5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

He either becomes a central midfielder or he sits on the bench 90% of the time because the difference between him and Bruno in that role is huge.

redNATION

Would suit City really well, can keep possession and find space, but exactly the type of player Ole doesn’t know how to use. Waste of 40m that could’ve gone to a CB or CDM

arnie_ni

He needs to play deeper and get us moving in midfield. Him and pogba should have been swapped.

Bobski

Would suit City really well, can keep possession and find space, but exactly the type of player Ole doesn’t know how to use. Waste of 40m that could’ve gone to a CB or CDM
Not just Ole, he is an in between midfielder, even more so than Pogba, who looks likes he needs a certain style of play to excel in. Non existent passing range so far, everything is 10-15 yards, you have to show you can hurt teams.

NinjaFletch

He plays a lot like Lingard. Obviously his goal record in the Netherlands was much better, so I'm still hoping he can recreate that here.

He wasn't anything more than 'neat' with the ball today.
I would probably be less flattering with my comparison with that. He's reminded me of a cross between Cleverley and Kagawa so far. Perfectly fine playing one twos and moving the ball simple, but neither creative enough to play further forward, nor offering enough defensively to play as a 6.

I can see him slotting in at a City and looking fine, but I can also see him very quickly finding himself out of that side in favour of players that offer more than he does.

Still, early days, I hope he can find a role.

Obiorahking_

He’s definitely more reserved than Bruno and isn’t on his level( then again you couldn’t really name anyone who is) but I agree sometimes he’s going to have to take more chances especially when the team is struggling. Don’t doubt his quality though especially after the last two games he’s had so the reactionary crowd already writing him off needs to calm the hell down and stop being so emotional.

RUCK4444

This is the problem I expected when we were first confirmed as linked to buying him.

Not better than Bruno as a no 10 and can’t really play as part of the two in midfield as he’s not combative enough.

Like another poster said, he’s an in between midfielder player, not really one or the other. Bit like Pogba.

Which is why Ole felt the need to leave Fred on the pitch against PSG.

Still a decent squad option though.

lsd

The Oracle
Like Evra says anyone who thinks he is better than Pogba is having a laugh.

Tony247

Should have swapped place with Pogba. Play deeper and he is good moving the ball around quickly.

The United

He is a link up player just like Mata without being that good. So, when he starts, he stays too high up front usually and becomes a passenger.

But, I think his role would be how Mata has been used this season, coming on for 2nd half while we need a goal against low block team that is sitting back.

kundalini

He didn't cause West Ham any problems in the first half.

Difficult for him because the team is set-up for Fernandes and doesn't seem to know what to do when Donny gets the ball.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Didn't play well but then neither did anyone while Fernandes and Rashford were on the bench. Would like to see him playing deeper for a run of games with Bruno on the pitch but I suspect I'll be kept waiting.

The United

Didn't play well but then neither did anyone while Fernandes and Rashford were on the bench. Would like to see him playing deeper for a run of games with Bruno on the pitch but I suspect I'll be kept waiting.
Our team right now can not play with only one midfielder screening the back 4. We got overrun by other teams any time we tried that by playing Pogba or VDB.

That's my observation with our midfield.

Superunknown

I like the player but don't think he and Ole are a good fit. Ole is always going to favour Bruno over him, because Bruno is that good. So, it's whether he can find a way of getting VDB and Bruno into the same team without compromising the defence, midfield or attack. I don't think Ole is dynamic enough to figure out this problem, so it's most likely that the way VDB is being used now is the way he'll continue to be used. E.g. as a replacement for Bruno when he's tired/injured or against weaker sides.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Felt a bit sorry for him today. Didn’t have the runners to combine with but someone had to make play. He’s a class act though.

HowYouDoin

VDB is absolutely not a number 10 and he will never look good for us there. Also his attributes arent really well suited for that position
Hes an out and out number 8.

What we should have done in first half maybe was switch Pogba and VDB but anywho, all is well that ends well I guess.

No idea how people see a number 10 in him. Maybe he can get away with playing that position for Ajax but he doesnt have the necessary ceiling at that position for the PL.

He is a lot like Herrera and if you want him to be a part of our rotation, he is an out and out number 8. Central midfielder is his future position, absolutely not a number 10.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I can see why Ole has struggled to get him the side having seen more of him over the past few weeks. Its difficult to see where his strengths lie, he's not a ball-winner or a player who is going to create much it seems.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out with him, definitely on the fence personally at the moment, although appreciate not easy for him with us being disjointed as we are.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me he is a goalscorer and not a creator from number 10.

With him as number 10 you cant blame him as not being creative enough when the creativity can be coming from deeper.

His role and style of play is to make runs and confuse the defensive lines for the other attackers who make runs with him. VDB finishes a chance when one of of them falls in to the paths of the runs he tries to find. Him running around isnt going to help his creativity in my opinion.

Strelok

He plays a lot like Lingard. Obviously his goal record in the Netherlands was much better, so I'm still hoping he can recreate that here.

He wasn't anything more than 'neat' with the ball today.
Unfortunately I have the exact same feeling watching him in the first half.

He was running around like a headless fly, had no idea where to position himself to receive the ball and had no idea to do with the ball than passing it back. He was basically invisible and we basically played with 10 men. A #10 with not a single pass into the box nor a shot. Twice I count he didn't shield the ball and let Rice run past him then nicked it from him. We couldn't move the ball forward despite having like 7x % possession in the first 20-25'.

pascell

He struggled as we couldn't get the ball forward quick enough in the 1st half. He seems like a tidy and technical player, who I'm sure will be a positive asset once he's fully settled in.

I like the look of him, he'll help against the press when we can get players passing and moving in and around him.

Ralph1386

He either becomes a central midfielder or he sits on the bench 90% of the time because the difference between him and Bruno in that role is huge.
His best position was never number 10. He mostly played as a right sided number 8 for Ajax and he’s best as a box to box midfielder.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Struggling to see what he can provide in this side. Still early days though

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
For the money paid and what he offers he’s a great signing.

For the money paid he was never going to be a guaranteed starter.

Ralph1386

I like the player but don't think he and Ole are a good fit. Ole is always going to favour Bruno over him, because Bruno is that good. So, it's whether he can find a way of getting VDB and Bruno into the same team without compromising the defence, midfield or attack. I don't think Ole is dynamic enough to figure out this problem, so it's most likely that the way VDB is being used now is the way he'll continue to be used. E.g. as a replacement for Bruno when he's tired/injured or against weaker sides.
Him and Bruno shouldn’t be competing because they are suited for different positions each.

For the money paid and what he offers he’s a great signing.

For the money paid he was never going to be a guaranteed starter.
what Does he offer? Some players take time to settle, and I’m not worried about him per se - but don’t see anything outstanding about him.

money paid is irrelevant.

sport2793

He struggled as we couldn't get the ball forward quick enough in the 1st half. He seems like a tidy and technical player, who I'm sure will be a positive asset once he's fully settled in.

I like the look of him, he'll help against the press when we can get players passing and moving in and around him.
Na he was the problem as he was not willing to make runs in behind, it's that simple. Either he has to add that to his game or he has to play in a different position. I also think that he will make those adjustments with time as he is a quality player. Am not worried about him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Very poor today. He was so static at no 10 and seemed incapable of making runs in behind.

Difference between him and Bruno was startling and concerning. Explains why OGS hasn’t started him that often.

Fred took along time to adjust and Im confident Donny will adjust quicker, but he is still a way off to be reliable.

dal

What type of player is he exactly, I’d say a Herrera with out the bite from the games I’ve seen which is basically a nothing player, now my assessment is obviously wrong as he’s not had enough games.

He doesn’t look strong enough to play 6 or 8, let’s see.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
what Does he offer? Some players take time to settle, and I’m not worried about him per se - but don’t see anything outstanding about him.

money paid is irrelevant.
No it’s not.

If it’s not him it would have been Perriera.

He offers more than that. Already this year he’s looked good in a lot of games.

The United

His best position was never number 10. He mostly played as a right sided number 8 for Ajax and he’s best as a box to box midfielder.
As for me, a box to box midfielder means they have ability to shield the ball and carry it from box to box, not just doing tippy passing to someone within 5 yards.

No it’s not.

If it’s not him it would have been Perriera.

He offers more than that. Already this year he’s looked good in a lot of games.
money paid doesn’t affect how a player plays.

I’m not having a go at him, or you - but I’d like to know what he’s got to offer - specifically.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Bit of a Kagawa/Mkhitaryen buzz off him right now. Real struggle ahead for him to establish himself here.

Status
Not open for further replies.