Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Now you're just making shit up. Jog on son
Clearly you don't know that playmaker and box to box can play in double pivot and very clear to me that you don't even know the difference of the two roles either, otherwise there is no reason for you to argue.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Clearly you don't know that playmaker and box to box can play in double pivot and very clear to me that you don't even know the difference of the two roles either, otherwise there is no reason for you to argue.
What I've said is dVB can play the equivalent role Pogba is deployed to do in our team, and plausibly do it better.

I don't give two shits about whether one is a natural playmaker or box to box. I care about the role they are expected to serve in our system. That role has been consistent in the comparison and you've been too thick to grasp this.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What I've said is dVB can play the equivalent role Pogba is deployed to do in our team, and plausibly do it better.

I don't give two shits about whether one is a natural playmaker or box to box. I care about the role they are expected to serve in our system. That role has been consistent in the comparison and you've been too thick to grasp this.
I don't give a shit what you said because your argument is pointless and unnecessary to my post. You are the only one who had issue with it, trying to make it big deal and argue while the other poster had no issue and understood.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't give a shit what you said because your argument is pointless and unnecessary to my post. You are the only one who had issue with it, trying to make it big deal and argue while the other poster had no issue and understood.
It's not pointless, because you can have two different players that compete for the same role. Anyway, move on and try and educate yourself a bit more on the game. Cheers

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Not sure if this has been posted but quite enjoyed it

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's not pointless, because you can have two different players that compete for the same role. Anyway, move on and try and educate yourself a bit more on the game. Cheers
Pogba's role is to offer creativity by finding his team mate with his passing range ability. That's not the role that people should expect to give to VDB to get the best out of him.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Played on a different speed compared anybody else around him. Constantly moves around, plays one-touch passes (...) A shame that his energy and enthusiasm weren't contagious.
I didn't watch that game, but others which showed such a lack of collective intensity, coordination, and precision. Imo, that means there's a good chance people wouldn't be much happier with Sancho than they are with Pogba.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Pogba's role is to offer creativity by finding his team mate with his passing range ability. That's not the role that people should expect to give to VDB to get the best out of him.
That's not his sole role in the team though is it? He's expected to string together attack and defence, press the ball, display composure in tight spaces when pressed and so on. DvB can plausibly do this job better, all while Pogba being the naturally more creative player. Since this is a pivot role, creativity isn't the forefront of our expectations.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He looks a good player but where does he fit into our best XI? Or have we just brought him in to add depth and allow more rotation?
Depth this year, sometimes playing with Bruno and Pogba, sometimes rotating. Next year IMO Pogba is off and VdB just slots in his spot.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's not his sole role in the team though is it? He's expected to string together attack and defence, press the ball, display composure in tight spaces when pressed and so on. DvB can plausibly do this job better, all while Pogba being the naturally more creative player. Since this is a pivot role, creativity isn't the forefront of our expectations.
The main reason why Ole & Deschamps played him in pivot because of his ability to drop deep, receive the ball, find his team mate and play any type and range of passes, something that United & France don't have for such a job apart from Pogba. Ole actually mentioned this before during last season in his conference that he said Pogba can play as 6, 8, 10 and he added in his comment that when he plays deep he can comes deep to get the ball and play his long range passes.

snowkarl

Only Mata that was trying to find him, nobody else capable of playing forward balls when he was on the pitch.
He was occupying Lingard's space all game though. Didn't drift out wide enough tbh.

He's also so so slow, a bit surprised by that to be honest. If you're not quick you have to be strong and he's really neither.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Think he looked good. He wanted to play intricate football that the others weren't capable of or interested in. Love the positions he picks up.

He's going to prove a good signing I'm sure

Mr. Ant

To me it seems like he has two very different styles of playing. Tonight nobody gave the ball to him so he played as a poacher almost. I would like to see him play as an 8 where he can get on the ball.

Bwuk

Think he looked good. He wanted to play intricate football that the others weren't capable of or interested in. Love the positions he picks up.

Agreed. Always looks for the 1-2.

acnumber9

He was poor. Getting a little of the new player benefit of the doubt here. I’m sure he’ll play better with better players though.

Mcking

Only Ighalo was worse today. Lost the ball most times he was found and didn't look very strong under pressure.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Well drilled Ajax attack vs reliance upon individual talent attack. Gonna be frustrating for him if we dont step up our team play - similar to Mata in his time here in a way.

Zoo

Good movement and some lovely one touch play. Only Juan was on his wavelength tonight.

Ekeke

Had some nice ideas for flicks into teammates but they werent on the same wavelengths and they didnt really come off.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's good in and around the box, so really needs to be the most advanced of the 3 midfielders whenever he plays.

Highfather_24

Have no idea what people are saying here. Thought he was one of our best players today, and most others were not even on his wavelength. Mata was but his execution was poor.

izec

Well drilled Ajax attack vs reliance upon individual talent attack. Gonna be frustrating for him if we dont step up our team play - similar to Mata in his time here in a way.
yep, that is pretty much what i said when we signed him. Better players disappeared here, especially guys in pockets get ignored

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
He was above average today but you can see how fast his brain is. We need him starting with our first team then we get to see the real him because he’s not a player that shines individually but with teammates that are in sync he’s fantastic

Shark

@NotShark
Think some are being a bit harsh, could have scored and movement and passing play was good for the most part.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Surprised by the split of people rating his performance?

I think for a first start, around a team who has little creativity, he looks like he can make things happen when he is in the midst of the first team. Thought he was promising

Zen86

I thought he looked ok. He’s just not quite on the same page as the rest of the team at the moment which is understandable. His link up play seems a lot more intricate than the players around him could deal with.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Only Mata that was trying to find him, nobody else capable of playing forward balls when he was on the pitch.
This is why I said he was a silly signing. His best attributes are off the ball, finding space, linking up with 1-2s and we have enough of them players. We need more midfielders who can take the initiative.

We're going to have the exact same problem as last season. If Pogba and Bruno are off form or aren't playing, we'll have no other central players with any creative ability. We needed a deep cm who can dictate games and cover the pitch defensively, and/or a playmaker to take the burden off of Bruno/Pogba, and Donny is neither.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His first touch is great. Classic Ajax product.

He'sRaldo

Struggled a bit today, but then again whenever our good players are surrounded by the 2nd string they usually struggle.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He's one of better players so far at start of the season. We're gaining movement and unpredictability against oppo's defense, it will pay off when our other players will find more stamina and fitness.

Stretender

There are some posters on here who haven't got a clue about football.

Any top 4 team would kill to have an intelligent footballer like Van De Beek at the price he was bought at.

Probably the same posters who said Greenwood should have gone on loan and Mengi should at the moment go on loan.

I guess it's human nature anyway. You can write one exam and people give different answers to the same question.

But some of you on here ahhh its too much. Watch more football please. Stay away from the netball

snowkarl

There are some posters on here who haven't got a clue about football.

Any top 4 team would kill to have an intelligent footballer like Van De Beek at the price he was bought at.

Probably the same posters who said Greenwood should have gone on loan and Mengi should at the moment go on loan.

I guess it's human nature anyway. You can write one exam and people give different answers to the same question.

But some of you on here ahhh its too much. Watch more football please. Stay away from the netball
If this was truly the case, why was no one else interested in him?

Arsenal are desperate for midfielders yet didn't think he was value for money.

He's good at playing 1-2s but he's honestly very slow. Also not very strong. Not great shot or dribbling. Since we create nothing and struggle to pass well, I'm not sure his style is going to be efficient for us.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He did okay considering who he was playing with. Will only get better. Best signing of the season for us so far

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think to get the best of him you need to play him alongside a creator like fernandes. He's a poacher type of #10 not a creator.

Eddy_JukeZ

This is why I said he was a silly signing. His best attributes are off the ball, finding space, linking up with 1-2s and we have enough of them players. We need more midfielders who can take the initiative.

We're going to have the exact same problem as last season. If Pogba and Bruno are off form or aren't playing, we'll have no other central players with any creative ability. We needed a deep cm who can dictate games and cover the pitch defensively, and/or a playmaker to take the burden off of Bruno/Pogba, and Donny is neither.
I don't know if he's necessarily a silly signing, but I agree with the gist of your post.

I would have rather signed a metronome midfielder than VDB.

That said, it's early days.

youngrell

The ball always seems to land at his feet in and around the box, which is a promising sign.

Just needs some time with the new teammates because there was nothing wrong with what he was trying to do, just no one knew that he was going to do it.

Stretender

If this was truly the case, why was no one else interested in him?

Arsenal are desperate for midfielders yet didn't think he was value for money.

He's good at playing 1-2s but he's honestly very slow. Also not very strong. Not great shot or dribbling. Since we create nothing and struggle to pass well, I'm not sure his style is going to be efficient for us.
Are you an Arsenal fan by any chance?
You think we should sign players only when Arsenal want them? What a weird line of thinking.

So we signed Sanchez, Maguire and Fred because City wanted them.

Where is Sanchez today?

The most embarrassing post ever seen by myself on here

Status
Not open for further replies.