Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil81

Van Der Cleverley.

All I see is a quiet character who should have been screaming at Rashford to lay him up to cross in the last minutes.

Instead he backed off and allowed him to lose the ball with three players on him.

Offers nothing for me and I can't for the life of me understand why Mata isn't given games ahead of him.

arnie_ni

That’s what happened, yes. Perhaps it was intentional but looking at footage of Ole shouting from the touch line Donny was being ushered back, I thought.

If deliberate it was not a very clever idea. Should have put James on and pushed Greenwood centre instead.
It was definitely tactical. Every game he plays hes almost a 2nd striker. He doesn't play him deep

OrcaFat

We'll need some proof of this - I saw Ole shouting and couldn't hear what he was saying. To suggest it was what you say is very specific and we'll need some evidence, like with the Lingard one where Ole threatened to sub him.
Just going on what I saw, could be mistaken, but relating honestly. Didn’t see the Lindelof thing either.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
You can talk all you want about tactical setups but he doesn't help himself. Doesn't show for the ball, and when he gets it, doesn't do much other than recycling it.

OrcaFat

It was definitely tactical. Every game he plays hes almost a 2nd striker. He doesn't play him deep
Nothing definite about it but I can’t argue with your logic. It is a mistake by Ole in my opinion.

lex talionis

Brought on far too late again. If Ole doesn’t believe in Donny, that’s fine, but then go with Mata instead of Donny.

arnie_ni

Nothing definite about it but I can’t argue with your logic. It is a mistake by Ole in my opinion.
Well if its not tactical he's blatantly ignoring anything ole says every time he comes on because it's every game he plays in the box

spiriticon

I thought he did more in 10 minutes today than in 70 minutes against West Ham.

I see a bit of hope in him rotating with McT/Fred/Pogba

arnie_ni

Do you think it would have made much of a difference? He offers nothing.
I think the tactical switch of getting Bruno on the ball more than Fred, with dvb just of cavani might have made us more creative yes

Redlyn

I died inside when he came on, felt like we had surrendered the game. I even expected us to lose as we'd be effectively a man down.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Felt sorry for him, he had played a quick nice pass in to Rashford to space and VDB was just waiting for a quick one two whilst Rashford was playing fifa street trying to take on 3 defenders directly.

The team dont know how to use him.

Zoo

Donny won't change anything. OGS keeps persisting with our most out of form striker and our defense is awful. McFred didn't lose us that game, so why put Donny in other than to rest someone?
His quick one-touch play in and around the box could have been useful today and certainly would have helped Bruno. Ole needs to put more faith in him.

MU655

We were really open when he came on, and could have conceded a few chances if West Brom's passing was better.

Honestly, he just looks like he has no idea what he is doing in the team. He seems to be a good goal scorer based on stats, but not particularly great in terms of creativity. Most of his goals come from inside of the box, supposedly, but we don't really accommodate that type of play for our deeper midfielders.

McTominay only gets in the box for corners, otherwise, Fred and McTominay barely enter into it. De Beek seems to play as a striker when he comes on, which is a bit odd.

Coops73

The commentators were more excited for him coming on than he was.
So true, he looks frightened to feck and plays it so simply so as not to make a mistake, at least that’s how it seems to me, made no difference whatsoever when he came on.

Devil may care

So true, he looks frightened to feck and plays it so simply so as not to make a mistake, at least that’s how it seems to me, made no difference whatsoever when he came on.
He does look like he's playing well within his shell, at this point he might as well just go for it as no matter what he does, good or bad, he'll not start the next game anyway.

76side

40 million down the drain? Cant see the quality in him. Looks lost every game.
An absolute shocking buy, why did we get him? Thought he was Ajax captain and the heartbeat of the team there. At United he plays with clogs on, dreadful.

Jam

An absolute shocking buy, why did we get him? Thought he was Ajax captain and the heartbeat of the team there. At United he plays with clogs on, dreadful.
He was a cracking player but for whatever reason it just hasn’t worked with us yet, and to be fair we haven’t seen him with a proper run in the team either (not that he’s justified that with his cameo performances but to that same reason it’s hard to write him off when he’s had fleeting opportunities.)

It might be a Fred scenario where he takes a year to find his place and role here, to settle down and crack on.

Or it could well be a Veron, an undoubtedly class player who just doesn’t fit in the team.

Silas

Still find it weird that we didn't just buy a DM with the money. We didn't even need a Bruno backup considering we could simply move Pogba further forward and bring one of McTominay/Fred into the team.

zbcrow15

I was a avid supporter of him when he first arrived and thought that he just needed to bed in but after his recent few games, I just don't think he fits our philosophy and style of play. I really feel like his best position is a false 9 or a second striker. When he played yesterday, he was standing almost beside Cavani in the middle looking to make runs in behind and very rarely ever checked to a player get on the ball. He almost seems to shy away from those situations and that's not what we need in a no 10. We have the players that can make the runs behind, we don't need him crowding that space. He also doesn't ever seem to want the ball. He just aimlessly drifts from one position to another and looks for a deft little flick through to someone else. I just really don't see a position that he fills for us that we could use regularly.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Honestly it felt like it hurt our momentum when he came on. McTominay was having some impact in the second half running into attacking areas, but once VDB came on McT had to sit deeper again and VDB then had less impact than McT was having.
That's because Scott's better, and I've been a harsh critic of Scott.

People thought it was hyperbolic when I said in the summer that, if we do sign him, he'd be our worst midfielder and a waste of £40m. I don't even rate our midfield particularly highly. Donny's just that bad.

Foxbatt

Felt sorry for him, he had played a quick nice pass in to Rashford to space and VDB was just waiting for a quick one two whilst Rashford was playing fifa street trying to take on 3 defenders directly.

The team dont know how to use him.
You could have put Johan Neeskens in this team in his prime and he feel lost too. He is a misfit as he is used to playing a different style of football. He should have never come to United to advance his career. I would say that maybe he plays with Mata both of them may look good. He needs players who can see space ahead and apart from maybe Pogba, we do not have a player like that. Not even Bruno as he is also used to a different type of football.

Foxbatt

I was a avid supporter of him when he first arrived and thought that he just needed to bed in but after his recent few games, I just don't think he fits our philosophy and style of play. I really feel like his best position is a false 9 or a second striker. When he played yesterday, he was standing almost beside Cavani in the middle looking to make runs in behind and very rarely ever checked to a player get on the ball. He almost seems to shy away from those situations and that's not what we need in a no 10. We have the players that can make the runs behind, we don't need him crowding that space. He also doesn't ever seem to want the ball. He just aimlessly drifts from one position to another and looks for a deft little flick through to someone else. I just really don't see a position that he fills for us that we could use regularly.
He is not a false 9. He is a midfield player. He does not suit the way we play. He is used to coming from deep. We do not have any players playing as DM who can pass a ball. We should sell him as soon as possible.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Donny is ideally suited to playing against European teams where he will be and is afforded more time to pick his passes. He's just not up to speed in the Premiership and is playing safe and well within himself.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Donny is ideally suited to playing against European teams where he will be and is afforded more time to pick his passes. He's just not up to speed in the Premiership and is playing safe and well within himself.
So the quickest passer in the squad is not up to speed, makes sense...

lex talionis

I've resigned myself to the conclusion that Donny and United are a bad match for each other. There's no evidence at all to suggest that Ole is striving toward tactics that would suit Donny's ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.