Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No he didn't. He did won some ball back for us by pressing hard though. He was pretty anonymous in the first 60' and screwed one very good pass from Bruno when he moved into the penalty box with Rashford by his side. But overall I think he did ok. Had some good moments and some bad moments, like everyone else today except Cavani :devil:
He made 10 ball recoveries and made 4 tackles, so clearly you must have been asleep for 60 minutes. You talk about him being slow and at the time it was vs McTominay who you would have preferred - there is no extra pace in McTominay vs VDB. Please :lol:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Solid performance. Did has job well.

The criticism of the midfield looking 'weak' fall on Fred/Matic for me, not Donny's role.
Who said our midfield looked weak? We took on a very solid Southampton side who have made their name for their immense pressing and we completely dominated them. If it weren't for our attackers having an off day we would have won easily.

Lebo

My concern is his obsessions with passing as soon as he receive the ball. The rest of his play is good overall

MetoTTT

Excellent game. A lot of energy, pressing resistant, kept the ball, one touch passing, movement. Only lacking in the final third for now. Need to be started on a regulary basis as said since months.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's still young which tends to be forgotten somewhat. Overall he had a ok game.

The United

Just an honest opinion based on the 90 minutes we just played. Good footballer that doesn’t get involved enough. Which may not necessarily be his own fault.
His playing style makes him look like it. An excellent player to play in further ahead.

But, in defending, it can be a problem which it was till we fixed the formation in 2nd half with 2 defending behind him.

kiristao

Was good I thought. Always chose the right pass. Our other players need to realize he is the kind that looks for a pass rather than shoot and should anticipate it.
He also presses very well. Won the ball quite often when he went into tackles. Needs to be a regular starter.

Mindhunter

He is a quick passer and is probably at a different pace than the rest of the team. He wants to contribute and string up passes with others but the challenge is that he is so unselfish at times that it hurts the team. I noticed several occasions when he received the ball in threatening areas and his first reaction was to find a player to lay it off to instead of taking the shot. This is starkly different from Bruno who was extremely selfish during the game today and failed to assist others who were in better positions than him.

He needs to build some confidence and wear his shooting boots if he wants to be one of the front 3 players in the team.

acnumber9

His playing style makes him look like it. An excellent player to play in further ahead.

But, in defending, it can be a problem which it was till we fixed the formation in 2nd half with 2 defending behind him.
Then he’ll never be a regular starter. Because he isn’t as good as Bruno and our centre backs aren’t good enough for the manager not to play two defensive midfielders.

Strelok

He made 10 ball recoveries and made 4 tackles, so clearly you must have been asleep for 60 minutes.
I remember he did like 2 tackles, the other time he did win the ball back some times but compare to Matic and Fred he didn't made the same impact in ball recovering. Would like to see the number of Fred and Matic this match though. It was an intense midfield battle. Tbh I don't think he's exceptional this match. But he was good, especially considering it was a really tough match and I expect more from him.

The below part is not for you VP89.

I found it's quite weird that he was pretty wasteful around and in the box. Which I thought should be one of his strength given the goals he scored for Ajax. Any idea?

Goku23

Apparantly hes injured I hope not but if so it has to be Edison up front Martial on the right hes the perfect technical player weve needed for ages

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I've never seen Muller in a box to box role like Donny. Have you? How many times? I've certainly seen him as the most advanced of the 3. The fact is, Donny is more than just someone who works well in advanced areas, it's a lazy evaluation to suggest that's all he's about and he's shown that today for a 3rd time in a traditional midfield role.
I have fortunately last season there was one game I watched him play in that role. Even this season he has played as CM once.

I never say Donny just works well in advanced areas. I said Donny can adapt or play on the right to play like Muller. Don't make lazy assumption/guess on why I said Donny is like Muller.

It means Muller has the same assets as Donny. Both have the same technique on the ball, very good to handle pressure, composed on the ball, great off ball movement, have ability to find space and create space, likes to play quick & one touch passing & their intelligent gives them flexibility to play in lot of different position midfield or attacking mid. Both are not physically strong & rapid.

Last edited:

The United

Then he’ll never be a regular starter. Because he isn’t as good as Bruno and our centre backs aren’t good enough for the manager not to play two defensive midfielders.
This has been my take. But, it is too early to say.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He's the most press resistant player in the team. Showed that he has some passing range with the long ball to Rashford at the end too.
I am not that sure, tbf. He doesn't take enough responsibilities at times with just passing it back or play first time, doesn't turn with the ball like other players - Fred, Bruno, he just quickly gets rid of it, and obviously while it can help us to beat the press on some occasions on many it puts us only under bigger pressure and we only lose it the next moment.

I am not trying to be negative here but first half I think he was pretty subpar or average at best, didn't impose on the game at all, just tidy at best. Being press resistant is also about the ability to dribble out of pressure, control the play a bit more by holding the ball and not releasing it first time to players in similar or more challenging positions.

But again he only started here so hopefully he's kind of a player who will start playing more expansively with confidence and more game time under his belt.

Let's just keep this thread and its feet on the ground lads! He's showing great promise but some are getting too carried away with basic stuff. Mood is good here but if the game ended after the first half. There would be way more criticism here.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He's a great little signing. He'll improve as well!

Toad

His passing was pretty damn shit at times. Not sure why he got such a high rating today.

Walters_19_MuFc

Can tell hes a product of Ajax. Lad doesnt lose the ball when pressed. Fantastic in tight areas and allowed us to beat the press on countless occasions today.

With Telles as left back, I would like to see more of him in that left attacking midfielder role, where he can have the freedom to tuck inside.

Very good performance from him.

OleBoiii

I think the only think he misses from his game is the ability to drive the ball forward without passing it. I saw some instances where running was the right decision but he chose to stop the play. I don't know if it's lack of pace or lack of confidence, but it's definitely not lack of technique.

Exciting player. I want to see more of him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think it's okay to have that jack of all trades type of midfielder.

To be fair before Fabinho I didnt think any of Liverpool's were master of anything spectacular by themselves.

Van de Beek seems like he can dribble out of a press, be good with some tackling, be good with some passes and score some goals.

I say that because whilst I think VDB'S future is as a sneaky behind CF player like dele alli whilst Bruno can play like Eriksen - he can pull more than a decent shift for us at midfield and not a clumsy one which we see from alot of our midfielders. A very well rounded one infact.

Foxbatt

That's the way they play. Keep it simple. Pass and move. Our players don't know how to pass and how to move. That's why it looks like he wants to get rid of the ball.

Lam

I think he had a decent game.

vdb - receive, pass and move
Our players - receive, turn away from goal, take 2 touches with each foot,, look up, pass, stay at the same spot

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
My concern is his obsessions with passing as soon as he receive the ball. The rest of his play is good overall
I think that's his best quality, stops us from slipping into pedestrian tempo and keeps everyone on their toes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I have fortunately last season there was one game I watched him play in that role. Even this season he has played as CM once.

I never say Donny just works well in advanced areas. I said Donny can adapt or play on the right to play like Muller. Don't make lazy assumption/guess on why I said Donny is like Muller.

It means Muller has the same assets as Donny. Both have the same technique on the ball, very good to handle pressure, composed on the ball, great off ball movement, have ability to find space and create space, likes to play quick & one touch passing & their intelligent gives them flexibility to play in lot of different position midfield or attacking mid. Both are not physically strong & rapid.
Wow, one game. Brilliant reason to compare him to Muller :lol:

Muller was a midfielder early in his career before the moulded him to play predominantly in the final third. To be so presumptuous with Donny, whos career is barely starting off with a top club is just crazy. Especially when he shows good performances in box to box roles such as the one today.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Wow, one game. Brilliant reason to compare him to Muller :lol:

Muller was a midfielder early in his career before the moulded him to play predominantly in the final third. To be so presumptuous with Donny, whos career is barely starting off with a top club is just crazy. Especially when he shows good performances in box to box roles such as the one today.
Me: Donny is like Muller as both have the same assets so Donny can play on the right like Muller.

VP89: You said Donny is just someone who works well in advanced areas not box to box.

:lol: I'm getting sick with your shit reading. Stop making random argument that I never say.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Me: Donny is like Muller as both have the same assets so Donny can play on the right like Muller.

VP89: You said Donny is just someone who works well in advanced areas not box to box.

:lol: I'm getting sick with your shit reading. Stop making random argument that I never say.
You said Donny is a "carbon copy" of Muller, which I said is presumptuous because he can also play in deeper areas well where Muller rarely ever plays anymore. Muller has made his position and solidified it whereas Donny is still making his craft as a midfielder. No one is making anything up, outside of you when you originally started quoting me in the first place.

mav_9me

That's the way they play. Keep it simple. Pass and move. Our players don't know how to pass and how to move. That's why it looks like he wants to get rid of the ball.
That's my style of play. Love it when combined with vertical passing and not Pep style Tiki taka. Many ways to play this game but if you did it right can be impossible to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.