Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Very good Yesterday, looked a couple of levels above most of his teammates, both in football intelligence and Technique

OldTrevil

It sounds like he looked good both deeper in midfield and further forward. It'll be interesting how Ole sets up his midfield. With Pogba, Fred, VdB, Bruno, McT and Matic, we should now have enough to dominate the middle and create chances against almost all teams we'll come against.

-Supreme-

No he really just needs to stay out of that double pivot role. He needs to be paired with Marital no one else. If you need someone to pivot when VDB is playing drop Bruno there. Not the other way round.
He has the attributes to play in both positions effectively, it's far premature to say anything with certainty that he could only play in one position IMO, particularly for his age and circumstances to adjust in a new team / system and league.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No he really just needs to stay out of that double pivot role. He needs to be paired with Marital no one else. If you need someone to pivot when VDB is playing drop Bruno there. Not the other way round.
Not for me, I prefer bruno higher.

not sure he’s ever played deeper in a double pivot at all?

bruno is best closest to the goal not further away.

Mainoldo

Not for me, I prefer bruno higher.

not sure he’s ever played deeper in a double pivot at all?

bruno is best closest to the goal not further away.
We are the only team to use Bruno as a number 10. I’m sure he’ll be fine. Just a simple tactical adjustment. VDB has spent two years being a support striker from the midfield. I don’t see why we would want to change that.

Mainoldo

He has the attributes to play in both positions effectively, it's far premature to say anything with certainty that he could only play in one position IMO, particularly for his age and circumstances to adjust in a new team / system and league.
Im not assuming anything. I’m telling you that’s how he plays. Forget his attributes just use him how he’s meant to be used. So far in one game we’ve done exactly that. I don’t see why others want to change him.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Looked great and played in a position that fits perfectly with Pogba and Bruno.

Our acquisition of Bruno and Donny for the same amount which was quoted for Grealish is probably the best deal we have done since Ronaldo

flappyjay

It would be dangerous have a risk taker like Bruno in the double pivot

Blood Mage

No doubts this guy will be a starter for us. Maybe not right off the bat, but I am sure he will become a starter. It's just about finding the system/set up to accommodate him Pogba and Bruno
I don't see how we accommodate the three of them without playing a midfield diamond, but maybe that's why we're looking at signing an attacking LB. Sticking Pogba in a two-man midfield next to a player as adventurous as he is will never work out.

-Supreme-

Im not assuming anything. I’m telling you that’s how he plays. Forget his attributes just use him how he’s meant to be used. So far in one game we’ve done exactly that. I don’t see why others want to change him.
Not sure if you have watched the full game yesterday but he played in the double pivot role in the first half until McT came off and Fosu-Mensah switched to DM, and I seem to recall he played in the deeper position and no.10 for Ajax as well.

Stadjer

Not sure if you have watched the full game yesterday but he played in the double pivot role in the first half until McT came off and Fosu-Mensah switched to DM, and I seem to recall he played in the deeper position and no.10 for Ajax as well.
He can play all midfield positions and he did that at Ajax when needed. When Frenkie left Ajax some people claimed that Donny would be able to fill in the Frenkie role without issue.

I think his main qualities are further forward though. He can find the space and makes very well timed runs into the box or attacking positions. When arrived at those positions he has the technical ability and vision do something good most of the time. He is also more than capable to make smart runs to create space for other players.

He will be a nice addition to the midfield.

-Supreme-

He can play all midfield positions and he did that at Ajax when needed. When Frenkie left Ajax some people claimed that Donny would be able to fill in the Frenkie role without issue.

I think his main qualities are further forward though. He can find the space and makes very well timed runs into the box or attacking positions. When arrived at those positions he has the technical ability and vision do something good most of the time. He is also more than capable to make smart runs to create space for other players.

He will be a nice addition to the midfield.
Yep and I agree.

Playing in the double pivot will allow him to get into forward positions as well if his CM partner is defensively disciplined, hence why I don't think him and Pogba would work well together, perhaps against teams where we expect to dominate at home.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Funny how this guy went from "meh" and "why are we buying someone to sit on the bench" etc with some folks to "zomg he s amazing we need to slot him into the starting lineup immediately".

yan man utd

I def agree with both of you
Couple of points to make...
....as suggested I think bruno should drop back because he has the energy and defensive attributes plus he is basically our best play maker so he should get the ball earlier

dvb looks great - the ultimate question is how good is he in tight situations/ spaces
James (Everton) has just been complimented on this on bbc re tight spaces. Can you imagine if we could convert Pogba to a hard working DM and then have Donny and Bruno all
Alternating but with Pogba collecting from
Defence?

point is that Bruno works his socks off and tracks back. Let’s break dvb in gently but they should all defend and attack anyway/ tactically unpredictable and all 3 potentially brilliant against the press, possession and against a deep defence

Mainoldo

I didn’t you know I only watched the second half. But I’ve heard the Ajax point too and was also told he played 6 when he first broke into the team.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Because many of football fans have been brainwashed by videogames (and even in them you still need to rotate a little) where you get to play your first 11 all the time. It's a squad game more than anything else
But most top teams have a defined first XI that will play the majority of league & CL games. In lesser matches or when #1 or #2 has been secured in the group stages, the players get rotated.

dev1l

But most top teams have a defined first XI that will play the majority of league & CL games. In lesser matches or when #1 or #2 has been secured in the group stages, the players get rotated.
For us it s very difficult to play same XI this year with such a hectic schedule - playing twice a week.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
I'd go in with a 4- 2 -2 -2 system in a few games.

Rashford Martial
Bruno. VDB
Matic. Pogba

Defence

We might lose some width but the interchange would be brilliant

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I'd go in with a 4- 2 -2 -2 system in a few games.

Rashford Martial
Bruno. VDB
Matic. Pogba

Defence

We might lose some width but the interchange would be brilliant
And to think a year or two ago we all thought our midfield was shite. Obviously VDB still needs to prove himself but i have a lot of hope between him and Bruno Pogba will continue to get more ability to float around as well.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I wish English coaches would coach young midfielders like the Dutch that coached Donny. The way they shape their body for a first touch, the proximity and tightness of ball control, the sharp and low passing technique and the manipulation of space around you. He looks like a proper midfielder. Excited to see him operate with other great midfielders Pogba and Bruno.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Looked great and played in a position that fits perfectly with Pogba and Bruno.

Our acquisition of Bruno and Donny for the same amount which was quoted for Grealish is probably the best deal we have done since Ronaldo
Where did VDB play against Villa? How will we line up with Bruno and VDB, or are they competing for one spot?

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
The collective squad's game intelligence has been raised with the last few signings. Good. For that alone me gonna go #ole_in

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Funny how this guy went from "meh" and "why are we buying someone to sit on the bench" etc with some folks to "zomg he s amazing we need to slot him into the starting lineup immediately".
Do you remember people questioned his technical abilities before we even signed him and after one game that seems to have changed as well :drool:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That is, if all players are fit and are playing well otherwise having options is the best thing for us. No one should feel safe and comfortable.
It's about balance, playing with the same 11 will hurt us, our players are very fragile, don't forget about that

MattyB1986

I like this idea - possession!
You could split those forwards sometimes to LF/RF and have Bruno and VDB switching a false 9 type role, both good at runs into the box it appears. And also, straight plays through the middle exploiting the pace. Not a bad set-up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Where did VDB play against Villa? How will we line up with Bruno and VDB, or are they competing for one spot?
He played in a midfield 2 with Scott Mctominay in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

He was the more attacking of the 2, whenever we got the ball wide he got into the box asap or sat in the channel between the fullback/centre back. Played very well.

2nd half Mctominay got subbed and Galbraith took his place. We weren't quite as dominant until the 60th or so, then he moved to the CAM position with Fosu Mensah going into midfield.

He had some lovely touches and linked the play up well.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He played in a midfield 2 with Scott Mctominay in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

He was the more attacking of the 2, whenever we got the ball wide he got into the box asap or sat in the channel between the fullback/centre back. Played very well.

2nd half Mctominay got subbed and Galbraith took his place. We weren't quite as dominant until the 60th or so, then he moved to the CAM position with Fosu Mensah going into midfield.

He had some lovely touches and linked the play up well.
Thanks, sounds promising

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Thought as much from watching his highlights video. This kind of versatility means he will play loads of games and be very helpful in Champions league and cup games when we need to rotate.

if we can just get Sancho and a suitable CB then I think we are set for 80+ points.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thought as much from watching his highlights video. This kind of versatility means he will play loads of games and be very helpful in Champions league and cup games when we need to rotate.

if we can just get Sancho and a suitable CB then I think we are set for 80+ points.
True. It just feels that we're a couple of first XI (and maybe a few good squad players like vdB) away to be back as top team. If only..

Status
Not open for further replies.