5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade

This performance will be forgotten by most when his back to 5min substitute appearances.

Swedish_Plumber

Something to hold onto for next season with that performance. He’s a likeable guy so really wanting him to do well in his second season.

AgentSmith

Wasn’t anything ground breaking but looked more confident and decisive in his decision making and demanding of the ball. Much more comfortable in that CM role as well.

Always gonna be tough to adapt to a new league in the context of Covid, hopefully he really kicks on next season.

-Supreme-

I like his link-up and always making himself available for a pass, has improved defensively as well.

Interestingly he's been partnered with Matic in the last two outings, think Ole will need bring in a DM next season if he was to be given more chances on the pitch.

Thought he actually had a really good first half. More adventurous than usual (not hard, admittedly), some nice bits of interplay, decent defensive positioning.

Fell off big time in the second half though. Bullied off the ball, sloppy passes. Went back into his shell and became a lot more passive.

SoCross

Arguably his best game for us. Always willing to show for the ball, much improved!

Eternitiy

Wow, people are easily impressed. His passing was erratic and often poorly weighted. Mata was more influential, I thought, despite the Spaniard barely being able to run at this point in his career.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wow, people are easily impressed. His passing was erratic and often poorly weighted. Mata was more influential, I thought, despite the Spaniard barely being able to run at this point in his career.
erratic :lol: were you watching the right match? he messed up maybe 1 pass into james.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I agree. He was better than a lot of his showings because he actually tried to make things happen, but there were still sloppy passes and decisions and he disappeared a bit in the second half.

Still think he's worth sticking with, but he needs to do more.

kundalini

Fouled for the penalty. His passing was fine. 2 successful tackles out of 3 attempts, 1 interception. Decent performance.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I maybe still one of the few that dont think he is a deep player. His passing is not that great.

On the other side, he is always trying to make quick passes before making a run further up the pitch.

He consistently makes runs and finds him self in deadly space in the box. He is able to make a run earlier than someone like Mata has planned as i saw multiple times today even from deep.

Even the penalty is the area where he scored his debut goal and you see all his best performances for Ajax.

I just don't think Ole knows how to use him (because he maybe isnt his player) which is a shame as I was looking forward to the shadow striker version of VDB making runs off of Bruno Fernandes or Pogba's through balls.

MetoTTT

Wow - are you taking the pi55 ?

He was ok but a long way off the standard we need to challenge for titles and trophies every season - 6 out of 10 and one of his better performances
Really? I can remember some games we've been outplayed by Wolves in midfield. Today wasn't the case and VdB was good.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
His best game for us by a mile. Granted Wolves were awful and there was nothing on the game, but still promising.

jesperjaap

Best performance obviously so far. But one good game against a team playing poorly and suddenly he is our midfield answer for next season, wow attitudes change like the wind. It isnt the first time he has played there for us either.
Hope he gets a bit of confidence from this and can kick on, I dont see it personally

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
That was a good game by him? I just don't see it. Ali Dia came to mind during the game. Maybe slightly over the top, but come on..

Raven

Good performance today, hopefully he can kick on next season because he's a good player.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He was very good first half he was very meh in the second, seems to have a fitness issue when it comes to finishing games. Maybe a consequence of such little football though

Foxbatt

I maybe still one of the few that dont think he is a deep player. His passing is not that great.

On the other side, he is always trying to make quick passes before making a run further up the pitch.

He consistently makes runs and finds him self in deadly space in the box. He is able to make a run earlier than someone like Mata has planned as i saw multiple times today even from deep.

Even the penalty is the area where he scored his debut goal and you see all his best performances for Ajax.

I just don't think Ole knows how to use him (because he maybe isnt his player) which is a shame as I was looking forward to the shadow striker version of VDB making runs off of Bruno Fernandes or Pogba's through balls.
Spot on. He moves into space early and expect the ball to be passed but our players don't do that. They take extra touch and the move is gone.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I thought he started well before starting to fade by the 60mins mark. Last 10 mins he was basically tripping around.

Was surprised he wasn't subbed off actually.

adkb

Look, I know people are liking his game today, but it sucks to be him. He is second fiddle to perhaps the best player in the world currently and there is just no way he is jumping up. Playing few minutes here and there or playing with a B team is not going to get the best of him. He will need to play with the A team for at least a few games to get the rythm. However that is not going to happen and he will have to accept that.

Pep did a great job rotating, but I do not suppose Ole will start that kind of a roller coaster here. I am just happy for once he isn't getting slagged off!

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Wasn’t anything ground breaking but looked more confident and decisive in his decision making and demanding of the ball. Much more comfortable in that CM role as well.

Always gonna be tough to adapt to a new league in the context of Covid, hopefully he really kicks on next season.
Pretty much this. Honestly i dont have much hope for him, but Fred genuinely looked like he was Bebe level and he came good so there is hope for Donny as well.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's decent all round midfielder, but I still think we have added another second grade player to midfield area alongside Fred and McTominay.

He is really good in tight spaces, so comfortable on the ball he finds passing options easily. I'd say if we can get a good defensive minded midfielder, van de Beek will be fighting with Fred for the second spot and I fancy his chances.

His awareness is miles ahead of McTominay, and he likes to play it short which is very useful to beat pressing if executed correctly.

el3mel

This guy looks like he definitely can be useful when used right.

Think it won't be a bad idea to give him one more season but for God sake, we should start playing him in midfield alongside one of Scott and Fred, instead of being a number 10 and stuff.

Coxy

Look, I know people are liking his game today, but it sucks to be him. He is second fiddle to perhaps the best player in the world currently and there is just no way he is jumping up. Playing few minutes here and there or playing with a B team is not going to get the best of him. He will need to play with the A team for at least a few games to get the rythm. However that is not going to happen and he will have to accept that.

Pep did a great job rotating, but I do not suppose Ole will start that kind of a roller coaster here. I am just happy for once he isn't getting slagged off!
Really?

city-puma

We played 4-2-4 with the front four almost on the same line. They offer work rate, VDB did great! But the second half, our youngsters got tired and wolf were more physical and aggressive. We were pinned to our half.

AshRK

May be premature but feel he can be used like modric. Buy a top cdm and pair him with vdb, feel he will do really well.

Devil may care

Good performance, him and Matic operated as a proper 6 and 8 combo, with Donny moving really well off the ball and today looking for more attacking passes than he usually does.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Spot on. He moves into space early and expect the ball to be passed but our players don't do that. They take extra touch and the move is gone.
I'm just hoping that Ole is using him as a CM to almost get him used to being a versatile player and to feel the tempo of the game before he gives him the shadow striker role after a pre-season; as Ole has used him a bit versatile.

I'd love to see VDB's runs - they consistently have beaten someone and hit gets through following press with a quick pass back or forth, or simply a flick or a turn to skip the opposition. The deeper that is - it can look like he does nothing; the further up the pitch - this can completely trick an opposition.

It just doesn't happen in the deadly area here at United because he doesnt play there with the creative players able to pick him out,

simmee

Thought he was really good today. His turns took out their whole midfield a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.