View full 2020-21 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Ole bedding him in gently or do we think this might be a player he was given rather than wanted? All the talk was Grealish and this one seemed to get wrapped up on the quiet in 2 days flat. Does make me wonder.

Found it incredible he didn't start yesterday given Pogba didn't and also that he scored midweek for the Netherlands. Obviously we played well for large parts and got the win so all is well but surely he's going to want to be starting games soon? And I don't mean every game but surely he should be starting when one of the midfielders isn't?

Find it all a bit bizarre tbh.
he’s just being integrated into the team. We have 6 midfielders for 3 positions. Nothing bizarre, weird or strange. Very normal.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
he’s just being integrated into the team. We have 6 midfielders for 3 positions. Nothing bizarre, weird or strange. Very normal.
Yeah I agree. Ole strategy was to play it safe from the begging, and gradually integrate new players in. Imo that's the correct way to do it.

It all went south because Pogba is at 30% and Matic can't cover the midfield on his own. But still we're trying combinations which worked decently las season, so again I think that's right decision.

He will get his game time soon I'm sure.

Dve

Is Ole bedding him in gently or do we think this might be a player he was given rather than wanted? All the talk was Grealish and this one seemed to get wrapped up on the quiet in 2 days flat. Does make me wonder.

Found it incredible he didn't start yesterday given Pogba didn't and also that he scored midweek for the Netherlands. Obviously we played well for large parts and got the win so all is well but surely he's going to want to be starting games soon? And I don't mean every game but surely he should be starting when one of the midfielders isn't?

Find it all a bit bizarre tbh.
We havn´t seen much of him though, as we don´t have the luxury of seeing him train. He´s been alright when he has been playing, but not brilliant. From Dutch league to PL is a step up.

Trex

I think Ole has got 4 strikers now he can rely on Rashford,Martial, Cavani and Greenwood and about 7 midfielders Pogba,Matic,Fred,Bruno,Mata,Mctominay,Van De beek
I'll like to see Ole start with two among the strikers and four amount the midfielders in 4231,like
Rashford
Bruno Vdb Greenwood
Mctominay Pogba

Or
Martial
Rashford Bruno mata
Matic Fred

So always with a wide playmaker either way supporting the CAM in picking up balls in behind and supply the centre forward and opposite wideman,I think gives better balance and creativity than the MMM with Bruno behind we've been playing plus it better utilize the strength we have in midfield

cyberman

I think Ole has got 4 strikers now he can rely on Rashford,Martial, Cavani and Greenwood and about 7 midfielders Pogba,Matic,Fred,Bruno,Mata,Mctominay,Van De beek
I'll like to see Ole start with two among the strikers and four amount the midfielders in 4231,like
Rashford
Bruno Vdb Greenwood
Mctominay Pogba

Or
Martial
Rashford Bruno mata
Matic Fred

So always with a wide playmaker either way supporting the CAM in picking up balls in behind and supply the centre forward and opposite wideman,I think gives better balance and creativity than the MMM with Bruno behind we've been playing plus it better utilize the strength we have in midfield
Id like to see him actually manage games. He seems to play his favourites too often and keeps the same tactics no matter who they play.
Against a slower midfield? Play Pogba. Deep laying sides? VDB.
Big away games? Fred and Scott.
Theres no reason to be running players into the ground now

Noc-Z

ffs
I want to see him starting, but I don't see an obvious way to do it.

Why do we keep signing number 10s? Mata' has never really been played in his best position here which to me is as a 10. Bruno looks a 10 and so far VDB looks like a 10.

All the while the RW is completely neglected, has been for years.

I think we signed him because it was an easy deal to do .

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I want to see him starting, but I don't see an obvious way to do it.

Why do we keep signing number 10s? Mata' has never really been played in his best position here which to me is as a 10. Bruno looks a 10 and so far VDB looks like a 10.

All the while the RW is completely neglected, has been for years.

I think we signed him because it was an easy deal to do .
In a 4-3-3 or play him as the 10 with Bruno on the left.

personally i'd prefer to see 4-3-3 with Bruno and VDB in midfield with Fred or matic behind as the CDM.

I hope he starts against PSG, he's been very patient.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I hope we'll see him on the right beside Bruno and ahead od McTominay against weak team maybe.

Bruno----van de Beek
------McTominay-----

MattofManchester

Wasn't Herrera a similar midfielder when he came here? Both have huge work rate and willingness to sacrifice for the team.

If we can develop his defensive side in the same way we did Herrera, we'd have two of the midfield 3 that we need.

RUCK4444

Wasn't Herrera a similar midfielder when he came here? Both have huge work rate and willingness to sacrifice for the team.

If we can develop his defensive side in the same way we did Herrera, we'd have two of the midfield 3 that we need.
Wasn't Herrera more of a destroyer box to box type but with a Spanish flavour to his game? I don't remember him being suggested as rotation for the no 10 spot like VDB has been.

MattofManchester

Wasn't Herrera more of a destroyer box to box type but with a Spanish flavour to his game? I don't remember him being suggested as rotation for the no 10 spot like VDB has been.
Never had that destroyer tag before he came here. Played as a very direct attacking midfielder for Bilbao but willing to help out defensively.

I never said it's the be all and end all. It is however, an idea to consider especially with Pogba being the way he is and us needing more quality in midfield.

macheda14

Id like to see him actually manage games. He seems to play his favourites too often and keeps the same tactics no matter who they play.
Against a slower midfield? Play Pogba. Deep laying sides? VDB.
Big away games? Fred and Scott.
Theres no reason to be running players into the ground now
I mean last season he changed tactics against the top teams and on the whole it worked pretty well. Against Spurs this time he decided to just go with our best side and play on the front foot, which against Kane and Son will get you murdered. The one thing that has been a plus for him is managing games against the top sides.

cyberman

I mean last season he changed tactics against the top teams and on the whole it worked pretty well. Against Spurs this time he decided to just go with our best side and play on the front foot, which against Kane and Son will get you murdered. The one thing that has been a plus for him is managing games against the top sides.
But thats before his favourites came in. He narrowed our squad for no good reason. Scott and Fred stuck on the sidelines, even Mata played well with Bruno in EL games and was never given a chance.
Thats the 3 glaring decisions that stuck out to me. Even just for freshness sake he needed to rotate.

RUCK4444

Never had that destroyer tag before he came here. Played as a very direct attacking midfielder for Bilbao but willing to help out defensively.

I never said it's the be all and end all. It is however, an idea to consider especially with Pogba being the way he is and us needing more quality in midfield.
I didn't see much of him at Bilbao other than when we lost to them under SAF. I don't even remember him being deployed as a number 10 for us, I might be wrong but don't recall it. Always thought he was a box to box.

At the time I was just happy to be signing a Spanish midfielder.

Adam-Utd

I didn't see much of him at Bilbao other than when we lost to them under SAF. I don't even remember him being deployed as a number 10 for us, I might be wrong but don't recall it. Always thought he was a box to box.

At the time I was just happy to be signing a Spanish midfielder.
Herrera played as a 10 in his debut in the USA pre season tour and got 3 assists... damn I thought we'd signed a proper gem back then.

RUCK4444

Herrera played as a 10 in his debut in the USA pre season tour and got 3 assists... damn I thought we'd signed a proper gem back then.

Ah I remember that pre season, yeah he looked awesome. Am I right that he never really played as the number 10 in competitive matches for us though? If so I don't remember it, can't remember us playing him as an attacking midfielder.

Which is a bit mad if that's the position he played for Bilbao

Adam-Utd

Ah I remember that pre season, yeah he looked awesome. Am I right that he never really played as the number 10 in competitive matches for us though? If so I don't remember it, can't remember us playing him as an attacking midfielder.

Which is a bit mad if that's the position he played for Bilbao
Looking at our first home game against Swansea we played a 3-5-2 with young and lingard as fullbacks, fletcher and herrera in cm and mata as the 10 behind welbeck and rooney.

I guess they preferred mata to be closer to the goal and herrera being a bit more workman hoped he could do a bit of both.

RUCK4444

Looking at our first home game against Swansea we played a 3-5-2 with young and lingard as fullbacks, fletcher and herrera in cm and mata as the 10 behind welbeck and rooney.

I guess they preferred mata to be closer to the goal and herrera being a bit more workman hoped he could do a bit of both.
Yeah I assumed that’s how he played for Bilbao, good player whilst we had him.

Offsideagain

VDB is a talent. You can see he’s been trained to play the correct ball at the right time. Good control when receiving the ball. Mate in Holland is gutted VDB left Ajax, I just hope he’s not spoiled by negativity tactics wise passing sideways and all that slow stuff. I would start him in every game as he’s been here long enough to be comfortable.

Adam-Utd

Yeah I assumed that’s how he played for Bilbao, good player whilst we had him.
Pretty sure Bilbao played a 3-4-3 diamond under Bielsa and Herrera was at the tip with Javi Martinez at the base. Not bad at all!

That Bilbao side was really fun to watch and played some great football, I can't remember many sides being so dominant against us in that period.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
VDB is a talent. You can see he’s been trained to play the correct ball at the right time. Good control when receiving the ball. Mate in Holland is gutted VDB left Ajax, I just hope he’s not spoiled by negativity tactics wise passing sideways and all that slow stuff. I would start him in every game as he’s been here long enough to be comfortable.
Yeah I think it's very telling when you see how well he connects with someone like Mata who's clearly similarly well drilled in his fundamentals. Especially the second goal we scored against Newcastle couldn't have happened without that very critical initial move and pass by VDB to open the space through the middle. I really hope we dont squander those football smarts like we did with Blind.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's clearly a number 10. He connects the midfield and attack well and over time once he gets more confident he'll become more authoritative as he's still ,naturally, in and out of games at the present.

Hammondo

Yea he was a destroyer.

Water Melon

I do not think that we will offer a better deal than he is currently on, nor do I believe that Paul will be willing to sign a new contract under current terms. He will probably move on, whereas Van de Beek will take his place. Hope he succeeds, looks a proper baller.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He is getting minutes. I doubt he came here expecting to be a starter right of the bat. For now i see him as a player that can play instead of Bruno, or come in as a late sub to do some harm in attack

Nothing wrong with having good squad options.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Some people are like kids with their new toys. They need to all be used the same time.

Trust the coaching team. They may think he will need to add some muscle on his frame to play a lot more -- just like Mason.

Noc-Z

ffs
He looks quality, no doubt but I don't see the logic in signing two top class number 10s, same year.

Bruno followed by VDB - I don't get it. I maintain he was just an easy signing to make. I hope his career isn't ruined by this move. He's 23 and top notch, he should be a starter. So what do you do drop Bruno?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
In,it seems, the blink of an eye, we have a proper squad! I've been very impressed with Donny and we'll see him get more opportunities soon. Really feels like we could field an entirely different midfield at the weekend without weakening. It's ok for Bruno to have a rest, Pogba, whoever. Genuine competition raises everyone's game.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He looks quality, no doubt but I don't see the logic in signing two top class number 10s, same year.

Bruno followed by VDB - I don't get it. I maintain he was just an easy signing to make. I hope his career isn't ruined by this move. He's 23 and top notch, he should be a starter. So what do you do drop Bruno?
What do you do if Bruno needs a rest or is injured or banned? We needed a better squad, although Bruno is the starter an injury or loss of form we need another person to come in. Ole now has that option and if he runs Bruno into the ground again then I will be annoyed.

Ballache

Supports
Martial

He's been here for two months...
He'll play and I reckon we will see all 3 (VDB, Bruno and Pogba) start together soon, especially against "weaker" teams.

Noc-Z

ffs
He's been here for two months...
He'll play and I reckon we will see all 3 (VDB, Bruno and Pogba) start together soon, especially against "weaker" teams.
I dont think we can afford to. Our defence isn't good enough to have 2 number 10s and a lethargic number 8 in front of them.

Noc-Z

ffs
What do you do if Bruno needs a rest or is injured or banned? We needed a better squad, although Bruno is the starter an injury or loss of form we need another person to come in. Ole now has that option and if he runs Bruno into the ground again then I will be annoyed.
VDB is too good to come in only when Bruno is tired or injured. So where does that leave us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I dont think we can afford to. Our defence isn't good enough to have 2 number 10s and a lethargic number 8 in front of them.
Would only happen in a diamond like we played at the end yesterday, with Fred behind and VdB in for McTominay. Van de Beek is versatile enough to play multiple different roles in midfield, he'll be fine.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
VDB is too good to come in only when Bruno is tired or injured. So where does that leave us.
Dutch fans are saying he can play in a number of positions in that midfield. It would be a waste if Ole only sees him in one position and does not utilise that versatility.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He is less than 2 months into a 5 year contract.

It's also upto him to force himself into the team. Remember back to Fred's journey into 1st team.

He'll play when he plays. There is no big deal here.

Sylar

He will play and get plenty of time. I dont see a need to throw him into the team right now (thought I could see it and make the case after the Brighton game).

We have a bunch of games coming and I wouldnt be surprised if he started vs Leipzig.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Narrow 451 would work IMO with 2 of Matic, McT or Fred behind them.
This is of course against "Park the bus" teams. Our fullbacks will need to be on it though.

Lee565

Good player but dont get the signing, when you think of what we spent on him and a few other bit part players/prospects we could have spent all that money (50-60 million) on a proper first team player, whether it had been a central defender or defensive midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.