5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lex talionis

In this case the problem is not DVB. He was playing the same way in his last PL game. He passes and moves into a new space. He doesn't get the return pass. Our players take an extra touch, look up, take another extra touch, slow down and the moment is gone.
Spot fekking on. There’s a lot to be said in favor of taking responsibility for beating the defender or taking the shot, but far too many opportunities are wasted by refusing to make or make oneself available for the pass. Seems central to how modern football is supposed to be played, but we haven’t gotten the memo yet.

TheRedHearted

We don‘t play 433 mate.
You're right- we don't but we honestly should.

Rashford------Cavani-----Sancho
------Pogba-------------------Bruno-----
-------------Rice or Kante type------
While I agree that rotation is much needed to keep Bruno fresh and optimal I dont think VdB is our answer for that. He doesnt have the creativity to fill Bruno's shoes. While I do think there's still hope he can turn to be a good player I dont think hell become a great one, and at this point I think we would be better at selling him and trying with someone new who can be great. We have McTominay and Fred filling the "kind of good but not good enough" department.
but then surely McTominay and or Fred-one of them is to be moved on before VDB? Fred's first season was arguably worse, although I love what he's become and to me McTominay has been constantly improving, but I don't really have the numbers for that. Right now I would hold all three of them and yes if we land a great or great potential, then and only then move one of them on (if VDB fulfills his potential and Fred stays Fred than I think it could possibly be McTominay that should move on, although he's my second favorite midfielder that we have. I do think if he continues to grow he could be something absolutely special, again why I wouldn't move him on. I would rather make a huge signing or like you said sign a potential, and still then we would have six midfielders for six spots in a 4-3-3. There's of course the case of Pogba

Appearances137
Goals
Assists29

not bad numbers at all, considering how poor our team was for a majority of his time here. Surely we need to get the best out of him and Bruno, and that holding midfielder is key

SAFMUTD

but then surely McTominay and or Fred-one of them is to be moved on before VDB? Fred's first season was arguably worse, although I love what he's become and to me McTominay has been constantly improving, but I don't really have the numbers for that. Right now I would hold all three of them and yes if we land a great or great potential, then and only then move one of them on (if VDB fulfills his potential and Fred stays Fred than I think it could possibly be McTominay that should move on, although he's my second favorite midfielder that we have. I do think if he continues to grow he could be something absolutely special, again why I wouldn't move him on. I would rather make a huge signing or like you said sign a potential, and still then we would have six midfielders for six spots in a 4-3-3. There's of course the case of Pogba

Appearances137
Goals
Assists29

not bad numbers at all, considering how poor our team was for a majority of his time here. Surely we need to get the best out of him and Bruno, and that holding midfielder is key
I don't think Ole would fancy selling Fred or McTominay before VdB, the first two are nailed starters for him and VdB barely plays.

If Pogba leaves we will need much more than VdB, as you say for all the heat he gets his numbers are not bad and he's able to produce magical moments that turn games around.

I'm not against keeping VdB I just think it would be better to sell him and bring in someone new.

marktan

Would Ajax take him back for £20m? 50% off deal?

Take that and put it towards Buendia who is a vastly superior player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Reportedly out of the Euros now. Not been a great year for him, this.

Was our chance for him to do half-decent and put himself back in the shop window too...

Zoo

He’s injured. Really bad luck for him, nothing going right for him on the pitch right now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Was our chance for him to do half-decent and put himself back in the shop window too...
Tbh, I don’t want him in the ‘shop window’ at all. In fact, if he can handle himself defensively, I’m keen to see more of him in the first XI next season.

Anyone who has read any of my posts will know I’m desperate for the ability to pass and move to be brought into our midfield. Seeing as we are also insistent on signing Sancho, it seems, who doesn’t compliment the players around him in the starting XI as it is, I’m even more hopeful of a successful Donny integration. Donny and Sancho will likely be the only two players on the same wavelength.

kthanksbye

Spot fekking on. There’s a lot to be said in favor of taking responsibility for beating the defender or taking the shot, but far too many opportunities are wasted by refusing to make or make oneself available for the pass. Seems central to how modern football is supposed to be played, but we haven’t gotten the memo yet.
Yes, our off the ball movement is very poor, I don't know if it's down to players not trusting their teammates to find them or players not trusting their own first touch and ball control to go into tight spaces and receive the ball, even if this happens the ball does not progress a lot of times as then the player in a tight spot requires someone to move into another tight space, receive control and move the ball. We're very poor at playing what you're calling "modern football".

If I have to guess I'd say it's a coaching issue. Look at our coaching staff and you'll know. 3 of them have the job because they've been players at the club, the other two I don't know.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Tbh, I don’t want him in the ‘shop window’ at all. In fact, if he can handle himself defensively, I’m keen to see more of him in the first XI next season.

Anyone who has read any of my posts will know I’m desperate for the ability to pass and move to be brought into our midfield. Seeing as we are also insistent on signing Sancho, it seems, who doesn’t compliment the players around him in the starting XI as it is, I’m even more hopeful of a successful Donny integration. Donny and Sancho will likely be the only two players on the same wavelength.
I get the point you're raising, I just don't see it with the guy. If he's a link-up guy to play cute football with Sancho, it's in a midfield 3 which just isn't happening with big bad Bruno first name on the team sheet for eternity. The midfield two is Solskjaer's preferred formation and it's one the guy doesn't fit. He's a central midfielder who doesn't tackle or intercept well, sit deep and screen a back four, nor does he make creative insightful passes between the lines. He's a busy bee who wants to give and go. Mostly go. That isn't just in his volatile season here, that's going back to his entire career at Ajax.

You're being too mean on Sancho too -- the XI are not pretty enough for compliments anyway.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

What the hell? How did he even manage to get inured? Did he fall off the bench?

That's a shame, I hoped he can use this stage to show that he is a decent footballer.

hubbuh

This really sucks. Would have been a great opportunity for him to get some confidence back. Let's hope he comes back determined to prove himself.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Any word on what the injury actually is?

He was injured for us when he'd of likely got some starts and now he's injured when he may of got some minutes for his national team, seems he's only available when he's not needed :lol:

tomaldinho1

What the hell? How did he even manage to get inured? Did he fall off the bench?

That's a shame, I hoped he can use this stage to show that he is a decent footballer.
I’d imagine it’s actually easier to get injured when you haven’t been playing and aren’t match fit.

I think he’s played 2 full PL games all year. Strange how life works out, he would have gone to Real and got loads of game time given their injuries but ended up benchwarming for us in the Europa.

Oranges038

He was injured for us when he'd of likely got some starts and now he's injured when he may of got some minutes for his national team, seems he's only available when he's not needed :lol:
He could have and he might have.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Gutted for him. What a miserable season he's had.

No matter what you think of his footballing ability/qualities, he's way better than what he's been permitted to show this season.

His is genuinely one the worst first seasons with us that I can remember.

kps88

BBC saying groin injury.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
20/21 has not been kind to the lad. Shame too as I was looking forward to seeing him in action.

Sting

Seemingly you lot think he’s had unfair treatment at United. He looked way out of his depth every time he was given a chance. If anything he strikes me as someone who is quite happy to warm the bench as long as he can cash in his paycheck every week.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’m a fan of Ole but I do wonder how this guy will be under a different manager at our club - a manager that knows how to use him.

So I’m always thinking how he maybe is if Ole fails next season.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Doubt he would have made an appearance in the Euros anyway. He wasnt even on the bench for the last 2 friendlies.

diarm

If this lad didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all.

dinostar77

Thats a shame i wanted him to have a good euros and break into Utd first team as a regular starter. He has alot to offer.

Smores

Unfortunate that, the ideal situation was he had a really good euros and came back rejuvenated. It would have been the only stretch of games he's had in the last year.

TempusFugit

So apparently he had been injured for a while and was playing and training using painkillers.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He has no match rhythm from a good year. Needs to play every game on pre-season and build somekind of a form... or just sell him and admit mistake.

SmallCaine

Another player suffering from more injuries thanks to our coaches and medical team's handling of his injuries. I get they have to make decisions that are best for the club but this is just pathetic given he wasn't even getting any real minutes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

From that perspective, it's probably better for United that he's staying home and will get a proper rest. Last 1.5 season has been hard on the players, and those going to the Euros now again will have little time to recover. Even if Van de Beek hasn't been getting a lot of match time, he has been in training and everything else all through the season, and will benefit from a rest and mental rest as much as everyone else.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Shame. Was looking forward to him being player of the tournament, which probably would have happened.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I’d imagine it’s actually easier to get injured when you haven’t been playing and aren’t match fit.

I think he’s played 2 full PL games all year. Strange how life works out, he would have gone to Real and got loads of game time given their injuries but ended up benchwarming for us in the Europa.
The players have several trainings, practice matches and fitness drills every single week on top of the match schedule. The two hours dedicated to gametime has little to no bearing on a players ability to escape injury if they have not played games frequently.

Donny has just been extremely unlucky, whatever his injury is.

tomaldinho1

The players have several trainings, practice matches and fitness drills every single week on top of the match schedule. The two hours dedicated to gametime has little to no bearing on a players ability to escape injury if they have not played games frequently.

Donny has just been extremely unlucky, whatever his injury is.
I get that but then why do so many footballers talk about being ‘match fit’? Big difference between doing all the fitness and training work and then going into a game. Not saying that’s what VdB did but I think it’s rational to think it’s a factor.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I get that but then why do so many footballers talk about being ‘match fit’? Big difference between doing all the fitness and training work and then going into a game. Not saying that’s what VdB did but I think it’s rational to think it’s a factor.
Playing matches against real opponents with something on the line is different from training or friendlies. Match fit isn't just a reference to physical well being.

Status
Not open for further replies.