5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

b20times

He's been a waste of 40m pounds. Its a shame for the lad but he's obviously not performed on the training pitch to warrant a start.
Another Ralph Milne.

bsCallout

Which happens an awful lot in football at the highest level, it's not like squeezing him into rightback. Based on his skill set and strong foot, I see no reason why he couldnt excel at that position, which he has from the small sample size. His play wasnt always great, but neither has he performed great consistently from the left. Wonder what Madrid fans were saying when they moved Ronaldo to the left.
The reason Ronaldo was moved to the left is for the exact reason Rashford plays on the left. So they can cut inside.

We need a RW not a makeshift. We have got that with Amad.

bsCallout

Grealish can play 8 10 and wide. And VDB clearly cant play 6 for us
VDB has had his best performance at 6. Has Grealish ever played 8? And he isn't taking Bruno or Rashford spot.

We rightly brought a RW and a CM that we need. For much less than Grealish would have cost too.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
VDB has had his best performance at 6. Has Grealish ever played 8? And he isn't taking Bruno or Rashford spot.

We rightly brought a RW and a CM that we need. For much less than Grealish would have cost too.
Yes shows how much you know

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
The reason Ronaldo was moved to the left is for the exact reason Rashford plays on the left. So they can cut inside.

We need a RW not a makeshift. We have got that with Amad.
Which worked for Real Madrid, Ronaldo won the Ballon d'Or for us from the right wing. Rashford playing left wing makes him more predictable as he isnt as two footed as Ronaldo is, (we shouldnt be comparing the two in level but maybe a bit in style and attributes). I am still of the opinion that Rashford on the right could be a succes, especially if it was given a proper chance. But it's just hypothetical and you are free to disagree.

bsCallout

Which worked for Real Madrid, Ronaldo won the Ballon d'Or for us from the right wing. Rashford playing left wing makes him more predictable as he isnt as two footed as Ronaldo is, (we shouldnt be comparing the two in level but maybe a bit in style and attributes). I am still of the opinion that Rashford on the right could be a succes, especially if it was given a proper chance. But it's just hypothetical and you are free to disagree.
We don't play the same formation that we did with Ronaldo RM/RW so it's a completely ridiculous comparison. RM moved Ronaldo to the left, playing the same Role that Rashford does for us. It's all well and good saying it might work but your dont buy an 80m player to trial your most prolific player in another position.

Cassidy

Oh yeah, judging by Transfermarkt he's played there a total of 12 times.

123 in Brunos position. 96 in Rashfords.

Nice one Rodney.
Better to watch games than rely on a website

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He was meant to be an upgrade on Lingard.... how's that working out :lol:

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Better to watch games than rely on a website
The eyes these days are utter useless when it comes to football. Always wait for the numbers to get an informed understanding. As far as I remember during their run in the CL he was only playing that advanced role to give them solidity in Mid. The other guy that played DM was a fb if memory serves me right.

Marcus

Incredibly he did literally create the space for the winner.

Van Der Beek to pioneer a new role in football.
Space-Ghost
Creating space is a skill. Well done Donny. He would have scored too, but for Greenwood nipping in just in front of him.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
His contribution is proof that we need more off the ball runs and not players standing around watching and wondering when they'll get the ball to their feet.
Very much this. Rashford, Martial, & Greenwood could learn a thing in this regard.

Cassidy

The eyes these days are utter useless when it comes to football. Always wait for the numbers to get an informed understanding. As far as I remember during their run in the CL he was only playing that advanced role to give them solidity in Mid. The other guy that played DM was a fb if memory serves me right.
Im not even talking about VDB and watching games is best

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No one attacks the space like Donny. He doesn't even need a ball to be class. Only the geniuses at Ajax can create a player that transcends the ball in football.

lost7

It's hard to tell whether people are being sarcastic or not, but those runs he made in the buildup to the greenwood goal were amazing. I think he might be really be the key to us becoming better at breaking down teams that defend with numbers

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's hard to tell whether people are being sarcastic or not, but those runs he made in the buildup to the greenwood goal were amazing. I think he might be really be the key to us becoming better at breaking down teams that defend with numbers
Come on, it wasn't that hard to tell was it :lol:

Seriously though, yes he made a few good runs, but that is setting the bar very very very very low if that is what constitutes a good cameo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not sure either and its confusing.

If Greenwood wasn't there for his header then it turns in to the standard VDB tap in he used to make for Ajax after runs that confused the opposition defence.

Dante

Average bang
In 15 minutes on the pitch he had...

Shots: 0
Shots on target: 0
Key passes: 0
Passing accuracy: 0%
Aerials won: 0
Touches: 0
Dribbles: 0
Fouled: 0
Offsides: 0
Dispossessed: 0
Unsuccessful touches: 0
Total tackles: 0
Interceptions: 0
Clearances: 0
Blocked shots: 0
Fouls: 0
Passes: 0
Crosses: 0
Accurate crosses: 0
Long balls: 0
Accurate long balls: 0
Through balls: 0
Accurate through balls: 0

link

There wasn't any performance to talk about.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Gets a mulligan on the first season, for me. Coming to a new league, no fans in the stadium, and probably the best player in the league playing in his position.

Scriblerus

So we spend hour after hour frustratedly watching our team fail repeatedly to break down teams with well organised double bank defences, then see VDB create a chance by pulling such a defence out of position, and then say he did nothing. I despair. Of course it wasn't a great performance by him, but if you can't see that what he did had value beyond a list of numbers, then maybe you should just watch a spreadsheet instead of the game.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So we spend hour after hour frustratedly watching our team fail repeatedly to break down teams with well organised double bank defences, then see VDB create a chance by pulling such a defence out of position, and then say he did nothing. I despair. Of course it wasn't a great performance by him, but if you can't see that what he did had value beyond a list of numbers, then maybe you should just watch a spreadsheet instead of the game.
It's why stats will never be 100% accurate. Plenty of games when the opposition do crap all but one moment they start targeting and hugging De Gea tightly in the corner and it leads to a goal. The player might have not even scored the goal but hugging de gea was the difference between them getting a point in the relegation battle.

Martialfc

I actually like VDB I think he has quality. I hope we don’t sell him. I’d like him to take Fred’s position because we all know on this forum how much I hate the little Brazilian fraud. I’d love to see Donny play that role he’s done it before, so why won’t Ole try that?

Crashoutcassius

All this great performance stuff is insane but if It lets people relax for a few weeks then it's great. Hopefully amad makes a run next week and fans will stop calling him an 80m flop for a few days

Andersons Dietician

To be fair to him it did look like when he first came on he was playing as the number 9 so not surprising he didn’t get that many touches. Cavani didn’t get that many either when he was on. It is wil to think in 15 minutes of football he didn’t touch the ball. Watching him his movement was really good and he popped up in lots of little spaces so I’m now wondering if I should be lamenting the others around him that they never found him.

It does seem to be a bit of a continuing theme. If you just watch him his movement is brilliant but doesn’t seem to get given the ball by his team mates.

I did think his movement was really good the other day but not even a touch is just crazy.

I’m fairly convinced there is a player there but don’t see where he fits in our squad at all Or where he is likely to get game time. Either has to oust Rashford, Bruno or Pogba and I just don’t see that happening.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Its actually quite simple..

Donny proved in his Ajax years in the Champions League against top tier opponents (Bayern, Benfica, Real, Juve, Spurs, Valencia, Chelsea) that he can deliver class performances on the highest level (on both the SS position as the #8 position). Not by definition saying therewith thay he is a toptier player on the highest level obviously.. He still has much and loads to prove there... But I am saying that there is múch more in him that he is putting out there currently at United..

Both he and the club should make efforts in order to make this work.. It really doesnt seem like a good fit at the moment because the balancer between 'Using Donny in a way which suits his qualities so he can help the team' vs 'fitting him to the current playing style of the team' is way off balance here. Preferably when you buy a player those two factors have a lot a lot of overlap, but this doesnt seem to be the case at the moment in this marriage between United and Donny.

It can still be a success if both parties involved commit themselves into making this work. If United arent gonna give Donny a run in a position in which he can play to his strenghts (which is Ole's good right ofcourse) United should seriously scratch himself behind the ears why on earth they bought him and Donny should scratch himself behind the ears whether he was critical in the club he was joining from a footballing perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.