Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Using Mata as evidence is definitely silly. When Mata is used on the right, he became more of a wide playmaker. VDB isn’t a playmaker. That V89 talk random normally.
Mata isn't playmaking anything from that wide role, and to suggest VDB cannot create from wider positions is presumptious. That said, I never called VDB a "wide playmaker".
However that doesn’t mean we don’t have other evidence to use VDB on the right. VDB is basically Thomas Muller, and being honest myself, I see lot of similarity in both players strength and weakness.
That is definitely random talk. I get they have similarities but to boil him down to just a Muller esque player who can only operate advanced areas is over the top. Look at his heatmaps for the season highlights so far.

They both are not lightning quick, physically not strong, doesn’t beat man one on one, play link up, has great off ball movement but deadly in the final third when in the box. And Muller has played on the right few times. 193x in his career and 3x this season. Ironically Muller was a midfielder when in youth, he was used as attacking midfielder when he moved to first team similar to VDB at Ajax. If Muller can adapt playing in the right then so does VDB.
So which one is it, VDB can play right or he can't? By the way, I never said VDB is a creative playmaker like Mata is so don't put words into my mouth. I said he can do better from the right side of midfield than Mata.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mata isn't playmaking anything from that wide role, and to suggest VDB cannot create from wider positions is presumptious.

That is definitely random talk. I get they have similarities but to boil him down to just a Muller esque player who can only operate advanced areas is over the top. Look at his heatmaps for the season highlights so far.

So which one is it, VDB can play right or he can't? By the way, I never said VDB is a creative playmaker like Mata is so don't put words into my mouth. I said he can do better from the right side of midfield than Mata.
I said you provide weak evidence for VDB to play on the right because both Mata & VDB are just not the same. One is playmaker while the other is not a playmaker.

However, Thomas Muller is a much better example as evidence.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I said you provide weak evidence for VDB to play on the right because both Mata & VDB are just not the same. One is playmaker while the other is not a playmaker.
The forum is about opinion and VDB is a 23 year old who has played in multiple positions in his brief career - to suggest he can slot into a wider right role better than Mata can is not outlandish nor does it require bases of evidence when Mata is under-performing there anyway.
Moreover, you agree with the logic that VDB can play a wide right role.

As to your bold point, I never once even suggested they are the same.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He is the shiny new toy so instead of playing him where we signed him for lets play him where we should have singed someone for, makes a lot of sense that.

I dont know why fans want Donny to play RW. It's not his position.

I think everyone was crying for a RW in the summer, it was complete incompetence from the board not to sign a RW. You cannot then sign 2 18 year olds and think they will be playing first team, one isnt even here till Jan so its a bit of a joke really.

This is why the individual results may be Ole's fault but the overall team performances and results are not completely down to him. It is the boards fault.

Look at the mistakes the board has made, this has impacted directly on Ole.

1. Signed a CAM when we have 2 players that can play that position
2. No RW signed when one was required from the last 5 years.
3. Signed Telles and Cavani too late in the window

Signing Donny instead of a RW has put pressure on Ole via the fans because he isnt played.

Why would a manager play a new signing when the current No 10 is delivering?
I largely agree with you that the fans moaning as if it's completely ridiculous that he's not playing on the right are going overboard. It's a position that he's never played and it's not like his game strongly indicates that he'll succeed there. For all we know Ole has been trying it out in training and VDB has been struggling. In saying that, I would like to see him get an opportunity on the right at some point as he might make it work and it's not like our current options are great. When he came on against West Brom I was disappointed he played centrally and Bruno moved out to the right, as that's unlikely to be a long term option since we obviously won't want to play Bruno out of position. I would have much preferred to see him come out to the right himself so he could basically be told "Ok, perform better than Mata and earn a starting spot next time".

Ultimately the preferred option would definitely have been somebody who was fully suitable to play both as #10 or winger. Grealish probably; even though he hasn't really played on the right his gamestyle does indicate he'd be much more suitable there than VDB (or we'd move Rashford to the right although he's normally not great there either). We might have been able to get away with purely a more central player like VDB if we actually had signed Sancho, but with that not happening we're desperately missing that option.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The forum is about opinion and VDB is a 23 year old who has played in multiple positions in his brief career - to suggest he can slot into a wider right role better than Mata can is not outlandish nor does it require bases of evidence when Mata is under-performing there anyway.
Moreover, you agree with the logic that VDB can play a wide right role.

As to your bold point, I never once even suggested they are the same.
My point was never about VDB can’t play on the right. You provided nothing as evidence to counter romufc argument, he’s right to question because VDB never play in there. You shouldn’t be arguing with me because I’m trying to help you by giving him a better evidence.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
My point was never about VDB can’t play on the right. You provided nothing as evidence to counter romufc argument, he’s right to question because VDB never play in there. You shouldn’t be arguing with me because I’m trying to help you by giving him a better evidence.
You also provided nothing as evidence. You just agreed that he can play on the right wing from a lazy assumption that he's "basically Muller". You shouldn't start arguments by suggesting others have "random talk" when evidently not reading their posts. You suggested I said Mata and VDB were similar players when I never said this.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You also provided nothing as evidence. You just agreed that he can play on the right wing from a lazy assumption that he's "basically Muller". You shouldn't start arguments by suggesting others have "random talk" when evidently not reading their posts. You suggested I said Mata and VDB were similar players when I never said this.
Nope. I make a point that both VDB & Muller are exact same player with same strength and weakness. If Muller can adapt on the right then VDB has the potential to do so. Mata can play on the right is irrelevant to VDB.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nope. I make a point that both VDB & Muller are exact same player with same strength and weakness. If Muller can adapt on the right then VDB has the potential to do so. Mata can play on the right is irrelevant to VDB.
I disagree with the bold bit, but in any case please don't say I make random talk and suggest things I never said please!

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I disagree with the bold bit, it's a lazy comparison in my view but in any case just don't suggest I make random talk and then make up things I never said please.
Then tell me what both Muller & VDB offer differently?

Poster was right to question the Mata argument. He’s been playing wide most of his career since at Valencia because he‘s been used wide as a wide playmaker. It’s irrelevant to VDB.

romufc

Using Mata as evidence is definitely silly. When Mata is used on the right, he became more of a wide playmaker. VDB isn’t a playmaker. That VP89 talks random normally.

However that doesn’t mean we don’t have other evidence to use VDB on the right. VDB is basically Thomas Muller, and being honest myself, I see lot of similarity in both players strength and weakness. They both are not lightning quick, physically not strong, doesn’t beat man one on one, play link up, has great off ball movement but deadly in the final third when in the box. And Muller has played on the right few times. 193x in his career and 3x this season. Ironically Muller was a midfielder when in youth, he was used as attacking midfielder when he moved to first team similar to VDB at Ajax. If Muller can adapt playing on the right of that attacking mid then so does VDB.

Muller came through as an attacker, which is why in the early years he played RW, LW and second striker. When has Donny in his early years every played as a winger?

I cannot see any evidence provided from anyone suggesting Donny can play RW.

romufc

There is no "Ole out" hat.
You say people want to see him at RW without any context, you've already been told that Mata sticks out like a complete sore thumb in the right wing spot, and it's sensible to suggest that VDB can slot into that role (in the interim) better than Mata can. They are different players where one is more creative and the other is younger and able to play with greater intensity + press. Neither are "right wingers" of course, but Donny's skill-set is more suited to that position than Mata currently shows.

Moving away from right wing however, Ole has played extremely passively in some games where he forced in Fred and McTominay. He could have had Donny in place of McTominay for example, where he can play well in a box to box. He could have played instead of Pogba before that too, when Pogba was churning out utter shite performances until he was dropped.

Ole has had many chances to play VDB in a box-to-box or to even fill in on the right side of midfield where Mata is doing a poor job in filling in. He has had many opportunities and failed to actually implement them. It's nothing to do with "Ole Out" - the facts are the facts. When Donny comes on we tend to do better. For example in the league, he was the only lively player vs Palace, and we turned Newcastle on it's head when VDB came on. Then he gets dropped the next game. It's just turning into stupidity the more it goes on.
No manager has played Donny RW, even the Dutch manager, a team which doesnt really have wingers doesnt play him there.

Until you give me evidence that Donny can play RW, its fans being armchair managers and doing the same thing we keep doing, thinking a player can play x position when all the evidence suggests he can't.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Then tell me what both Muller & VDB offer differently?

Poster was right to question the Mata argument. He’s been playing wide most of his career since at Valencia because he‘s been used wide as a wide playmaker. It’s irrelevant to VDB.
He can question it, that's not a problem. But he wasn't just doing that - he likened VDB playing on the right to Lukaku playing at center back. That's what sparked the whole debate, my point being VDB operating from a wider role is not as big a jump as he thinks.

From the little I've seen of VDB so far he can be very well suited to a box-to-box role whereas Muller at 31 has found his craft as the false 9. I find the decision that a 23 year old with less experience who has operated in a variety of roles is suddenly just a Thomas Muller player and nothing else, when he offers great pressing ability, good ball carrying skills, smart positional play and operates very well in tight areas too.

romufc

I largely agree with you that the fans moaning as if it's completely ridiculous that he's not playing on the right are going overboard. It's a position that he's never played and it's not like his game strongly indicates that he'll succeed there. For all we know Ole has been trying it out in training and VDB has been struggling. In saying that, I would like to see him get an opportunity on the right at some point as he might make it work and it's not like our current options are great. When he came on against West Brom I was disappointed he played centrally and Bruno moved out to the right, as that's unlikely to be a long term option since we obviously won't want to play Bruno out of position. I would have much preferred to see him come out to the right himself so he could basically be told "Ok, perform better than Mata and earn a starting spot next time".

Ultimately the preferred option would definitely have been somebody who was fully suitable to play both as #10 or winger. Grealish probably; even though he hasn't really played on the right his gamestyle does indicate he'd be much more suitable there than VDB (or we'd move Rashford to the right although he's normally not great there either). We might have been able to get away with purely a more central player like VDB if we actually had signed Sancho, but with that not happening we're desperately missing that option.
Its a joke. Lingard is better of on the right than Donny.

I like what you said on West Brom and let me expand on that one actually. Against Newcastle, Donny came on and played CAM and Bruno got shifted to the left. Every game Donny has come on, he has played centrally, which shows he isn't a winger.

He may do better than Mata, but that is not the solution.

So the fact that he Donny isn't playing RW is not Ole's fault, its down to the incompetence of the board not signing a RW. Grealish plays on the wing for Villa so it would make more sense him playing a wing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Muller came through as an attacker, which is why in the early years he played RW, LW and second striker. When has Donny in his early years every played as a winger?

I cannot see any evidence provided from anyone suggesting Donny can play RW.
https://sportmob.com/en/article/824570-top-facts-you-need-to-know-about-thomas-muller

Quote from the link I posted:

‘’As Muller got through the youth academy, he was considered fundamentally as a midfielder, yet after breaking into the main team he has been utilized in additionally offensive positions. ‘’

Similar to Donny, Donny was fundamentally a midfielder in youth system but after breaking into the main team he has been utilised in that no 10 role. Do you see anything that Donny & Muller offer differently?

romufc

https://sportmob.com/en/article/824570-top-facts-you-need-to-know-about-thomas-muller

Quote from the link I posted:

‘’As Muller got through the youth academy, he was considered fundamentally as a midfielder, yet after breaking into the main team he has been utilized in additionally offensive positions. ‘’

Similar to Donny, Donny was fundamentally a midfielder in youth system but after breaking into the main team he has been utilised in that no 10 role.
Again, he was utilized on all 3 attacking options.

Show me evidence that Donny has played on the wings ?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I have never seen Donny run with the ball, watching both United and the Netherlands game, so it is quite interesting how can anybody think he might play on the wing. The problem is any fullback will eat him alive if he's got no passing option, which is basically happening with Mata now, and I rate Mata higher on the ball than Donny (not passing ability, just close control and dribbling).

romufc

But he was a midfielder originally and converted into attacking mid.

Just a lazy comment. So you are here saying he should be played as a wide midfielder and the only evidence you have him playing RM is against Spurs for 20 mins for Manutd.

Then you complain that we dont try him as a RM.

What you have done there is give me evidence that Ole has tried Donny on the right, so there you go. He has played him Right and it hasnt worked.

Muller played majority of his football on the wing in the first 3 seasons he came in. There is a massive difference.

romufc

I have never seen Donny run with the ball, watching both United and the Netherlands game, so it is quite interesting how can anybody think he might play on the wing. The problem is any fullback will eat him alive if he's got no passing option, which is basically happening with Mata now, and I rate Mata higher on the ball than Donny (not passing ability, just close control and dribbling).
Donny is a link player, I have never seen a player that can link up play RW.

RW for us we need someone who stays out wide and give us width considering our full backs don't.

Why do fans want to set up a player to fail?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Donny is a link player, I have never seen a player that can link up play RW.

RW for us we need someone who stays out wide and give us width considering our full backs don't.

Why do fans want to set up a player to fail?
Don't get that either. I can see him starting games this season, but we'd need to change formation to accommodate him. I have my doubts whether he is a central midfielder, but a RW or any wide player for that matter he clearly is not. So like you said, the only reason to play him there is if you want him to fail.

Ajax Forever

Supports
Ajax
United should do themselves a favour and not play Donny on the wing.

He is not a player who is going to run up and down with the ball on the wing. He is a player who is a creative midfielder. Used to quick touches at Ajax. Turning open with the ball and creating space. Or entering into space himself. As a CM or AM he has scored many goals for us. He has got a nose for the goal and he is skill full in tight spaces.

All this wing talk. It will not work out for him and for United to put him there.

I will gladly take him back at Ajax if he doesn't settle well for you guys.

romufc

Don't get that either. I can see him starting games this season, but we'd need to change formation to accommodate him. I have my doubts whether he is a central midfielder, but a RW or any wide player for that matter he clearly is not. So like you said, the only reason to play him there is if you want him to fail.
Its simple for me. Donny was not signed as a RW, we should not play him as a RW. Some fans need to stop blaming the boards incompetence on the manager.

He will get his chance to play in games as a 10.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No manager has played Donny RW, even the Dutch manager, a team which doesnt really have wingers doesnt play him there.
They do have wingers - or at least players more naturally suited to wider areas such as Promes, Depay has been left wing, Bergwin too and Berghui. Donny hasn't really started for Holland of late in central positions let alone in wide areas. It's not really apt to compare his role for internationals to club because he's very much still in the infancy of his career. This is why I said he can fill in at right side of midfield more than Mata can, because the latter is in the twilight of his career, unable to fulfill the duties in a wider role, whereas VDB possesses the skill-set to perform adequately enough there.
Until you give me evidence that Donny can play RW, its fans being armchair managers and doing the same thing we keep doing, thinking a player can play x position when all the evidence suggests he can't.
Whilst wholly accepting there are "no games" to suggest that he'd play better than Mata at RW, it's not something you require firm evidence to stake a claim in - it's like saying Shaw should never play as a third center back because there's no evidence to suggest he's any good. Until one day Ole tests him out and it turns out, he is pretty good in that role relative to the alternative. This is a similar situation, expect Ole hasn't bothered playing VDB at all let alone in place of Mata.

romufc

They do have wingers - or at least players more naturally suited to wider areas such as Promes, Depay has been left wing, Bergwin too and Berghui. Donny hasn't really started for Holland of late in central positions let alone in wide areas. It's not really apt to compare his role for internationals to club because he's very much still in the infancy of his career. This is why I said he can fill in at right side of midfield more than Mata can, because the latter is in the twilight of his career, unable to fulfill the duties in a wider role, whereas VDB possesses the skill-set to perform adequately enough there.

Whilst wholly accepting there are "no games" to suggest that he'd play better than Mata at RW, it's not something you require firm evidence to stake a claim in - it's like saying Shaw should never play as a third center back because there's no evidence to suggest he's any good. Until one day Ole tests him out and it turns out, he is pretty good in that role relative to the alternative. This is a similar situation, expect Ole hasn't bothered playing VDB at all let alone in place of Mata.
Fine lets not compare his international because he cannot even get into their first 11.

Just because Mata cannot play there, does not mean Donny can, we have players like James, Greenwood, Lingard who can play the wing.

Like you said, until Shaw was tested at RCB we didn't know, that should give you some kind of indication that in training Shaw showed evidence that he could play there. How we we know that Donny isnt showing the signs that he cannot play RW?

In most games that he has come on, we move Bruno to the wing and Donny plays central, that should show you that the coaching staff do not think he is a winger or can play there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just a lazy comment. So you are here saying he should be played as a wide midfielder and the only evidence you have him playing RM is against Spurs for 20 mins for Manutd.

Then you complain that we dont try him as a RM.

What you have done there is give me evidence that Ole has tried Donny on the right, so there you go. He has played him Right and it hasnt worked.

Muller played majority of his football on the wing in the first 3 seasons he came in. There is a massive difference.
No, I'm here to say that Donny might be able to adapt playing on the right because Donny is the exact carbon copy or clone of Muller. Donny have the exact same plying style, same strength & same weakness as Muller. If you forced Donny to play like Nani or Sancho then no, but if you tell him to play like Muller then yes.

I can't argue with your point about him never play on the right however you asked me to show you whether he ever play on wing and I just showed you his flexibility as a player that he played on the wing before.

Muller was originally a midfield in Bayern youth system/Bayern II, it's fact though I'm not making this up. The link I gave stated so and he was converted into attacking mid or attackers when he was promoted into Bayern first team. And I fused this fact into both him & Donny have the exact same plying style, same strength & same weakness. That's why I asked you what Muller & Donny offer differently in their games, you will need to answer this question so you can tell me that Donny has no ability to adapt on the right.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No, I'm here to say that Donny might be able to adapt playing on the right because Donny is the exact carbon copy or clone of Muller. Donny have the exact same plying style, same strength & same weakness as Muller.

I can't argue with your point about him never play on the right however you asked me to show you whether he ever play on wing and I just showed you his flexibility as a player that he played on the wing before.

Muller was originally a midfield in Bayern youth system/Bayern II, it's fact though I'm not making this up. The link I gave stated so and he was converted into attacking mid or attackers when he was promoted into Bayern first team. And I fused this fact into both him & Donny have the exact same plying style, same strength & same weakness. That's why I asked you what Muller & Donny offer differently in their games, you will need to answer this question so you can tell me that Donny has no ability to adapt on the right.
But this argument is exactly as weak as showing that Jones can be a rightback or take corners because he did so for us a couple of times. That's why nobody will take it seriously. Would be stronger if you could provide a heatmap (just because he was put there in lineup doesn't mean he played there, Donny has a tendency to drift around) and then see the stats from that game.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Donny is acting professionally and saying all the right things but behind closed doors and away from the training ground I imagine he's already had preliminary talks with his agent about looking for a new club in the summer.

He's far too good to be a bit part player for us. And we shouldn't have signed him or any CM until we got rid of Pogba. It almost feels like we've signed Pogba's replacement 12 months early to me. Good planning some might call it but we had other pressing issues to sort out.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
But this argument is exactly as weak as showing that Jones can be a rightback or take corners because he did so for us a couple of times. That's why nobody will take it seriously. Would be stronger if you could provide a heatmap (just because he was put there in lineup doesn't mean he played there, Donny has a tendency to drift around) and then see the stats from that game.
Not if you can give an example of another player with the same ability as Jones and proven able to adapt to play right back and can take corners. That's why I use Muller x Donny argument.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Not if you can give an example of another player with the same ability as Jones and proven able to adapt to play right back and can take corners. That's why I use Muller x Donny argument.
No, it's weak because you'll never prove 1) they have the same ability (subjective) and 2) just because 1 has been able to adapt doesn't mean 99 failed, even assuming the same ability (survivorship bias link).

romufc

No, I'm here to say that Donny might be able to adapt playing on the right because Donny is the exact carbon copy or clone of Muller. Donny have the exact same plying style, same strength & same weakness as Muller. If you forced Donny to play like Nani or Sancho then no, but if you tell him to play like Muller then yes.

Play like Muller? Has Muller played for MUFC? why are we trying to emulate a player who has played most of his professional games as a winger?

Muller in the youth came in as a midfielder, as soon as he got into the first team for Germany and Bayern the managers realised he isnt a CM and is a attacking player, on the left, right and central.

If you must know alot of players play different position in youth, if you go listen to Bruno's podcast he played CB. Are we going to play him as a CB ? No.

He played on the wing when we were 10 men and 20 minutes to go against spurs being 6-1 down, it shows nothing that about his felxibility.

Show me where before signing for Manutd he played on the wing?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No, it's weak because you'll never prove 1) they have the same ability (subjective) and 2) just because 1 has been able to adapt doesn't mean 99 failed, even assuming the same ability (survivorship bias link).
I agree. But the argument is better than that poster who used Mata as evidence to support their argument that Donny can play on the right when clearly when Mata plays on wide, he was used as wide playmaker and Donny is not a playmaker.

Right now all I can say is that both Muller & Donny are exact image what they offer and with the same ability, Donny might be able to adapt to play in there.

romufc

Would be stronger if you could provide a heatmap (just because he was put there in lineup doesn't mean he played there, Donny has a tendency to drift around) and then see the stats from that game.
I had a look at it, throughout his career he has played on the right once.

This was for Manutd V spurs at home for 22 mins when we were losing 5-1. It holds 0 value because we were just playing for the sake of it in the last 20 mins of that game.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Donny is acting professionally and saying all the right things but behind closed doors and away from the training ground I imagine he's already had preliminary talks with his agent about looking for a new club in the summer.

He's far too good to be a bit part player for us. And we shouldn't have signed him or any CM until we got rid of Pogba. It almost feels like we've signed Pogba's replacement 12 months early to me. Good planning some might call it but we had other pressing issues to sort out.
I was with you until the last bit - wtf :lol:

He knows his time will come, there’s only been 8 league games.

Giggs' right foot

I think Manchester United was the absolute wrong move for him and his career at this point imo.
Exactly how I view every single player we buy - hate for them to think they’re joining a well oiled machine that is about to fire on all cylinders, because we’re such a mess on and off the pitch...

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I agree. But the argument is better than that poster who used Mata as evidence to support their argument that Donny can play on the right when clearly when Mata plays on wide, he was used as wide playmaker and Donny is not a playmaker.

Right now all I can say is that both Muller & Donny are exact image what they offer and with the same ability, Donny might be able to adapt to play in there.
If you're making a point that Donny and Mueller are similar players, then I agree. But if you're trying to prove he can play on the wing then there is nothing that supports that other than "other players made it". Muller wasn't even a winger, he moved across the pitch like a second striker (and again, I see similarities to Donny here).

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Play like Muller? Has Muller played for MUFC? why are we trying to emulate a player who has played most of his professional games as a winger?

Muller in the youth came in as a midfielder, as soon as he got into the first team for Germany and Bayern the managers realised he isnt a CM and is a attacking player, on the left, right and central.

If you must know alot of players play different position in youth, if you go listen to Bruno's podcast he played CB. Are we going to play him as a CB ? No.

He played on the wing when we were 10 men and 20 minutes to go against spurs being 6-1 down, it shows nothing that about his felxibility.
Like I said before I can't see the difference in player's style and ability between Muller & Donny. Both are considered as attacking midfielder and can play as 10 or 8. Physically both are the same, not a quick one with lack of physical strength. They both rely on their off ball movement & likes to press, praised for their tactical intelligence, positioning, awareness, ability to times their run & ability to handle the ball when under pressure.

Muller often call his role on the wide as ''raumdeuter''. And I believe Donny can play in that raumdeuter role.

This is the only thing I got so if you want to counter the argument you have to tell me how both players have different style and ability.

Show me where before signing for Manutd he played on the wing?
Ok.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If you're making a point that Donny and Mueller are similar players, then I agree. But if you're trying to prove he can play on the wing then there is nothing that supports that other than "other players made it". Muller wasn't even a winger, he moved across the pitch like a second striker (and again, I see similarities to Donny here).
Muller called his role when he plays wide as raumdeuter. I'm just making a point that we can use Donny the same way due to both have the same style & ability. I never say we need to play Donny like winger Nani or Sancho.

Giggs' right foot

Like I said before I can't see the difference in player's style and ability between Muller & Donny. Both are considered as attacking midfielder and can play as 10 or 8. Physically both are the same, not a quick one with lack of physical strength. They both rely on their off ball movement & likes to press, praised for their tactical intelligence, positioning, awareness, ability to times their run & ability to handle the ball when under pressure.

Muller often call his role on the wide as ''raumdeuter''. And I believe Donny can play in that raumdeuter role.

This is the only thing I got so if you want to counter the argument you have to tell me how both players have different style and ability.

Ok.
You conveniently cut out that that was one game - for seven minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.