5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

He might be suited to a more attacking role, but he is never going to get that role at a club like Utd, there is always going to be someone who offers more.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he looked pretty bright at times - usually whenever he was around Mata - his heart probably sank a bit when he realised he had to try interplay with Lingard though.

Red00012

Did nothing. He's really a nothing player unfortunately. I hope he proves me wrong but my excitement from seeing him after his debut against Palace has went down the toilet pretty quickly.

He really, really does nothing to even make me evaluate him properly. He's just there, I guess.
Fred was a nothing player as well when he joined

thepolice123

I thought he looked a different class to the turd we had on the pitch. His touch and passes in tight spots helped us to progress the ball up the pitch quickly in transitions.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Could have a stunning assist, Mata should score that. Donny definitely knows how to open up defenses efficiently. Hope to see more of him.

kidbob

Can see why he isn't starting in the League yet. However I won't judge him too harshly until next year. He's proven himself to be a very good player at a high level for Ajax so deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

Tidy but not incisive at all, has to be more adventurous on the ball with that lineup. Made some good runs that were ignored as usual.

Had one great moment with that close linkeup with Greenwood and backheel to put Mata through. He's really good in those spaces, especially playing off of Mata as they're both players that understand the concept of passing and moving off the ball immediately (they're the best at it in a squad full of players who want the ball to feet and don't make runs). Unfortunately, he shows the initiative to get in those spaces far too rarely, confidence is undoubtedly low but he has to do something to differentiate himself and he's just not.

He's also really fecking slow and easy to bully off the ball, it's sad to watch sometimes.

Still, it's early days and we've seen players come back from far worse starts to their United careers. Hope he improves and finds a place in the team, seems like a nice lad.

RUCK4444

The issue is he's looked worse as a #10 than he has when playing deeper. Even today he completely drifted out of the game as soon as Matic came on and VDB pushed a bit further forward.
Yeah there’s that as well. If we are to give him some slack he hasn’t had a run of games.

But we can’t really afford him those games with the ever present pressure on us to get results.

Have to hope we hit our stride and he gets time off the bench once games are won.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The issue is he's looked worse as a #10 than he has when playing deeper. Even today he completely drifted out of the game as soon as Matic came on and VDB pushed a bit further forward.
I thought he looked bit better actually. He looked completely lost the whole of the second half and once Matic came back he came back in to life again. Not the best but back in to some depth atleast and set up rashford for that shot on goal.

I like him...technically very good, love those flicks in and around the box.

But he needs to do a lot more than he's done this season to impose himself on matches.

Floats through games.

dev1l

He needs more time to adjust like many others who switched to pl. Not everyone is like Bruno :)

KW2006

He is bought as a squad player. And he is a level above Andreas Perriera. But certainly cannot say he is a good signing yet. I guess we will see what he is up to when Bruno is unavailable due to whatever reasons and he takes up the spot.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think it’s fairly clear to now see why he’s not played all that much. I’m sure he’ll improve over time but his lack of game-time looks to be fully justified at present.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
On first glimpse he looks like a 5 yard back to the player he's got it from/simple pass merchant.

But he made some incredible little touches that unlocked space for us.

Still has it all to prove but he has that class. It's whether he'll get in much with Bruno playing his ideal position.

simplyared

No not doin it for me! Big disappointment. Knew something wasn't quite right. Obviously he's not impressed Ole on the training ground. Never did understand all the talk about him being bought to replace Pogba or it's too early to judge him, bla bla bla. At present he's not good enough. That's it!

Acole9

Outstanding
He did alright but you have to do more than that to get into the starting eleven we have right now. Hope he keeps his head up and pushes for a starting spot.

Ace of Spades

I was impressed with him, one of the few players who were playing with a cool head and had the technical ability to not keep turning over cheap possession. He was good, he was playing as a CM for the most part and did it well.

His versatility is one of his strong points, and hopefully he can force his way in the team. I don't think a 10 is the position for him, he was never the creative force in the Ajax team, and he will not be the creative player we need to compete with Bruno, but he can be a good CM option.

Galinha

Seriously this Watford team was shockingly bad. And still he couldn’t even get himself a memorable performance. All the excuses about bad players around him or played in the wrong role, it could be right. But he still needs to do a lot more. This is not a cheap academy player, but not close to be better than a 32 old Mata.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Finally gets a start, chucked in with the shittest players at the club and he's expected to do what?
People who don't know what kind of player he is think he's shit. Fair enough, but it's not his fault that people expect the wrong thing from him.
He excels when his teammates find him for the combination play, like what he did with Mata tonight. But he was being ignored most of the time, so then it looks like he can only make safe passes sideways or backwards. The thing is that also does that when he starts his runs.
Short pass -> run -> shot/pass to player in better position.
Whe he's ignored is just a short pass.

Park's Petrified Pooch

Not sure what people want from him to be honest. Positionally and defensively he was exceptional and he kept the ball moving and was progressive in possession. It was a really sound central midfield performance. What else did people want?

kundalini

Decent performance. Lovely backheel for Mata's big chance that was saved. Retains possession well but rarely tried anything ambitious.

Still looks like a back-up player to me at the moment.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I've been a bit hesitant on him but I thought he looked good tonight, he recycles possession well and his movement is very intelligent. He's definitely not as good as Pogba or Fernandes but I think he's a genuinely good squad option.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
People who don't know what kind of player he is think he's shit. Fair enough, but it's not his fault that people expect the wrong thing from him.
He excels when his teammates find him for the combination play, like what he did with Mata tonight. But he was being ignored most of the time, so then it looks like he can only make safe passes sideways or backwards. The thing is that also does that when he starts his runs.
Short pass -> run -> shot/pass to player in better position.
Whe he's ignored is just a short pass.
100% he’s a great combination player and tonight there was Lingard, James, Greenwood, Mata and McTominay to combine with in midfield what did people expect.

Banana Republic

......He looked completely lost the whole of the second half and once Matic came back he came back in to life again. .......
There’s a good reason for that, he was played out of position until Matic came on.
Donny has always been an AM. He’s not a deep lying mid or a DM.
When Matic came on, he was able to replace Lingard and take on a more mobile role and push forward.

KW2006

Just like PES 2021,we are a long passing team, he is a tiki taka player

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There’s a good reason for that, he was played out of position until Matic came on.
Donny has always been an AM. He’s not a deep lying mid or a DM.
When Matic came on, he was able to replace Lingard and take on a more mobile role and push forward.
He looks far, far better as a deeper mid. Not a holding mid of course, but definitely an 8. As a 10 he is generally invisible.

OleGunnar20

Not sure what people want from him to be honest. Positionally and defensively he was exceptional and he kept the ball moving and was progressive in possession. It was a really sound central midfield performance. What else did people want?
I agree somewhat, but feel a bit more ambition and aggression is needed from him in general if hes going to make him mark.

Looking at that lineup today, somebody like Bruno would know it was on him to make things happen and so would play with that kind of necessary incisiveness. DVB on the other hand seems happy to drift about playing pretty interchanges even when the players around him obviously aren't up to the task of making that style work. Much like Mata in that sense as many have said. It works well when you're surrounded by capable players, and flops horribly when those players are Lingard et al.

Overall (for me) he wasn't doing anything wrong per se, but he undoubtedly has much more in his locker, and needs to cut out his general timidity if hes to cement a spot in our starting xi.

Needs more games though of course. And much like fred, first season is far too early to write him off.

mu4c_20le

LVG would build a team around him. He's a very safe, disciplined, and otherwise unremarkable player.

Crashoutcassius

Thought he did well as a functional midfielder. Not buying the usual narrative that he was too genius for everyone else. But don't think he hurt himself here. It wouldn't be ideal if Bruno got an injury obviously but if he did I would back Donny to have an impact

el3mel

I honestly feel like this "his movement and passes are way too genius for other players to understand" is said a lot about Dutch players and I really don't know why. :lol: Seems it's some narrative that sticks with them. I remember similar discussions about Blind.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I honestly feel like this "his movement and passes are way too genius for other players to understand" is said a lot about Dutch players and I really don't know why. :lol: Seems it's some narrative that sticks with them. I remember similar discussions about Blind.
It's pretentious.

Status
Not open for further replies.