Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So for all those who want to change formations to accommodate VDB, what would you prefer?

Us playing McFred and somehow managing a title race or change formation to play VDB and lose a few games because we are poor defensively but play better football?
Why does Mctominay need to play every match? some games against teams that will sit back in a low block he's pretty ineffective. Could we honestly say VDB wouldn't have played as well against Villa?

I'd rather have DVB helping to link up and create in that situation - obviously against better teams where we require more defensive stability then yes go back to mctominay.

romufc

Why does Mctominay need to play every match? some games against teams that will sit back in a low block he's pretty ineffective. Could we honestly say VDB wouldn't have played as well against Villa?

I'd rather have DVB helping to link up and create in that situation - obviously against better teams where we require more defensive stability then yes go back to mctominay.
He doesn't need to play every match, I agree. I can say VDB would not have played as well against Villa because McTominay's job in that game was to get close to Grealish, he was there to stop him.

Donny would not do that job. He cannot cover defensively as well as McTominay.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for us to find a position for VDB because the one thing we lack in this team is keeping hold of possession and he is probably the best in the squad for that.

Every single game we play, our midfield and forwards give the ball away so cheaply, its a joke, Donny protects the ball and gets out of the press better than any player in our squad.

Its frustrating watching Bruno, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Fred, McTominay when we are 1-0 up and they make silly decisions, they are all rubbish when it comes to keeping hold of the football in crucial parts of the games.

b20times

Feel sorry for the lad. He's not getting game time and it looks like 40m wasted. Thank god we didn't pay 80m for him as quoted by sky sports news who said that's his worth and we got a great deal for the one of the best midfielders in the world unquote.
If Scott Mac is starting before him then he's got problems.

Redlyn

How can there be a rumour that he moaned to the press? (And how come you're the only one that knows it?) Did some journalist write negatively about his treatment at United?
There is a lot of talk coming from Dutch camp. Every man and his dog has something to say about him currently. Even LVG saying he shouldn't have joined. He apparently stopped giving any interviews to Dutch press just to avoid the negativity.

Zhagzi

Everyone likes to pass and move.
Not in this team I tell you. One of the many good reasons Bruno is so good is that he's constantly moving about. Sure Ole might have loosened the strategic rope on him a little more than others, but even within the same area he passes and then moves to be able to receive the ball once more. Leeds were outstanding at this against us - and basically most other teams in the Prem this season. They move so much for each other, which is something we really really could use more of.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There is a lot of talk coming from Dutch camp. Every man and his dog has something to say about him currently. Even LVG saying he shouldn't have joined. He apparently stopped giving any interviews to Dutch press just to avoid the negativity.
I see. But is this the other way round then? That Dutch media and pundits are negative (understandably, but anyway), and Van de Beek is trying to stay away from it?

Danillaco

You'll see him at his strongest behind Bruno. Press resistant player that moves the ball from defence to attack at a quicker pace and more accurately than the other deep midfielders. The 4 attackers ahead of him can do the more adventurous stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing Fred, DVB and Fernandes play together as a 3 again, I can't believe it hasn't been used since Basaksehir got thrashed at Old Trafford.
I keep hoping for the day we see those 3, with Martial, Cavani and Rashford.

Bailly at the back and we are golden.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
What is the whisper in the camp? What does he himself think about being a sub?

romufc

Its quote funny to see Frank De Boer making comments on Donny when he doesnt play him as first choice either...

Adam-Utd

Hope he starts tonight alongside Fred
Unfortunately being Burnley it'll be land of the giants.

Expect Matic or Mctominay, and that's fair enough as they're a long ball team.

I'd want to see Donny as the first sub though if the game isn't going well.

MetoTTT

Unfortunately being Burnley it'll be land of the giants.

Expect Matic or Mctominay, and that's fair enough as they're a long ball team.

I'd want to see Donny as the first sub though if the game isn't going well.
This logic...just because they will play long balls we should put big guys on the pitch? Still wondering how Bercelona and Spain have won so many titles on the late.

Adam-Utd

This logic...just because they will play long balls we should put big guys on the pitch? Still wondering how Bercelona and Spain have won so many titles on the late.
This is England mate - things work differently here.

We will 100% play one our bigger players i'm certain of that.

I'm not saying that's what "I" would choose, but Ole and coaches will. Burnley are literally a knock it long to the 2 big men, or cross it team. You'd be foolish not to play bigger players if you've got them.

MetoTTT

I'm not saying that's what "I" would choose, but Ole and coaches will.
I know but he's capable to bring back Lindelof too for this game so...instead of playing Eric/Axel with Harry (he said he'll start already...one yellow away to miss the liverpool game) and play high line.

luke511

Hope He doesn’t
He has.not done anything to be picked in a game like this
His time will come if he is good enough
The prospect of being paired up against Westwood and Brownhill too much for Van de Beek? I very much doubt it. If anything we need VDB in that double pivot to match their quick press with quick movement and passing.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
It's getting a bit repetitive. But if he wants to have any chance at going to the European Championship he has to leave ASAP. Ole clearly doesn't like him and the results are good, so there's no need for Ole to use him.
Even being the statistically best player against Watford didn't help him, there's nothing more he can do now, other than leave. He should never been bought. Such a waste of money and his career.

lost7

It's getting a bit repetitive. But if he wants to have any chance at going to the European Championship he has to leave ASAP. Ole clearly doesn't like him and the results are good, so there's no need for Ole to use him.
Even being the statistically best player against Watford didn't help him, there's nothing more he can do now, other than leave. He should never been bought. Such a waste of money and his career.
I'm sorry, but this was not the game for VdB. Burnley are up there as the most physical team in the league and I feel like they would have bullied Donny out of the game. He'll get his chances to shine (in particular once we start europa league games), but at the moment you can't mess around with a winning formula in midfield when there may a title on the line

croadyman

I'm sorry, but this was not the game for VdB. Burnley are up there as the most physical team in the league and I feel like they would have bullied Donny out of the game. He'll get his chances to shine (in particular once we start europa league games), but at the moment you can't mess around with a winning formula in midfield when there may a title on the line
Yeah I would completely agree with that

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
That may be, but for Ole it's never the game for VdB.

Oh we're ahead, lets bring on a more defensive midfielder.

Oh we're behind, lets substitute attackers for attackers instead of bringing a more attacking midfielder and hope that one of those new attackers has a moment of brilliance.

He's never going to go for a midfielder who can help streamline an attack or relieve pressure from the opponents with his passing and movement. Instead he goes for new attackers or someone who can't pass a ball but can intercept really well.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He could be useful if we wanted to keep the ball for a while when Burnley come at us. I don't see a need for 3/4 forwards all the time when we're struggling to keep possession and every time we lose the ball opposition hoofs it and we shit ourselves.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm not sure why fans get frustrated with a certain player not getting a chance they think they deserve.

The results on the pitch say Ole and his coaching staff are getting the selection right. The question of certain players getting game time should only be raised once a player who is a regular started and is struggling and a better option is sitting on the bench.

I'm not sure why fans get frustrated with a certain player not getting a chance they think they deserve.

The results on the pitch say Ole and his coaching staff are getting the selection right. The question of certain players getting game time should only be raised once a player who is a regular started and is struggling and a better option is sitting on the bench.
It’s become an obsession for some people.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He could be useful if we wanted to keep the ball for a while when Burnley come at us. I don't see a need for 3/4 forwards all the time when we're struggling to keep possession and every time we lose the ball opposition hoofs it and we shit ourselves.
We kept the ball most of the second half. Its pretty standard for all teams to press in the last few minutes of a game when they have nothing to lose. This leaves openings for the forwards to kill the game. Unfortunately, Martial missed that chance.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
:lol: This is so over the top. If he’s injury free he will be in your squad.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax

yes the results are good, that's why he isn't changing and that's reasonable enough. But it's incredibly frustrating to see a player on the bench who you know is better than others who play. Even more so when the results are good, but the matches aren't. But that might just be because i'm Dutch and also an Ajax supporter. We tend to value good football almost as important as winning. I've watched almost all United matches this season(only 1 wasn't broadcasted here :( ). But most of the times it's not fun to watch unless you are real United supporter(Disclaimer: I'm not a real United fan, because United is my favourite foreign club, not my "main" club).

Reactions: Sultan

lex talionis

Most of us who see a quality footballer in VdB recognize that United are at the top of the table and when the manager keeps rolling boxcars, you stick with the manager. I'm an Ole In man and I stand by my man.

It's not hard to accept that Donny may have been brought in as an insurance policy in the event we sold Pogba. On some level, that's excellent long term squad planning. Every one of us recognizes that Bruno is the better player and that Pogba is the better player. Anyone who suggests otherwise is banworthy (just kidding!). No one could plausibly argue that Donny is superior to Matic as a DCM. On his day, Nemanja is very solid, sometimes inspiring. Donny is appropriately utilized as a squad player, but the concern that has been raised here is that he's been severely underused as a squad player.

The problem arises when we see Dan James, Scott McTominay and Fred get far more quality minutes than Donny, who is simply the superior footballer to all three. There are definitely spot situations where James, McTominay and Fred are the better option, but when all three are getting more quality minutes than Van de Bee it's not out of order to ask WTF?

@Terranova made some good points above. If we're ahead, Ole brings on a DM and when we're behind Ole brings on forwards who have been quite shite for most of this season instead of an attacking midfielder who knows how to unlock a packed back line and can score when the chance presents itself. But let's look ahead as we now have a 3 point on the defending champion with roughly half the season still ahead of us. Stand by Ole, but pray that if we're chasing a goal in the second half that he looks past Daniel James and brings on Donny Van de Beek, the vastly superior footballer and attacking threat.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
yes the results are good, that's why he isn't changing and that's reasonable enough. But it's incredibly frustrating to see a player on the bench who you know is better than others who play. Even more so when the results are good, but the matches aren't. But that might just be because i'm Dutch and also an Ajax supporter. We tend to value good football almost as important as winning. I've watched almost all United matches this season(only 1 wasn't broadcasted here :( ). But most of the times it's not fun to watch unless you are real United supporter(Disclaimer: I'm not a real United fan, because United is my favourite foreign club, not my "main" club).
I’m enjoying what I watched at United right now, may be you as Ajax fans have different taste, total football just not my taste unfortunately.

Donny himself couldn’t get regular spot in Dutch national team before he came here so I don’t expect him to get lot of minutes in here since United has more qualities than the current Dutch national team. Donny is in stage of adapting and learning, that’s why he not getting enough league games. I think what Ole is doing is to slowly integrate him to the team, he doesn’t want to rushing him like what Lampard is doing to Werner and Havertz.

The fact that he chose to play backward on the picture below instead of play for Rashford just shows you he has things to learn before getting more minutes, playing direct and risky is our philosophy. I’m sure he is capable in the future.

Last edited:

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I’m enjoying what I watched at United right now, may be you as Ajax fans have different taste, total football just not my taste unfortunately.

Donny himself couldn’t get regular spot in Dutch national team before he came here so I don’t expect him to get lot of minutes in here since United has more qualities than the current Dutch national team. Donny is in stage of adapting and learning, that’s why he not getting enough league games. I think what Ole is doing is to slowly integrate him to the team, he doesn’t want to rushing him like what Lampard is doing to Werner and Havertz.

The fact that he chose to play backward on the picture below instead of play for Rashford just shows you he has things to learn before getting more minutes, playing direct and risky is our philosophy. I’m sure he is capable in the future.
He's behind Wijnaldum and De Jong in the Dutch national team, that's a big difference with being behind Fred, McTominay and Matic.

Besides that one pass to Rashford, look at his compilations. He doesn't need to learn to play risky, that's something he already can do. He just doesn't want to make a mistake and get benched again. That's why he plays "safe", he knows that he doesn't get much chances, so when he plays he has to do everything right to even get some minutes in a game that's already over.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's behind Wijnaldum and De Jong in the Dutch national team, that's a big difference with being behind Fred, McTominay and Matic.

Besides that one pass to Rashford, look at his compilations. He doesn't need to learn to play risky, that's something he already can do. He just doesn't want to make a mistake and get benched again. That's why he plays "safe", he knows that he doesn't get much chances, so when he plays he has to do everything right to even get some minutes in a game that's already over.
Wrong. He was behind Marten de Roon under Koeman. Are you telling me that’s also big difference?

Here some fact: In 2018, VDB was on the bench 6x and starter 3x only. In 2019, VDB was on the bench 6x and starter 2x only. He was never regular starter. Don’t use Wijnaldum & De Jong as excuse to argument when there are others had put him on the bench.

We don’t play safe mate, that’s why he needs to play risky if he wants to play more. This is what Manchester United all about.

acnumber9

That's why he plays "safe", he knows that he doesn't get much chances, so when he plays he has to do everything right to even get some minutes in a game that's already over.
That would make him an idiot. If he wants minutes he has to impact games the way his competition does.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Agreed, that example you showed is a really good example where he needs to be more expansive here. He moves the ball quickly, but who cares if you can't make a pass like the one shown.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
A this point I am not exactly sure if "playing safe" is down to his lack of confidence or simply instructions.
See Pogba playing safe in most games in double pivot, but becoming more adventurous against Burnley or as one of two AMs in 4-2-2-2.

fergie_god

He's not better then Fred/Bruno/Pogba which are the positions he would come in as. People want him to play at #10 but Bruno is too important and Fred plays much better with Mctominay and Pogba plays better with Matic in the double pivot positions. He just has to be patient and wait for one of those 3 to suffer a dip in form and capitalize. Hes not as good defensively as Fred and not as good offensively as Pogba. Its all nice and good when you dont make any mistakes and keep the flow of the game ticking but he hasn't been showing enough offensively to be given more playing time.

He has some improving to do in terms of being a Utd player rather than an Ajax player (stylistically). We need him to be a bit more direct and take more aggressive passes and positions. I don't think we've seen him take a single shot outside of the box or played enough passes to put the strikers through on goal. I know Ajax fans say that he is fully capable of this but we have yet to really see it from him at Utd. This could be due to him feeling pressure to not make mistakes but if you want to start at Utd consistently you can't have that type of mentality and needs to be more aggressive.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
My Feyenoord heart can't help but cackle at the dismay of all these precious Ajax fans lamenting the destruction of their fallen angel Donny van de Beek.

He's bang average. A poor man's Dirk Kuyt. He should be happy to even be under contract at one of the biggest clubs in world football and Marc Overmars is a genious.

edit: I think I misspelled genius. I stand by my statement though.

Status
Not open for further replies.