Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

hungrywing

Glad you can see the point of view at least
Sure. It's very possible that there's some sort of Ole vs Woodsplat political issue going on.

EDIT: The last two major times Woodpulp stuck his oar in, we got Bruno six months late and lost out on Haaland. If I'm Ole and or in Ole's camp and vdB was a Woodmulch signing, it's a major headache.

Last edited:

red4ever 79

Donny needs to review the situation in the summer. If the 2nd half of the season goes the same way as the first, then the lad needs to push for a move away. You cannot tell me that this lad is worse than McTom

Smores

Donny needs to review the situation in the summer. If the 2nd half of the season goes the same way as the first, then the lad needs to push for a move away. You cannot tell me that this lad is worse than McTom
I hope not as he's a decent player. We need players of his quality in the squad. We can't complain about squad tiredness whilst refusing to use our squad.

croadyman

I hope not as he's a decent player. We need players of his quality in the squad. We can't complain about squad tiredness whilst refusing to use our squad.
Yeah he is and just a pity Ole is blind to that most of the time

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Incredible how short term football fans are now.

He's half a season into a new league and has looked 'ok' whenever he has had minutes.

He wont be 'looking for a move' or any such nonsense.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Incredible how short term football fans are now.

He's half a season into a new league and has looked 'ok' whenever he has had minutes.

He wont be 'looking for a move' or any such nonsense.
He's certainly not been used fairly that's for sure. He deserves more minutes than he's had. It's not like he's a 18 year old kid either! this guys played in a CL semi final and beaten the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus along the way.

But sure he's not good enough to get more than 5 minutes against City :houllier:

united for life

He's certainly not been used fairly that's for sure. He deserves more minutes than he's had. It's not like he's a 18 year old kid either! this guys played in a CL semi final and beaten the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus along the way.

But sure he's not good enough to get more than 5 minutes against City :houllier:
i found it weird to keep him till the 85th minute on the bench. I would understand making late substitution or not making them at all when the bench is weak (this happened several times last year). But a player like VDB is someone who is experienced at a young age. Not only he beat teams like Juve and Madrid like you said, he was an integral part and a key factor for winning those games.

i can’t find any reason for him not playing other than poor turnouts in training sessions.

Adam-Utd

i found it weird to keep him till the 85th minute on the bench. I would understand making late substitution or not making them at all when the bench is weak (this happened several times last year). But a player like VDB is someone who is experienced at a young age. Not only he beat teams like Juve and Madrid like you said, he was an integral part and a key factor for winning those games.

i can’t find any reason for him not playing other than poor turnouts in training sessions.
Exactly, we had 5 subs to use also!

We knew we were chasing the game, I get that Ole didn't want to ruin the balance maybe but It's not like any of our attackers were having good games, he must think DVB is rubbish if he doesn't think he can effect the match at all.

As soon as they went 2-0 he threw him on like "oh well the games gone now, might as well rest some legs". No wonder he feels like he wants to leave.

Compare his joy when he signed and that Ole had told him how he would personally be involved - I wonder what lies he spun him :lol:

I don't get all this "he'll be ready next year" talk either. You don't get better by not playing. He will probably leave in the summer.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Always seemed like a weird signing. How to fit him in a team already stacked with CMs? Turns out we can’t. Surely that money could have been better spent?
You say that, but the guy does appear to be pretty versatile. There have certainly been many occasions where he could've played in front of any number of players. The thing is, I think he could play in the number 10 or even further back. He could also play as a CM, but equally would be quite efficient on the wings, IMO.

If Juan Mata can play on the right-wing, I'm pretty damn sure Donny can play out there and be just as good. Basically what I'm saying is, is that there's definitely room in this team for a player like him but for whatever reason he's not getting the minutes. It's very bizarre.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Know some people will laugh but seems Ole is taking out his frustration on not getting Grealish last summer on Donny
I personally don't think that is the case at all, but maybe it is. And if it is, that's some piss poor management. That's Jose level pettiness.

dev1l

I think Donny will feature more in the second part of the season.

Revaulx

Whether he’s good enough or not I have no idea. The one time he played as a direct swap for Bruno he looked pretty hopeless, but he’s looked useful when he’s had brief outings in a more box to box role.

The problem is I just don’t see where he fits in as a starter in Ole’s favoured system; a system that’s been used to largely good effect and taken us to the dizzying heights of joint top of the league. Ole isn’t an idiot and his man management has generally been acknowledged as very good; the notion that he’s got some vindictive grudge against Donny is absurd. I also struggle to believe that he would targeted him as a signing while knowing that he wasn’t “his” type of player.

So what is it then? Has he been massively disappointing in training and failed to meet expectations? Or did Edwin call Ed and tell him what a good idea it would be to sign Donny for £45m, and Ed went ahead without consulting Ole?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He played as a great second striker type player for Ajax who would end up at the box and poach in goals.

I wonder if we ever get to see that player.

I dont think the CM version of him is the best version of him and I personally think the goal scoring version of him we saw in the CL is the main man.

I reckon we will see Diallo in the first team more than van de Beek.

Real Name

Come on guys, don't make things up. Ole not playing him cause he wants to give a message sounds and is ridiculous.

Redo91

Van de Beek is to Ole what Zaha was to Moyes it seems! Everything Bruno touched last night turned to s**t. Should have replacedhim with VDB early in the 2nd half but instead waits til 85th minute and then brings him on out of position. How’s he meant to impress?

luke511

How's that?
Does it need explaining? Brought on with 2 minutes of normal time left and the game already lost, his first appearance in the last 3 games. That would piss anyone off.
Bruno (league) minutes = 1304
McTominay minutes = 921
Fred minutes = 915
Pogba minutes = 859
Matic minutes = 550
VDB minutes = 253

In a season where the whole midfield's getting rotated fairly apart VDB, it's bad man management. His morale and confidence will probably be at a career low.

tomaldinho1

Sure. It's very possible that there's some sort of Ole vs Woodsplat political issue going on.

EDIT: The last two major times Woodpulp stuck his oar in, we got Bruno six months late and lost out on Haaland. If I'm Ole and or in Ole's camp and vdB was a Woodmulch signing, it's a major headache.
We know Ole personally convinced VDB to come so there's no way he's not an Ole signing. Woodward doesn't make signings for the club, I don't understand why this myth hasn't died yet.

It's pretty logical that he has been bought because Pogba is leaving and he's a midfielder who covers numerous positions. I do understand Pogba playing because we obviously want to do well but I think Donny should have had a lot more game time, particularly in games like yesterday which aren't, let's face it, that important compared to the PL or CL.

Bwuk

Needs to take his chances when he gets them.

He could do with a top class performance vs Watford.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Does it need explaining? Brought on with 2 minutes of normal time left and the game already lost, his first appearance in the last 3 games. That would piss anyone off.
Bruno (league) minutes = 1304
McTominay minutes = 921
Fred minutes = 915
Pogba minutes = 859
Matic minutes = 550
VDB minutes = 253

In a season where the whole midfield's getting rotated fairly apart VDB, it's bad man management. His morale and confidence will probably be at a career low.
Or Ole sees him in training and they don't feel he's ready and worry that by playing him it puts him in the public eye as a flop like Havertz. If that's the case then Ole is actually protecting him

All you know is from what you've seen in the limited game time the lads had, you have no idea what's going on on the training field (and nor do I)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
he will get his chances.

He needs to wait. if he doesn’t like that, then feck off, he won’t be missed. Seems like Dutch people have a massive dildo up their arse about this.
Oi, not all of us, I happen to think he's just not good enough. Utd bought the consolation prize.

luke511

Or Ole sees him in training and they don't feel he's ready and worry that by playing him it puts him in the public eye as a flop like Havertz. If that's the case then Ole is actually protecting him

All you know is from what you've seen in the limited game time the lads had, you have no idea what's going on on the training field (and nor do I)
He played well every time he featured for us up until the last 2 or 3 appearances off the bench, which was probably down to a lack of game time. He didn't seem like a player that needed protecting from being a flop.

welshwingwizard

I see if like this too. Probably just like it took an age for us to see Fred get a proper run he probably doesn't think he is ready.

tjb

Tbh we didnt really have a preseason to acclimatize him. He may be struggling on the training ground

RuudTom83

It’s hard for fans to judge him because none of us know what his role in the team is!
Once Ole and the coaching staff figure it out then we might see him starting a few games.

Bojan11

Van de Beek is to Ole what Zaha was to Moyes it seems! Everything Bruno touched last night turned to s**t. Should have replacedhim with VDB early in the 2nd half but instead waits til 85th minute and then brings him on out of position. How’s he meant to impress?
Bruno has been shit before and yet pops up with goal or assist. You never take him off.

It was Fred or McTominay who needed to be replaced.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Does Ole have a daughter?

wolvored

Perhaps Ole has told him he bought him to take Pogbas place and to hold fire until next season. Thats the only explanation that sounds logical to me. Otherwise if I was VDB I would be having a conversation when these games are coming from he was promised and if given no definite answer would ask to be sold. Hes a full international and cant waste his time sitting on a bench and having the piss taken being brought on in the 87th minute.

He'sRaldo

Last season Ole also didn't use Fred until we had a midfield injury crisis and he was forced to stick with him.

This season I wouldn't be surprised to see Donny be sparingly throughout the whole season, because even if we have an injury or two to our CM's, we still have a lot of cover unlike before.

Marcus

Donny is nailed on to play against Watford. This is the exact type of game to use our squad players. Hope he has a great game.

RedDevil@84

I don't understand all this talk about he should ask to be sold. No one does that first year. You put your head down and earn the spots.

Besides I don't really think VdB can replace Fred or McT. That seems to be too much of a deep lying position for his comfort. Also Fred and McT are defensive covers. VdB does not seem to play that role.

So he is really just competing with Bruno and Pogba. Bruno is a nailed on starter. It is almost impossible for him to replace Bruno at this moment. Pogba already does not start every game and he is starting only when we specifically want some Pogba things.

So if this guy is that good, maybe he can show it in training and force Ole to form his tactics that could include him and Bruno in the team.

croadyman

Last season Ole also didn't use Fred until we had a midfield injury crisis and he was forced to stick with him.

This season I wouldn't be surprised to see Donny be sparingly throughout the whole season, because even if we have an injury or two to our CM's, we still have a lot of cover unlike before.
I would want Grealish as Pogba's replacement but still think there should be opportunities for Donny as well

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We just need to stop moaning and wait until this December. Donny will get his opportunity next season, he might end up nailing a starting spot next season. He’s adapting with new league, new teammate and different playing style. Look at Werner & Havertz are struggling as they might need time to adapt to new things.

Judas

Open to offers
Better start tomorrow, and I hope for his sake he's the best player on the pitch. Actually put in a performance to match some of the hysteria and commotion about him not playing and make it a bit more valid.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Donny is nailed on to play against Watford. This is the exact type of game to use our squad players. Hope he has a great game.
If he doesn't then it's clear there's an issue behind the scenes.

If he can't trust a 40m signing against Watford at home then when will he ever?

tjb

I don't understand all this talk about he should ask to be sold. No one does that first year. You put your head down and earn the spots.

Besides I don't really think VdB can replace Fred or McT. That seems to be too much of a deep lying position for his comfort. Also Fred and McT are defensive covers. VdB does not seem to play that role.

So he is really just competing with Bruno and Pogba. Bruno is a nailed on starter. It is almost impossible for him to replace Bruno at this moment. Pogba already does not start every game and he is starting only when we specifically want some Pogba things.

So if this guy is that good, maybe he can show it in training and force Ole to form his tactics that could include him and Bruno in the team.
I think Ole is adapting him to a new role. He's never going to play his position in the Premker League and the way in which central midfielders play in England is different to what he's used to. Remember, we didnt have a preseason to acclimatize him to any role.

Status
Not open for further replies.