5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The United

Ajax was the perfect environment for him with all the technical and creative people around him. He's just not that special. A slightly better Davy Klaassen.
I think you have warned us about him before. Hopefully, you will be wrong about that for United's sake.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was bad but I wouldn't read that much into it. Some players don't mind playing as a sub, some prefer getting into the rhythm since the beginning of the game. I'm quite sure Donny is the second type.

I still think he's not an attacking midfielder though. He can make a decent midfielder hopefully. He'll get some playing time, not worried at all.

Plymouth Red

I think it’s unfair to criticise him on ten minutes tonight, especially as we had put ourselves on the back foot and were in panic mode.
He’s not had a proper run of games and until he does, he won’t build an understanding with teammates. From what I have seen so far, the ability and attitude is there, but it’s down to Ole to use it properly.
Hopefully, we’ll sell Pogba in January and create the opportunity for VdB.

luke511

He's looked great playing as a no.8 the two times he's been allowed to play there. Everyone else is getting a fair amount of game time in midfield apart from Van de Beek, it's pretty harsh.

lex talionis

He's looked great playing as a no.8 the two times he's been allowed to play there. Everyone else is getting a fair amount of game time in midfield apart from Van de Beek, it's pretty harsh.
Agreed. Ole's management has come under fire on a number of fronts (I'm Ole Stay until the end of the season and we'll see where we are then), but his mismanagement of Donny has been shocking. It's not as though we're so powerful a squad that there's just no room for Donny to get minutes.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Similar to Havertz, they both look very lost.

The failure to even attempt the through ball on 81 minutes was bizarre. It was a wide open pass and it would be disappointing if he misplaced it but he didn't even try it.

UnitedChampionsAgain

The talent he showed for his previous club is leaving him it seems.
Why does this happen to almost every player we buy?

Holocene

The failure to even attempt the through ball on 81 minutes was bizarre. It was a wide open pass and it would be disappointing if he misplaced it but he didn't even try it.
Truly bizarre. He didn't even need to hit an accurate pass, just hit into the space. Rashford would've beaten them for pace anyway.

The United

He has not looked 'great' in any game at all for us... yet.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
He just hasn't got off the ground for us yet. I'm still hopeful he'll come good, but here hasn't really shown anything of note so far. Some people have been critical of Bruno for going for the killer ball too often, well so far van De Beek has been the exact opposite. He needs to show more creativity and boldness rather than looking for the safe option every time.

Dante

Average bang
I think it's really harsh to have a go at him at this stage of his United career for that missed pass.

Playing football is often about instincts and mindsets. When Pogba gets the ball, his first instinct is to play a long ball over the top, and his mindset is to set up counters at every opportunity. That works for him as a player and for Manchester United as a whole because it plays to everybody's strengths.

Van De Beek, on the other hand, was raised in a different league and in a different team. His instincts are more about short passing, and his mindset is more about quick passing triangles. It's going to take him time to adapt to a different way of thinking.

You could see that he spotted Rashford's run, so it wasn't that he lacked the vision. He hesitated because it wasn't the kind of pass he was used to playing. A few more months at United and he'll hopefully get there. It's about making that kind of ball second nature. I don't think he's lacking in either intelligence or technical ability.

roseguy64

It's just classic mismanagement. He doesn't get into the starting lineups, and sometimes doesn't make it onto the pitch. When he does make it on, it's only for a few minutes. When he does make it on, it's debatable whether or not Ole is putting him in the right position. A lot of people are saying he should be played further back, which I agree with.

He could have had an amazing 10 minutes and he would still be on the bench for the next game. I think we're underestimating just how tricky it is to come on so late on into a game and have an impact. Some players thrive on that, especially if you're a striker running at a tired defence or coming on to get a goal when you're 1-0 down. In other cases, it doesn't always work out that way.
We don't need him to make an impact every time he comes on late in the game. Half the time he's on late is to help keep possession.

luke511

He has not looked 'great' in any game at all for us... yet.

Not a glamorous performance, but displays he's very capable of playing that deep position. His ability to move the ball quickly into the attack is an asset.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I could only think it's lack of confidence right now. It honestly was the oddest decision in that situation to do what he did and pass back. It felt very unlike him as well.

He'll be an asset when we're a bit more consistent, but he's rightfully not in our first XI at the moment.

Yagami

Good post resistant
People will soon accept he's not good enough full stop. No matter the position.

You've realised he's a poor #10 and, in due time, will realise he's a poor central midfielder, too. As I said when we unfortunately got linked with him in the first place, he'd be a idiotic signing, and he has been.

RedStarUnited

You've realised he's a poor #10 and, in due time, will realise he's a poor central midfielder, too. As I said when we unfortunately got linked with him in the first place, he'd be a idiotic signing, and he has been.
I dont see 'it' in him at all.

There is no was an attacking player can miss a pass like this. He actually passes backwards here which makes no sense. Id have understood it more if here held on to the ball but nope.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ajax was the perfect environment for him with all the technical and creative people around him. He's just not that special. A slightly better Davy Klaassen.
Yep. Anyone who watched him could tell this which is why it beggars belief that United decided to waste £40m on him.

Ole, rightly, doesn't trust him as well, so that makes it even more strange to waste that amount on him.

Crashoutcassius

Jesus haha wild

HowYouDoin

Down to the incompetent manager.
If Poch is here, VDB will be our starting number 8 as he should be.
He is more well rounded than both Fred and McT and oh well, Pogba is gone anyway. Pogba is by far our best CM but thats been covered in way too much detail already.
After Pogba however, its VDB and its not even close.

Grande

I think it's really harsh to have a go at him at this stage of his United career for that missed pass.

Playing football is often about instincts and mindsets. When Pogba gets the ball, his first instinct is to play a long ball over the top, and his mindset is to set up counters at every opportunity. That works for him as a player and for Manchester United as a whole because it plays to everybody's strengths.

Van De Beek, on the other hand, was raised in a different league and in a different team. His instincts are more about short passing, and his mindset is more about quick passing triangles. It's going to take him time to adapt to a different way of thinking.

You could see that he spotted Rashford's run, so it wasn't that he lacked the vision. He hesitated because it wasn't the kind of pass he was used to playing. A few more months at United and he'll hopefully get there. It's about making that kind of ball second nature. I don't think he's lacking in either intelligence or technical ability.
You’re overthinking it. Way too nuanced. That pass proves all those scouts and Ajax people and so called experts were wrong - he’s a poor man’s Rory Delap without the throw ins.

Teja

Do we have to do this in every player thread every time someone has a single bad performance? I swear there's a whole subset of this forum that loves nothing more than mouthing off at players as soon as they have a bad game while ignoring all history / context.

- He was signed so we don't have to see Lingard / Pereira as #10s ever again and he's good enough for that. As I've been saying elsewhere we're one injury (Bruno) away from being somewhat in the title race to struggling for top 6.

- He had a couple of good games at CM and has shown he can beat the press and keep it us ticking. You need players in the side that just do the simple stuff well.

- Ole did not "destroy" him. He will have is chances, he's behind Bruno as #10 and behind Pogba / Fred / McT at #8. The moment one of those players gets injured / loses form, he'll get a run in the side. It is still early on in the season, I am sure he'll start 10-15 games at the very least.

MileStolar

Took Fred couple of years to work out, cut this one some slack. He'll come good eventually, needs more playing time and confidence. Have some patience

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You can tell why he doesn’t suit us. He killed quick counter attack, he doesn’t play direct enough. This is the United way when they are on counter, you must do it quick and direct not play safe. I hope the manager and coaches highlight it to him. I think joining us could be double edge sword, either he can improve his game to play more risky passes and quick counter which something he doesn’t do or he will never improve his game and will stay the same playing like LVG total football.

zenith

He's a rhythm and confidence player and he'll get there. This year is all about adapting to the team and the country.

Strelok

How he didn't play the ball to Rashford when he would have had the whole half to himself i'll never know
Me neither.

It's not about a #8 or a #10 or whatever, it's his decision making. I was of the opinion that he is a smart player. But could anyone possibly explain why he didn't pass to that HUGE space and pass the ball back instead?

He came on and we couldn't attack nor counter attack. As a result Sheffield was able to pill the pressure on us. We were pretty lucky to come out with a win, for Henderson's brilliant save. He almost cost us 2 pts.

RuudtheRed

He was bad today. You expect a player of his quality to have at least attempted what seemed to be a through ball of low difficulty, which would likely have sealed the win. Immediately after that, the ball was played out to him in the right wing and he lost it with a heavy touch.

Apart from the above, he did nothing else of note. To be fair he only came on for about 10 minutes and it is difficult to get into the rhythm of the game so fast. No one expected us to be more or less pinned back in our own half for the last 5 minutes too. I feel that there's still a case for him to be played as an 8 alongside Pogba/Fred ahead of Matic/McT

Robindinho

He’s definitely not a #10, should have moved Pogba there and played Donny deeper when he came on.

Far too safe in his passing, god knows why he didn’t put Rashford through instead of playing backwards. Even straight after it, a chance to put Martial in but he took too long. Both would have been one on one with the keeper to make it 4-1 and that nervy last 5 minutes doesn’t happen.

Devil81

I think it's too early to say he's not good enough yet but the early signs are he's either had his confidence really knocked or the step up in class has hit him like a ton of bricks. Rashford was wide open for that pass last night, given VDB is supposed to be an attacking midfielder I just don't understand why he didn't try and thread that pass.

Worrying thing is if he's not to the level to be an attacking midfielder at Manchester United then I don't see another position for him. He's too lightweight to be dropping deeper for me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Me neither.

It's not about a #8 or a #10 or whatever, it's his decision making. I was of the opinion that he is a smart player. But could anyone possibly explain why he didn't pass to that HUGE space and pass the ball back instead?

He came on and we couldn't attack nor counter attack. As a result Sheffield was able to pill the pressure on us. We were pretty lucky to come out with a win, for Henderson's brilliant save. He almost cost us 2 pts.
Was so pissed off when he didn't even try the pass, any player who plays for ManUtd or any other big club should at least attempt these passes. All the one touch flicks are good in the final third but in the positions like these, players should really go for the killer pass.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
How he didn't play the ball to Rashford when he would have had the whole half to himself i'll never know
That was simply criminal. Worst match hes had for us by far

I'd love to know from someone ITK about why we signed this guy. 1/3 into the season and he has barely played at all, and when he has played it has ranged from decent to "meh". Did Ole really want him? Considering his other signings have played almost every single minute, it seems strange to sign a player for 40 million just as a benchwarmer

georgipep

It's just classic mismanagement. He doesn't get into the starting lineups, and sometimes doesn't make it onto the pitch. When he does make it on, it's only for a few minutes. When he does make it on, it's debatable whether or not Ole is putting him in the right position. A lot of people are saying he should be played further back, which I agree with.

He could have had an amazing 10 minutes and he would still be on the bench for the next game. I think we're underestimating just how tricky it is to come on so late on into a game and have an impact. Some players thrive on that, especially if you're a striker running at a tired defence or coming on to get a goal when you're 1-0 down. In other cases, it doesn't always work out that way.
I think you do not take into consideration that other players deserve to play ahead of him both based on performance and contribution but most importantly, based on the role they have to play to neutralize and beat the opposition.

jeepers

People who are claiming that any decent player would have made the through-pass should read this. Whilst you guys aren’t entirely wrong, they are professional footballers at that level for a reason, I don’t think we should downplay football education/natural reactions/muscle memory so easily/lazily.

Hopefully he gets to the level we want/hope soon though.

However, I would question why Donny was purchased. Was it to placate us the fans? Or did Ole/Woody/whoever else decide that we would eventually evolve into a possession-based team? Our transfer decisions don’t make any sense to me. First was Maguire. He simply doesn’t fit into a high defensive line. He also didn’t win enough headers against Sheffield (yeah I know, only one match). Donny doesn’t quite fit as well, although he’s still getting used to the league. We do play some quick triangular one touch passing, but it’s not our main style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.