5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Donny has every right to be pissed off right now and if it takes the dutch journos to highlight it then so be it

Redlyn

Just looking at the squad is enough to tell you there are no guarantees of being a starter here. Maybe he assumed by now he'd have more minutes even as a squad option, and that's understandable, but he needs to be patient. Bid your time and seize the moment. Play out the season, see how it goes and then talk to the club over the summer about the minutes. Now if this time next year nothing changes then he can be pissed off and push for a solution or way out. Look no further than Fred to see what growing into the team looks like.

A-man

I would be a little pissed off I were him. But that's the risk a young player takes when he moves to a big club. He knew he was competing with Bruno and Pogba, and now Fred and McT have both performed well, it'll be tough to get minutes but I'm convinced he will be valuable within 2 years.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's almost like people have learnt nothing from the recent experiences of players like Fred and Lindelof who hardly played in their first seasons after coming from a foreign and much weaker league, but are now integral parts of our starting eleven.

Give it time, I'm sure Donny will become an integral player as well. Both he and the fans need to remain patient.

poleglass red

I'd hope to see him start v Watford, at the very least to give Bruno a break, he's looked shattered in last few games.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Tbh it's great we're not devastated by injuries in midfield... Knowing our every year's luck, he'll be forced to play and a lot sooner or later.

lex talionis

It's almost like people have learnt nothing from the recent experiences of players like Fred and Lindelof who hardly played in their first seasons after coming from a foreign and much weaker league, but are now integral parts of our starting eleven.

Give it time, I'm sure Donny will become an integral player as well. Both he and the fans need to remain patient.
It’s hard to be patient if you’re Donny. As club supporters, we’re all thrilled and amazed at where we are in the table, but is it not true that we’re seeing clearly inferior players — James and McTominay — getting a lot more quality minutes than Van de Beek?

Donny has and should remain quiet publicly, but he would be a fool to not activate his agent to begin looking into potential interest from Barcelona and Real, both clubs that were reported to have been interested in Donny last summer. As a 23 year old footballer with Ajax and Netherlands credentials, he can’t allow himself to rot on the bench of Manchester United.

But let’s all be patient and see where things are in May.

lost7

“I’ve answered this question so many times,” the manager emphasised.
“There are so many examples of players needing a little bit of time – quality players. We have many players ourselves and there are other clubs with examples. Sometimes it takes time. You don’t expect people who care for him to be quiet at times, especially when they want the best for them.
“Donny is going to play tomorrow. There’s another chance for him. Yes, I've spoken to him and reiterated and made him aware how much we rate him. But he'll play tomorrow, and that's a good chance to kick on.”

Seems to me like Ole's handling the situation well. To me it feels like some of you are just a little too obsessed with VdB. He's definitely a quality player and for sure he deserves more chances to play (which he will undoubtedly get in the future), but Ole not giving him more minutes at the moment is not a crime. Clearly his main position is number 10 and we have a certain Bruno playing there who
1. is currently the best player in the league and
2. wants to play every game.

Yes, it must be tough for him not to be featuring more, but this will always happen when you're at a big club. He probably wouldn't be getting a lot more minutes right away if he had gone to Real Madrid or Barcelona either.... His job should be to work hard in training and deliver when he's got a chance to do so. Tomorrow will be an opportunity for him to impress and I really hope he does

croadyman

Tbh it's great we're not devastated by injuries in midfield... Knowing our every year's luck, he'll be forced to play and a lot sooner or later.
Yeah think if we have had you would have seen us push for a CM/DM in this window but depending on who was injured

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Better start tomorrow, and I hope for his sake he's the best player on the pitch. Actually put in a performance to match some of the hysteria and commotion about him not playing and make it a bit more valid.
The problem is that he will almost certainly be playing as the #10, a position he's struggled in so far for us. His better performances have tended to come as one of the side players in a diamond, or perhaps the match he played in a midfield two with Fred next to him (although that was against a weak team).

Hopefully he does do well though as we really do need to have the option to rest Bruno more than we do. We're relying on him stepping up so we can do that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ole says he will start - but now all eyes are on him and unless he has a Fernandes style impact he’ll get dropped for weeks again.

I hope they play him in CM rather than a 10.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If we want to do well this season, then I feel he'll have to hit form. At times we've looked toothless with our strongest eleven and we fail to bring anyone off the bench to make an impact. Hopefully Watford will give him the boost he needs. We need players like him to start to boogie during the run ins.

sillwuka

I know it's difficult when you play 1/5 games but he has to take his chance and show Ole why he should be picked more.

Need to see more invention and influence today.

Adam-Utd

I know it's difficult when you play 1/5 games but he has to take his chance and show Ole why he should be picked more.

Need to see more invention and influence today.
I think we have to realise he’s come from a place where team structure was number 1. Passing and moving was how you made goals, not individual brilliance.

it seems ole wants to see more individual brilliance from him - this will take him time to be more selfish.

people complain about him passing backwards or sideways but that’s exactly how Ajax would progress the ball, quick passes and DVB would run up the pitch into a better position.

his actual ability can’t be questioned though.

sillwuka

I think we have to realise he’s come from a place where team structure was number 1. Passing and moving was how you made goals, not individual brilliance.

it seems ole wants to see more individual brilliance from him - this will take him time to be more selfish.

people complain about him passing backwards or sideways but that’s exactly how Ajax would progress the ball, quick passes and DVB would run up the pitch into a better position.

Very good point, I guess this is where he and the club need to be patient as he adapts to our style of play.

I don't doubt his ability to keep the ball ticking with quick accurate passing, you can tell he's a product of the Ajax academy. It does remain to be seen if he will provide what Ole is looking for in the middle of the park though.

flappyjay

I prefer him playing that same position as Fred and mctominay he has the energy and can put in a tackle. As a 10 he reminds of Mata, he is the anti Bruno.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Ole says he will start - but now all eyes are on him and unless he has a Fernandes style impact he’ll get dropped for weeks again.

I hope they play him in CM rather than a 10.
Agree he’s shown far more in that CM role than higher up the pitch.

Adam-Utd

Agree he’s shown far more in that CM role than higher up the pitch.
I think his natural style of play suits that role more, his idea of the 10 role is almost the polar opposite of Bruno and doesn’t really work with how our team is setup to play. Ole obviously doesn’t like that either which is why he hasn’t played as much.

for me though he’s looked good in the 8 position, he moves the ball quickly and works hard constantly moving. I was hoping we’d see him and Fred again together.

UmbroDays

Everton in the Carabao, but I can see why that performance didn't live long in the memory.
:lol:

It’s such a shame as he was my favourite Ajax player for the past few years. I hope this whole saga doesn’t sour his mind and I hope he performs today.

Would like to see him and Mata today.

Adamsk7

As much as I don’t think there’s anything going on and he’s just being left out on form or what he’s doing in training, if he doesn’t play today from the start then I will begin to think my opinion might be wrong!
hope he plays and does well.

Ash_G

I agree, I don't think there's necessarily issues with his ability but potentially with his suitability to our attack right now which as you say seems to be more about individual moments which doesn't naturally suit his game. I think there is a bit on him to adapt his game to try and be more directly impactful but also hopefully we've also got a plan for how we will utilise the strengths he already has in the long term. I do personally want to see him given a go in midfield as whilst he might not be a long term solution there I think it could be worth trying.

I hope that we do send out a well balanced team today and he does play. Over the past few years I think we've had quite a disjointed squad made up of players who weren't quite good enough and/or didn't suit playing together and it meant that it was hard for certain players e.g. Mata who could make a difference in the team, to really play their way in. For example if we played an attack with lingard, James and VDB I don't think VDB would really be able to show what he can do.

NinjaFletch

:lol:

It’s such a shame as he was my favourite Ajax player for the past few years. I hope this whole saga doesn’t sour his mind and I hope he performs today.

Would like to see him and Mata today.
I really don't think there's too much going on. We've been pretty lucky with injuries and he hasn't played particularly well when he has started to push out better performers. I'd by lying if I said I wasn't having Kagawa and Mkhitaryan flashbacks, but he'll get his chance.

I'd be amazed if he didn't start today.

Camilo

He's a flop, a has-been, an also-ran. Should offload to Hibs in April.

Zhagzi

I think the main problem for Donny is everytime he gets a chance, he's playing with the B-team, where first touches, vision and overall team play is like a freaking city in Russia (not existing). How's he gonna perform if his passing isn't ending up with players who can make it work?

It's hard to imagine Donny would have signed for us if he was told how limited his game time would be.

Without seeing more of him it's impossible for us to know if he's a good fit for United. Either way, it feels like he's been screwed over by the club.

Polar

Don’t know why fans are or VDB should be “pissed of”. He has been here for only 5-6 months.

Neither we or VDB are in a hurry. We’ll all benefit from being patient, including VDB himself. Next season he will probably be glad Ole gave him a smooth start and removed some of the pressure from his shoulders.

It’s probably clever with a step by step approach in order to develop VDB to be a key player at United. His time will come, and I think he potentially can be a great player for United.

Last edited:

Jev

I prefer him playing that same position as Fred and mctominay he has the energy and can put in a tackle. As a 10 he reminds of Mata, he is the anti Bruno.
I don't see any similarities between him and Mata to be honest. Mata is a classic no. 10 who creates, controls the pace and directs play. We haven't seen that at all from VDB. He seems like the sort of no. 10 who's not that involved in the build-up play but ghosts into the box and gets into goalscoring positions. More akin to Lampard than Mata.

flappyjay

I don't see any similarities between him and Mata to be honest. Mata is a classic no. 10 who creates, controls the pace and directs play. We haven't seen that at all from VDB. He seems like the sort of no. 10 who's not that involved in the build-up play but ghosts into the box and gets into goalscoring positions. More akin to Lampard than Mata.
Similarities to Mata I meant how they both take the safe pass. Donny I not a risk taker same as Juan.

Adam-Utd

Don’t know why fans are or VDB should be “pissed of”. He has been here for only 5-6 months.

Neither we or VDB are in a hurry. We’ll all benefit from being patient, including VDB himself. Next season he will probably be glad Ole gave him a smooth start and removed some of the pressure from his shoulders.

It’s probably clever with a step by step approach in order to develop VDB to be a key player at United. His time will come, and I think he potentially can be a United legend.
I’m not sure about that. He played more at the start and now he’s hardly had a look in.

there’s more pressure on him now than there ever was before! He pretty much has to be amazing or he’ll be deemed not good enough again.

Adam-Utd

He’s playing CM next to Scott so hope to see him dictate the game for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.