Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Not a coincidence this. We've looked better and more fluid everytime he's been on the pitch in the league, especially when him and Bruno are playing together. Hopefully we'll see a Fred VDB Bruno midfield soon.
I will spend my free posts of the day in this thread it seems. The statistic sample is not exactly big enough to claim he´s come and helped us score more goals only by himself. It is very selective. I could use the same for different players and pick the right passages of play and demonstrate how much we conceded/scored when certain players started/were subbed on etc. Gainst which teams was it? Which other players came on etc... It is also normal that the team changes dynamics around that time when other players are sent on the pitch and the other team start to be tired..

I like the lad but worshipping him for his limited time and almost nothing of note he´s done so far is, I´m sorry, stupid. He will get his chances if he´s good enough. Let´s chill out.

luke511

I will spend my free posts of the day in this thread it seems. The statistic sample is not exactly big enough to claim he´s come and helped us score more goals only by himself. It is very selective. I could use the same for different players and pick the right passages of play and demonstrate how much we conceded/scored when certain players started/were subbed on etc. Gainst which teams was it? Which other players came on etc... It is also normal that the team changes dynamics around that time when other players are sent on the pitch and the other team start to be tired..

I like the lad but worshipping him for his limited time and almost nothing of note he´s done so far is, I´m sorry, stupid. He will get his chances if he´s good enough. Let´s chill out.
No one said that "he helped us score goals only by himself", but he did win the corner in the dying moments of the Brighton game that led to the penalty winner in the 100th minute, and started off the move that ended up with the Bruno winner vs Newcastle.. Even though the sample size is very small, he's already contributed to us winning points this season coming off the bench so it's really not a bent truth. Don't get so upset over a slight bit of recognition.

MS4

I am not suprised he isn't starting
But i am surpised he gets so little playtime. How can he slowly adapt if he does not play?
And yes, he will get playtime etc. But its now 2 months

MattyB1986

Yooo!! I don't know why people are panicking over VdB he should have known Bruno and Pogba were direct competition for a first team place. The noise is just coming from ex Dutch internationals who probably haven't got a great squad right now, so needing players in match rhythm. He'll be alright.

Ekeke

The one positive we can take is look at Lindelof and Fred. Lindelof had the worst start to a United career since Taibi and then got better... Regardless of how much you rate him, several seasons on he's playing and starting. Fred found it hard to stay in the team in his first season and was then dropped. Now he's getting games it didnt look like he would be getting in the summer. So the point is that while this season he may not have the impact of our big summer signing, just like other players havent in the past (its actually normal for us) theres plenty of players who took a season to get going or for the manager to give them good playing time. So long term we dont need to panic about him having a place in the squad. Its just the normal frustration of us spending our money and then relying on the players we had already, instead of the new signings.

They cant all be Fernandes signings but if by the end of the season he doesn't have at least a common goal-threat presence coming off the bench in a lot of matches then its a dissappointing first season.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Not sure if Ole is going to give him the chance he needs without an injury to either Bruno or Pogba, even though I think he could be integral to the team in providing energy and cleverness around the box in attack. I don't think we see him in any sort of Pivot unless things get dire with injuries, even though I think he could do a job there against an inferior opponent. Either way, our side needs more players like him who can be tidy with the ball while mentally operating at a faster pace than others. It's noticeable how few touches he needs before moving the ball on, and we only have a few players who can really operate on a similar wavelength (Mata, Martial, Bruno and Pogba at times).

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
No one said that "he helped us score goals only by himself", but he did win the corner in the dying moments of the Brighton game that led to the penalty winner in the 100th minute, and started off the move that ended up with the Bruno winner vs Newcastle.. Even though the sample size is very small, he's already contributed to us winning points this season coming off the bench so it's really not a bent truth. Don't get so upset over a slight bit of recognition.
So did other players, Pogba hold the ball well before assisting Marcus in PSG win. probably our toughest oponent this eason, Luton, Newcastle and Brighton certainly are different tier. not taking anything away form him but compared to VDB there is many other players who deserve their chacne before him

Trex

I think the problem I how to fit him in,with Telles I'm not worried because it was a tactical signing someone with a different skill set to Shaw they'll be used based on Ole's setup,with Vdb I just don't know Ole have only used him as a 10 which is Bruno's role the most accomplished starter at the moment,who is just about undroppable, Ole hasn't shown he has a way of fitting them both in that's the worry from me,Vdb is too good to be just Bruno's cover,it's demoralising if there isn't a role to fight for at the minimum

Real Name

Good comments by Ole on him although imo he shouldnt have even commented on it and justify himself of playing or no playing that and that player.

Web of Bissaka

I want to see him pairing with either one of Fred/McT at the dual CDM roles. Then see which partner he's best with. That'll give us who our best midfield actually is. So far we seems to be obsessed in using him more in attacking roles, where we're already over-stacked by manager's demands, part of why he's spending many times as bench warmer.

CAM? no chance ahead of Bruno.
LW? seems not favored atm, likely because he won't provide pace and width thus James is preferred, plus no way Rashford is getting drop, he's a permanent starter under Ole.
RW? 2nd easiest to get into, the Mata role, but Ole seems reluctant, who knows why. Also direct competition with Greenwood.

CDM is the most easiest for him to slot into.

Surely he can defend better than Pogba, and VDB strikes me as a player that can be very balanced in both attacking and defending.
He's definitely good at passing, possession play and build-up. And oh boy we already know how good he is in shooting, playmaking and scoring.

Fred-McT provide the necessary stability and control in midfield, but there is a clear drop in attacking quality. If only one of the Fred-McT duo could provide the extra support in attacking to which Pogba couldn't because he can't balance attack and defend in the right way. Fred is bad at attacking, admit it, he's going to waste a lot of our attacking build-up with his shitty wayward shots and risks passes (which Bruno already is making plenty). McT is generally useful in set-pieces, not in open play (his McTominator form is very useful in open play, dangerous in attacking but he's not in that form atm) plus he does have good distance shootings now and then. Well admittedly, McT's usually useless when we're attacking. Doesn't matter, we need McT to protect our fragile defense. Prefer VDB-McT personally but best to see first how different pairings works.

:nervous:Pity really.. It's a waste of his talent. He's that good and could easily solved our shitty problems. Need to be given the chances.

UmbroDays

I want to see him pairing with either one of Fred/McT at the dual CDM roles. Then see which partner he's best with. That'll give us who our best midfield actually is. So far we seems to be obsessed in using him more in attacking roles, where we're already over-stacked by manager's demands, part of why he's spending many times as bench warmer.

CAM? no chance ahead of Bruno.
LW? seems not favored atm, likely because he won't provide pace and width thus James is preferred, plus no way Rashford is getting drop, he's a permanent starter under Ole.
RW? 2nd easiest to get into, the Mata role, but Ole seems reluctant, who knows why. Also direct competition with Greenwood.

CDM is the most easiest for him to slot into.

Surely he can defend better than Pogba, and VDB strikes me as a player that can be very balanced in both attacking and defending.
He's definitely good at passing, possession play and build-up. And oh boy we already know how good he is in shooting, playmaking and scoring.

Fred-McT provide the necessary stability and control in midfield, but there is a clear drop in attacking quality. If only one of the Fred-McT duo could provide the extra support in attacking to which Pogba couldn't because he can't balance attack and defend in the right way. Fred is bad at attacking, admit it, he's going to waste a lot of our attacking build-up with his shitty wayward shots and risks passes (which Bruno already is making plenty). McT is generally useful in set-pieces, not in open play (his McTominator form is very useful in open play, dangerous in attacking but he's not in that form atm) plus he does have good distance shootings now and then. Well admittedly, McT's usually useless when we're attacking. Doesn't matter, we need McT to protect our fragile defense. Prefer VDB-McT personally but best to see first how different pairings works.

:nervous:Pity really.. It's a waste of his talent. He's that good and could easily solved our shitty problems. Need to be given the chances.
Class post.

I love Ajax and the most recent graduating class and I really really am hurt by Donny not getting a chance but I know it's early days.

I'm more a fan of Fred over McT due to his passing, pace, technique on the ball, etc. and I hope he and VdB get a change to play together.

Man Utd 5:0 RB Leipzig

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'll say this much: it's great to be able to go into a big European game able to rotate out our talisman. Depth is a great thing.

Obiorahking_

He did pretty well today. Some bad passes but he’s definitely someone i trust in possession.

el3mel

He's so good. His touches are so sublime and his movement is very intelligent. He's definitely a number 8 though, and a great CM at that.

Decent proper debut. Pressed well and very neat and tidy on the ball, without really doing much with it. When he's part of the same game as Bruno and Pogba you see why he's not getting starts.

Bwuk

He’s very clever with his touches. Think he’ll start both games vs Istanbul.

The United

He is a tidy player who are useful in tight area. Like in games we are pressing for more goals in 2nd halves. With game like this and spaces, his lack of passing range made him a bit of ineffective.

NinjaFletch

Played well enough but the difference in intensity (if not quality) between him and Fernandes could not have been more obvious. Needs to get himself involved more.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Decent proper debut. Pressed well and very neat and tidy on the ball, without really doing much with it. When he's part of the same game as Bruno and Pogba you see why he's not getting starts.
Think he was what was needed in that first half when they were pressing relentlessly. Bruno would have lost the ball. Then when they had blown themselves out it was perfect bringing Bruno on to pick them off.

Woodenlung

Another decent performance. I'm very impressed by his ability to beat the opposition press with his one touch passing.

You can see that he's an entirely different sort of attacking midfielder to Bruno. Donny gets into the box more and tries to finish off chances or add the final pass. Bruno drops deeper to play the killer ball. Two good options to have really.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If we one day can play Pogba, Bruno and VDB in the same team with a CDM that can do most of the defensive job by themselves- we will be back near the top of european football.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Very weird player.

When he's on the ball, he makes very good use of it. A team of Donnys would've had 99%of possession.

The problem is... he isn't involved much. And off the ball doesn't exist, his pressing is very, very soft. But maybe I've just seen too much of Fred lately.

Definitely not a central midfielder though.

cyberman

I feel bad for him. We have one of the best offensive midfielders in the world in front of him with unreal directness. Anything else just looks slower and less effective.

el3mel

Played well enough but the difference in intensity (if not quality) between him and Fernandes could not have been more obvious. Needs to get himself involved more.
He's not a replacement for Bruno though is he ? He's number 8 at best, while Bruno is better behind the striker and in more advanced position.

Mailo

Him, Mata and Bruno would rip teams apart with intricate play. High IQ football and movement and would probably thrive together.

Kag

His ball retention is a big plus in games such as these.

He isn’t better than Bruno or Pogba but he’s clearly a clever footballer and a solid addition to the squad.

This time last year we wouldn’t have been able to rest Bruno (and get that impact) without having to field Andreas Pereira. Don’t forget that.

arnie_ni

Would feel comfortable passing him the ball with 2 players on top of him. Great touch and awareness of whats about him. Nice cameo

Superunknown

I really liked his performance in the first half. It was tight and Leipzig were pressing us hard. He was calm, always looking for space and kept looking for a pass to take us further up the pitch. I think he was the right player to play in that first half where it was tight, and then Bruno was the right player to come on to exploit the space when Leipzig were tiring and when there was space to hit them. They never recovered after that second goal.

It's a squad game and how well VDB does is down to how well Ole manages that squad. I really like Donny. Thought he was class in that first half. We need to get the ball to him more, though.

Zen86

He’s a very intelligent player. He takes less risks than Bruno, so he’s better at retaining possession as a result. He’s not as spectacular as Bruno when he’s on song though either. He looks like he’s in his element when he’s making quick interchanges with those around him.

predator

Youth NITK
Class.

Didn't put a foot wrong to be honest. His short passing and inventiveness is definitely on par with Bruno or Pogbas if not better.

NinjaFletch

He's not a replacement for Bruno though is he ? He's number 8 at best, while Bruno is better behind the striker and in more advanced position.
The criticism of him tonight would definitely be that he was too happy to stay isolated up the pitch rather than dropping and getting the ball, so no, I can't agree. At least, not with how he's been being used for us.

tomaldinho1

Solid game. I feel their game centred around just going hell for leather as long as possible and then they're fecked by the time they got to around 70mins. He managed to hold his own well and was popping up all over the place - you can see he's not 100% up to fitness but he's just a solid all rounder who is not amazing at any one thing (apart from those lovely first time touches around the box) and can do a bit of everything.

macheda14

He was just a bit out of form, so many really intelligent nearly passes and touches that with a bit more game time he’d deal with more confidently. There were a good few that he just needed to put a slight bit more power on. But god he looks a smart player. Just needed to drop a bit deeper at times.

acnumber9

The criticism of him tonight would definitely be that he was too happy to stay isolated up the pitch rather than dropping and getting the ball, so no, I can't agree. At least, not with how he's been being used for us.
Yeah I don’t see that either. Solskjaer doesn’t seem to want to play him anywhere other than behind the striker too. Not sure why though because he seems to prefer keeping it simple. I wonder does he have the stamina to play deeper.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he was solid if unspectacular. Pressed well, put himself about and his passing was nice and crisp which was useful when we weren't passing out well as a team in the first half.

el3mel

If we're planning to have him a sub option for Bruno then it's simply a waste of money for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.