5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

meamth

I see we're onto the 'what does he actually do' phase of the first season.

Joking aside, I hope/think he'll grow into the United shirt a bit more as the season goes on. Fred looked useless for a good while at the start of his career here, completely different looking player now.
They will never learn.

city-puma

From what I saw in his limited game time, he might be a really good element in a midfield three setup on the right. I would imagine the original plan is to acquire him and a right wing player like sacho. Thus, we can have an alternative, new system, for instance,

Fred-McT-VDB

The wide players on both sides are very important and need to be highly dynamic to make this system work.
Unfortunately we cannot get sancho in the last window, but if the two youngsters we brought in can turn up good in the coming months we will be able to see this setup.
A setup like this allows us to rest Bruno who I think badly needs carefully managed game time. He gives his all whenever he is on the pitch and has been kicked all the way non-stop. A loss due to injury to him will ruin the whole team.
Diallo, can you be that dynamic wing player?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I don't think it's right to write him off already. But imo it's not right either to ask for more minutes for him. Based on his recent performances he simply doesn't deserve it.

We've been complaining to death here about how our standards have been dropped. Rashford must be super pissed off about that situation. He was going to have a chance, a very good chance to bury the match and a hattrick for himself.

A player must earn his minutes, only so his teammates wouldn't feel unfair and our standards wouldn't be dropped. So, unless there's a big injury crisis, which I hope would never happen, imo Ole should never start him again in the PL. At least in the near future. Same with Fred, he had to wait for his chance then grabbed it with both hands.
You have a point about recent performances but last night would (should) of been a perfect time to start him for either Bruno or Pogba. We have a high number of games coming up against better opponents than SU. We have a decent squad and should be protecting our best players (Rashford and Bruno) a little bit more than we did at the end of last season. Maybe it was a little forced then but we now have the players to give others a break and should be using it.

I think Donnie is a good player but the wrong signing for us. Very similar to Mata. Maybe when Pogba leaves he can stake his own claim and become a regular because I can't see it happening any other way unless as you say we have injuries.

Man Utd 6:2 Leeds United

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I quite like him. Reads the game really well and gets stuck in, and that first touch is great. At this point I'd be fuming with Ole if I was him. Clearly he's a system player and we're not a systematic team but looks like he's got the right character to slot in.

Haddock

Superb attitude. He read the game so well, kept the intensity and he made four crucial tackles to kill Leeds attacks. He's going to start soon enough and he will come good. Keep the faith.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Much better today, deserves more trust.

lex talionis

Donny. Once we clear out Pogba — an all worlder on his day, but there are issues — we can use him to great effect.

More, please!

Superunknown

He’s a surprisingly good ball-winner.
I thought that, too. Seems to have that agility in him to make a good tackle, and then get up again before finding space to receive another pass. Hope it all works out for him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He’s a surprisingly good ball-winner.
Huh, I just saw the end of the game. He did two tackles and created one decent chance for Cavani, which is as good as it gets for a short cameo.

I'm starting to think if we can use Donny in Fred place (who didn't have his best game yesterday but still did OK in general).

Adamsk7

He’ll come good - he’s only been with us a few months and he’s finding his place in the team. I don’t think that’ll be number 10 because Bruno is our best player and leader but absolutely alongside Fred or McT, in a diamond or coming in from a wider position. It’s just nice to know we have quality options - we’ve got used to having players on the bench that expect to be there so seeing his name, Pogba and Cavani on the sidelines currently shouldn’t be something we stress about - we never used to after all!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The one reason I worry for him is because he seems to be always coming on for Bruno and not playing with Bruno.

Yesterday towards the 86th minute he made one of his traditional Ajax runs down the right hand channel that no one in the Leeds team picked up and in my mind it would have 100% led to another goal.

The problem was by that time Bruno had come off and our team tactics had been altered quite alot to the point that the creativity wasnt there as much - it wasnt just Leeds that doesnt see his runs, not many of our players do either :(

I wonder when he gets a run of games with Bruno really because Van De Beek is a goalscorer from midfield, not a creator from midfield. Bruno is looking like one of the worlds best in his position with the ability to do everything, create, score goals, tackle and play like a captain - just because VDB may only be able to do one or two of those things doesnt mean he is exactly useless for not being Bruno because not everybody is.

I want to see players who can pick his runs, create for Van De Beek rather than Van De Beek create for our team.

I wonder how that will happen.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’ll get a run of starts soon but he probably won’t hit form until next season and that’s fine. It happens a lot but I’m already happy with the signing. He seems like a hard worker and a good lad who wants to step it up, who doesn’t mind being rotated and hes versatile. The only way his value is going is up and if for some reason it doesn’t work out we make our money back. It’s just a very sensible transfer. Fans should temper expectations while he settles in but they always expect

He’ll get a run of starts soon but he probably won’t hit form until next season and that’s fine. It happens a lot but I’m already happy with the signing. He seems like a hard worker and a good lad who wants to step it up, who doesn’t mind being rotated and hes versatile. The only way his value is going is up and if for some reason it doesn’t work out we make our money back. It’s just a very sensible transfer. Fans should temper expectations while he settles in but they always expect
I agree with you post, except the value of the player. If he doesn’t break into the team, we would do well to get our money back on him.

however, we are nowhere near that point in time - and he will be given games in time. I would think he will start against Everton.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I agree with you post, except the value of the player. If he doesn’t break into the team, we would do well to get our money back on him.

however, we are nowhere near that point in time - and he will be given games in time. I would think he will start against Everton.
I should have said if it doesn’t work out we will make most of our money back. Either way it’s no bad thing to have such a promising and professional player waiting in the wings for his shot. He gives the starters something to think about and it’s obviously top cover and rotation. Ole has managed him well so far. He’s coming along.

DRM

I guess we should be grateful we can bring on a player of his quality rather than the likes of perriera/lingard.

I should have said if it doesn’t work out we will make most of our money back. Either way it’s no bad thing to have such a promising and professional player waiting in the wings for his shot. He gives the starters something to think about and it’s obviously top cover and rotation. Ole has managed him well so far. He’s coming along.
agreed. Think he’s been well managed.

Icemav

Bit odd this desperation to play him. His first season with the club playing in the PL and he is not clearly nimber 1 in any position. Good squad player at the moment and he will definitely get a lot more minutes. His big chance will come I am sure.

Matt851

There have definitely been missed opportunities to play him a bit more that shpuld have been taken. As for him coming along, i thought he looked pretty good in his early appearances so cant really point to him improving

I do think he looks much more obviously suited to a deeper role than as a bruno replacement. Oles usage of him so far suggests he thinks otherwise

agreed. Think he’s been well managed.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
To be honest, I’ve said all along I think he’s mostly a back up to Bruno. When he’s played although he hasn’t massively impressed, he’s still looked technically excellent. Given our back ups to Bruno last season were Lingard and Pereria, and before that those 2 were starting for us, I’m delighted Donny is here.

CiroDiMarzio

Well put. I can't understand the hysteria around this since he came in. He's a young player making a step up to a tougher league. There's a lot of quality and competition for places in that midfield. He seems like a humble kid with a good head on his shoulders so I'm sure he can understand his role at the moment and will work hard to become a more regular starter.

city-puma

The obvious issue is that he is not athletic. But, he seems having good football intelligence. It will take a while to work out a role suitable to him and the team. I feel it is a three men midfield core setup,

front three
Fred-McT-VDB

Or,
Front two
Bruno
Fed-McT-VDB

SoCross

I thought that, too. Seems to have that agility in him to make a good tackle, and then get up again before finding space to receive another pass. Hope it all works out for him.
Yeah he makes some very good contributions off the well, noticed that in his appearances.

Huh, I just saw the end of the game. He did two tackles and created one decent chance for Cavani, which is as good as it gets for a short cameo.

I'm starting to think if we can use Donny in Fred place (who didn't have his best game yesterday but still did OK in general).
Fred was good yesterday. Think it should be McT’s place he’d be playing in with Bruno ahead of him. Rotation, not replace.

He’s not a creator in the ilk of Bruno so I think he’s suited deeper but with the license to get forward. Need Fred to play the holding role for that. Fred is slowly making himself indispensable.

Walters_19_MuFc

Felt he did fine when he came on yesterday. Will most likely start against Everton on Wednesday. Does need to impress, though, as he failed to take his opportunity against West Ham.

Grande

To be honest, I’ve said all along I think he’s mostly a back up to Bruno. When he’s played although he hasn’t massively impressed, he’s still looked technically excellent. Given our back ups to Bruno last season were Lingard and Pereria, and before that those 2 were starting for us, I’m delighted Donny is here.
I think this is a clue, as an upgrade on Lingz/Pereira he is already fantastic.

HowYouDoin

Like others said, aggressive tackling and a good ball winner. He is a CM, no ifs or buts about it.

I would like to see him in Fred's role like others have said too.
Would like to see him as a #6 with McTominay or even Pogba.
Him and Fred are somewhat similar, probably not the best pairing but I feel VDB would work well with both McT and Pogba.

HowYouDoin

I think this is a clue, as an upgrade on Lingz/Pereira he is already fantastic.
I somewhat disagree. I really rate VDB but dont see him any better than Lingard or Pereira as an AM. Ok maybe much better than Lingard from last year cuz he was shocking but Lingard when he was in his prime? Better AM than Donny I think. Even Pereira when he's playing well.

Donny just isnt an AM at all I think but will be awesome for us as a CM down the line.

Grande

I somewhat disagree. I really rate VDB but dont see him any better than Lingard or Pereira as an AM. Ok maybe much better than Lingard from last year cuz he was shocking but Lingard when he was in his prime? Better AM than Donny I think. Even Pereira when he's playing well.

Donny just isnt an AM at all I think but will be awesome for us as a CM down the line.
Lingard at his best was very good, for a very short while, and a very long time ago. Had he sustained that he would be a very worthwhile squad option still, unfortunately he ceased to be that for about three years ago or something, so that verdion of Lings have been long overdue in needing a replacement!

I’ve seen Van de Beek playing as a 10 and as a forwardleaning 8 at Ajax and some glimpses at United, and if you think Pereira have shown anything similar I have to vehemently disagree. I’d be surprised if you find many taker on that viewpoint, wether here, in Spain or at Lazio.

I think Van de Beek has done ok filling in so far in very different situations, pointing to his intelligence and versatility. He’s been useful. I too think he has potential for being a lot better as he builds relations with the other players and coaching team, and adjusts to our style and the PL. But seeing him from the bench is already a whole other experience for me than what options we’ve had the latter years.

Bwuk

If he starts tonight we need a big performance from him.

It’s nearly Christmas and he’s really done nothing of note, granted he’s not had much of a chance but still.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

It’s nearly Christmas and he’s really done nothing of note, granted he’s not had much of a chance but still.
He's had a few fairly good matches when he's played in a deeper position, either with Fred in a two or with Matic and Fred in a diamond (with Bruno ahead of them obviously). He's shown enough that I'm quite hopeful that that option will be good for us going forward, at least against lower teams.

The big question of course is whether he can do well enough in a more advanced role that we can afford to rest Bruno occasionally (or take over that role for a while if Bruno gets injured). That's what he's struggled with so far.

Chief123

That last paragraph is funny. It’s very difficult to do anything of note, when you’ve not had much of a chance :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.