5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

YAMS49

He's not a strict disciplined 6 which is what Ole prefers. He's a hybrid 6/8, perfect for a 4-3-3 with a holder behind him. I can't see him being trusted as a 6 in the Prem for some time.

He would actually look better next to Matic/Mctominay than Fred.

lex talionis

Donny put in a very solid performance last night, allowing no doubt whatsoever he should be starting more often, with or without Bruno.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's not a strict disciplined 6 which is what Ole prefers. He's a hybrid 6/8, perfect for a 4-3-3 with a holder behind him. I can't see him being trusted as a 6 in the Prem for some time.

Exactly, he definitely isn't a #6. He needs cover and more freedom to roam.

Agree about Matic / McTominay comment. He's far more exciting player to watch than I expected though. I'd like him to be a little more aggresive. I hope he's still in adaptation phase to new league and higher level.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Fred, VDB and Bruno are the trio to proceed with. Flog Pogba off this January/Summer - whichever allows us to get the most money.

nainaisson

McTominay, maybe, but not sure Matic has the legs anymore, as evidenced in Istanbul when he was partnered with van de Beek.

arnie_ni

Very little chance of him starting against Soton I'm afraid. Not going to happen.
Its the perfect game for him with their high press. He's the one player we have in the squad is good enough to deal with it

HowYouDoin

If/when we get Pochettino no doubt VDB will be one of the first names on the team sheet.
He is a perfect Pochettino player. The way he moves the ball, quick passing, makes everything tick.

nainaisson

Its the perfect game for him with their high press. He's the one player we have in the squad is good enough to deal with it
Yeah, good point. I trust him to deal with a high press better than Fred, who always has few bewildering, asinine passes in him, even when he isn't under any pressure.

HowYouDoin

Also great thing about VDB he does have the attributes and the mindset to be good defensively unlike say Pogba who is just clumsy and uninterested in doing the defensive work.

poleglass red

I think the addition of one quality defensive midfielder allows us to play VBD and Bruno in same mid, I don't think any of Fred, McT or Matic are good enough to play that role on their own in pl I'm afraid. Maybe the aquisition of a quality centre half might somewhat negate that need, maybe, but would probably just buy us time. I think both positions need upgraded. The touch passing at times of Cavani, Bruno and VDB was excellent in that 1st half, it seems a waste we can't always have that due to lack of defensive cover.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He just reminds me of a central midfielder version of Daley Blind — very smart, very consistent.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
If/when we get Pochettino no doubt VDB will be one of the first names on the team sheet.
He is a perfect Pochettino player. The way he moves the ball, quick passing, makes everything tick.
Indeed, that's why Pochettino wanted VDB. But he didn't get him

romufc

I think the addition of one quality defensive midfielder allows us to play VBD and Bruno in same mid, I don't think any of Fred, McT or Matic are good enough to play that role on their own in pl I'm afraid. Maybe the aquisition of a quality centre half might somewhat negate that need, maybe, but would probably just buy us time. I think both positions need upgraded. The touch passing at times of Cavani, Bruno and VDB was excellent in that 1st half, it seems a waste we can't always have that due to lack of defensive cover.
The reason for us being so passive defensively is because our defensive line is so deep, leaving a huge gap between CB - CM - CAM - ST

We could get away with Fred if we had quick defenders which in turn would allow us to play a high line. Maguire and Lindelof are so scared of running the other way, they just drop to the edge of the box.

HowYouDoin

McT and VDB might be a better partnership than VDB and Fred. Either way we will see. Our midfield wont be perfect but we do have some good options now. Matic and VDB might be good too.

arnie_ni

We'll play two disciplined 6's & try to counter them. It's very obvious.
And well not be able to keep the ball and will likely give away a goal losing the ball in our own half due to their high press.

Just because its obvious he'll do it doesn't mean its correct.

He could even go to a diamond especially if awb is out with telles and Williams at fullback who are Korean adventurous going forward.

YAMS49

And well not be able to keep the ball and will likely give away a goal losing the ball in our own half due to their high press.

Just because its obvious he'll do it doesn't mean its correct.

He could even go to a diamond especially if awb is out with telles and Williams at fullback who are Korean adventurous going forward.
I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying that's what will happen. Hence is being obvious.

GoldanoGraham

the midfield issues are being exacerbated by the CB issue - Maguire and Lindeloff are continuously caught out of position and are just too slow - until that is resolved we can't resolve the need to have 2 sitting midfielders as protection, which then leads to us having a lack of creativity in the midfield.....

Giggsy13

VDB’s work rate is better than Pogba and is a better fit on our team. Bruno, VDB and Fred should be our first choice midfield moving forward.

UmbroDays

With De Jong and Schone he was the most attacking CM. With Schone and later De Jong dropping back between the defenders(which is kinda funny because Schone started out as a winger) but Donny wasn't super far up the field. More than yesterday ofcourse, especially with his runs into the box.

After De Jong and Schone left he played a bit deeper though because Neres/Ziyech/Promes/Tadic would play at CAM. So his last season at Ajax was a bit more like last night's game. But was attacking a bit more at Ajax, last night it look like he had instructions to stay back most of the time.
Nice. Thanks.

Yeah I think the most studies I did was when de Jong and Schone still played. So he seemed to be more attacking.

What would you say is the best position for him if we play a 4-2-3-1? In the 2 with Fred/McT or on the right of the 3?

YAMS49

the midfield issues are being exacerbated by the CB issue - Maguire and Lindeloff are continuously caught out of position and are just too slow - until that is resolved we can't resolve the need to have 2 sitting midfielders as protection, which then leads to us having a lack of creativity in the midfield.....
Ole is strict 4-2-3-1. It's played at all levels through all teams I believe. It won't be changing as the preferred formation.

Sylar

I hope he starts on the weekend. I think hes done well to start, again with the same midfield vs Southampton.

bondsname

I love how he always knows exactly what to do before he gets the ball. He knows where his teammates are, and he knows where the space is. You can clearly see he used to be an Ajax player and I love that, pass and move is easier said than done.

hungrywing

I love how he always knows exactly what to do before he gets the ball. He knows where his teammates are, and he knows where the space is. You can clearly see he used to be an Ajax player and I love that, pass and move is easier said than done.
And it gives the opposition less time to re-organize.

He was so so good.

Robindinho

He was great to watch when we had the ball. Out of possession though was squeaky bum time. Probably the reason he doesn't start in Premier league games especially that deep
Midfield three with Donny and McFred. Bruno roaming as a right sided CAM. Problem solved.

Dave

Awb
Lindelof
Maguire
Telles

Mctominay
Fred
VdB

Bruno
Cavani
Martial/Rashford

Borys

Statistics Wizard
His body position is very natural when on the ball, seems to pass it around with ease. In contrast, look at how Fred shifts whenever he gets the ball, it's the half a second that makes him look somewhat uncomfortable at times.

Foxbatt

We should go with two up front and play 4 midfield players. Both Bruno and DVB can join the attack. Telles can join the attack and cross well. Ole should start rotating his 4 strikers. Bring either Martial or Rashford later in the game when the opposition is tiring. It's a team game after all. Not just the starting 11.

romufc

Donny looks around the pitch before receiving the ball. He has a radar in his brain so when he gets the ball, he knows who to pass it to.

He is the complete opposite of Pogba, who wants 10 touches on the ball whereas Donny needs 1. That is why we attacked so well, the ball was getting to the forward players on the transition rather than when the defenders are set.

Sea-Cow

How was he in hassling, defending, tracking runners etc? Was he more Herrera or Cleverly?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
How was he in hassling, defending, tracking runners etc? Was he more Herrera or Cleverly?
If you are holding those two up as a reference then Id definitely say the first. Was quite effective in tracking back and made some good tackles yesterday. Definitely provided a critical link in transition.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was soft pressing, reluctant to dive into tackles, and lost all 3 headers. But Fred wasn't much better to be honest, they got very similar numbers. We were poor defensively overall.
What's surprising is both him and Fred had the same passing completed %.

Sea-Cow

Cheers to you both for the replies. I am not expecting him to ever be Leicster City-Kante out there, but if he can provide some sort of fight and defensive hustle for us that would be a huge benefit to our midfield.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Cheers to you both for the replies. I am not expecting him to ever be Leicster City-Kante out there, but if he can provide some sort of fight and defensive hustle for us that would be a huge benefit to our midfield.
Well it's early days but I don't think him and Fred will work. Both are little weak in the air, and can only pass short to mid range. Donny did enough against Istanbul to try him in different setups.

Sea-Cow

Well it's early days but I don't think him and Fred will work. Both are little weak in the air, and can only pass short to mid range. Donny did enough against Istanbul to try him in different setups.
It might be a disaster against quality opposition, but do you think it could work at home against a West Brom for example?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It might be a disaster against quality opposition, but do you think it could work at home against a West Brom for example?
Yeah it could work I guess, but might as well play McTominay instead of Fred who isn't essential to our attacking play. Scott is also a ball winner, and Donny does the forward passing in that scenario. I also Rate McTominay long range passing higher than Fred.

So in two man midfield, VdB + Fred or McTominay maybe yes, VdB + Matic or Pogba definitely no.
He looks tailored to 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 (for extra protection).

Sea-Cow

Yeah it could work I guess, but might as well play McTominay instead of Fred who isn't essential to our attacking play. Scott is also a ball winner, and Donny does the forward passing in that scenario. I also Rate McTominay long range passing higher than Fred.

So in two man midfield, VdB + Fred or McTominay maybe yes, VdB + Matic or Pogba definitely no.
He looks tailored to 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 (for extra protection).
Yeah I agree with that. It would be so much easier though if we had someone brilliant at the deeper more defensive role. If we had a timemachine for Matic for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.