Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There is something that excites me about him playing just behind a striker partnership. His movement and his quick one twos can turn that in to a deadly front 3 only when required and leave it as a wide front 2 when he has to concentrate on more of a midfielders work.

I feel like I can really see why Ole bought him but the team has only started to move towards this front 2 formation of either a 442 diamond, a 4222, or a 352 & VDB possibly needs to wait until that happens.

tjb

It's bigger than that. In midfield, we may be getting him used to playing in the Premier League. It's different, especially in the double pivot, than the Eridivisie. Whereas with an attacker, you can risk it, in the premier league, not being up to speed is deadly.

SATA

Amazing Donny already has 24 pages in his thread considering he hasn’t play much yet. What have you lot been talking about?

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Good player but dont get the signing, when you think of what we spent on him and a few other bit part players/prospects we could have spent all that money (50-60 million) on a proper first team player, whether it had been a central defender or defensive midfielder.
First of all, just because he doesn't cost 80 million doesn't mean he's not a player who can't reach the top. He's a player with the right profile - mentality combined with skill, also brings something else. He's very well rounded which means that some people won't rate him same way they didn't Herrera or other players who are jack of all trades. If Ole things we are short of that kind of player I believe him.

And yes I think he was probably an alternative to Jack Grealish who would cost much less had he been relegated with Villa.

Second of all, other positions are being worked on regardless, the money will be allocated for these players but it's the players which are not available, it doesn't make sense to overpay, we rarely do that and everytime we do that it bounces back and teams ask more money from us..

Valencia Shin Crosses

The hand wringing over why we bought him will disappear when we start running into injuries in our attack/midfield and he's able to slot right in. A fantastic, versatile player who's best qualities (movement, positioning, quick decisions, one touch passing) are ones that fit really well into a team without needing to shine as a star player.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Good player but dont get the signing, when you think of what we spent on him and a few other bit part players/prospects we could have spent all that money (50-60 million) on a proper first team player, whether it had been a central defender or defensive midfielder.
It’s only 35m. We need to improve the squad depth after all. Beside, the issue of not signing top centre back wasn’t because money but because we have too many and need to sell first before adding another one.

CG1010

I suspect he has been bought in advance to replace Pogba in the team as the latter leaves next season. Kind of like how Berba was bought by Fergie to replace Ronaldo (didn't work out that well though).

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Im almost certain Ole doesn't want him and he was a Woodward panic signing.

Feel bad for him he's a quality player and is wasted here. It Wouldn't surprise me of he's loaned back to ajax in January.

Meep

I hope he start against Leipzig otherwise I agree with the Woodward theory..

luke511

Pogba's replaced him as the offensive CM substitute, very poor planning from Solskjaer. We were all screaming for Pogba to play as a 10 ahead of Lingard/Pereira last season and he decides to do it after spending 35 mil on a cam back up.

Oo0AahCantona

Can anyone whose watched him play a fair bit tell me if he can play in a midfield 2, perhaps with fred? or is he just a CAM in which case why did we buy him?

Marcus

He is a victim of squad rotation. I agree that Cavani needed a run-out.

podurban2

Im almost certain Ole doesn't want him and he was a Woodward panic signing.

Feel bad for him he's a quality player and is wasted here. It Wouldn't surprise me of he's loaned back to ajax in January.
What a drama queen you are, jeez.

He should have been a sub, but he's new in the team and he will get his chances. Hopefully start against Leipzig.

mu4c_20le

Ole said he's a top footballer and clearly rates him, just needs to bed him in.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ole wanted Sancho n Grealish. They delivered Donny. He's not even starting when Pogba isn't and is being overlooked for Mata, Mctomminay n Fred.

Don't need any more convincing. He's a good player but clearly not somebody Ole wanted.

cyberman

Ole wanted Sancho n Grealish. They delivered Donny. He's not even starting when Pogba isn't and is being overlooked for Mata, Mctomminay n Fred.

Don't need any more convincing. He's a good player but clearly not somebody Ole wanted.
But doesn't dropping Pogba show he wants a structure right now that doesn't suit he or Donny?
People say Cavani hasnt played much but Dutch football stopped in March and never resumed. The Chelsea player from Ajax is in the same boat, he has hardly featured as well.

tomaldinho1

What I don't understand is Ole likes to tinker but he seems very reluctant to use VdB in games he would clearly suit well. Chelsea came to get a draw and so having Fred and McT is pretty pointless - they excel when teams push forward and we need their pressing ability and cover for the defence. VdB is everything we want in these types of game, he can receive the ball in minimal space and in advanced positions - he's a nightmare to mark to deep sitting teams because Kante he pulls people out of position. I just don't get what he was gong for tonight, it was like he was trying to keep some players happy rather than try everything for the win.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
But doesn't dropping Pogba show he wants a structure right now that doesn't suit he or Donny?
People say Cavani hasnt played much but Dutch football stopped in March and never resumed. The Chelsea player from Ajax is in the same boat, he has hardly featured as well.
He's been injured. Not the same thing at all.

HowYouDoin

One thing I dont get. This guy was hyped as the next Iniesta. Whenever I read about him the general consensus was that hes a central midfielder in the mold of Iniesta yet somehow for us he is only an AM and we wont even try to play him in central midfield? Dont get it.

With Bruno and Pogba at AM he wont get too many chances there but why not try him at CM at least? Not against Chelsea but at some point?
I bet he cant be worse than Pogba there.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That player Ziyech was injured though. Not the same thing

Red00012

Pogba's replaced him as the offensive CM substitute, very poor planning from Solskjaer. We were all screaming for Pogba to play as a 10 ahead of Lingard/Pereira last season and he decides to do it after spending 35 mil on a cam back up.
This

georgipep

One thing I dont get. This guy was hyped as the next Iniesta. Whenever I read about him the general consensus was that hes a central midfielder in the mold of Iniesta yet somehow for us he is only an AM and we wont even try to play him in central midfield? Dont get it.

With Bruno and Pogba at AM he wont get too many chances there but why not try him at CM at least? Not against Chelsea but at some point?
Have you watched Iniesta? He was definitely an AM and not a central midfielder

Ace of Spades

Ffs, he will get his chance. In big games, Fred and McT are just very important and he is not going to get ahead of Bruno, juat need to be patient. He will get his chance.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Who exactly was saying VDB was like Iniesta?

HowYouDoin

Have you watched Iniesta? He was definitely an AM and not a central midfielder
Iniesta was more than fine at CM. I also think VDB would be too.
Thats his position where he should play for us.
If he has the work rate the energy and the defensive awareness to play that position and by all indications he does then he should play over McTominay as he offers better passing and just more offensive output.
He wont get too many games at AM for us, especially now that we are playing Pogba exclusively as an AM as we should.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Clear as day he wasn’t an Ole signing. Ajax needed money and VDS was proactive in getting Woodie to sign him.

he’s a good player, just Ole prob proving a point currently

Rolaholic

Not sure what this lad has to do to get regular playing time, starting to wonder if Ole even wanted him in the first place

HowYouDoin

No one. No one on the cafe expected him to play over Bruno.
Thats not true. When VDB was just getting noticed by people the rep on him was that he could be the next Iniesta.
Im not sure how he became exclusively an AM though.

georgipep

He was both rolled in one.
Well, he played the AM role with Busquets and Xavi behind him.

Iniesta was more than fine at CM. I also think VDB would be too.
Thats his position where he should play for us.
If he has the work rate the energy and the defensive awareness to play that position and by all indications he does then he should play over McTominay as he offers better passing and just more offensive output.
He wont get too many games at AM for us, especially now that we are playing Pogba exclusively as an AM as we should.
I wouldn't take McT out of the starting XI. Or Fred. For the moment Pogba, Donny and Matić are rotation/sub options.

Ludens the Red

He did look pissed and I don’t blame him. Left his boyhood club where he was winning trophies in an exciting football team. He’s come here watched us play well in one half out of five league games. Sees horrific performances from the likes of Pogba, James etc and still can’t see more than a few mins action.

I know he was Bruno’s back up but the fact Ole has varied formations and had people out of position in numerous games yet has found no time for VDB is quite odd.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think I remember him saying that he would even play LW for this club.

He would be better than James at that so why not

spiriticon

Try him at RW or as a deep lying mid and see if he can find himself a place in the team.

Irrational.

He has exactly the skillset we missed today to unlock the Chelsea defence: footballing IQ, quick intricate passing and clever runs.

Sadly, Ole went for James.

KetilOwren88

Surprised and disseapointed to not see him today, but there is no way Woodward sign players Ole doesn’t want. Some players go straight in to the team, others need more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.