Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He and Pogba turned the game.

Personally i'd like to see VDB play as the 10 and Fernandes come from the left.

James just doesn't have the quality needed, Fernandes and DVB can play some lovely 1-2 link ups and he'd have a similar impact to James Rodriguez from the right side IMO.

DVB is too good to be benched, really nitted the attack together nicely and was involved in 2 goals.

El Zoido

He'll be in the first XI soon, been saying this since day one. He was never going to just walk in to the team, he has to earn his place, which he absolutely will.

Foxbatt

As soon as he made the first time pass to Mata I said wow and my son said why? I knew that Mata would lay it for a pass that could open Newcastle up. He was very good in his first time passing and moving into space. I would say Mata, Bruno and DVB can play in our midfield. But I would put a defensive midfield to play with them.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
He's quality. I think easing him in is probably the right idea for this absolute mess of a squad we have but he's already showing his class and ability playing fast paced intricate football.

The United

He is a tidy player who operates way forward. I think he is exactly the player who should come on late to stretch and keep the ball in late tight games.

I have not seen much of him to say he will work in deeper positions. I just don't think he has a good passing range to play from deep.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's quality. I think easing him in is probably the right idea for this absolute mess of a squad we have but he's already showing his class and ability playing fast paced intricate football.
Inclined to agree. It puts the right kind of pressure on when you ease them in. You’ve got to show you can earn your place, rather than bam you’re in the team and you better be great.

Devil may care

His movement and intelligent use of the ball is first class, I'd like to see him start in the double pivot.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His one-touch play between the lines is very good. Looking forward to seeing him more this season when our lads get on his wavelength. Himself and a 25-year-old Mata would be wonderful to see every week. Lovely touches from both tonight.
THis is the way forward. Bruno-VDB-Mata floating around behind a Forward. What a sight to behold.

I disagreed with him in double pivot, as his best work with us so far is further up the pitch. He may have that skill, but he has not shown it with us yet. So I don't know if people want him on double pivot, based on his time with Ajax?

Last edited:

Wazza4Gaffa

I wonder if Van de Beek could do a job as a floating playmaker from the wide areas like Mata does. He would be a nice alternative down the right similar to how Muller once operated for Bayern roaming inwards and linking up play while also getting into the box on the end of chances. It would also give him another route into the team (rather than being stuck behind Bruno primarily). Any way we can fit as many of our best players into the team without compromising our structure should be welcomed as some players are too good to be left out of the lineup regularly.

reelworld

He is a tidy player who operates way forward. I think he is exactly the player who should come on late to stretch and keep the ball in late tight games.

I have not seen much of him to say he will work in deeper positions. I just don't think he has a good passing range to play from deep.
Don't think he needs to pass it long to play deeper. He could knit the midfield with short passes and drive the ball forward efficiently. This is useful when we have most of the possession and don't have the space to play it long

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I much prefer him to Lingard, that's for sure. So far that's his role and he is a success in it, and even knocking on the door to replace others.

eire-red

Has to start getting more minutes in the squad. I like how he's always looking to move forward, and taking the minimum amount of touches possible before looking to find a teammate.

Been really impressed with his cameos so far.

The United

Don't think he needs to pass it long to play deeper. He could knit the midfield with short passes and drive the ball forward efficiently. This is useful when we have most of the possession and don't have the space to play it long
We need deep midfielder(s) who can play long range ball. This is the reason why Carricks and Scholes worked so well in late 2000s. None of them were very fast or mobile but their long passes to the forwards sped the tempo up to open up quickly at times.

And, it is one of the reasons Ole is trying to play Pogba there.

Robbie Boy

Turned the game completely. Whilst we were dominating, we were too sloppy and failing to properly open Newcastle up.

criticalanalysis

If those two were in the textbook, one would be correct and incorrect examples
I think it's the way the way VDB has high shoulders when his body posture is set for those one-touche passes and it looks smilar to when Smalling tenses his body and then winds up for a pass. Just a random thing I noticed or imagined.

Castia

I don’t see any x-factor in this guy

Squad player at best
He’s played about 5 minutes for us

and on at 1-1 yesterday and completely changed the game, your statement is very harsh.

tjb

I wonder if Van de Beek could do a job as a floating playmaker from the wide areas like Mata does. He would be a nice alternative down the right similar to how Muller once operated for Bayern roaming inwards and linking up play while also getting into the box on the end of chances. It would also give him another route into the team (rather than being stuck behind Bruno primarily). Any way we can fit as many of our best players into the team without compromising our structure should be welcomed as some players are too good to be left out of the lineup regularly.
This is what I'm pushing for. He doesn't dictate play like Bruno and so is not as necessary centrally. However in attack, having his first touch, one twos, movement and passes would be deadly higher up the pitch.

CG1010

I agree.. I would certainly try it out and rotate Martial, Rashford and Greenwood for the other two front positions. Actually he could also play a false 9 position. I feel he would excel in it.

red4ever 79

He’s played about 5 minutes for us

and on at 1-1 yesterday and completely changed the game, your statement is very harsh.
Guy is absolute quality. Travesty how he is not getting more mins. The way he won the ball, kept it in play and drove the pass forward for the second goal is superb.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Nothing wrong with introducing him gradually, took Fabinho months before he started for Liverpool

That being said I was surprised he didn't start yesterday especially given the rotation in the side

Fluctuation0161

He does look better coaches than our other players. Runs to make angles and triangles for other players to pass to him. The Ajax training is still with him.

Quality player. But it does make me ask questions of our coaching.

predator

Youth NITK
He does look better coaches than our other players. Runs to make angles and triangles for other players to pass to him. The Ajax training is still with him.

Quality player. But it does make me ask questions of our coaching.
Agreed. You can spot it a mile off. Just watching the simple things he does has a complexity to it.
He will have to adapt to our style though which im sure he is capable of because he is an intelligent player.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Currently he is a great option to have on the bench. I am sure when we have Greenwood back and Cavani match fit, Donny will get to start more games.

seegoblu

To me, you need to select a style and formation that brings the best out of Greenwood, Rashford, Bruno and VdB. Everyone else that doesn’t fit in can be shipped out and replaced with someone who does. The effort and creativity from these 4 are what I want to see from United.

I’d even entertain making McT’s dalliance with CB a club-based project as well. If the staff can drill better positional awareness into him, a 6’4” mobile, athletic, physical, expansive (for a CB) passer would be an unexpected building block for the back four.

Adam-Utd

Bruno would do that job better.

VDB doesn't have the speed to do the job out wide. He also naturally drifts wide where as DVB prefers to stay in the middle and get into the box.

ovoxo

It’s early days, he’ll be in the starting line up soon enough.

KW2006

He is so impactful as a sub. Maybe Ole want to use him in the "super sub" role, just like Ole himself in the Fergie-era.

Dve

Right now we have 6 midfielders we can rotate, and we can set up alternative constellations without losing qualify. There´s a hefty program coming up, and we´ll probably see more rotation in the next matches.

.... McTominay - Fred

Mata - Bruno - Rashford

or

................. VDB - Matic

Greenwood - Pogba - Rashford

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I like this guy. Instantly ups the tempo with his one touch football. Big big role in the decisive goal as well.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Is Ole bedding him in gently or do we think this might be a player he was given rather than wanted? All the talk was Grealish and this one seemed to get wrapped up on the quiet in 2 days flat. Does make me wonder.

Found it incredible he didn't start yesterday given Pogba didn't and also that he scored midweek for the Netherlands. Obviously we played well for large parts and got the win so all is well but surely he's going to want to be starting games soon? And I don't mean every game but surely he should be starting when one of the midfielders isn't?

Find it all a bit bizarre tbh.

Adam-Utd

Feel like VDB should be the universal acronym for his name. I'm firmly against everything else.
that's what I said didn't I? I just got the letters mixed up by accident the 2nd time, I feel you were being petty for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.