gotten a bit worried if it did not go perfectly and brought Bruno back. Any player needs a few games to play well consistently. It is probably because Ole know that if he loses one and draws one then is is instantly "in over his head" and a terrible manager.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not bad indeed. He won't play much as thankfully Bruno's steering clear from injuries.

If he's okay with being squad player for the time being, at least Ole got some options.

Status
Not open for further replies.