5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He needs time. I thought I'd read some of these comments in here. Not every player is a Bruno. Donny is his own machine and he needs time to recognize his surroundings and gel with his teammates. Not like he was bad anyway. He will be a key player for us I'm sure of it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I feel like he is always running in to free space in the final third.

No one is really able to find him when he makes those runs. I saw him run alot of time today almost like a forward but he would never get the pass.

The only person who we really have that has that defence cutting through ball ability is Bruno which is hard to work around tactically because VDB seems to compete for Bruno's similar positions.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Whoever thought it was a good idea to sign van de Beek should be seriously questioned in their position.

This isn’t a criticism of the player per se, but how can you have watched/studied him and think he’d be a good fit for our style and system?
I agree. It was obvious he was rubbish at Ajax so whoever thought he'd be a good signing - nevermind for £40m - needs their scouting privileges revoked.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just doesn’t fit. Don’t think it’ll ever work. We work so well as a transitional counter attacking side of individual talent — he is a system player with emphasis on off the ball movement and positioning in certain zones etc. Very robotic whilst we’re very individualistic and free-flowing.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
He looked good in spots today, but the pace was quite intense for him it seems. This was a proper rivalry game, so I'm willing to accept that it might take him longer to adjust.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Poor, but we can't be harsh. He hasn't played in a while, to come into the team when he hasn't played for a long is a big ask. We have to wait and see with him.

He'sRaldo

A combo of Donny and Bruno would be the perfect attacking mid.

Donny is uber possession focused, while Bruno is uber risky. They both need to take a page from the other's book.

thepolice123

Thought it was decent performance. Moved the ball well for us and helped our transition from defence to attack.

tayside red

I find DVB looks a bit overawed with the whole Man Utd set up
never mind a covid jab for Donny he needs a good injection of confidence, he needs to rub shoulders all day with Mr Cool Martial a bit
time will tell if he can blossom into a player for us, hopefully as he's young and has ability

NinjaFletch

What annoys me more than the pant shitting like when he was 1 on 1 against Robertson and turned back is the complete lack of desire to get involved in games.

You'd think he'd be desperate to get on the ball and show what he can do, but I don't think I've ever seen a player so happy to drift through a game before unless everyone else bothers to involve him.

Jaae

Not ITK
Ole relies on counter attacks and individual moments.

Donny is neither a counter attacking player nor gifted enough to pull goals out of nowhere. On top of that he seems to offer little defensively, is physically weak, and seems to be very timid.

Looking like a waste of money.

MattyLT

Did alright for someone who's hardly played a game, only to get thrown in as a number 10 in a big match against the current league champions. Good work rate and attitude in defensive phases, needs more time to get going offensively - some moments of hesitation when he could've made an impact.

Reactions: Cheimoon

arnie_ni

Thought he was grand. Great first time pass to rash to start the counter for our first

Ekeke

He tends to do fairly well when he actually has an involvement but doesn't get on the ball as much as you'd want him to

Robindinho

Showed glimpses and some nice touches but poor overall - never really in the game.

Not going to be too harsh as he’s not played for weeks... really don’t think he’s a #10.

Hopefully he just needs time to settle in like Fred.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I agree. It was obvious he was rubbish at Ajax so whoever thought he'd be a good signing - nevermind for £40m - needs their scouting privileges revoked.
I wonder if there's been anyone else who would not just say that Van de Beek wasn't great for Ajax, but actually rubbish. I strongly doubt it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Whoever thought it was a good idea to sign van de Beek should be seriously questioned in their position.

This isn’t a criticism of the player per se, but how can you have watched/studied him and think he’d be a good fit for our style and system?
Well you could revert that argument, he's a kind of player we're missing in the squad so I don't have any issue with that. The problem is why we've not been really trying to utilize him in any effective way (and second striker is definitely not effective).
Should be rotating with Pogba in the deeper position.
Yep.

tayside red

What annoys me more than the pant shitting like when he was 1 on 1 against Robertson and turned back is the complete lack of desire to get involved in games.

You'd think he'd be desperate to get on the ball and show what he can do, but I don't think I've ever seen a player so happy to drift through a game before unless everyone else bothers to involve him.
sometimes when you go chasing the game for your own good it leaves spaces for the opposition, young kids when they're starting to play run all over the park, chasing the ball, achieving nothing, he's too good a player to do that IMO...it would make him look worse
I do agree the game does pass him by, however the positions he's been told to occupy must be coming from Ole & coaching staff

Bobski

Well you could revert that argument, he's a kind of player we're missing in the squad so I don't have any issue with that. The problem is why we've not been really trying to utilize him in any effective way (and second striker is definitely not effective).

Yep.
He doesn't have the range of passing or physical capability to play deeper in the PL to a high level.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think some of the criticism is a bit harsh. He didn't do a lot of really note-worthy stuff, but I do think he played his part in us being the better team for most of the first 60 minutes. Comfortably his best performance in the #10 role for me, which was important to make himself an option to play there so we can rest Bruno occasionally. He's probably had one or two better performances in a deeper role though.

There were a few times that he seemed a bit lazy when a Liverpool player near him had the ball and he just walked and watched.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I wonder if there's been anyone else who would not just say that Van de Beek wasn't great for Ajax, but actually rubbish. I strongly doubt it.
Well, I believe there were a few other posters on here who knew he was rubbish, too. It's a shame we were in the minority, though, as it was clear that he was, in fact, rubbish.

Tragically Hip

I think this thread would be much different had Greenwood cut the ball back to him in the first half.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Quite a dilemma isn’t it, he’s clearly an excellent footballer but as a 10 we don’t get the ball to him enough.

How do you think we can get him more involved?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hasn’t played for a month, thought he played well personally. Obviously lacking a little bit of match sharpness but played some lovely touches and passes, good signs.

Ole needs to trust him more, I’d like to see him play a bit deeper against Sheffield.

People saying he wasn’t involved much need to understand we always counter through the wings especially against liverpool. He got into the box plenty but the passes rarely came.

Decent 7/10 performance

RedDevil@84

Once again. There was nothing remarkable about him.
Don't understand the fuss about him. Very useful squad player. No shame in that

Crashoutcassius

I think the point is that he brings something different though

The signing was praised in summer because we are great when allowed to counter and less so when not, and because he had no depth to makes subs to impact a game we are chasing Vs a deep side. None of that relevant today but he needed the minutes I guess

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He needs time. Genuine question what are his qualities? Or style of play?

Crashoutcassius

Hasn’t played for a month, thought he played well personally. Obviously lacking a little bit of match sharpness but played some lovely touches and passes, good signs.

Ole needs to trust him more, I’d like to see him play a bit deeper against Sheffield.

People saying he wasn’t involved much need to understand we always counter through the wings especially against liverpool. He got into the box plenty but the passes rarely came.

Decent 7/10 performance
Do you not think though that we are top of the table and don't actually need to trust him to play for the sake of jt when it might make us worse

eire-red

He's a player who can look like he's not involved at all, but quietly keeps the attacking momentum going with those first time passes.

Looks to me like his best position could be as a box to box player in a midfield 3. Think he can play that role alongside Matic/Fred against smaller sides.

At the moment though, there's no way we can afford to leave Pogba out of the squad. Think he'll feature in the EL, and I expect him to do well.

NinjaFletch

sometimes when you go chasing the game for your own good it leaves spaces for the opposition, young kids when they're starting to play run all over the park, chasing the ball, achieving nothing, he's too good a player to do that IMO...it would make him look worse
I do agree the game does pass him by, however the positions he's been told to occupy must be coming from Ole & coaching staff
I'd give more credence to that argument if he wasn't playing in Bruno's position who pops up everywhere, leads the press and is always looking to get involved. It's probably slightly unlucky that the player you're replacing has all of the qualities you haven't been able to show, but the difference in intensity is night and day.

I get that we're looking for positives in a £40m signing, but if Lingard or Pereira had dropped that performance they'd be getting pelters and rightly so. I'd really love him to start playing well and prove his use, but there was unfortunately a lot more evidence there to show why he is out of the side than there was to suggest he should come into it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He doesn't have the range of passing or physical capability to play deeper in the PL to a high level.
I agree, but exactly the same applies to Fred. McTominay, Pogba, Matic all have their issues, so I don't see this as a strong reason not to play him deeper. Certainly looks like his biggest attribute is wasted when playing higher up the pitch so I really se no point in doing so.

He seems a bit lost with his movement? Is he very slow? Well early days. Some good things today as well.
Well I guess you could say he's not "very" anything but playing short passes in congested areas (and crazy angles). One special thing we're missing in the team, but somehow seems like no place for him.

Lassitude42

Totally agree. Way too lightweight to play in a midfield two - lacks the strength and aggression to contribute much defensively

UnitedChampionsAgain

Never turned up today. Thought he wouldve really went after it but did nothing of note.
It was like winning with 10 men. Gave him 3 out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.