View full 2020-21 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Donny is ideally suited to playing against European teams where he will be and is afforded more time to pick his passes. He's just not up to speed in the Premiership and is playing safe and well within himself.
the good old crap in the PL, but good in Europe argument.

if he can’t play in the Prem, aside from if we rest everyone, he won’t be playing in Europe for us.

got to hope he uses the next 6 months to get his arse in gear and get up to speed.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
So the quickest passer in the squad is not up to speed, makes sense...
The intensity of the Premiership is on a different level to what he's played previously. I am sure if he's as talented as been touted he'll come good. I am only judging him on his United career so far in which he has not yet provided any significant contribution.

I don't know much of his past and cannot see the future.

OleBoiii

He turns 24 in 2 months and his transfer fee was almost 40 million. I get that the PL can be hard to adjust to and that playtime is crucial, but he's not a kid and his transfer fee means that he should be a sure starter soon. If not, then he'll be considered a flop.

I still don't get why we signed him. It's nice to have cover and it's smart to think long term, but 40 million is a lot of money. For another 10-20 million we could have gotten a better player who also walks straight into the starting XI in a position where we need strengthening.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
The intensity of the Premiership is on a different level to what he's played previously. I am sure if he's as talented as been touted he'll come good. I am only judging him on his United career so far in which he has not yet provided any significant contribution.

I don't know much of his past and cannot see the future.
Well even if judged his matches in a United shirt, you'd know that he's the quickest passer. So your comment doesn't make that much sense. There might be other reasons why he's not "up to speed" but passing isn't one of them

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Well even if judged his matches in a United shirt, you'd know that he's the quickest passer. So your comment doesn't make that much sense. There might be other reasons why he's not "up to speed" but passing isn't one of them
I think your loyalties and support (understandable) might be dictating your opinion. I personally haven't yet seen the qualities you mention. He's playing it very safe and simple at present and this could be for a multitude of reasons. There is time to acclimatise to the Premiership and the way coaches need him to play. We all hope he becomes a great player for the club.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I think your loyalties and support (understandable) might be dictating your opinion. I personally haven't yet seen the qualities you mention. He's playing it very safe and simple at present and this could be for a multitude of reasons. There is time to acclimatise to the Premiership and the way coaches need him to play. We all hope he becomes a great player for the club.
That might be so, but you said the he'd benefit from more time to pick passes. If you've even watched him in his United matches you'd know that his passing is really quick. So saying that he needs more time to pick passes is unfair. It's not something he needs to improve and that's not only for the "safe" passes.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That might be so, but you said the he'd benefit from more time to pick passes. If you've even watched him in his United matches you'd know that his passing is really quick. So saying that he needs more time to pick passes is unfair. It's not something he needs to improve and that's not only for the "safe" passes.
No one at united pass him the ball when he requires it.

So many times he makes a pass wanting a pass back for a quick one two - nothing happens.

There is many times he makes a run in to clear and open space but no one has the ability to pick him up (Mctomminay or Fred) or Bruno simply doesnt see it.

He is making the attack more wider when he plays because his runs make the defenders have to occupy him.

He is a good player. I dont wish to rate him high but ultimately I dont want him to rate like crap either ultimately because he is going to struggle here because the rest of the team doesnt understand him or how to use him.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
So depressing reading the earlier comments in this thread. This just hasn't worked for whatever reason, and I'm starting to think this is just a fit (player/club) which simply isn't going to work.

He could be just what we need. A straight to the point player like Greenwood.
During the run in last season, there were games where Pogba, Martial etc overplayed- then Greenwood would just keep it simple and shoot. I can see VDB breaking, late, into the box and doing something similar.
In fairness to the above early comment, however, they were partly right. Certainly can't complain about him having overplayed compared to the likes of Pogba and Martial :lol:

Putting all banter aside

I think the two of us are either watching different matches of Man Utd, or have a fundamentally different understanding on what quick passes are. If I can name one aspect of his play that irritated the proverbial bejesus out of me, it was his constant risk averse passes in which he played in possession. Not quick, not fast, just really mediocre.

Look, I know you rate the guy from previous experiences with your club, but face it, this ain't the level we should aiming for at Manchester United.

Reactions: Sultan

MattofManchester

If we play him and Bruno at the same time, it really baffles me that they end up almost next to each other as two 10s.

I still think he needs to be experimented with deeper, with the game ahead of him, and maybe alternate in that role with Bruno.
That way, he'll be forced to have to play the ball forward constantly, and hold a more rigid position.

He seems a bit lost when he goes onto the pitch for us.

Mcking

Donny is ideally suited to playing against European teams where he will be and is afforded more time to pick his passes. He's just not up to speed in the Premiership and is playing safe and well within himself.
Think he will be more suited to 5-a-side football. The dimensions of an 11-a-side football pitch are far too big for him.

He can't pass longer than a few yards, doesn't carry the ball more than a few metres, and doesn't have the defensive or aerial game to compensate. He has no business in a 105m field at the highest level.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Typical he gets injured before a game he'd like start in, hope he's back for next week

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Is he fit for the friendly against Sociedad ?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am losing faith and he looks like a total misfit whenever he played for us. But then Fred was shite in his first season with us too, would he be able to turn things around and become our new Fred?

lsd

The Oracle
Went into the Ladies toilets by mistake during the game.

Another disappointing day for him in a big game

united for life

Ole doesn’t seem to trust him. We needed game chargers today. He ended up going for one sub. Clearly he doesn’t believe VDB can influence games

Bwuk

It's pretty much March and I still have no idea why we bought him.

This is Klassen at Everton mk2.

izec

Money well spent i would say.

Sell him for 20m in the summer and run, Lingard and Pereira are free and could do the same job (meaning nothing)

Mr PG

Vdb is still a very good player but we need to sell in the summer and get Grealish. He can play upfront on the left and Rashford striker and right side.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's probably best to sell. Seems like there is no trust in him at all.
Yep. What an utter waste this was. I don't even know why were were after one of these system players and that too one who is a goalscoring midfielder when we lack actually midfielders

Red00012

Yep. What an utter waste this was. I don't even know why were were after one of these system players and that too one who is a goalscoring midfielder when we lack actually midfielders
We were saying the same thing about Fred when he signed. Let’s take a breath everyone

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We were saying the same thing about Fred when he signed. Let’s take a breath everyone
We can't afford every signing turning out like Fred and spending a season and a half playing like a nervous 17 year old.

And while Fred's goodish, he's definitely no 50 million player.

ShinjiNinja26

One of the most bizarre situations I’ve seen at the club. He’s clearly a quality player, he’s proven that at Ajax and on the biggest stage the CL, the club also shared that view when they shelled out the £40m for him but for some reason he just isn’t getting game time. On the rare occasion he does get some minutes it’s like our players just ignore him and are reluctant to give him the ball it’s very strange. He can’t even get a start when we’re currently at the bare bones in midfield as well. He doesn’t seem the type to half arse it in training either so I wouldn’t think that’s the reason, I know he’s not made much of an impact when he does come on but you can hardly blame him when he gets 10mins here and there and those are few and far between. He definitely should be getting played far more than he has been, really feel for the guy.

Gazza

The club obviously has faith but it's kinda galling to think we sunk the best part of £65 million on VDB and Diallo while crying poverty during a pandemic. Hopefully Diallo comes good, because so far there is scant evidence of VDB ever being a valuable squad member.

tomaldinho1

The club obviously has faith but it's kinda galling to think we sunk the best part of £65 million on VDB and Diallo while crying poverty during a pandemic. Hopefully Diallo comes good, because so far there is scant evidence of VDB ever being a valuable squad member.
Plus Cavani's agent fee alone was another £10m or so, plus Telles, plus Facundo....we've been very active under Ole averaging 4 or 5 new players a season.

MattofManchester

It's weird. We're looking for someone to link the defence and midfield together behind Bruno, but we've refused to play him entirely.
I'm not just talking about now when he's injured.

He's a clean passer and he combines quite well. He works hard, so you wouldn't lose that aspect either if you swapped one of the DMs out.

There's a good player there. He's not another Klaasen.

I don't see why we can't persist with him given giving Martial 101 chances to play his way into form.

croadyman

I really thought when Pogba went down against Everton that Ole would give him a proper chance, however he hasn't had a sniff at all and yes he did pick up a knock but there were a couple of games before that he could have been tried

Devil81

This situation is just totally bizarre, whilst I will be the first to admit he's not looked great he has to be given a chance to improve and given the level of performance from the team at the moment he should be getting minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.